TSV(R) Preview
125 Members and 12745 Guests Online

Q Did What?

Contacted the Better Business Bureau today!!!!

Started 1323200579.86 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1323365508.533 by suzyQ3

Well, I did it today.. I have had enough with QVC double dipping on my credit card.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

It seems that this is a normal practice for them.

You place an order, they authorize it, they ship it, they again authorize that. They are putting thru 2 pending charges for the same order/item. I don’t know about your bank, but my bank hold the funds for a total a 5 business days, before they will release the funds. So I placed an order on Sunday and it was in the 100 range, but it was for 2 different items, so what they did was to authorize the whole amount, and then today, they shipped the order, and they put through new authorizations for the individual amounts, that total that whole amount that was authorized on Sunday.

In the past if I called corporate, they would at least fax a letter to my bank telling them to release one of the pending charges. Today, I was told they aren’t doing that anymore. So depending on your bank, and your purchases, you can all look forward to your money being unavailable to you, for a period of time, unless the Better Business Bureau steps in and tells them that they can’t do this. And what does QVC say about this, “I’m sorry”. Well so am I.. sorry I had to resort to this.. but you left me no choice..

Page 1 of 1
nancypoo1323203670.6471413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

Did BBB mention if yours was the first complaint against QVC?? How many other complaints were on file?? What happens next??

suzyQ31323204367.53322889 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/6/2011 nancypoo said:

Did BBB mention if yours was the first complaint against QVC?? How many other complaints were on file?? What happens next??

You can check to see a company's record on the BBB site. Here's a LINK to QVC's page (scroll down to see rating and complaint history).

Last edited on 12/6/2011

Last edited on 12/6/2011

MSA20041323204518.194647 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

I know I have placed an order on my card and later cancelled it and I have been told by my bank that it takes 3 days for the "pending authorization" to release. It is a real PITA if you do this on a Thursday or Friday, then the funds are "held" until Monday or Tuesday.

I ordered something last week, then I called back the same day and placed another order so I could get more than one of the item. The first order was cancelled. The second order was placed.

The funds for the 1st order were "pending" and not released from that hold for 72 hours.

Last edited on 12/7/2011

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

BonnieBelle1323205369.24718338 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

This is why I would never use a debit card with them, also would never use a debit card to get gas, they hold double the amount you pump.

Coffee Gal1323207062.4940 PostsRegistered 12/8/2005Maryland
On 12/6/2011 BonnieBelle said:

This is why I would never use a debit card with them, also would never use a debit card to get gas, they hold double the amount you pump.

On my gas purchases, they only hold $1.00.. then it comes off at midnight and there is nothing until the purchase posts to my account.

I got an email already that my complaint has been sent to QVC.They have 30 days to respond. So we will see. I just cant get over that they can do this and then tell me that they arent going to fax banks anymore to release at least one of the holds. Do they even realize that doing that means less money equals no new purchases.. they are shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak.

icezeus1323207683.984059 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

My bank also only put's through the authorization for $1.00. Several days later the actual amount that I posted is applied.

icezeus1323207848.3974059 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California
On 12/6/2011 Coffee Gal said:

Well, I did it today.. I have had enough with QVC double dipping on my credit card.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

It seems that this is a normal practice for them.

You place an order, they authorize it, they ship it, they again authorize that. They are putting thru 2 pending charges for the same order/item. I don’t know about your bank, but my bank hold the funds for a total a 5 business days, before they will release the funds. So I placed an order on Sunday and it was in the 100 range, but it was for 2 different items, so what they did was to authorize the whole amount, and then today, they shipped the order, and they put through new authorizations for the individual amounts, that total that whole amount that was authorized on Sunday.

In the past if I called corporate, they would at least fax a letter to my bank telling them to release one of the pending charges. Today, I was told they aren’t doing that anymore. So depending on your bank, and your purchases, you can all look forward to your money being unavailable to you, for a period of time, unless the Better Business Bureau steps in and tells them that they can’t do this. And what does QVC say about this, “I’m sorry”. Well so am I.. sorry I had to resort to this.. but you left me no choice..

I am not sure how I feel about this. I enjoy being able to use my Debit card to make my purchases. I am fortunate that my bank only places the hold for 1 day, and then it drops off. I don't really consider it double dipping. They are checking to verify if you have the funds, and it's your bank not QVC that has actually placed the hold on your funds.

CalmInTheH­eart1323220541.946735 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007
On 12/6/2011 icezeus said:

My bank also only put's through the authorization for $1.00. Several days later the actual amount that I posted is applied.

mine too.

Peace

Coffee Gal1323222499.89940 PostsRegistered 12/8/2005Maryland
On 12/6/2011 Coffee Gal said: <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">Well, I did it today.. I have had enough with QVC double dipping on my credit card.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">It seems that this is a normal practice for them.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">You place an order, they authorize it, they ship it, they again authorize that. They are putting thru 2 pending charges for the same order/item. I don’t know about your bank, but my bank hold the funds for a total a 5 business days, before they will release the funds. So I placed an order on Sunday and it was in the 100 range, but it was for 2 different items, so what they did was to authorize the whole amount, and then today, they shipped the order, and they put through new authorizations for the individual amounts, that total that whole amount that was authorized on Sunday.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">In the past if I called corporate, they would at least fax a letter to my bank telling them to release one of the pending charges. Today, I was told they aren’t doing that anymore. So depending on your bank, and your purchases, you can all look forward to your money being unavailable to you, for a period of time, unless the Better Business Bureau steps in and tells them that they can’t do this. And what does QVC say about this, “I’m sorry”. Well so am I.. sorry I had to resort to this.. but you left me no choice..

I am not sure how I feel about this. I enjoy being able to use my Debit card to make my purchases. I am fortunate that my bank only places the hold for 1 day, and then it drops off. I don't really consider it double dipping. They are checking to verify if you have the funds, and it's your bank not QVC that has actually placed the hold on your funds.

No it is QVC, how would my bank know that? They authorize the purchase, and then its like QVC again puts it through when they ship it.. This is QVC way of doing business. I deal with other shopping channels, and other online retailers. QVC is the ONLY company that does this. If it were my bank as you say, then it would be on all online transactions and like I said it only happens with QVC...

nancypoo1323222949.1271413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011
On 12/6/2011 suzyQ3 said:

You can check to see a company's record on the BBB site. Here's a LINK to QVC's page (scroll down to see rating and complaint history).

Last edited on 12/6/2011

Thanks, I did look at the link---doesn't say much. It says QVC has resolved most of their complaints in a timely manner---we already knew that. Hmm--case closed--no biggie.

icezeus1323223723.064059 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California
On 12/6/2011 Coffee Gal said:
On 12/6/2011 Coffee Gal said: <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">Well, I did it today.. I have had enough with QVC double dipping on my credit card.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">It seems that this is a normal practice for them.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">You place an order, they authorize it, they ship it, they again authorize that. They are putting thru 2 pending charges for the same order/item. I don’t know about your bank, but my bank hold the funds for a total a 5 business days, before they will release the funds. So I placed an order on Sunday and it was in the 100 range, but it was for 2 different items, so what they did was to authorize the whole amount, and then today, they shipped the order, and they put through new authorizations for the individual amounts, that total that whole amount that was authorized on Sunday.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">In the past if I called corporate, they would at least fax a letter to my bank telling them to release one of the pending charges. Today, I was told they aren’t doing that anymore. So depending on your bank, and your purchases, you can all look forward to your money being unavailable to you, for a period of time, unless the Better Business Bureau steps in and tells them that they can’t do this. And what does QVC say about this, “I’m sorry”. Well so am I.. sorry I had to resort to this.. but you left me no choice..

No it is QVC, how would my bank know that? They authorize the purchase, and then its like QVC again puts it through when they ship it.. This is QVC way of doing business. I deal with other shopping channels, and other online retailers. QVC is the ONLY company that does this. If it were my bank as you say, then it would be on all online transactions and like I said it only happens with QVC...

I also shop online often as well as with HSN. All of my transactions while using my Debit Visa card, show up. Then they drop off, and then at some point I am actually charged.

It's water under the bridge. I hope that you receive some sort of resolution that will make your purchases more enjoyable.

Have a good night.

suzyQ31323226248.01322889 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/6/2011 suzyQ3 said:

Last edited on 12/6/2011

Thanks, I did look at the link---doesn't say much. It says QVC has resolved most of their complaints in a timely manner---we already knew that. Hmm--case closed--no biggie.

The link answered your questions, nancypoo. You asked about complaints -- whether the OP's was the first and how many others were on file. So I think it did indeed say "much."

circles1323260293.06316168 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.
On 12/6/2011 CalmInTheHeart said:

mine too.

Mine too...

BonnieBelle1323297525.46318338 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007
On 12/7/2011 circles said:
On 12/6/2011 CalmInTheHeart said:

mine too.

Mine too...

Not in my state, it's posted right on the pump.

purrmom1323302481.423398 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

Looks like their record with the BBB is good.

Helishopper1323307394.5334 PostsRegistered 11/18/2010

The Better Business Bureau is a private company which collects annual dues from businesses to be members. They were recently under investigation for giving better ratings to member businesses, a practice which they claim they no longer do.

Coffee Gal, since you've already complained to QVC without satisfactory resolution, your next step should be to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Go to their website (ftc.gov); there's a complaint link in the upper right column.

Then you could file a consumer complaint with your state's Attorney General for good measure, as well as contact your Senators and Representatives to ask that such double authorizations on debit cards be made illegal. It's a sloppy business practice that only benefits the banks that collect overdraft fees.

And as a last resort, you could always excercise your ultimate consumer power in our free market society and not shop with the Q anymore. Smile

suzyQ31323307706.83322889 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/7/2011 Flipper61 said:

The Better Business Bureau is a private company which collects annual dues from businesses to be members. They were recently under investigation for giving better ratings to member businesses, a practice which they claim they no longer do.

Coffee Gal, since you've already complained to QVC without satisfactory resolution, your next step should be to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Go to their website (ftc.gov); there's a complaint link in the upper right column.

Then you could file a consumer complaint with your state's Attorney General for good measure, as well as contact your Senators and Representatives to ask that such double authorizations on debit cards be made illegal. It's a sloppy business practice that only benefits the banks that collect overdraft fees.

And as a last resort, you could always excercise your ultimate consumer power in our free market society and not shop with the Q anymore. Smile

The quality of the BBB aside, I still use it to check companies, especially those in the service industry that I'm thinking of hiring. QVC is not a member of the BBB, so I'm not worried that there's any bias in the page that linked to in my earlier post.

Helishopper1323313472.514 PostsRegistered 11/18/2010
On 12/7/2011 suzyQ3 said:

The quality of the BBB aside, I still use it to check companies, especially those in the service industry that I'm thinking of hiring. QVC is not a member of the BBB, so I'm not worried that there's any bias in the page that linked to in my earlier post.

Sure, use the BBB as a tool in your consumer arsenal, but keep in mind that they are definitely not a non-profit organization. If you're looking to check out companies, try Consumer Reports (it is non-profit), or a website like Yelp that has reviews of local restaurants and service companies from other consumers in your area.

When I hear someone like Coffee Girl say they want the BBB to step in and make a company stop doing something, I think it's helpful to remind folks that the BBB is not a federal agency and can't force another company do anything whatsoever. The FTC, on the other hand, certainly can.

Also, I think it's funny that the BBB page you link to has QVC's four alternate business names listed as "QVC Network, QVC Incorporated, I QVC...and Grease Buster Tablets." LOL!

suzyQ31323365508.5322889 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/7/2011 Flipper61 said:
On 12/7/2011 suzyQ3 said:

Sure, use the BBB as a tool in your consumer arsenal, but keep in mind that they are definitely not a non-profit organization. If you're looking to check out companies, try Consumer Reports (it is non-profit), or a website like Yelp that has reviews of local restaurants and service companies from other consumers in your area.

When I hear someone like Coffee Girl say they want the BBB to step in and make a company stop doing something, I think it's helpful to remind folks that the BBB is not a federal agency and can't force another company do anything whatsoever. The FTC, on the other hand, certainly can.

Also, I think it's funny that the BBB page you link to has QVC's four alternate business names listed as "QVC Network, QVC Incorporated, I QVC...and Grease Buster Tablets." LOL!

I understand what you're saying about the BBB. But I have to reiterate that when we want to check out a local firm, it's very helpful. We subscribe to Consumer Reports, but that doesn't fill that niche. And Yelp -- yikes. I wouldn't put much stock in those reviews at all. Talk about bias. Not only are they infiltrated by shills, but they are also full of people who may hold grudges or, worse, be quite unstable. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Page 1 of 1