Fashion Special Offers
117 Members and 12877 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Does Anyone Have A Killer Green Bean Casserole Recipe?

Started 1289315335.48 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1289527947.99 by chatmouse

I usually make the one using the Cream of Mushroom Campbells Soup and onions. However, they make a much better one at the deli in my local market. They put something in the soup mixture that makes it outstanding. Sour cream maybe? Anyways, if anyone would like to share their recipe, I would love to try it. Thanks.

BlueSkies25

Page 1 of 1
Talidog1289316141.313763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie

I'm trying to remember where I saw this green bean casserole recipe...I believe it was on thepioneerwoman.com. Check it out. Good luck! K

War Eagle!

shoptilyad­rop11289316413.263389 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007

I hate mushrooms and the thought of Cream of Mushroom soup makes me gag so I use Cream of Celery and have even used Cream of Chicken. However, the latter makes it a little too rich. My good friend also uses canned green beans from their garden.

- Kim

A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot
~Author Unknown

ArmyWife1011289316532.813527 PostsRegistered 8/1/2010

I do not follow that recipe you are talking about to a "T" I do not like mushrooms either...I do not add the milk...probably could add sour cream...I do add velveeta...and I use the cheddar french fried onions...adding some inside and on top.

Oh and I also love using the french style green beans.

Last edited on 11/9/2010

Last edited on 11/9/2010

woodstocki­llinois1289316667.64196 PostsRegistered 6/3/2010

I think that any receipe is great, but I use cream of celery soup , not mushroom. It is much better.

minky41289317024.123171 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Pac Northwest

This one looks delish (and I think the one Kacky is talking about). It can be found at www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds Fresh Green Beans, Ends Cut Off
  • 4 slices Bacon, Cut Into 1/4 Inch Pieces
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • ½ whole Large Onion, Chopped
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 4 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
  • 2-½ cups Whole Milk
  • ½ cups Half-and-half
  • 1-½ teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • ? teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 jar (4 Ounce) Sliced Pimentoes, Drained
  • Extra Milk For Thinning If Necessary
  • 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs

Preparation Instructions

Cut green beans in half if you like pieces to be a little smaller.

Blanch the green beans: drop them into lightly salted boiling water and allow green beans to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove them from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain beans once they’re cool and set aside.

Add bacon pieces to a skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon for two minutes, then add diced onion and garlic and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bacon is done (but not crisp) and onions are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a separate skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour into the pan and whisk immediately to evenly mix it into the butter. Cook for a minute or two, then pour in milk and half and half. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, while sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne then add the grated cheddar. Stir while cheese melts. Turn off heat.

Add pimentos to pan, then add bacon/onion mixture. Stir to combine. Pour over green beans and stir gently to combine. Pour into a baking dish and top with panko crumbs.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and panko crumbs are golden.

whispy1289318024.651531 PostsRegistered 8/2/2009

Here are three that I had on file. I've never tried the first two, but they do use sour cream. One uses the condensed soup and the other does not. (My family loves the traditional one.) I've included a favorite from Tyler Florence for something different and good.

Classy Green Bean Casserole – allrecipes

Prep Time: 15 Min Cook Time: 30 Min Ready In: 45 Min Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

• 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French cut green beans, drained
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup coarsely crushed buttery round crackers
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a medium bowl, mix together the green beans, sour cream, condensed soup, salt and pepper. Spoon into a 2 quart casserole dish. Stir melted butter into the crushed crackers, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.

3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned and bubbly.

Green Beans Supreme – about.com (Southern Food)

Ingredients:Serves 8 as a side dish.

· 1 pound fresh green beans, cut French-style or 1 pound French-style frozen green beans

· 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced

· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or use 1 teaspoon dried)

· 3 tablespoons butter, divided

· 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

· 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· dash of pepper

· 1/2 cup milk

· 1 cup reduced fat sour cream

· 1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar or American cheese

· 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs

Preparation:

Cook fresh cut beans until just crisp-tender, or cook frozen beans according to package directions; drain. Cook onion and parsley in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender. Blend in flour, lemon peel, salt, and pepper. Add milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir hot mixture into sour cream and cooked beans; heat until sauce begins to bubble. Spoon into a 1- to 1 1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle cheese over the top. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with bread crumbs and sprinkle over cheese. Broil about five inches from broiler until cheese melts and crumbs brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Green Bean Casserole – Food Network Tyler Florence

Prep Time: 30 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 55 min

Level: Easy

Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

• 3 pounds green beans
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as button, cremini, shiitake), sliced
  • 2 shallots, sliced
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp, they will be cooked more in the oven. Drain them and set aside. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the green beans with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Tear the bread into 2-inch pieces, put them into a bowl, and add 1 tablespoon chives, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Stir well to coat and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake just until the bread just starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 10 minutes. Pour in the heavy cream, add the remaining thyme and chives, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green beans and stir well. Put the green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with the croutons, and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan. Bake until everything is hot and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.

whispy

Last edited on 11/9/2010

Last edited on 11/9/2010

bkgirl1289332356.31593 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

This probably isn't a "killer", but I like a little "crunch" to mine, so add slivered almonds and water chestnuts........

candy kiss­es1289332422.057127 PostsRegistered 5/5/2008Missouri

I like the Spanish Green Beans on thepioneerwoman.com. Very easy to make and very tastey. Her new green bean casserole sounds great too.

sunshine451289332838.5540164 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

we use this green bean recipe and it is so flavorful and filling! perfect to go with turkey.... the only difference is i prefer to use whole petite green beans AND i prefer to mix the swiss cheese into the casserole rather than having the cheese on top. it is also great because you can put it together the day ahead and then bake it right before serving. i also sprinkle it with a bit of paprika on the top for color.

swiss green beans

Ingredients:

Directions:

Prep Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 50 mins

1. 1 Melt 2 tbsp butter, stir in flour, salt, pepper, sugar, onion. remove from heat.
  2. 2 Add sour cream gradually until smooth.
  3. 3 Add beans (i like to use frozen whole petite green beans).
  4. 4 Mix together.
  5. 5 Pour into buttered casserole dish.
  6. 6 Grate cheese over top. (i prefer to mix the swiss cheese into the mixture instead of having it on top)
  7. 7 Crush cornflakes and mix with melted butter (you can leave out the cornflakes if you prefer OR use crushed ritz crackers).
  8. 8 Put on top of beans and sprinkle with paprika.
  9. 9 Cover and bake 20 minutes at 400.
Last edited on 11/9/2010

Last edited on 11/9/2010

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

Joanne701289333037.147491 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I prefer Paula Deans recipe on food network...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/green-bean-casserole-recipe/index.html

poshparis1289445163.71706 PostsRegistered 10/8/2006North Carolina

This one is very easy and tasty.

KILLER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

I can french green beans (drained)

1 can white shoe peg corn (drained)

1 can cream of celery soup

1 8 oz. container of sour cream

1/2 cup diced green pepper

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced celery

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix all together and put in casserole dish.

Topping:

1 sleeve Ritz crackers finely crumbled (I use rolling pin to crush)

1/4 cup melted butter

1 small package slivered almonds

Mix together and put on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for approx. 30 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbling.

Last edited on 11/10/2010

Last edited on 11/10/2010

~~~Paris~~~

makingmemo­ries1289447634.733607 PostsRegistered 8/12/2008Hou., Tx

Grandma's Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

I add water chestnuts and bacon to this recipe.

chatmouse1289527947.9831 PostsRegistered 11/11/2010

I got tired of the same runny cambell soup one. I had 10 requests after Christmas dinner for this one.

2 small bags of baby green beans (costco) cut tips and 1/2 or leave whole

1 jar (6 oz) roasted red peppers in oil

2 cans of Progresso mushroom soup (has lg mushrooms and dont have to dilute soup)

4 to 6 shallots

prepare green beans and boil for 5-7 min longer if you like less crispy beans

drop beans in ice water to stop cooking and keep them bright green.

Put in casserole dish (deep) then chop or slice 1/2 cup of red peppers (more if you like)

mix in green beans. Then slice thin shallots and dust in bowl with flour and drop into fry pan with 4 tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil. Dont leave because they cook quickly. When dark golden brown drain on paper towel. If you snack on one bite you will have to make more before you put them on your green beans.

salt and pepper, and pour soup over beans and peppers. sprinkle shallots over top of mix and bake for 30 mins. 350o . Not a hard dish at all. And one people will love.

Page 1 of 1