Early Access
156 Members and 12151 Guests Online

Q News

warning letter about returning too much

Started 1314209676.553 in Q News | Last reply 1351824198.643 by bookwriter

Has anyone else gotten a letter from Q saying you were returning too much and they may close your membership? I heard that happening to others but now it's happened to me, also! What happened to "30 day money back gaurantee" and no questions asked? They should say right up front "but you only have so many returns you can make before we threaten you"! Give me a break! I have spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS with QVC. Don't threaten me!

Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 ...10Next
ok4ablonde21314210039.028837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Yep.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

Jen S1314210309.972091 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010WI

A relative of mine buys something every week from Q. She returns stuff that didn't work for her and she got the "letter" six months ago. Since they she has gone to HSN. Hasn't looked at Q or went online with it. It's funny, going to her house - she always had Q on. Now it's the news or HSN. She was so put out by the letter, she called and gave them her opinion on their 30-day satisfaction guarantee. She said she would "guarantee they would never hear from her again." But, as long as it works for them I guess.

In her case, she suffers from anxiety and will not go anywhere that there may be a lot of people to worry about. She orders clothes off the tv and when she gets them, she tries them on, if they don't fit - they go back the same afternoon (yes, she has someone who runs things to the post office for her - furthering the issue). Anyway, she said she felt like someone was telling her she has no right to try out anything since people can try on in the store, and they still sell the item. After all, she paid shipping both ways and to her, it's "no skin off their teeth".

Last edited on 8/24/2011

Last edited on 8/24/2011

ibb381314210330.77712246 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Yep, the 30 day refund policy does have 'fine print' unfortunately, when I got 'the letter' it was my cue to shop less. I'm very selective now and buy very little. That way I don't have to be concerned about too many returns! Ironically, most of the returns were due to sizing issues with their clothes- I certainly wasn't buying impulsively.

summersage1314210678.4232324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010
On 8/24/2011 Shopalot! said:

Has anyone else gotten a letter from Q saying you were returning too much and they may close your membership? I heard that happening to others but now it's happened to me, also! What happened to "30 day money back gaurantee" and no questions asked? They should say right up front "but you only have so many returns you can make before we threaten you"! Give me a break! I have spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS with QVC. Don't threaten me!

Wow, I would be totally ticked off!!! I haven't gotten a letter like that (yet) but I can honestly say that, like you, I have ordered tons over the years and I have returned, especially recently, a lot. I truthfully don't know what I would do if I ever received that letter. I honestly think that I would stop shopping the Q. That's how mad I would be! Also, you're so right about the sweet "you have a 30 day return it if it's not for you" and YES, they should then add, "however, if you return too much you'll get a nasty letter from us threatening to revoke your QVC membership." UGGHHHH!!

Summer

"most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine" Ralph Walso Emerson

iPod1314210858.223755 PostsRegistered 5/23/2005

Some say if you cancel alot,you will also get the letter.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

happy hous­ewife1314211386.47331236 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

You all come on this BB and freely admitt to returning clothing and other items that have been used and getting the full price back then you get po'ed when they crack down on you. Good grief.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

summersage1314212334.292324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010
On 8/24/2011 morning lover said:

You all come on this BB and freely admitt to returning clothing and other items that have been used and getting the full price back then you get po'ed when they crack down on you. Good grief.

No!! Who ever said items were USED!! I returned things, just like many other women here, when I recieve an item, I try it on (just like in a store) and if it doesn't fit, the color is not what they said, it's not what I thought it would be, handbag looked better on TV....the list goes on and on...it goes back!!! How dare you make a blanket statement like that accusing loyal QVC customers of deciet!!!

Summer

"most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine" Ralph Walso Emerson

sparkygirl1314212725.8374626 PostsRegistered 10/2/2006

It has to be about whether they find you profitable or not. I think there must be some sort of mathematical calculation they do. Has anyone ever figured that out? For example, if they are finding that the amount they pay in shipping, and/or repacking the stuff you send back costs more than they are making from you...It has to be a formula.

candy1314213587.423497 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northeast

"The customer is always right." -- Frank W. Woolworth

I received that letter a few years ago because I cancelled a lot. I also buy a lot. I eased up on my enthusiasm and haven't had the letter again. It did make me buy a lot less for awhile though.

I don't return a lot and have only returned a few "used" items because they were defective. I would bring defective goods back to a store and expect a refund. I have always been satisfied with QVC's customer service. Only on rare occasion have I dealt with someone who was rude or wouldn't solve my problem. When that happens I hang up and call later. Usually I get a better service rep and a solution.

I worked customer service for years and know that you can and should ask to be reimbursed for a shoddy purchase, used or new. That's the cost of doing business. If your customers aren't happy -- they are no longer customers.

Candy

kivah1314213939.0873523 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

I totally agree that people who return too many items should receive the warning letter. I've been shopping for 16 yrs and have not returned many items. I'm careful what I order and stay with the same brands for clothes & shoes - so most of the time, they fit. The items I returned weren't properly sewn or the fit of the shoes was off. There are people that order endlessly, knowing they'll be returning many of the items - sometimes wearing the items & returning them. Not only is it a hassle for QVC - but I wouldn't want to receive an item someone else tried on or used. Just be careful what you order. I've never recd that letter.

debc1314214309.7872574 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 8/24/2011 kivah said:

I totally agree that people who return too many items should receive the warning letter. I've been shopping for 16 yrs and have not returned many items. I'm careful what I order and stay with the same brands for clothes & shoes - so most of the time, they fit. The items I returned weren't properly sewn or the fit of the shoes was off. There are people that order endlessly, knowing they'll be returning many of the items - sometimes wearing the items & returning them. Not only is it a hassle for QVC - but I wouldn't want to receive an item someone else tried on or used. Just be careful what you order. I've never recd that letter.

Same here. I think when you start costing them money they don't care if you go someplace else.

Cheese with that whine?

Krimpette1314214745.1239948 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

Wasn't there a post just the other day about HSN sending the same type of letter?

happy hous­ewife1314214799.9531236 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 8/24/2011 summersage said:

No!! Who ever said items were USED!! I returned things, just like many other women here, when I recieve an item, I try it on (just like in a store) and if it doesn't fit, the color is not what they said, it's not what I thought it would be, handbag looked better on TV....the list goes on and on...it goes back!!! How dare you make a blanket statement like that accusing loyal QVC customers of deciet!!!

I did not mean you specifically, but there have been numerous threads on this BB about wearing clothes or using handbags etc and then returning them for the full price. That is paramount to stealing but those doing it don't even have a thread of guilt about it. When people are doing this alot then any retailer has no choice but to crack down. They can'treturn a used item to the manufactorer and they can't resell it as new so it is a loss to them.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

summersage1314214828.2632324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010

You're shopping over the television!! You never know what you're going to get and you are taking a chance, even on a clothing line that you know very well, like D&C. They're sizing is off quite a bit, or the color has been wrongly described (like SG polka dot camp shirt--I was so mad at that) also, I love VPH decorations, but lately (last year) I was quite disappointed in the quality of some of her items. QVC needs to cut the consumer a bit of slack, due to the fact that we can't touch it, smell it or examine it with our own eyes. And truthfully, with the revenue that the Q makes, I really don't believe it's going to hurt them to keep their customers happy. Also, I agree with Sparkygirl, that there has to be some sort of calculation that they do which makes some people get the letter and others not (yet). Again, nothing is said on TV about how many returns are allowed or that their is even a penalty for too many, but it's ALL IN THE FINE PRINT!!

Summer

nancypoo1314217010.731413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

Ms. morning lover has a valid point---several posts have been written about RECEIVING used items as new----SO someone is returning slightly used merchandise. This just costs everyone more money!!!

brewhaha1314217140.98343447 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

If you've returned that many items, for any reason, why don't you try shopping elsewhere?

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

ibb381314217632.40712246 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/24/2011 sparkygirl said:

It has to be about whether they find you profitable or not. I think there must be some sort of mathematical calculation they do. Has anyone ever figured that out? For example, if they are finding that the amount they pay in shipping, and/or repacking the stuff you send back costs more than they are making from you...It has to be a formula.

I think it's if you return more than 50% of your purchases-

chi59251314217724.6071920 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006
On 8/24/2011 brewhaha said:

If you've returned that many items, for any reason, why don't you try shopping elsewhere?

ITA

something is not right if one keeps shopping at a place where you are returning so much stuff.

It's like if you slam the door on your finger - next time, you will not slam the door.

Same with shopping: you get bad products at a store, you stop shopping there and go somewhere else.

I just don't get some people......

GoodStuff1314218789.03714829 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Of course QVC and other online retailers want to minimize returns! Processing and restocking those returns costs them staff time and money, and many items can't be resold. Some QVC customers are compulsive impulse shoppers who buy trainloads of stuff they don't really need or want and then return the same trainloads (used or unused) for trivial reasons. Yes, QVC offers a return guarantee -- but if you're abusing it by irresponsibly ordering and returning excessive quantities of merchandise, you're costing them more than you're spending, and they don't want you to continue! Does this really surprise you?

I'd suggest you consider being more thoughtful and intentional in your shopping, and cutting down on the number of returns. There! Problem solved.

Last edited on 8/24/2011

Last edited on 8/24/2011

summersage1314218930.2432324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010
On 8/24/2011 nancypoo said:

Ms. morning lover has a valid point---several posts have been written about RECEIVING used items as new----SO someone is returning slightly used merchandise. This just costs everyone more money!!!

Then I firmly place that deception on QVC!! not the consumer. If the Q is sending out used merchandise and "new" then who's in the wrong??!! As far as slightly used merchandise.....the Q states over and over...."you have 30 days to try it out, and if it's not for you just return it...no questions asked." Perhaps someone might want to try out a handbag for example a few times to see if it's a good "fit" for them, but then decides "no, this just doesn't feel right." They are well within their rights Per QVC's own proclamation, to return it. What QVC does with it after that, well, that's all on them!! Not the customer!!

Summer

A Walker1314219122.781228 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011
We've discussed the fact QVC is a business out to stay in business. It's yet another sign of the times. Everyone and every business eventually figures out where to trim costs and this is one place. They can't resell a used item because if the customer feels it has been used, it's returned and CS hears about it and then usually reimburses s & h. So they lose twice. Their computer programs flag unprofitable accounts the same way they generate birthday cards and easy pay. It's a whole new world out there. I never got "the letter" but I don't return enough to expect one. I still think there should be a notice of some sort as they brag about their easy, no hassle return policy! Last edited on 8/24/2011

Last edited on 8/24/2011

winamac11314219200.64330484 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

They do close accounts. My neighbor 2 doors down had her account closed. She had one "warning" letter, but they did not tell her that if she didn't stop returning they would close her account. She was very upset as she bought that Polish Stoneware a lot.

I did get a check status letter and a cancellation letter. I have cut back on my buying anyway due to their exhorbitant shipping costs.

I think it totally s##cks that they keep saying "send it back" "unconditional guarantee" "you can always try it and if you don't like it you can mail it back", etc. when they cut people off due to returns.

HSN has never sent me any letter neither has any other retailer. I think many have cut back due to the Q's as of late--not as high quality c.s. and their high shipping costs.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

CalicoGirl1314219244.833698 PostsRegistered 8/24/2011
On 8/24/2011 summersage said:

I did not mean you specifically, but there have been numerous threads on this BB about wearing clothes or using handbags etc and then returning them for the full price. That is paramount to stealing but those doing it don't even have a thread of guilt about it. When people are doing this alot then any retailer has no choice but to crack down. They can'treturn a used item to the manufactorer and they can't resell it as new so it is a loss to them.

I haven't worn something, then returned it (and I wouldn't), but I'm sure I've heard different hosts say on many occasions to, "...get it home, try it out, use it, wear it for the month, and if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, you can return it." Did I hear incorrectly or interpret incorrectly?? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Jen S1314219249.1872091 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010WI

For me, personally, I very much enjoy getting Q stuff on ebay - if it's a return, it is no different than buying at a garage sale. I wash it, I wear it - or I throw it on my shoulder. Exception - no undies of course (although I know people who Sell them at sales).{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

winamac11314219279.68330484 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 8/24/2011 A Walker said: We've discussed the fact QVC is a business out to stay in business. It's yet another sign if the times. Everyone and every business eventually figures out where to trim costs and this is one place. They can't resell a used item because if the customer feels it has been worn, it's returned and CS hears about it and then usually reimburses s & h. So they lose twice. Their computer programs flag unprofitable accounts the same way they generate birthday cards and easy pay. It's a whole new world out there. I never got "the letter" but I don't return enough to expect one. I still think there should be a notice of some sort as they brag about their easy, no hassle return policy!

No other retailer that I know of closes peoples accounts. They may only get a store credit for returns, but they can still shop at stores. I think the Q's C.S. has gone way downhill in the past 3 years. I buy less and less from the Q. I used to buy twice or three times as much as I do now due to many factors--especially absurdly high shipping.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 ...10Next