Holidays at Home
119 Members and 11727 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Request: Deviled Egg Potato Salad

Started 1304617914.807 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1305996986.46 by dex

A local grocery store carries a Deviled Egg Potato Salad and it's just delicious...well, I want to make it myself and asked them for the recipe but it's a purchased product and not made there......so, I googled this trying to find a recipe but all I'm finding is a potato salad with deviled eggs on the top and this is not it.

I tried to identify what was in there and of course, celery, chopped pickel, eggs, potato's and since it's rather yellow, I'm assuming mustard......anyone make this???

Page 1 of 1
GoodStuff1304618517.9314943 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I haven't encountered this, although I always put chopped hardboiled eggs in my potato salad. Is it just a standard potato salad with deviled eggs arranged on top to dress it up and give it a little extra "oomph"? Sounds pretty easy to figure out, if that's the case.......

nantucket ­shore1304618812.335636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

No, there aren't any visible deviled eggs....looks like any other potato salad but tastes like deviled eggs. If I just make deviled eggs and add them to a standard potato recipe, you wouldn't have the true flavor.......thanks for responding though.

Sabatini21304619144.9472932 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

I'm betting that what you're tasting is as you've already mentioned - yellow mustard. I LOVE lots of yellow mustard in my potato salad! Really makes a huge difference.

GoodStuff1304620025.06314943 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I season deviled eggs with mayo, mustard, pickle relish, salt & pepper, and a little paprika -- all of which are in my potato salad, as well, along with potatoes, HB eggs, and chopped celery and onion. The seasonings are so similar..... I'll be watching to see if anyone comes up with the recipe you're looking for. It sounds interesting.

LilBitMiss­ty1304620294.6976004 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

nantucket shore...Hi. I don't think I have met you and just want to welcome you to RS! Here is a recipe I have used..hope it's similar to what you are looking for. By the way, when I make it I add a bit more celery as I love the crunch Smile

DEVILED POTATO SALAD

8 hard-cooked eggs

3 tbsp. vinegar

3 tbsp. prepared mustard

1 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tsp. salt..or to taste

pepper to taste

4 cups potatoes...peeled, cooked and cubed

3/4 cup celery...diced

2 tbsp. chopped onion

3 pickles..chopped fine (OR a little pickle relish if you perfer)

Cut eggs in half to remove yolks In a bowl, mash and blend with vinegar and mustard. Add mayonnaise, sour cream and salt. Mix well. Chop the egg whites, combine with the potatoes, celery and onion and pickles. Fold in egg yolk mixture. Chill. Garnish with tomato wedges . Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Last edited on 5/5/2011

Last edited on 5/5/2011

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

flbettyboop1304620426.787443 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010
<h1 class="section-title" style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.381em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 21px; font-weight: normal; font-family: 'Trebuchet Ms', sans-serif; line-height: 25px;"> I haven't tried this but sounds good.</h1>

flbettyboop

<h1 class="section-title" style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.381em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 21px; font-weight: normal; font-family: 'Trebuchet Ms', sans-serif; line-height: 25px;"> </h1> <h1 class="section-title" style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.381em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 21px; font-weight: normal; font-family: 'Trebuchet Ms', sans-serif; line-height: 25px;"> Deviled Egg Potato Salad With Bacon</h1>

By Danielle1987 on May 31, 2009

Photo

Photo by Danielle1987

3 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 40 mins
  • Total Time: 40 mins
  • Servings: 4-6
<h2 style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.118em; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 17px; font-weight: bold; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; padding: 0px;"> About This Recipe</h2>

"I just made this up as I looked at a couple other recipes and put them all together to come up with one GREAT potato salad! The pickles and bacon sound like they wouldnt taste right together but trust me, they really make this salad pop!"

<h2 style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.235em; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 17px; font-weight: bold; float: none; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; padding: 0px;"> Ingredients</h2>
  • <ul style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; clear: left; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"> <li style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 16px; list-style-type: none; list-style-position: initial; list-style-image: initial; background-image: url(http://food.sndimg.com/2010/se/list-bullet.png); background-attachment: scroll; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; float: none; color: #862676; font-size: 10px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.3; background-position: 0px 7px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;"> 1 1/2 lbs of baby yellow potatoes, cut into halves
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs
  • 8 slices bacon, fully cooked and crumbled
  • 1 cup mayonnaise ( more or less to taste, I used about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • granulated garlic
  • granulated onion
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 pickles, cut into small pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon pickle juice ( from jar)
</li> </ul>
<h2 style="outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 17px; font-weight: bold; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; float: none; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"> Directions</h2>
  1. Cut potatoes into halves and boil until almost done (don't want them to fall apart). Drain potatoes.
  2. Put potatoes into medium size bowl. While they are still warm, add salt and pepper and the granulated garlic and onion (however much you prefer for taste) and lemon juice and toss potatoes. Set aside.
  3. Cut hard boiled eggs in half and take the yoke out and set aside in a small bowl. Cut the whites in little chunks and add to bowl with the potatoes.
  4. Cut pickles into pieces (as small or big as you prefer) and add to potatoes.
  5. Use fork and smoosh the yokes until you have gotten most of the lumps out. Add the mayo, mustard, some more granulated garlic and onion (easy on both of these as to not overpower the end flavor), pickle juice and pepper. Mix all together in small bowl.
  6. Add yoke/mayo mixture to potatoes. Mix well.
  7. Add the cooked and crumbled bacon and toss lightly.
  8. Cover and chill (or eat right away if you cant wait like I did!) :-).
  9. It's also very good with the pre-cubed pre-cooked grilled chicken pieces you can buy at the store.

mousiegirl1304635948.84314383 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

My potato salad has chopped hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt/pep, and some type of onion, green, sweet, etc., which are the usual ingredients in a stuffed egg, so I think the name implies these ingredients.

Mimi 2 Five1304641300.05778 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Nantucket shore, I know exactly what kind of potato salad you're talking about because the deli in my grocery store also sells it when available.

I too have wondered how do they make it. It's wonderful isn't it?

I'm going to try Lil Bit's recipe because it sounds like it might taste similar to what you're looking for.

walker1304644946.0133910 PostsRegistered 5/6/2005

nantucketshore.......I'm with you....one of my local stores also carries the Deviled Egg Potato Salad and sometimes I buy it to have with dinner......so good and Deviled Eggs alone are such a favorite so added to potato salad a winner and I have wondered the same thing.. how do you make it?........anyway.....so happy that LilBitMissty posted a recipe.

LilBitMissty........sounds like a delicious recipe...........thanks so much....will try!

doglover31304645242.7239685 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I too am happy LilBitMissty posted this since DH absolutely loves deviled eggs. I will be trying this one come summer for sure.

LilBitMiss­ty1304648751.7176004 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

Mimi 2 Five..Hi again my friend. If you try this, please let me know. Smile

walker..Hi gf! Hope you do give it a try..let me know, ok?

doglover3..Hi my friend. I love this in the summer..with a bbq! Yumm!

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

DiamondGir­ly1304662122.042454 PostsRegistered 9/7/2009Sunny California

I did an online search and found many recipes. I guess getting the right one is the challenge. Here's one similar to LilBitMissty's:

DEVILED POTATO SALAD

Printed from COOKS.COM

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,153186-243205,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

8 hard cooked eggs
3 tbsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2 c. dairy sour cream
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. salt
6 med. potatoes, cooked & cubed (4 - 4 1/2 c.)
2 tbsp. chopped onion

Cut eggs in half; remove yolks; mash and blend with vinegar and mustard. Add mayonnaise, sour cream, celery salt and salt; mix well. Chop egg whites; combine with potatoes and onion. Fold in egg yolk mixture; chill. Garnish with tomato wedges and cucumber slices. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Last edited on 5/6/2011

Last edited on 5/6/2011

Buon Appetito!!
Glori in Cali
Go San Francisco 49ers & GIANTS!!!

DiamondGir­ly1304662399.22454 PostsRegistered 9/7/2009Sunny California

Here's one recipe from Taste of Home:

Two old standbys, deviled eggs and potato salad, join forces to make a potato salad that’s a real crowd pleaser.

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds (about 5 large) russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch
chunks
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
3 celery stalks, diced
3 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus additional for garnish

Instructions

1. Place potatoes in large saucepan; add cold water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Combine potatoes, celery, eggs, parsley and mayonnaise mixture. Mix gently with a large rubber spatula. Garnish with additional parsley. Serves 10.

Recipe by Jean Kressy, Relish Spring 2007 Supplement.

Buon Appetito!!
Glori in Cali
Go San Francisco 49ers & GIANTS!!!

maryida1304677278.8232821 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

I add a little horseradish to my deviled eggs so that may be the ingredient you are looking for.

nunnie1304786381.157253 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008Northeast Ohio

Hi to everyone,

This is one of my most requested recipes every time someone new eats it. Really simple and easy.

Boil 5# potatoes with skins on let cool. Peel and chop up.

8 chopped hard boiled eggs (most of the time I use a dozen)

chopped celery

one med.onion chopped

in a small bowl mix real mayo with salt & pepper and start adding in you mustard to get a deep dark yellow color, and pour over the potato mix. Make sure to make enough to make it moist. (you may have to mix up some more) mix well and put in fridge to let the flavors meld together. You can add green pepper chopped and pickles as well. Everyone in the family likes it without those here. Make sure to use enough salt and pepper as the potato will absorb it.

I hope you try this and let me know if it is like the store. I don't think you will be sorry for making it and it is so easy to scale down.

Mimi 2 Five1305736607.013778 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

I made a potato salad yesterday using my usual recipe which is similar to LilBit's but I did something a little different.

Somewhere on this board (I thought it was in this thread but I couldn't find it) a poster said that she grated her eggs when adding them to a recipe. So that's what I did instead of the usual chopping and my potato salad tastes as good as the deviled egg deli style! I also used one egg for each potato but more would have been good too.

Nantucket Shore, hope by now you have found a recipe that you like. This worked for me.{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

nantucket ­shore1305737871.3675636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 5/18/2011 Mimi 2 Five said:

I made a potato salad yesterday using my usual recipe which is similar to LilBit's but I did something a little different.

Somewhere on this board (I thought it was in this thread but I couldn't find it) a poster said that she grated her eggs when adding them to a recipe. So that's what I did instead of the usual chopping and my potato salad tastes as good as the deviled egg deli style! I also used one egg for each potato but more would have been good too.

Nantucket Shore, hope by now you have found a recipe that you like. This worked for me.{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

OMG you ladies are wonderful! I've been searching and it's renting space in my head. I will copy and print and I think you got it!!!!!

This will be made for Memorial Day weekend....thanks so very much to everyone!!!!!!!!!

nantucket ­shore1305742658.7335636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

Well, I learned I can't copy and print from the Q page forums, my printer was going nuts...started to print 17 pages of departments, shop by brand, shoes, bags etc...all the left hand side columns. So, stopped the printing, copied and pasted into a word document and got the recipes.

Mimi 2 Five1305858065.107778 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Nantucket Shore, I've done the same thing before! Seriously though, the grated eggs make all the difference......I think it distributes the eggs throughout the salad much better and does give a deviled egg flavor.

I've got to quit eating the darn stuff though or I'll be as big as a house! Okayyyyyyy, I won't eat it for breakfast anymore........{#emotions_dlg.blush}

nantucket ­shore1305861852.685636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 5/19/2011 Mimi 2 Five said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Nantucket Shore, I've done the same thing before! Seriously though, the grated eggs make all the difference......I think it distributes the eggs throughout the salad much better and does give a deviled egg flavor.

I've got to quit eating the darn stuff though or I'll be as big as a house! Okayyyyyyy, I won't eat it for breakfast anymore........{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I just ate some Monday morning for breakfast (the grocery store stuff)...that is too too funny that you mentioned that....now I gotta find that camera that you hid in my kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akaGoldie1305862080.955683 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010Mid America

I put a couple tablespoons of sugar in my potao salad.

dex1305996986.443102 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006

I always mash my eggs with the potato masher before adding...works well.I like a little dried dill in the salad and some paprika on top.

Page 1 of 1