TSV(R) Preview
63 Members and 12904 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Soggy rice!

Started 1287831877.133 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1288058065.913 by CAshopper2011
replies

The following recipe is from Allrecipes.com. It gets rave reviews. I have made it 3 times. Each time I follow the directions exactly and it ends up a soggy gummy mess. How can I get fluffy rice using this recipe? This recipe will not adapt to a rice cooker. Any rice tips for me? HELP!

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
Mexican Rice II
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
recipe image
<table style="margin-bottom: 6px;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #fb6400; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold;"> Rated:
rating
Submitted By: Mommyto2
Photo By: mis7up
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Servings: 4
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
"Rice is sauteed with salt, cumin and onion, then simmered with tomato sauce and chicken broth."
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
2. Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/23/2010

Page 1 of 1
LilBitMiss­ty1287844134.6536081 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

gubby1..hi..... I have made the mistake of using the regular rice . BIG mistake! Make sure it is LONG GRAIN RICE as it will absorb more liquid. I will post the recipe I use. Notice it says "about a cup" of water. There is a reason for that. I put in the 1 cup of chicken broth first, then JUST ENOUGH water to cover rice. If too much liquid is used, the rice will be soggy. Hope this helps..Here is what I make (I use half of a tomato and TOMATO PASTE not tomato sauce).....

Mexican Rice

3 to 4 tablespoons of oil
1 Cup of LONG GRAIN RICE
pinch of cumin
pinch of salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic ...minced
1 cube of chicken bouillon
about 1 cup of water
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup onion...minced half of tomato chopped in small pieces
2 tablespoons of tomato paste

First, heat skillet to medium: add oil, onions & rice turning until brown (not burned)
Then, add water & other ingredients. Bring to boil until water absorbs a little.
Next, add lid & simmer (turn heat to low)
Finally, cook between 20-25 minutes. Do not remove lid once time is up. Turn heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes before eating.

Last edited on 10/23/2010

Last edited on 10/23/2010

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

LilBitMiss­ty1287844511.9376081 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

gubby1..hi..... WOW...that was weird. My post went into your post! How strange! Anyway..I will try again. This is what I said.....

I have made the mistake of using the regular rice . BIG mistake! Make sure it is LONG GRAIN RICE as it will absorb more liquid. I will post the recipe I use. Notice it says "about a cup" of water. There is a reason for that. I put in the 1 cup of chicken broth first, then JUST ENOUGH water to cover rice. If too much liquid is used, the rice will be soggy. Hope this helps..Here is what I make (I use half of a tomato and TOMATO PASTE not tomato sauce).....

Mexican Rice

3 to 4 tablespoons of oil
1 Cup of LONG GRAIN RICE
pinch of cumin
pinch of salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic ...minced
1 cube of chicken bouillon
about 1 cup of water
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup onion...minced half of tomato chopped in small pieces
2 tablespoons of tomato paste

First, heat skillet to medium: add oil, onions & rice turning until brown (not burned)
Then, add water & other ingredients. Bring to boil until water absorbs a little.
Next, add lid & simmer (turn heat to low)
Finally, cook between 20-25 minutes. Do not remove lid once time is up. Turn heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes before eating.

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

gubby11287927979.6371555 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010puget sound

Thank you LilBit...

I did use long grain rice. I just checked. It looks like your recipe has a little bit less liquid in it than the one I used. I will try yours. Thank you for helping me!

Dachsie1287928174.682607 PostsRegistered 6/4/2006

I think the best way to get rice that is never mushy or soggy is to buy parboiled rice, like Uncle Ben's or other brands. In the store, in clear plastic bag, you will see it has a yellow look to it.

I have not in a long time cooked a recipe like this where you put uncooked rice in with the wet ingredients, but this one sure sounds good.

friday1287938653.9776 PostsRegistered 11/7/2006

1 cup rice

add little oil (if doing chinese add sesame oil, italian? use olive oil, plain rice add veg oil)

brown the rice on med/high heat, add sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper, ginger, or just spice rice to compliment main course.

2 cups of water

bring to boil, cover, lower heat to med/low, simmer 10 minutes

shut off heat, leave covered and let sit another 10 min or more..

Rice done this way can be jazzed up to taste.

CAshopper2­0111288058065.9133499 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
I make a similar recipe in my enamel cast iron pot. While I am cooking the rice in the oil, I prehea the oven to 350. Once I add the water/ tomato I bring everything back to a boil. Then I put he lid in, and put the whole pot into the oven for 20. It comes out fluffy and delicious! I actually think that you might want the reduce the chicken stock a tiny bit so that the recipe has closerto the 2:1 liquid to rice ratio. The nice think about the "baked" version is that if it seems you've added too much water, you can take the lid off for the last 5 minutes to dry it out a little. Since the heat isn't directly on the bottom of the pot it won't stick or burn.

Page 1 of 1