Creede Silver Sale
160 Members and 14477 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

How do you cook your whole fryer chickens?

Started 1302291943 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1303164224.28 by springers

Hi everyone! I just picked up a couple of 4-5 pound whole fryers on sale and was wondering if you would share your favorite ways to prepare them? I've never cooked a whole chicken so I'd welcome any tips and advice as well as recipes. I have a stock pot, crock pot, and pressure cooker I can use. I do know that I'd like to use some of the chicken cubed in a recipe Sunday, but as for the rest, anything goes.

TIA!

Page 1 of 1
caligrl1302292123.5479049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

I rinse them under cold water, inside and out. pat dry, rub with butter salt and pepper. Roast in a 375 oven for about an hour, mine turns out good every time, enjoy! ;-)

sal20081302293297.853182 PostsRegistered 7/2/2010

You can also prepare it in a crockpot. I just tried it recently and was surprised at how good it was. Here is a link to my blog that shows what I did.

http://cookiebakerscorner.blogspot.com/2011/04/slow-cooker-rotisserie-chicken.html

IamMrsG1302295451.3071787 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Practical Diva, I urge you to check out this link for My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken by Thomas Keller. It is unbelievably delicious and is one of the all-time highest rated recipes at Epicurious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Simple-Roast-Chicken-231348?mbid=epi_widget

kittymom61302295738.7871203 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 4/8/2011 iamMrsG said:

Practical Diva, I urge you to check out this link for My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken by Thomas Keller. It is unbelievably delicious and is one of the all-time highest rated recipes at Epicurious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Simple-Roast-Chicken-231348?mbid=epi_widget

Thank you for this recipe. I have roasted many chickens in a variety of ways, but the dijon just sounds fabulous!

Beebee21302296123.1973904 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

This is one of my favorites. It was my mom's favorite crockpot chicken recipe:

My Favorite Chicken in the Pot

3-lb fryer chicken, cut up
4 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 c chicken broth
1/4 c dry white wine
1/4 t marjoram or basil
1-1/2 t seasoned salt
1/4 t pepper

Place chicken in crockpot, alternating layers with the vegetables.

Mix seasonings with liquids, and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 7 hours.

Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving dish. Thicken gravy with a roux, cooking on High.

Serve over chicken or to side. Serves 4 to 6.

shamalamad­ingdong51302296507.6273313 PostsRegistered 2/12/2008
I butterfly mine. I just take a good pair of kitchen shears and cut along each side of the spine, open the chicken and press down to crack the breast bone. I rub with olive oil and season it with a spice rub...whatever mood I'm in...and roast it at 375 for 45 min. to an hour. Sometimes I will put it over some prepared stuffing and roast the same way. It's a good cool weather meal.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

sal20081302301094.197182 PostsRegistered 7/2/2010
On 4/8/2011 shamalamadingdong5 said: I butterfly mine. I just take a good pair of kitchen shears and cut along each side of the spine, open the chicken and press down to crack the breast bone. I rub with olive oil and season it with a spice rub...whatever mood I'm in...and roast it at 375 for 45 min. to an hour. Sometimes I will put it over some prepared stuffing and roast the same way. It's a good cool weather meal.

I've been wanting to try this sometime.

Beebee21302304322.0433904 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009
On 4/8/2011 sal2008 said:
On 4/8/2011 shamalamadingdong5 said: I butterfly mine. I just take a good pair of kitchen shears and cut along each side of the spine, open the chicken and press down to crack the breast bone. I rub with olive oil and season it with a spice rub...whatever mood I'm in...and roast it at 375 for 45 min. to an hour. Sometimes I will put it over some prepared stuffing and roast the same way. It's a good cool weather meal.

I've been wanting to try this sometime.

Sal, this is another great recipe that butterflies (and smashes) the chicken: We really like the strong lemon rosemary flavors:

Nathalie Dupree’s Lemon Rosemary Chicken

1 large chicken
4 lemons
fresh rosemary

On the night before serving, cut out backbone by cutting down both sides from neck to tail. It's simple except for the section where the leg is attached to the backbone. Turn chicken over. Snap breastbone/wishbone. Remove breast cartilage. Put chicken skin side up in flat baking dish. Cover with juice of one lemon. Put Saran Wrap over chicken. Weight down with another baking dish weighted with canned goods. Refrigerate overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 deg F.

Remove chicken from refrigerator and uncover. Add the juice of three more lemons and plenty of fresh rosemary or other favorite herb. Bake for 1 hour. Can also barbecue on grill.

To serve, cut into four sections where thigh attaches. White meat and dark meat pieces are separate.

Zoologist1302304395.3836013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

My #1 favorite: Baking (roasting) bags! My neighbor got me hooked on these. They make my Thanksgiving turkey look like the ones in the cookbooks! Same with the chickens!!

Lynneuk1302306626.2738221 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

I butterfly mine too( about a 3 1/2 lber) and rub with olive oil, s&p and sometimes sprinkle on some herbes de provence or thyme.

Here is where I do it differently. I put the chicken in a cold oven and set it to 450 degrees and roast 50 minutes.

It comes out with incredibly crispy golden skin and the juiciest meat ever.

I read this method somewhere, could have been Cooks Illustrated. Anyway, this makes the best roast chicken ever.

If your chicken is bigger you will need to roast 10 minutes or so more.

Let us know which method you use and how it turns out.

Good luck.

Lynne

Mary Bailey1302307335.9637304 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004sw of Chicago

I use a vertical rotisserie. Sometimes I brine it. I season with Penzey's Northwood Fire, seasoned salt, savory and pepper....... but what has been my secret ingredient has been filling the carcass with ice cubes - I'm serious! really really moist birds - turkey or chicken.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Just Remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn't the way they actually are. - John Green

Brabls1302309057.0314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 4/8/2011 caligrl said:

I rinse them under cold water, inside and out. pat dry, rub with butter salt and pepper. Roast in a 375 oven for about an hour, mine turns out good every time, enjoy! ;-)

Same here. Naked chichen is very good without a bunch of stuff. Sometimes I up the heat for crisper skin.

MopsyGirl1302309773.742575 PostsRegistered 2/15/2008
On 4/8/2011 Mary Bailey said:

I use a vertical rotisserie. Sometimes I brine it. I season with Penzey's Northwood Fire, seasoned salt, savory and pepper....... but what has been my secret ingredient has been filling the carcass with ice cubes - I'm serious! really really moist birds - turkey or chicken.

I also use a vertical roaster. I've never tried ice cubes, though - I'll have to try!

ROMARY1302310260.6316472 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Great recipes and ideas...........I normally buy a rotisserie chicken every week at our nearby deli/supermarket! Sometimes they are priced at $5 on Fridays. I will, however, try some of these recipes on a cold day, to warm up the kitchen! I will use the crock-pot!

Yellow Rose

Practical ­Diva1302311149.413175 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007CNY

So many excellent ideas!! Thank you everyone! I always learn something useful here {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Glad I got more than one chicken so I can test a couple recipes right away!

GoodStuff1302312155.2514959 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

All of these ideas sound good. I generally just season and roast mine in the oven as I would a turkey. Simple and delicious. Crockpot simmering is an easy way to cook a very tender, fall-apart chicken -- good to eat as is, but also really easy to take off the bone if you want to use the meat for stews, soup, or a chicken casserole of your choice. And the broth left behind in the crockpot is dynamite! Just be sure to remove most of the fat.

Sabatini21302313053.3032932 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

Last edited on 5/20/2011

Last edited on 5/20/2011

shamalamad­ingdong51302319548.1773313 PostsRegistered 2/12/2008
On 4/8/2011 Lynneuk said:

I butterfly mine too( about a 3 1/2 lber) and rub with olive oil, s&p and sometimes sprinkle on some herbes de provence or thyme.

Here is where I do it differently. I put the chicken in a cold oven and set it to 450 degrees and roast 50 minutes.

It comes out with incredibly crispy golden skin and the juiciest meat ever.

I read this method somewhere, could have been Cooks Illustrated. Anyway, this makes the best roast chicken ever.

If your chicken is bigger you will need to roast 10 minutes or so more.

Let us know which method you use and how it turns out.

Good luck.

Lynne

thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give this a try,

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

Talisin1302409533.093272 PostsRegistered 2/5/2011

I remember when I used to cook chicken and one of the most tried and true ways for me was my grandmothers way:

Wash the bird, put it in a deep pan, place 1/4 stick of butter inside the cavity of the bird, mix up spices/herbs in a small cup use a teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, basil to taste, teaspoon of marjoram, 1/8 tsp. of ground mustard, teaspoon of dill, rub the bird with butter ( you can actually spray it with olive oil) then sprinkle the herbs on the skin the rest of the herbs if any toss inside the bird, add water to halfway up the side of the pan (my pan was about 3 inches deep so that would be 1 1/2 inches deep in water; then take foil and make a tent over the bird with two pieces of foil that meet in the center and pinch it together (it's important to have the pinched part in the middle) place in an oven at 350 cook for 2 - 2 1/2 hours - let it cook for one hour undisturbed, lower the temp to 325 then every 15-20 minutes pull it out, open the foil and using a ladle ladle the juice that is now in the bottom of the pan over the top of the bird, put back in the oven and continue until a fork stuck in the thickest part of the bird shows the juices to run clear. This never failed to produce the best bird ever.

As you notice my grandmother really didn't have measurements so this is assuming the cook has some skill in the kitchen as my grandmother would say to me

jjinnielou1302464162.0271 PostsRegistered 4/10/2011

During the grilling season I like to make Beer Butt Chicken! It is so good and easy to make!

Rinse your chicken inside and out, then pat dry.

I make a "wet rub" for my chicken..I use: granulated garlic, pepper, kosher salt, dried basil, dried oregano. The options are endless for the rub on your chicken. Montreal steak seasoning or lemon pepper works great also. I put the dry seasonings in a bowl then I add vegetable/canola oil to it, the consistancy should be like a thin paste. I then rub the chicken all over with the mixture.

Get a can of beer (your choice) poor just a bit out of the can so it doesn't boil out. Put the can inside the chicken cavity and place on grill. It takes about 1 hour to 1 hr. 15 min.

To stabilize my chicken on the can I use an old pie pan. It works great so my chicken doesn't fall.

Just watch your chicken closely. You may have to turn your bird every once in a while if you see it getting cooked more on one side. It is the best chicken ever. It turns out so moist you won't believe it. If you are wondering....it does not taste like beer whatsoever!

lork1302548317.327403 PostsRegistered 3/20/2009

Last year I discovered Rotisserie Chicken (made in a slow cooker) on this site. I've probably made it once a month since then (including today!). It's soooo easy and wonderfully flavored. The leftovers are almost better than the first meal. If you haven't tried it you should. . .

ROTISSERIE CHICKEN (slow cooker)

1 large whole chicken, skin removed

2 T salt

1 t onion powder

1/4 t garlic powder

1/2 t oregano

1/4 t basil

1 t paprika

1/4 black pepper

1/4 t cayenne pepper

1 onion, peeled and quartered

4 cloves garlic, peeled

In a small bowl, stir salt and spices together. Wash chicken and rub spice mixture over bird, inside and out. Place onions and garlic inside bird and plop bird into dry slow cooker, breast down. Cover crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. The spicy juices make a delicious liquid to cook some rice in for a tasty side dish.
This leftover chicken, taken off the bone, makes a wonderfully flavored cold chicken salad.

Shogirl1302549788.5671910 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010
On 4/10/2011 jjinnielou said:

During the grilling season I like to make Beer Butt Chicken! It is so good and easy to make!

Rinse your chicken inside and out, then pat dry.

I make a "wet rub" for my chicken..I use: granulated garlic, pepper, kosher salt, dried basil, dried oregano. The options are endless for the rub on your chicken. Montreal steak seasoning or lemon pepper works great also. I put the dry seasonings in a bowl then I add vegetable/canola oil to it, the consistancy should be like a thin paste. I then rub the chicken all over with the mixture.

Get a can of beer (your choice) poor just a bit out of the can so it doesn't boil out. Put the can inside the chicken cavity and place on grill. It takes about 1 hour to 1 hr. 15 min.

To stabilize my chicken on the can I use an old pie pan. It works great so my chicken doesn't fall.

Just watch your chicken closely. You may have to turn your bird every once in a while if you see it getting cooked more on one side. It is the best chicken ever. It turns out so moist you won't believe it. If you are wondering....it does not taste like beer whatsoever!

My husband bought a ceramic baking dish from William-Sonoma that's designed to do the same thing, albeit more expensive than a beer can and old pie plate. It looks like a deep dish pie plate with a large cone in the middle of it. My husband likes to make a mixture of butter, rosemary and thyme, and place it between the skin and meat of the bird, and then stick the bird in an upright position on the cone part of the baking dish. Wow, it comes out with the crispiest and most flavorful skin - yum!

springers1303164224.2676767 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

A neighbor who worked at BBQ Galore store told me this and it is ez and tasty.

Turn up all burners on your outside gas grill. Sprinkle paprika inside and outside of bird. Turn the far left burner off (farthest away from heat source). Place chicken on the off grill. The grill should be at 350'. Turn over half way through-when bottom side is looking cooked. Careful there will be juices in the cavity when you turn it. Juices should be clear when done. Cook will skin on and you get a nice crispy skin. I dont add bbq sauce but you could. It is one of our summer favs. Make salad the next day with left over chicken. Or tacos.

I don't have a rotisserie attachment so this works the same way. It is so moist.

eta: You are cooking with indirect heat so there are no flare ups with the skin of the bird, and it is consistent heat in the bbq.

Last edited on 4/18/2011

Last edited on 4/18/2011

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

Page 1 of 1