Shoes & Handbags Offers
163 Members and 14425 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Hot Bacon Dressing

Started 1300083277.8 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1300095662.677 by Islandgirl7032
replies

I am looking for a good hot bacon dressing. My dh loves it and I just can"t find a good recipe. WE were in Amish Country near Lancaster Pa. and he had it and just loved it but can not find a good recipe for it. Would appreciate any recipes

Page 1 of 1
BackktoBru­nette1300088848.772224 PostsRegistered 10/7/2010a Jersey Girl in PA

I simply just Googled 'lancaster county pa amish recipe hot bacon dressing', and a plethora of websites came up. Check them out, in case you don't get what you want here.:)

Desertdi1300092417.8615714 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I just throw hot bacon on "whatever" and sprinkle it with vinegar

mame1011300093983.732 PostsRegistered 1/10/2011Midwest

Look for a recipe for wilted lettuce. Basically it is fry chopped bacon til crisp, remove bacon, saute chopped green onion in bacon drippings, add sugar, salt/pepper stir to dissolve sugar, add vinegar (type depends on flavor you want, I like apple cider but red wine is good too and I'd like to try malt) when hot pour over salad. Works well on spinach as well as lettuce. There is a creamy version called Brittany Dressing using part sour cream but it doesn't work as well for me.

kiddo1300094471.29710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

In the Seventies and Eighties, Marie Callendar's restaurant chain used to have hot bacon dressing on their salad bar. In a tub alongside the tubs that had Thousand Island, and Ranch, and Italian dressings.

I would put Thousand Island down on my plate, first. Then some hot bacon dressing.

Then I'd load up lettuce and salad vegetables. Then some more hot bacon dressing.

Then some more lettuce. Then some more Thousand Island. Then a little bit more hot bacon dressing.

Yum!!

I had to move several years ago to another state altogether. A few years later, Marie Callendar's Restaurant was opened here.

I was really bummed that they didn't have the hot bacon dressing. Had never heard of it!! Or so, the waitress informed me.

So I asked for the manager. Turns out, the manager had just moved to this state from the same state from which I, myself, had moved. So, he knew what I was talking about. He said that Marie's doesn't have hot bacon dressing anymore, but he could try to find out if I could, somehow, get some.

A couple of days later, he phoned me to tell me that yes.. he had been successful in getting a bottle of it mailed to him at the restaurant here. To come in and he'd have it waiting for me with my name on it.

When I arrived, he just gave it to me. For free.

A little, 6-ounce glass bottle. Buit that was all he could do because officially -- Marie Callendar's restaurants don't serve hot bacon dressing any more.

Thanks for the suggestions to Google a recipe for it!

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Last edited on 3/14/2011

Last edited on 3/14/2011

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

Islandgirl­70321300095662.66712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
Hot Bacon Dressing
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
Directions
  1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
  3. In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
Last edited on 3/14/2011

Last edited on 3/14/2011

Page 1 of 1