Meant for Mom(SM)
167 Members and 13297 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Deviled Crabs and Crab Cakes

Started 1316178468.08 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1316280273.95 by pizzapixie
replies

What is the difference between Deviled Crabs and Crab Cakes.

Page 1 of 1
happy hous­ewife1316181683.57728097 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

In my experience deviled crab is usually almost all breading - while crab cakes can vary greatly in the amount of breading used. There is a high end seafood restaurant in Pittsburgh that uses only egg whites to hold together their jumbo lump crabcakes. I asked the chef for the recipe and he actually did e mail it to me as well as the recipes for some simple appetizers. He had come out to the tables and was talking to folks and so I asked him for the CC recipe and he was so nice to send it to me.

Shelbelle1316182190.81732888 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I only trust Maryland for crab cakes an dcrab cake recipies, only ones who know how to make a real crab cake!!

flbettyboop1316198625.9389 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010
On 9/16/2011 morning lover said:

In my experience deviled crab is usually almost all breading - while crab cakes can vary greatly in the amount of breading used. There is a high end seafood restaurant in Pittsburgh that uses only egg whites to hold together their jumbo lump crabcakes. I asked the chef for the recipe and he actually did e mail it to me as well as the recipes for some simple appetizers. He had come out to the tables and was talking to folks and so I asked him for the CC recipe and he was so nice to send it to me.

ML: Would you please post the recipe for crab cakes or did he only use egg whites. My grandmother only used prepared chinese mustard in her crab cakes. I am from Md.

Boop

forrestwolf1316220535.025880 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

Now, I have always been told, no, don't make it so, that deviled crab is generally baked and served in the crab shell, and crab cakes can either be baked, or most often, lightly fried.........

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

happy hous­ewife1316271509.34728097 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 9/16/2011 flbettyboop said:
On 9/16/2011 morning lover said:

ML: Would you please post the recipe for crab cakes or did he only use egg whites. My grandmother only used prepared chinese mustard in her crab cakes. I am from Md.

Boop

i can'tdo that til we get home in October - remind me then and I'll be glad to. They are uber delicious. And you bake them not fry them so no oil involved.

pizzapixie1316280273.8876 PostsRegistered 11/24/2010

I would say the biggest difference is that deviled crab is spicy hence the "deviled" title...it usually has dry mustard and some onion and green pepper to give it a little more kick..and yes, it usually has bread crumbs or similar to give it a finer texture also. .Crab cakes (at least the best ones) are mostly crab and very little filler. The following recipe is the best I have ever made and the greatest part is is that I always have the ingredients available for an outstanding dinner!

Crab Cakes

1 large egg

4 T. panko bread crumbs

1 and 1/2 t dried parsley flakes

3/4 t plus 1/2 t Old Bay seasoning,divided for use

1/2 t Worcestershire sauce

3-4 drops hot sauce

1/8 t freshly ground pepper

6 T mayonnaise, divided use

1 pound lump crab meat( I buy the pound container at Sam's Club; it's pasteurized so it lasts a really long time in the fridge)

paprika

Combine egg, crumbs, 3/4 t Old Bay, W-shire sauce, hot sauce, pepper and 3 T mayo. Fold in the crabmeat and try not to break up the lumps too much. By hand works best.

Shape into 6 patties( I use my hands for this also and though the patties look a bit messy they firm up in the oven. Place on parchment covered cookie sheet.

Combine the remaining mayo and the 1/2 t Old Bay and spread mixture evenly over top of each cake. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or til lightly golden.

Yummy !!!!! Enjoy !!!!

Page 1 of 1