TSV(R) Preview
91 Members and 13513 Guests Online

Q Did What?

QVC buying out HSN - could it happen?

Started 1266294811 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1266469750 by Trisea
Last year QVC tried to buyout HSN but due to some fancy finagling by the head honcho at HSN that lead to a disagreement with the big cheese at QVC's parent company it didn't happen. However, the settlement reached states that QVC can't buy more than 5% of HSN UNTIL May 2010.
Does that mean QVC will try again? And if they do, will they make HSN a mirror-image company of QVC? By them possibly owning HSN will that mean you can no longer purchase online tax-free? Will QVC rape them of all their good products and leave them with the crappy ones, like most big companies do with they take over a competitor?
How do you think this possible "merger" would affect shopping networks across the board and how will it affect you?

Page 1 of 1
stevieb126629507325306 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
Until it happens, if it does, it's hard to say how it would impact the industry or us as individuals. I'm glad HSN is around, even if I don't shop there often. Still, if both networks ceased to exist, all I can say is that I lived for many years without home shopping and, while I'd miss it, I would undoubedly get used to living without them if I had to.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I should have my head examined...

Cloud712662956546501 PostsRegistered 12/29/2009
I feel the same way, stevieb. It's just kind of nice knowing HSN is there and that there is a little competition, although I don't shop there.
Every time I try to watch a program, it just seems so odd or weird. Something about HSN just doesn't feel comfy and cozy to me, if I can put it that way.

"Ensembles are endless" Cloud 7

monalisa14­5212662959521431 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007
Liberty Media (qvc's owner) already owns about 33% of hsn

Trisea126629981213 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010
I completely agree Cloud7! It's not comfy, it seems kind of "low-budget", not as professional as the old QVC (I pretty much only watch David Venable now because the other hosts don't seem to keep my attention - that or I'm just not that into the product they're pitching).
Monalisa I don't know anything about Liberty owning 33% of HSN, this is the first I've heard of that. Where, may I ask, did you get that information?

monalisa14­5212662999891431 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007
From Barrons dot com
Liberty Media Boosts Stake In HSN To 32.8%
May 20, 2009
By Eric Savitz
Liberty Media, billionaire investor John Malone's holding company, has lifted its stake in home shopping cable channel and retailer HSN Inc. (HSNI) to 32.8% from 29.5%, according to a Monday filing with the SEC.
The filing discloses that Liberty acquired 1,872,210 shares for $4.63apiece; the filing says that the shares “were acquired from a financial institution in a post-paid forward transaction.” I'm honestly unsure of what that means. In any case, the company now has 18,516,167 HSNI shares, which is 32.8% of the 56,342,620 shares outstanding as of March 6.
Liberty's HSN stake is held by its Liberty Interactive (LINTA) tracking stock, which also owns rival home shopping channel QVC.
edited to add date
--
Edited by monalisa1452 at 02/15/2010 9:00 PM PST

Last edited on 2/16/2010

Trisea126630054013 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010
I'm sorry monalisa, I take that back, I do know what you're talking about. QVC's parent company owns stock in HSN's parent company. That's what the dispute was about. Just before QVC did their buy, the big guy over there did a spin off of HSN. So they don't "technically" own 33% of HSN, they own stock in IAC and Liberty considers themselves the major owner because they have the most synergies.
And that's 32.8% of shares outstanding.
--
Edited by Trisea at 02/15/2010 9:16 PM PST

Last edited on 2/16/2010

PembrokeCo­rgiMom12663013491758 PostsRegistered 7/20/2009North Carolina
I do not think QVC would take back all those vendors they have kicked to the curb the last 10 or so years.
--
"A dog lives in the moment...and always hopes for the best."
Jack Brown from Little Dancing Dogs.
"Corgi's are half cat." Tasha Tudor
corgimom10-(RN also) and AJ (Corgi)

Phyllis (MOM and RN) and AJ (Pembroke Welsh Corgi-Red and White and Spoiled Rotten)

roses4me12663016631162 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
I really hope it never happens:-(
I think qvc always had the reputation of being the classier of the two channels, imo, that ended a long time ago. With the exception of Shannon, I find their hosts to be much more professional. Qvc now has the carnival barkers. There are still a few hosts I enjoy but I don't like the direction the host training seems to be heading.
Their CS dept has also surpassed qvc's. That shocks me because I swore off hsn for years over that issue.
Today, hsn has the faster shipping (I live in NJ), better sales, many more free shipping deals, faster return credits, and more easy pay offers for those who like that option. I also use more of the beauty brands offered on hsn than qvc so that's a big plus:-D
I know all of our experiences are different but hsn has won me over. I really hope qvc leaves them alone.
:-x
--
Edited by roses4me at 02/15/2010 9:28 PM PST

Last edited on 2/16/2010

insomniac12663224056844 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Not paying taxes when buying online? Where does that happen?

insomniac

Tuco12663268343377 PostsRegistered 3/1/2008Where the Greys fly
We'd all be shopping at ShopNBC then!
--
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
- Mark Twain, Following the Equator; Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul." Emily Dickinson

peace657612663274741168 PostsRegistered 10/17/2009
Insomniac- HSN does not charge sales tax on anything..they are located in Florida and do not have to pay sales tax. I also do not pay sales tax on items ordered from Philosophy.com, as they are in Arizona.

Yogini1266328039376 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007Pennsylvania
States are loosing large amounts of funds from sales tax on online purchases and are trying to close this loophole. My state (PA) has a line on the state income tax where they ask if you owe any "use Tax" on out of state purchases. This is where you are supposed to pay the tax.
Of course, most will ignore this and it is presently pretty difficult for the states to discover those who are not paying.

robomo12663280819199 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005
They are already owned by the same company and have been for years. HSN needs to stay just the way it is. Competition is healthy. ShopNBC is trying - they aren't there yet, but they are really trying. Too many watches and 65" TVs though IMO.

everafter1266340146754 PostsRegistered 6/12/2007
HSN does charge tax. In some states you do not have to pay tax if you order from them online. That's the way it is for me. However, if I place my order over the phone I do pay tax. You are supposed to claim this on your returns at the end of the year but most people don't. I think the IRS will figure this out eventually.

The Beaver1266340343636 PostsRegistered 11/13/2009
If they are owned by the same company, why are there lawsuits between QVC and HSN?
--
Oh, was it something I said?

I should worry, not for nothin' everybody loves me Yes they do! And I love everybody

suzyQ3126634740022883 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
> I feel the same way, stevieb. It's just kind of nice
> knowing HSN is there and that there is a little
> competition, although I don't shop there.
>
> Every time I try to watch a program, it just seems so
> odd or weird. Something about HSN just doesn't feel
> comfy and cozy to me, if I can put it that way.
I totally agree with your perception of HSN. I pretty much can't watch it.
--
Round-Earthers Unite!

depglass126635359622673 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
Your tax situation is determined by the tax laws of your particular state.

Suezen1266422181184 PostsRegistered 8/23/2009
QVC and HSN HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OWNED BY THE SAME CORPORATION - FOREVER...you have to do some searching, and the average person who "googles" would NEVER find the link - but trust me they are one in the same company - always have been, always well be until, we could only hope, people would stop buying the garbage they shuck and realize that if the price is too good to be true it is. There is NO WAY a $26 pair of Northern Nights sheets are the same as sheets you pay $100's for......the same goes for all products. I have even gone so far as to order a product from QVC and the exact product directly from the vendor - the one from the vendor is good quality - the one from QVC/HSN is poor quality......

Trisea126646975013 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010
> Does that mean QVC will try again? And if they do,
> will they make HSN a mirror-image company of QVC? By
> them possibly owning HSN will that mean you can no
> longer purchase online tax-free?
> HSN does charge tax. In some states you do not have
> to pay tax if you order from them online. That's the way it
> is for me. However, if I place my order over the phone I
> do pay tax. You are supposed to claim this on your
> returns at the end of the year but most people don't. I
> think the IRS will figure this out eventually.

I know they charge tax if you phone in your order, but they don't online. Per customer service if you order online you do not have to pay tax (to them), they didn't specify certain states pay tax, that's across the board.

Page 1 of 1