Here are three that I had on file. I've never tried the first two, but they do use sour cream. One uses the condensed soup and the other does not. (My family loves the traditional one.) I've included a favorite from Tyler Florence for something different and good.
Classy Green Bean Casserole – allrecipes
Prep Time: 15 Min Cook Time: 30 Min Ready In: 45 Min Yield 6 servings
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French cut green beans, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed buttery round crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the green beans, sour cream, condensed soup, salt and pepper. Spoon into a 2 quart casserole dish. Stir melted butter into the crushed crackers, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned and bubbly.
Green Beans Supreme – about.com (Southern Food)
Ingredients:Serves 8 as a side dish.
· 1 pound fresh green beans, cut French-style or 1 pound French-style frozen green beans
· 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or use 1 teaspoon dried)
· 3 tablespoons butter, divided
· 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· dash of pepper
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
· 1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar or American cheese
· 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Cook fresh cut beans until just crisp-tender, or cook frozen beans according to package directions; drain. Cook onion and parsley in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender. Blend in flour, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir hot mixture into sour cream and cooked beans; heat until sauce begins to bubble. Spoon into a 1- to 1 1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle cheese over the top. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with bread crumbs and sprinkle over cheese. Broil about five inches from broiler until cheese melts and crumbs brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Green Bean Casserole – Food Network Tyler Florence
Prep Time: 30 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 55 min
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- 3 pounds green beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as button, cremini, shiitake), sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp, they will be cooked more in the oven. Drain them and set aside. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the green beans with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Tear the bread into 2-inch pieces, put them into a bowl, and add 1 tablespoon chives, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Stir well to coat and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake just until the bread just starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 10 minutes. Pour in the heavy cream, add the remaining thyme and chives, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green beans and stir well. Put the green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with the croutons, and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan. Bake until everything is hot and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Last edited on 11/9/2010
Last edited on 11/9/2010