Shoes & Handbags Offers
152 Members and 10945 Guests Online

Q Did What?

Host Presentation and Salary

Started 1278425364.69 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1280323373.107 by rietzel

Recently a post came up regarding a host that seemed to have trouble with using fillers when she was hosting. A lot of "ummms.." and "as well". I like this host and defended her but I do agree on one point several people made.

If you are hired as a host on a national television program with millions of viewers I think part of your skill level would be not to use all the word fillers we use in ordinary conversation. And some of the hosts have been on the air for twenty years so they would have had time to hone their skills. So, although I really like this host as a person I do think it would serve her well to be a little stronger in her presentations. What we do have to remember is some of the veteran hosts came out of beauty pageanats or were models and were hired for looks and personality. Some of the later hosts Like Lisa Mason (who was in TV News) and Susan Bennet (book writer)came out of professional backgrounds where their ability to think on their feet and education came into play

I agree they make very good salaries for 6-12 hours of work a week. Some only do a Two hour presentation and 1 hour before to get ready for show. On a website dedicated to hosts of different shows (game shows, reality and shopping channels) it said a good host doing a prime time presentation on QVC can earn $500,000 a year...regardless of how many shows you do. I'm sure Lisa Robertson is in this category. You have to admit though she is always well prepared and intelligent in her presentations, and on her jewelry shows she even gives historic background information. I know they all use information cards, but most is unscripted and Lisa seldom fumbles. Even though she started in pageants she also travelled being a representative for the pearl jewelry industry and had to learn to think on her feet and give a compelling presentation. It doesnt hurt that she has smarts and is attractive too. And that's why she is the most successful host on the Q and can pretty much choose the shows she does and how often.

I still enjoy the Q...and wish the hosts the best

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next
tdog1278434565.4232241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

I find it very hard to believe that anyone at QVC makes a half million dollars a year, except maybe the CEO. I have no clue what the hosts make, but 500,000 seems way off to me.

Sooner1278434785.94714665 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

None of us have enough information on any of this to make a discussion anything more than wild speculation. We have no numbers that show sales per host, we have no stats to show what times of the day certain hosts are more popular, etc. We also have no idea what they make, and I don't know why anyone would care either. I doubt that $500,000 is way off the mark maybe for some. Plus, I'm sure they work a lot of hard hours to get ready to go on air. More then they are on the air, I'd bet. It would be a hard job.

stilltamn8r1278434929.62313953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

Sometimes in sales, a more down to earth speaking style is preferable- No one wants their sales person to be Walter Cronkite..

Using common vernacular and yes, fillers, makes the hosts seem more human to many viewers-

And yes, I agree that Lisa is always prepared and very knowledgeable in her presentations-

bobhurley1278435263.58784 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005

Tdog and Sooner: Several years ago an article in a Philadelphia newspaper profiled QVC and the on-air personalities. It stated that, at that time, senior hosts like Bob B. and Mary Beth were making about $300,000 or more annually, so given inflation $500,000 is probably not that far off, if its off at all. Given the sales they generate for QVC, they earn their money.

suzyQ31278435617.424519 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 7/6/2010 tdog said:

I find it very hard to believe that anyone at QVC makes a half million dollars a year, except maybe the CEO. I have no clue what the hosts make, but 500,000 seems way off to me.

If you seriously think that the QVC's CEO brings in only a half-million dollars a year, you need a reality check ASAP. Wink

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

tdog1278435662.1032241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

Well, bob, that is a lot of money! You can knock me over with a feather. I would have thought maybe 250,000-300,000 tops! I wish they would have a special featuring the QVC hosts homes and gardens!

bebeuser1278437680.7972484 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

QVC hosts have been making $300K to $600K since at least 5 years ago. Lots of articles online support that amount.

This article is old but explains a lot about hosts...particulary how: "At QVC, the average per capita sales productivity of any one host is $200 million a year, given QVC's nearly $4 billion in U.S. revenues and approximately twenty sales hosts on staff at any given time. The top hosts produce far more." And that was over five years ago.

A more recent article of interest: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/06/the-genius-of-qvc/8091/2/

The regular morning host works 3 hours but she arrives 2 hours before show time and leaves long after she is off air. They all do meetings and work sessions off camera. This has been written about and even shown on TV.

Both those articles explain why taking calls from viewers is highly productive for sales. And both articles explain why hosts share so much personal information about their family lives on air...it proves to be productive for sales. I especially like the article that explains deatils of how QVC sells feelings and emotions rather than objects. That explains why it isn't as important for QVC to tell you all the details about an item. It is more important to sell you a feeling. QVC is the leader of the pack and their way of doing business is fascinating to study.

HelloYello1278437976.183474 PostsRegistered 11/2/2009

That is why I think a lot of the newer ones who have not improved over the past year need to go. It is not a welfare program - it is home shopping. When I watch I want to see a host that can adequately describe the item and ask good questions of the vendor (and allow them to talk). Sorry but some of these newer girls are just so cutesy and giggle a lot and seem to think they are playing Q host at home in front of their mirror.

I have seen some hosts start out bad and improve and become great hosts. Some of these girls have had long enough to improve and some are even getting worse!

tdog1278438106.6272241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

All I can say is WOW. No wonder they work so hard at love love loving every product on air. I guess I could fake it for that kind of money, too! I am amazed at how much money some people make, I guess. My husband is a general contractor, and I worked for years in restaurants and hotel catering, so my knowledge of really big bucks is rather provincial, I guess, even though I live in a very affluent area here in California. I just never thought a host on home shopping channels could make that kind of money!

bebeuser1278438190.012484 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

Here's the other article http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/4586.html

Skylands1278438662.246088 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

These QVC hosts aren't working only 6-12 hours a week!!! Just because you only see them on air 6-12 hours. They spend a lot of time off camera working.

When they travel, it's no picnic. I know because when I travel for business it's long hours, jet lag, little sleep, all work, no play. Better to not have to travel for work.

QVC is a big corporation, and like all business today, they work you to death. Very little free time. There is no easy money to be made today. It's all long, hard work days.

You've heard Lisa R. say, her hobby & free time is napping!

Woodsy Wom­an1278438877.0334227 PostsRegistered 8/27/2007

Holy cow.

~~ The world is a wonderful place and everyone should shut up and enjoy it every once in a while. ~~

Woodsy Wom­an1278438877.7974227 PostsRegistered 8/27/2007

Holy cow.

~~ The world is a wonderful place and everyone should shut up and enjoy it every once in a while. ~~

BradyW1278439366.49394 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010Pittsburgh, PA

I'm always absolutely astounded when I read so many of these that praise Lisa R. to the hilt. Have you never noticed how many times she says "Um", "amazing amazing", "beautiful beautiful", "I highly recommend", "love", among others?? I don't hear any other host whose vocabulary needs an overhaul as hers does.

She also has to always have her hands in the shot, whether it's make-up (she actually has to hold Leslie's hand when she's demonstrating shades on the back of it), clothing or handbags. She is just absolutely annoying.

Plus, how professional is it to wear those same old out of style tired jeans every time she is on? Most of the other female hosts dress quite nicely; Lisa looks like she has no clothes at home; shows up in the same things over and over and over. I can't understand why no one tells her about this. And don't even get me started on the hair.

But I guess money talks and the rest walks!

Last edited on 7/10/2010

perryp1278440590.4173238 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

Lisa once said she had - or was working on Hospital /Health Care Administration degree.This was in reference to before she worked for the Q. I think she does hold a degree in this. Anyone else remember her saying this?

Last edited on 7/6/2010

Last edited on 7/6/2010

hopi1278441567.0310860 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

Q holds hosts auditions all the time, if you have enough talent

they will hire you,

what do you think news people earn and they

don't even write their own stories,

you can list the amount of people in 6 figures and everyone wonders why

they call these people "the talent"

"the talent" brings in multi millions of dollars sometimes daily to Q

and many times just in one show

Last edited on 7/6/2010

Last edited on 7/6/2010

Jodee11278443999.777182 PostsRegistered 5/12/2010

It is "amazing" (over used word!) how clueless people are. These hosts work many hours and 6 hours a week is ridiculous. They get to work hours before they they go on air. They are always going to meetings and learning about new products. They work at every hour of the day. I used to work at a hospital and I have worked all shifts. That is hard to keep up with. They need to have people skills because they work with alot of different personalities that are guests on the shows. They work with top designers, Donald Trump who I think could make anyone uncomfortable. If you notice they will put the more experienced hosts with them. David Venable was very professional with Donald Trump as was Lisa R. She is very good with people like Isaac Mizrahi who I think was very nervous and uncomfortable on air. He is getting more comfortable now. People are quick to criticize the hosts, but that is a very difficult job to do and then they read on the boards stupid things people say about them.

chrystaltr­ee1278444256.3712001 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

6-12 hours a day? I don't know if that's funny or a total insult to show hosts. Either way, it's wrong.

tama1278444910.47435 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004jersey shore

I agree that Lisa Robertson is a terrific program host but I must qualify that statement. In my opinion, she used to be wonderful on each and every program she hosted; however, as time has gone by, she only exhibits those truly wonderful qualities in shows that she is new to/does not do often/has a big guest attached to it. In her weekly shows (such as PMS) she is silly and cannot stop looking at herself. She can't even look at her guests (such as Laura Gellar) long enough for them to finish a sentence without looking at herself. She also looks off at the monitor when a caller is talking to her. Many here have defended her stating she is looking at the item(s) being presented in the monitor and I beg to differ. Other hosts have to check out the product positioning as the products come into focus and it does not seem as though they always check themselves out. Again, please remember I started this post with a positive. But I truly cannot stand to watch many of her shows anymore and I don't. I turn her off. And again, this is my opinion.

robomo1278445122.119360 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

Nevermind

Last edited on 7/6/2010

Last edited on 7/6/2010

palmajo1278449478.5837532 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007
On 7/6/2010 suzyQ3 said:
On 7/6/2010 tdog said:

If you seriously think that the QVC's CEO brings in only a half-million dollars a year, you need a reality check ASAP. Wink

I agree that the hosts make about a half mil a year. And yes, the CEO would make MUCH more than that!! PJ {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

suzyQ31278451001.5424519 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 7/6/2010 palmajo said:
On 7/6/2010 suzyQ3 said:
On 7/6/2010 tdog said:

I agree that the hosts make about a half mil a year. And yes, the CEO would make MUCH more than that!! PJ {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Yup. I guess it probably depends upon where you live and other factors, but jeez, an annual salary of $500,000 is not all that unusual these days. So I would imagine that it would not nearly approach what the CEO of a company as huge as QVC would rake in.

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

swissmiss1278452212.022226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

I guess I am not adding that much new--but I am absolutely certain that the hosts work "full-time" hours at the least--40 hours plus a week. They have prep time, meetings, etc. plus their air time. Also, business travel is very time consuming and not much fun. I used to do it all the time, and DH travels a lot for his job.

It does not surprise me that experienced hosts earn a third to a half million $$; CEOs of these type of companies make MUCH more! And as someone said, in some areas and positions, $500,000 is an expected salary. Yes, it is a lot, but not shocking for some situations.

TrackerGal1278452368.5423626 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007

No wonder the Q's prices are so high! Between the hosts, CEO, other employees, they have alot of people to pay.

Last edited on 7/6/2010

Last edited on 7/6/2010

BJR1278453876.4272275 PostsRegistered 8/8/2006

I will just say this they get 6 months training. I as a teen worked as a show presenter at a musuem that was rather large- we were trained and watched and taught how to talk to an audience and learned to talk and present w/o saying "and ummmm" or any other of those type. At that time many adults thought I was in college because of our mature and informative prensentation. I also see this same behavior in politicians as well and it makes me cringe. Please as public speakers talk to us as adults. Please don't do "and ummm " or say Ginormous! UGH! A little slang ok but not all. BJR.

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next