New Holiday Decor
138 Members and 17915 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

PRESSURE COOKER RECIPES

Started 1296761277.19 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1298770097.56 by alekmt
replies

I finally ordered one of the Cooks Essentials 6 qt pressure cookers and I can't figure out how to run the darn thing. I was so excited about getting one and now I can't use it. Does anyone have a good manual or recipes for this? The manual they sent with it must not go to this cooker. It does not match any buttons on it. Please help if you can. Otherwise I just through away $100. Thanks, Lmeyera

Page 1 of 1
CeCe11296775263.4139 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010

Lmeyera, one of the best books I have found for pressure cooking is by Vickie Smith. The title is "Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes." She also has an excellent website http://missvickie.com. I have been using pressure cookers for about 10 years now and LOVE them, so I already knew a lot of the information, but for anyone who is just starting out, this is an excellent resource. I don't know about Bob Warden's cookbook (Cooking Slow Foods Fast - I believe that is the title), but this book is 470 pages and contains a lot of basic information on cooking times and how-to's. While a lot of this information may be geared towards stove-top pressure cookers which are generally faster and more powerful than electric units, if your unit does not get up to 15 psi, just adjust the time slightly. If you are like a lot of us who love using pressure cookers, you will probably end up with both types (digital and stove top). Unfortunately, electric units get a bad rap from a lot of long-time users, but I thoroughly enjoy mine. Good luck with your new cooker and hope this information will be useful.

Peepsie1296909138.4372 PostsRegistered 2/5/2011

Lmeyera--Can't you call QVC and ask them to send you the instruction manual/recipe book for the cooker you ordered? I would certainly think they should be able to assist with that. Good luck!

Daberi1296962136.557259 PostsRegistered 11/14/2008

I got one of the cook's essential pressure cookers a couple years ago from the q. I have just recently started using it, as we just moved into a new house & have ample storage space in my kitchen now & it is not a chore to get it out..lol! Anyway, I have just been googling for my recipes. I made a pot roast & boneless pork chops within the last couple weeks. I just will google something like "pot roast recipe for electric pressure cooker". I usually look at several for the ingredients I have at hand. I then choose whatever sounds good to me. hth {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Lfine1297123113.67334 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010

Imeyera if I were you I'd see if I could send it back to them, you can look up your account and print off the invoice where you bought it and just send it back to them. I bought one from them that was digital and I never liked it, I keep it too long to send back so I finally sold it on Ebay for about half of what I paid for it. I bought one in a dept store that is not fancy but works great and I use it all the time. I recently bought some short ribs and pressured them for beef stew and the stew was wonderful so if you need a good one dish meal the stew is great for the pressure cooker. I use mine mostly for tenderizing meats or cooking pinto of mixed beans, a pot of beans will cook in about an hour and the pressure cooker makes them really good.

Good Luck!

Nightowlz1297125334.7239685 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I would call Q & tell them you need the owners manual. If they can't get you one I would send it back & let them pay return shipping & have them send out another one. Sometimes you can download the owners manual on the product page so you might check & see if it's there.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

alekmt1298770097.5431 PostsRegistered 2/26/2011

Don't give up. Like all new items, it takes a little while to figure it out, but it is not hard, and will be well worth the effort. The essential information is in the little booklet; the major drawback is that it doesn't show a picture and give very many instructions on how to use the settings in the window. I bought mine and am using it for the first time tonight. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to brown the meatand how to set it for a pork roast. It is cooking now.

I had some problems because I didn't think that it should be letting off so much steam out of the middle part; it is very loose. I now think this is fine, as it did finally come up to pressure. The little book says it will take some time to come up and start the count down if there is a lot of liquid in the cooker. I think I may have added more wine than I should have, but it is now counting down.

I bought the Bob Warden cookbook and there are some great recipes in it. He doesn't go into the specifics of the electric cooker like I wanted but he does cover the basics. I think I will look for other cooksbooks, not sure there are a lot out there.

I am excited to try the pork roast.

If you want specific help, I would be happy to do that for you. , just let me know.

Page 1 of 1