Fall Fashion Clearance
133 Members and 17203 Guests Online

Q Did What?

Easy Pay using bank Debit card

Started 1344348825.307 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1346669956.623 by Jawnkennedy

Looking to purchase an item that can be purchased using 4 easy payments. How does that work when using your bank debit card? Do they put a hold on your debit card for the entire purchase price amount and then just actually debit from your card the monthly payments? It also says that easy pay offers are subject to approval, do they do a credit check?

Thanks

Page 1 of 1
Lizzy Benn­et1344350942.287581 PostsRegistered 2/4/2011

They do put a hold on your account for the entire amount, even though the payments are debited monthly. I'd advise against using a debit card if at all possible for that reason, and also because if for some reason you need to return the item, it can take forever for the hold to drop off and for your account to be credited. Easy pay being subject to approval simply means that the entire amount has to be in whatever account you're using.

flamom19671344351497.3733 PostsRegistered 8/7/2012

Thanks for the response, I was afraid of that...kinda useless to use a debit card then for making payments then if they are just going to put a hold on the entire amount {#emotions_dlg.glare}, might as well just pay for it all at once

KYToby1344354362.021212 PostsRegistered 2/19/2012

i frequently use my debit card for purchases, and they have only ever placed a hold on the amount of the first payment plus taxes and shipping. Generally, with returns, QVC has credited my account within 7 to 10 business days, so it has not been a problem for me. That being said, I know there are board members with nightmare stories.

flamom19671344355086.563 PostsRegistered 8/7/2012
On 8/7/2012 KYToby said:

i frequently use my debit card for purchases, and they have only ever placed a hold on the amount of the first payment plus taxes and shipping. Generally, with returns, QVC has credited my account within 7 to 10 business days, so it has not been a problem for me. That being said, I know there are board members with nightmare stories.

Thanks, I can see them doing that and that makes sense. For them to put a hold on the card for the entire amount kinda defeats the purpose of "easy pay"...I think before I actually purchase I will call them and hope they give me the right answer Wink

Masteryoda1344406086.367163 PostsRegistered 7/25/2012Illinois
On my debit card they do not. They only put a hold for the first easy pay amount and then when it ships that money is taken out. The first easy pay hold stays there until the item ships and then it's charged. Some companies I buy from on the Internet put a hold for the entire amount on my card and whatever items ship then the amount of those items is charged. The full hold amount stays there for 7-10 days on those companies. Depends on ur bank...all u can do is purchase something on easy pay and see what happens.

The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come again.

palmajo1344408790.657503 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

My bank does not take out the entire amount on my debit card...only the exact payment each month.

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

Tissyannie1344457393.766563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010

QVC only charges each installment amount one at a time just like with a credit card.

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

Tissyannie1344457525.9636563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010
On 8/7/2012 Lizzy Bennet said:

They do put a hold on your account for the entire amount, even though the payments are debited monthly. I'd advise against using a debit card if at all possible for that reason, and also because if for some reason you need to return the item, it can take forever for the hold to drop off and for your account to be credited. Easy pay being subject to approval simply means that the entire amount has to be in whatever account you're using.

I have never found this to be the case. QVC only debits your account for one installment at a time just like they do with a credit card. Have you actually used a debit card and had this happen? Not trying to be snarky, just wondering.

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

DJs mom1344536552.813433 PostsRegistered 6/6/2012

The only method of payment I use with QVC is a debit card and they only put a "hold" on for the amount of the first easy payment. If and when I return an item I get my refund usually 2 days after notice of my return being received (I always check the box to notify me when my return is received).

Have a great day on purpose

Pook1344547357.333500 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

I have never had a hold put on my debit card. Actually when using it, since it is a VISA it is just like using a credit card. It might be some of your banks that have this setup.

Pook1344547357.733500 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

I have never had a hold put on my debit card. Actually when using it, since it is a VISA it is just like using a credit card. It might be some of your banks that have this setup.

culebra1344645152.8132314 PostsRegistered 3/22/2005

I use my debit card all of the time. They only debit for the amount of the ez pay.

icezeus1344646186.554375 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

That is incorrect information. I always use my bank debit card. It does have the Visa symbol. Only the amount of the easy pay is deducted.

AClarke1344646331.671 PostsRegistered 8/10/2012

As a former employee of the Q, I can tell you that the order entry representative has to click the ez pay button before submitting the order and it will only debit the amount of the installment. If the rep completes the order then you say you want ez pay then the full amount of the item was put on hold. However, when they send the charge amount to the bank it will only be for the ez pay installment and the hold for the full amount will drop. If you order online you must be sure to check ez pay and it will only hold the amount of the installment.

chinadoll601344647651.237337 PostsRegistered 9/29/2010

I use my debit card all the time even for ezpay purchases. I have never had a problem with them holding the entire amount or with any returns. They take each payment out monthly.

LoveMyGod1344877401.347335 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010

I use my debit card on ez pay and the only amount that comes out is the ez pay and S&H.But I would like to thank you ladies because I need to keep a closer watch on my debit card because I do use it a lot.

As for me and my house we will serve the Lord!!!
Thank God For Grandchildren!!!
Save A Child Support Saint Jude!!!!
If it's not broke don't fix it (Honey)
Dianna53

twocent1344891272.29310005 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008

Not to be bossy ~ though my dh says I am {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

I am one who has experienced some of the nightmares. The full amount "can" be authorized - though only the first installment should be when paying with a debit card.

*also with Bill Me Later.

My advice - when you are ready to place an easy pay order- call customer service. Tell them you wish to place an order on easy pay and you want to make certain that only the first installment amount is authorized on your card. Then give them the item number . Have them assure you -before that final step of submitting the order -that "only the first installment will be authorized."

*If you get someone that tells you that is the way it works and your entire amount will be authorized {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}, hang up and immediately call back for a more "informed employee." Wink

This sounds like a hassle to place an order , but it gives peace of mind if you don't want the full amount authorized.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

icezeus1344912777.24375 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California
On 8/13/2012 ~~twocent~~ said:

I am one who has experienced some of the nightmares. The full amount "can" be authorized - though only the first installment should be when paying with a debit card.

My advice - when you are ready to place an easy pay order- call customer service. Tell them you wish to place an order on easy pay and you want to make certain that only the first installment amount is authorized on your card. Then give them the item number . Have them assure you -before that final step of submitting the order -that "only the first installment will be authorized."

*If you get someone that tells you that is the way it works and your entire amount will be authorized {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}, hang up and immediately call back for a more "informed employee." Wink

This sounds like a hassle to place an order , but it gives peace of mind if you don't want the full amount authorized.

I have had that happened once. I was actually making the purchase online. It was a computer, I selected easy-pay and all. Later on that day, I logged onto my bank checking account and almost had a stroke when I noticed that over $800 had been authorized to come out of my account. I called customer service and it was taken care of.

However, I never order online anymore. I use automated ordering and have not had any problems.

twocent1344977443.32310005 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008
On 8/13/2012 icezeus said:
On 8/13/2012 ~~twocent~~ said:

I have had that happened once. I was actually making the purchase online. It was a computer, I selected easy-pay and all. Later on that day, I logged onto my bank checking account and almost had a stroke when I noticed that over $800 had been authorized to come out of my account. I called customer service and it was taken care of.

However, I never order online anymore. I use automated ordering and have not had any problems.

Just be careful -as I started using only automated and it took a while, but it happened again ! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I understand about "almost having a stroke!" {#emotions_dlg.closedeyes} THUD!

I have had this occur now with every form of ordering , unless I go thru customer service . That is the only way I will order on easy pay- if I am using my debit card.

And I make certain before even giving the item number -that I tell them I am using easy pay and need to make certain only the "first installment" is authorized.

It's a shame to need to go thru the bother, but it can save the feeling of a stroke coming on! Wink

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

wowee1345563633.7373412 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix

I use a debit exclusively and have never had a problem. They authorize only the first payment, it drops off and is debitted out when item ships. Wells Fargo. I have NEVER had them hold the eintire amount. Also, if you have in the past defaulted on an easy pay and not had the funds to pay QVC, they will not let you use it again. that is where the "subject to approval" comes in.

RuthieW1345580449.057285 PostsRegistered 6/9/2012
On 8/21/2012 wowee said:

I use a debit exclusively and have never had a problem. They authorize only the first payment, it drops off and is debitted out when item ships. Wells Fargo. I have NEVER had them hold the eintire amount. Also, if you have in the past defaulted on an easy pay and not had the funds to pay QVC, they will not let you use it again. that is where the "subject to approval" comes in.

wow. really good to know.

circles1345587118.6717272 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.
On 8/21/2012 RuthieW said:
On 8/21/2012 wowee said:

wow. really good to know.

I use my Debit card and belong to Wells Fargo, too.....The payment drops off the next day....I never have a problem.....

culebra1346015542.3832314 PostsRegistered 3/22/2005

I have been using my bank debit card for years for EZ pay. Qvc does not put a hold on my account for the whole amount. They debit my card only for the amount of the EZ pay.

Jawnkennedy1346669956.623414 PostsRegistered 10/17/2005

They DO NOT put a hold on the entire amount, the run the first easy pay through, stop lying! I've been buying things on EP for over a decade using a debit card.

Page 1 of 1