Labor Day Weekend Clearance
133 Members and 8379 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Looking for a good recipe for potato soup(not fancy).

Started 1316529896.28 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1317146593.943 by sal2008

Tried to search for potato soup recipes but found nothing, although I know I've seen some on here.

Page 1 of 2
lavendersa­ge1316530412.35304 PostsRegistered 3/25/2009

hi proofer,

I make these 3 and we enjoy them all.

Potato Soup with Dumplings and Chicken

4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
4 cups water
seasoning- I used salt, pepper, thyme, celery seed, bay leaf and about 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules

8 slices of bacon, cut into bite size pieces
5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
additional water to cover veggies

3 T butter
1 1/2 cup milk

Boil chicken in about 4 cups of water with seasoning until cooked through, about 40 minutes. Remove thighs and reserve broth. Shred chicken when cool enough to handle.

In a dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside. Pour off bacon grease. Add potatoes, onion and carrots to pot, cook about 5- 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth from chicken plus enough water to just cover vegetables. Bring to boil, then simmer until veggies are tender.

While veggies are cooking, make the dumplings.

Dumplings~

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
pinch of black pepper
1 T oil
1 egg
3/4 cup water

In bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and black pepper, set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg, water and oil. Pour into dry ingredients and mix with fork. Cover and set aside until veggies are tender.

When vegetables are tender, add 3 T butter and then drop dumpling dough, by teaspoonful, into boiling broth. Cook for about 10 minutes. Lower heat and add shredded chicken, bacon and 1 1/2 cups of milk. Keep on low until ready to serve.

Baked Potato Soup

7 bacon strips
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, skin on or off, and diced
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Frank's hot sauce
shredded Cheddar cheese
finely chopped green onions
Minced fresh parsley (optional)

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; stir for about 2 minutes, lower heat. Add the potatoes, half and half, sour cream and hot sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese, onions and parsley.

Ham and Potato Soup

5-6 medium potatoes- diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup diced ham (I use leftover ham or buy 1 slice of packaged ham with a bone in it)
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
5 tablespoons butter

Combine the potatoes,carrots, celery, onion, broth and water in a 5 quart pot.Salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cook over medium heat, add diced ham and cook until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile,in a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook about a minute, whisk in milk. Cook and stir until thickened.
Stir the white sauce into the soup pot, let simmer on low heat until ready to serve. Don't let it boil.
I sometimes add sour cream and cheddar or American cheese.

~ lavender ♥

jankay1316532353.084 PostsRegistered 7/8/2010

I have trouble printing out recipes from this site. I select the ones I want and hit the print button. All that appears are things from left side of screen and no recipe. My printer goes crazy and keeps on and on with essentially nothing. Has this happened to any of you? So have been writing recipes down but would just love to be able to print them out.

lavendersa­ge1316532844.6435304 PostsRegistered 3/25/2009

hi jankay Smile welcome to recipe swap!

Do you know how to copy and paste?

here is a link discussing how to copy and paste recipes...click here. I hope this helps!

~ lavender ♥

humpty dum­pty1316533374.8974052 PostsRegistered 8/19/2007Western PA

My mother made this all the time ... very easy ... no measurements ... 50 years later I still make it ...

diced potatoes

sliced onion

sliced celery

bay leaf

salt & pepper

enough water to cover

cook on top of stove till potatoes are tender

- Good enough is good enough!! -

zelda girl1316535121.283359 PostsRegistered 12/22/2010NJ

Humpty Dumpty has the recipe my Mom and I always used.

MaggieGF1316535847.81536 PostsRegistered 3/25/2010

I use (over medium heat) leftover mashed potatoes and add some chicken stock and 1/2 and 1/2 (about 2 parts chicken stock to 1 part 1/2 and 1/2) sometimes I'll toss in some sour cream, until it is a heavy soup (or "stoup" as, Rachael Ray would say) consistency. I then add chopped green onions or sauteed leeks (whichever I have on hand), some crisped and crumbled bacon, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with shredded cheddar and green onion. Easy, easy, easy. My son likes this so much that I just make extra mashed potatoes whenever we have them so I can make this the next day with the leftovers.

Carina1316536222.54772 PostsRegistered 1/29/2005Arizona
On 9/20/2011 lavendersage said:

hi proofer,

I make these 3 and we enjoy them all.

Potato Soup with Dumplings and Chicken

4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
4 cups water
seasoning- I used salt, pepper, thyme, celery seed, bay leaf and about 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules

8 slices of bacon, cut into bite size pieces
5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
additional water to cover veggies

3 T butter
1 1/2 cup milk

Boil chicken in about 4 cups of water with seasoning until cooked through, about 40 minutes. Remove thighs and reserve broth. Shred chicken when cool enough to handle.

In a dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside. Pour off bacon grease. Add potatoes, onion and carrots to pot, cook about 5- 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth from chicken plus enough water to just cover vegetables. Bring to boil, then simmer until veggies are tender.

While veggies are cooking, make the dumplings.

Dumplings~

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
pinch of black pepper
1 T oil
1 egg
3/4 cup water

In bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and black pepper, set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg, water and oil. Pour into dry ingredients and mix with fork. Cover and set aside until veggies are tender.

When vegetables are tender, add 3 T butter and then drop dumpling dough, by teaspoonful, into boiling broth. Cook for about 10 minutes. Lower heat and add shredded chicken, bacon and 1 1/2 cups of milk. Keep on low until ready to serve.

Baked Potato Soup

7 bacon strips
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, skin on or off, and diced
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Frank's hot sauce
shredded Cheddar cheese
finely chopped green onions
Minced fresh parsley (optional)

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings and butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; stir for about 2 minutes, lower heat. Add the potatoes, half and half, sour cream and hot sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese, onions and parsley.

Ham and Potato Soup

5-6 medium potatoes- diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup diced ham (I use leftover ham or buy 1 slice of packaged ham with a bone in it)
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
5 tablespoons butter

Combine the potatoes,carrots, celery, onion, broth and water in a 5 quart pot.Salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cook over medium heat, add diced ham and cook until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile,in a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook about a minute, whisk in milk. Cook and stir until thickened.
Stir the white sauce into the soup pot, let simmer on low heat until ready to serve. Don't let it boil.
I sometimes add sour cream and cheddar or American cheese.

jJilly1316537741.667388 PostsRegistered 1/31/2009DFW, Tx

Lavender sage your recipes sound really good and easy. I love potato soup. I am going to try all your recipes. Thanks for posting them.

cocomom1316541238.111018 PostsRegistered 8/4/2010
On 9/20/2011 humpty dumpty said:

My mother made this all the time ... very easy ... no measurements ... 50 years later I still make it ...

diced potatoes

sliced onion

sliced celery

bay leaf

salt & pepper

enough water to cover

I also have wanted my Grandmother's Potato Soup recipe-- this looks like it, do you thicken with anything like flour & butter, add cream or milk?Thanks CCM

walker1316543985.113786 PostsRegistered 5/6/2005

Two easy recipes for you:

Potato Soup

1 16 oz. pkg. hash browns

1 cup chopped onion

1 14 oz. can chicken broth

2 cups water

Bring to a boil and then simer 15 minutes. Slowly add 1 can cream of celery soup, 2 cups milk, 4 oz. Velvetta cheese and 1 tsp. dry cilantro.

Heat over low heat to simmer... and top with sliced green onions, if desired, before serving.

Crock Pot Potato Soup

1 30 oz. bag hash browns, not shredded

3 14 oz. cans chicken broth

1 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup chopped onion

Cook in crock pot on low 5 hours. Then add 8 oz. cream cheese...cook 30 minutes more. Add 6 slices of crumbled cooked bacon. Add 4-6 chopped green onions with tops ........stir and serve.

lavendersa­ge1316613468.75304 PostsRegistered 3/25/2009
On 9/20/2011 jJilly said:

Lavender sage your recipes sound really good and easy. I love potato soup. I am going to try all your recipes. Thanks for posting them.

hi jJilly Smile Thank you! I hope you like them if you try them. We love potato soup too! I also make one with bacon instead of ham that doesn't use baked potatoes. That's actually how I first started making it in my teens, after my grandma taught me how she made hers. If I have homemade chicken stock, it makes it even better! Grandma just used water to cook the potatoes.

Have a great day!

~ lavender ♥

forrestwolf1316652420.686004 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I tend to like chowders and stew type of soups...........or call them what you want......I just call them good{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

SLOW COOKER KIELBASA STEW

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced into rings
  • 3/4 onion, sliced into rings
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese (SOMETIMES I USE A CHEESE BLEND AND JUST MIX IT ALL IN AT THE END WITH A BIT OF HEAY CREAM)
Directions
  1. Place half the sausage in a slow cooker, and top with the sauerkraut. Cover with the remaining sausage, apples, and onion. Top with the potatoes. Pour chicken broth over all, and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
  2. Cover, and cook on High 4 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Top each serving with Swiss cheese.
Last edited on 9/21/2011

Last edited on 9/21/2011

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

akaGoldie1316653030.6935659 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010Mid America
Simple potato soup, cook peeled and cubed potatoes in water. Let 3-4 slices of bacon cook with the potatoes. When potatoes are very tender( starting to fall apart) drain water. Cover potatoes with whole milk, and 4 tablespoons of butter and heat, being careful nit to scorch milk. You're done!

In-x-s1316738176.2372553 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location
On 9/20/2011 cocomom said:

diced potatoes

sliced onion

sliced celery

bay leaf

salt & pepper

enough water to cover

I also have wanted my Grandmother's Potato Soup recipe-- this looks like it, do you thicken with anything like flour & butter, add cream or milk?Thanks CCM

I make mine pretty much the same but when the potatoes are done, I dump a can of milk into the water and add a little butter. Sometimes I mash the potatoes a bit to thicken, other times I'll just leave as is.

sal20081316758981.41182 PostsRegistered 7/2/2010

This is how my mom made potato soup. You can leave out the rivels (pronounced with short i sound not long as in Rival crockpot.) if you like. She cooked her potatoes in water and it was very good but I've started using homemade chicken broth instead and it's even better. She didn't add mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes either but my boyfriend likes a thicker soup so that's what I do.

Potato Soup with Rivels

1 large onion, diced
8 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
water, enough to cover the potatoes and onions
salt to taste
2-3 cans evaporated milk, (12 ounces each)
1 stick butter
Rivels (Dumplings/Noodles)
4 egg yolks
1/2-3/4 cup flour

1. Dice onions and place in a large pot.

2. Peel and cut potatoes into bite sized cubes and put in pot with the onions.

3. Put enough water in the pan to just cover the potatoes and onions, add salt. Cook until the potatoes are tender.

4. DO NOT DRAIN WATER

5. Add evaporated milk. and butter. Cook and stir until thoroughly heated.

6. To make Rivels - Add flour to eggs and toss and stir until almost dry. Mixture looks like small dumplings/noodles. Gradually drop mixture into the soup. Cook for about five minutes, until the Rivels are done, stirring frequently.

7. Add more salt if desired.

Tips
If you like thicker soup, add leftover mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes until soup reaches the desired consistency.

Can add chunks of ham.

This makes a lot of soup so unless you like leftovers or are feeding several people, you may want to cut this recipe in half.

Author Notes
When adding instant potatoes, under cook potatoes a little, then add the instant potatoes after the milk and butter but before adding the rivels. Cook until the soup thickens.

http://cookiebakerscorner.blogspot.com/2011/05/potato-soup-with-rivels.html

If anyone wants to print this recipe, just click on the link to my blog, scroll down to the recipe and under the title click on the words, Print Recipe, and it will bring up just the recipe and all you have to do is send it to your printer.

Last edited on 9/23/2011

Last edited on 9/23/2011

humpty dum­pty1316794718.4034052 PostsRegistered 8/19/2007Western PA

cocomom ... I don't add a thing ... I suppose some cream would be good ... I just keep doing it the same all the time ... brings back memories of me as a child growing up at home ...

- Good enough is good enough!! -

ann in WI1316904456.81752 PostsRegistered 8/7/2008

Potato Soup

I make this all the time and everyone loves it. It is very easy an yummy! I do not put the shrimp in mine - I add the corn.

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Show: Paula's Home CookingEpisode: Hot Potato

Ingredients
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, diced about the same size as the onion (I use one package of matchstick carrots found in the fresh veggie area of the supermarket)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 cups milk, whole, reduced fat (2 percent) or low fat (1 percent) – Whole milk works out to be the creamiest)
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 small package frozen corn
  • Crumbled bacon bits, for garnish
  • Grated sharp Cheddar, for garnish
  • Dill sprigs, optional garnish

Directions

In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion and carrots until both are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, milk, dissolved bouillon cubes, and frozen corn. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush. Add the half-and-half, salt, and pepper.

Serve soup sprinkled with bacon bits and grated cheese. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.

Cook's Note: If you don't have access to shrimp, use corn.

RedTop1316963595.4534372 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

My recipe is like humpty dumpty's, but I also add chicken or beef bouillon cubes, or leftover broth to infuse more flavor.

GoodStuff1316996821.9814612 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
On 9/20/2011 jankay said:

I have trouble printing out recipes from this site. I select the ones I want and hit the print button. All that appears are things from left side of screen and no recipe. My printer goes crazy and keeps on and on with essentially nothing. Has this happened to any of you? So have been writing recipes down but would just love to be able to print them out.

Have you tried copying the recipe you want and then pasting it on a blank sheet in MS WORD? If you do this, you should be able to print the Word document containing the recipe.

Katey12611317099665.9432995 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Yummy too hot in Texas for soup:)

Britbrit131317112674.462661 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011
Sal2008, I was going to type mine out and saw your recipe... Exactly like mine love evap milk I have never used rivels but I will next time...I'm so excited now to try yours .. I'm going to buy some chicken Beae from penzeys iv heard it's good instead of buying the chicken broth. If it works it will save me some money plus sometimes I'm out..Is the rivels something old your momma did? Again thanks... Brittany

Britbrit131317112958.552661 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011
Lavendersage, your soup recipes look delicious.. Simple wonderful.. I know I'm going to love them. I will mow have 4 awesome potato recipes.. Dumplings with chicken is high on my list.... Yum yum.. Hugs, Brittany. They All look so good! You ladies r amazing!!! Take a bow!!!!

hungarian41317124316.3531423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

my mil used to make a potato soup but added cooked ground beef as a filler in it...soooooooooo good and so different...

IamMrsG1317129051.0731753 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008
On 9/22/2011 In-x-s said:
On 9/20/2011 cocomom said:

diced potatoes

sliced onion

sliced celery

bay leaf

salt & pepper

enough water to cover

I make mine pretty much the same but when the potatoes are done, I dump a can of milk into the water and add a little butter. Sometimes I mash the potatoes a bit to thicken, other times I'll just leave as is.

This is the potato soup recipe I know from childhood. The only difference is my mother used chopped celery leaves, added no milk, and mashed some of the cooked potatoes to thicken. She always served 'corn cakes' (cornbread batter fried like pancakes) alongside. Wow, the memories! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

lavendersa­ge1317131879.935304 PostsRegistered 3/25/2009
On 9/27/2011 Britbrit13 said: Lavendersage, your soup recipes look delicious.. Simple wonderful.. I know I'm going to love them. I will mow have 4 awesome potato recipes.. Dumplings with chicken is high on my list.... Yum yum.. Hugs, Brittany. They All look so good! You ladies r amazing!!! Take a bow!!!!

Thanks Brit! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} It sure is soup weather here! I love this time of year!

~ lavender ♥

Page 1 of 2