The Joy of Christmas
6 Members and 6835 Guests Online

Q Did What?

The TOO MANY RETURNS Letter

Started 1301785491.503 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1306297322.393 by YupurrsX3

I have received 2 of these letters from QVC Senior VP, Dan McDermott over the years: "I recently reviewed your account and noticed that your returns activity is unusually high. About 98% of our customers return less than 40% of their total purchases each year. By contrast, between December 2009 and November 2010, you returned 43% of your total purchases. At QVC, we want you to be completely satisfied with every purchase. That's why we offer a 30-day return policy. However, with that said, I need to request again that you please consider your purchases more carefully to reduce your number of returns." Dan goes on to give me tips about making "better purchasing decisions" such as "View the on-air presentations or online videos" (I do). Read Customer Reviews and Ratings on QVC.com (I do.) "Refer to sizing charts." (I also read the garment measurements). "Review colors and pictures to help you decide if the product is right for you." (DUH!) Dan's tips do not account for inconsistant sizing or shipment of incorrect, damaged, defective, or pre-owned merchandise. Nowhere does he threaten to close my account, but I have read that other Q members have had their accounts closed. How many letters will you get before they shut you down? Do they calculate based on number of items ordered vs. number of items returned? Or is it dollar amount ordered vs. dollar amount returned?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Hearts4Me1301786051.41601 PostsRegistered 9/27/2005

I think I'm about to get one of those letters, too. I just received a totally unwearable necklace which the beads are so TIGHTLY strung together that the necklace actually coils around. It is beyond ridiculous. No way I could possibly wear it!

And, that will probably put me over the return percentage limit. And I always order carefully, etc. I'm about ready to give up on QVC.

snocool1301791055.5472542 PostsRegistered 12/25/2004

I will never understand why people who return that much continue to shop at QVC. Obviously you are not happy with their products. There is a thousand other online sites to shop from. I certainly can see QVC's point of view about this subject as it drives up costs.

suzyQ31301795613.8324716 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

" Dan's tips do not account for inconsistant sizing or shipment of incorrect, damaged, defective, or pre-owned merchandise"

As another poster suggested, obviously this venue isn't working out for you.

UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach -- FDR

Zoologist1301804108.0976013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010
On 4/2/2011 snocool said:

I will never understand why people who return that much continue to shop at QVC. Obviously you are not happy with their products. There is a thousand other online sites to shop from. I certainly can see QVC's point of view about this subject as it drives up costs.

Gimme a break.

If they change the "30-day/no hassle return policy" to a "30-day/no hassle return policy valid for 3 returns/year", fine.

If the returns are hitting the Q in the bottom line financially, that should send a wake-up call to the powers that be there, ESP. if the number of items returned are increasing as dramatically as they are. And esp. if the long-time customers who were previously very pleased/satisified have become more and more "returners" than "keepers".

Hello?!?!?!?!!? Isn't anyone at the Q listening?

Bottom line: quality has tanked, sizing is all over the map, many, MANY complaints about getting VERY USED products that were NOT ordered "as is", etc.

tantallum13018357121462 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

I agree with zoo, and I've said this on the other 'return letter' posts. I understand excessive returns cost them money. BUT they advertise their return policy to the hilt and use words like, 'unconditional', 'no questions asked', 'no risk at all', etc. when that is NOT true. you will be questioned on your returns if you return to much, there IS a risk of having your account closed if you return to much. they need add that fine print onto their 'unconditional' return policy. like zoo said, they can simply state that the return policy is unconditional, no questions asked, risk free for up to 40% of your items in a given year. there simple, just adds a few words to the return spiel and is honest and transparent.

either it's okay if your customers return, or it isn't. make up your mind and then transparently relay that to your customers.

Hearts4Me1301839461.3931601 PostsRegistered 9/27/2005

Although I realize it's not possible, it would be nice if QVC would actually follow-up and find out WHY there are too many returns.

I rarely return things (only 3 returns out of 21 orders), but 2 of them have been consecutive returns. Both were jewelry and absolutely unwearable (defects), but they just put them back into inventory and slap them on the 'as-is' list....only to no doubt be returned again & the whole buy/return cycle starts for some other unsuspecting customer. Does that mean you are supposed to accept 'as-is' even when that means you can even wear it? LOL.

Last edited on 4/3/2011

Last edited on 4/3/2011

Kathleen1301840163.03712902 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

Have you noticed these frequent returners are among the first to complain about getting used merchandise? If people are returning more than 40% of their purchases, QVC certainly has quite a bit of pre-owned stuff.

Dan's tips do not account for inconsistant sizing or shipment of incorrect, damaged, defective, or pre-owned merchandise.

I think for some of them, ordering and returning merchandise is just a hobby. They had no intention of keeping the stuff. Just wanted to see what it's like.

deeva1301844520.732087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle

I've never gotten the letter, but I seriously consider every item before I submit an order. More times than not, I decide against buying from the Q because of inconsistent sizing. It's become too much of a hassle to return things.

suzyQ31301852811.2524716 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 4/2/2011 Zoologist said:

Gimme a break.

If they change the "30-day/no hassle return policy" to a "30-day/no hassle return policy valid for 3 returns/year", fine.

If the returns are hitting the Q in the bottom line financially, that should send a wake-up call to the powers that be there, ESP. if the number of items returned are increasing as dramatically as they are. And esp. if the long-time customers who were previously very pleased/satisified have become more and more "returners" than "keepers".

Hello?!?!?!?!!? Isn't anyone at the Q listening?

Bottom line: quality has tanked, sizing is all over the map, many, MANY complaints about getting VERY USED products that were NOT ordered "as is", etc.

But zoologist, your post doesn't really answer snocool's. If a customer consistently has problems with his or her purchases, why in the world would that customer keep coming back?

Anecdotal evidence aside, my guess is that QVC's demographic includes a small subset of people who are either extremely compulsive in their shopping habits (a problem fueled by this type of venue where they feel as if QVC and its hosts are like family) or who are abusive in the sense of ordering more than they know they will keep. Or both.

UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach -- FDR

missyw11301856632.3332240 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I agree with the Q's "too many returns letter.".

If you keep contining to return items, then don't shop there.

Department stores or big box stores won't allow this either.

I have returned ONE item in like over 50+ purchases over the years. (The item was broken and I asked for a replacement)

Last edited on 4/6/2011

Last edited on 4/6/2011

blahblahva­mpemerblah1301856900.6276157 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I agree, but at the same time, the vendors fly all over the place. About 1/3 of what I've ordered over the years from Temptations had to be returned because of quality issues, a set of pearls may not be any better than what you'd find at Wal Mart for half the price, a bowl may wobble, scratches on a new item...and so on. Then there are things like sizing issues. Until you nail down how a particular brand sizes their line, you'll end up with a return here or there.

QVC probably just goes by X amount returned without any regard to the why, and they should as that's feedback about their products.

Last edited on 4/3/2011

Last edited on 4/3/2011

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Reggie31301965987.85620 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

You have to have made a huge number of purchases and a huge number of returns to get this letter. If it was me i would take a long hard look at my shopping habits. Why on earth would you continue to buy from here if you think the quality stinks, the sizing is off, etc. Makes no sense at all. If you have received this letter twice something is seriously wrong. Stop shopping....you'll be happier.

ennui1302020330.4919957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I hope all you QVC defenders are on their payroll.

I received The Letter yesterday. My returns are at 52%. And I thought, only 52%? Well, shoot, I can do better than that. And I started to look around to see what else I can return. Surely, with very little effort, I can raise my grade to 60%. Or 65%.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Rubyanne1302027649.467398 PostsRegistered 11/28/2010
On 4/5/2011 ennui said:

I received The Letter yesterday. My returns are at 52%. And I thought, only 52%? Well, shoot, I can do better than that. And I started to look around to see what else I can return. Surely, with very little effort, I can raise my grade to 60%. Or 65%.

Why would anyone have to be on QVC's payroll, to say, for instance, if you're returning half of what you buy, obviously, this retailer is not working for you. That's not being on someone's payroll, that's basic common sense.

It's probably a combination of the customer's fault and the retailers. Impulse buying, unrealistic expectations, the fact that you can't touch and see first and when you do, you change your mind, quality control, sizing issues (but they're everywhere, I can't even buy 2 t-shirts from the same line, in a B&M store, without trying them both on), etc etc.

But the bottom line is, whatever reason's, it's not working.

If I have to return anything, anywhere, it makes me stop and think about why, and whether I'll shop there again. If I was anywhere near returning half of what I bought, well, I can't even imagine that, to be honest.

ennui1302032171.61719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 4/5/2011 Rubyanne said:

If I have to return anything, anywhere, it makes me stop and think about why, and whether I'll shop there again.

Television shopping is a different world. Obviously, you can't try on clothing. You can't examine gemstones for chips and cracks, jewelry for scratches, necklaces for defective clasps. You can't test cosmetics to see if they irritate your skin. You can't examine a frying pan to see if it still has bacon grease all over it. You can't pick up a handbag to see if it has a funny smell.

Sheesh.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

wakefield641302036066.65325282 PostsRegistered 10/22/2006

Don't you think that the length of time you have been a customer should factor into this. I have been a QVC customer since 1989 and probably have spent a lot of money with them. Some of the products you really do have to try for yourself and their return policy is touted by the hosts. I have not received the letter, but I think they should not send them out without certain considerations. After all, they are not the only shopping channel around. Wow, twenty two years of purchases that is a lot of money!

Just my two cents.

blahblahva­mpemerblah1302045398.2276157 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/4/2011 Reggie3 said:

You have to have made a huge number of purchases and a huge number of returns to get this letter. If it was me i would take a long hard look at my shopping habits. Why on earth would you continue to buy from here if you think the quality stinks, the sizing is off, etc. Makes no sense at all. If you have received this letter twice something is seriously wrong. Stop shopping....you'll be happier.

The reason people continue shopping with the Q given these issues is because--as I stated above--the vendors are all different. The quality of one will be superb, and it will stink with another one. Or you'll get something that's defective. The latter has happened to me quite a bit, and it's also happened with local stores as well. You're danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

suzyQ31302046313.88324716 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 4/5/2011 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 4/4/2011 Reggie3 said:

You have to have made a <em>huge</em> number of purchases and a <em>huge</em> number of returns to get this letter. If it was me i would take a long hard look at my shopping habits. Why on earth would you continue to buy from here if you think the quality stinks, the sizing is off, etc. Makes no sense at all. If you have received this letter twice something is seriously wrong. Stop shopping....you'll be happier.

The reason people continue shopping with the Q given these issues is because--as I stated above--the vendors are all different. The quality of one will be superb, and it will stink with another one. Or you'll get something that's defective. The latter has happened to me quite a bit, and it's also happened with local stores as well. You're danged if you do, danged if you don't.

I don't buy this (no pun intended). Of course the vendors are different. So then a person would just stick with the vendor they trust and all would be fine. And yes of course you can receive something that is not up to par, but that can and does happen with any online site and, as you mention, even with purchases made locally.

There must be another reason or reasons to explain why a person would continue to purchase from a company they feel has failed them too often.

Reggie31302051130.16620 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

"There must be another reason or reasons to explain why a person would continue to purchase from a company they feel has failed them too often."

I am always amazed that they want to just blame QVC but do not want to take a looooong, hard look at their shopping habits and why they are shopping.

I have a sister in law like this. She is a compulsive shopper, shopping addict, shopaholic...whatever you want to call it. She blames the stores all the time. She has been "shut off" from returning at certain stores. She buys, buys, buys, and returns, returns, returns. It is a serious problem... just like the people who I think get the letter from QVC imo.

Last edited on 4/5/2011

Last edited on 4/5/2011

YupurrsX31302051935.181879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there
On 4/5/2011 Reggie3 said:

"There must be another reason or reasons to explain why a person would continue to purchase from a company they feel has failed them too often."

I am always amazed that they want to just blame QVC but do not want to take a looooong, hard look at their shopping habits and why they are shopping.

I have a sister in law like this. She is a compulsive shopper, shopping addict, shopaholic...whatever you want to call it. She blames the stores all the time. She has been "shut off" from returning at certain stores. She buys, buys, buys, and returns, returns, returns. It is a serious problem... just like the people who I think get the letter from QVC imo.

Last edited on 4/5/2011

ITA. It's always someone elses fault and never their own.

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

Sabear1302054261.9331735 PostsRegistered 6/6/2007

I think the term unconditional return refers to the guarantee that if you dont like the product then you can return it and be refunded. It just means that you will get your money back.

Sending letters requesting more judicious purchasing is not a violation of the return policy. Nor is closing your account a violation of the uncontitional return policy. Businesses close accounts all the time and that is there perogrative. Besides the financial losses from excessive returns are just passed on to the customer, so I think we should all think carefully before we buy.

I also agree with the poster above who stated that if you have a lot of returns due to inconsistent sizing, etc, The Q may not be the best store for you.

Rubyanne1302112144.107398 PostsRegistered 11/28/2010
On 4/5/2011 ennui said:
On 4/5/2011 Rubyanne said:

If I have to return anything, anywhere, it makes me stop and think about why, and whether I'll shop there again.

Television shopping is a different world. Obviously, you can't try on clothing. You can't examine gemstones for chips and cracks, jewelry for scratches, necklaces for defective clasps. You can't test cosmetics to see if they irritate your skin. You can't examine a frying pan to see if it still has bacon grease all over it. You can't pick up a handbag to see if it has a funny smell.

Sheesh.

But, to me, the question remains, if you're having that much problem with any retailer, why in the world would you continue to shop there?

Maybe I'm too demanding, but, I work very hard for my money. In my profession, I try hard to give my best service to our clients. If I find a company that strikes me as slipshod or even indifferent, I can't see a reason to keep doing business with them.

My experiences with QVC have been very positive. Granted I don't shop a lot, but, in over 20 years, my irritations have been minor and well resolved. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be around nearly long enough to get an excessive returns letter. I'd be finding someplace to shop that did make me a happy customer.

missyw11302115852.52732240 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 4/5/2011 ennui said:

I AM NOT ON THE Q PAYROLL. (wish I was) How many items did you return to make up the 52% return rate? I am sure it's a lot. Like returning 25 + items out of like 50 .

Nobody shares this info.

NHkvs1302177689.9434428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast

I told this once before-so whether it's true or not I don't know! When I posted it before people thought I was talking about myself...but I've only returned 4 items. I just this month have heard about these letters.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I was on a train and it was a long ride, and a woman and I were talking about shopping-long before I bought much at the Q c. 2003. She said she bought items like shampoo, lotions, and transferred them into other bottles and returned them with some reason to QVC. She also added that she had bought items like sheets to re-do her house for Christmas and them when guests had left returned everything. She went on, and on and was proud at how clever she was...I was shocked about the items she had bought. I bet she had returned 90% of what she'd ordered. It was IMO just shoplifting! {#emotions_dlg.sneaky} Then when I came to the QVC Community I started reading posts and treads about customers getting Dooney bags and jewelry that seemed REALLY used.{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I thought back to that woman on the train. I wonder just how many people do that sort of thing?{#emotions_dlg.huh}...Buy items for an occasion, wear or use it/them and then return. OP..I'm NOT REFERRING TO YOU!!!

Conversely, I rarely even take the wrapping off a $300 handbag, or use more than 1 time any product that I don't like. I know the Q says 30 days-but I have always sent an item back the same day or with hours, and handled with care. In fact I just bought a makeup item (something I rarely do,and NEVER clothes...I'm 6' so why try),that I a gave a middling review. For $40 most of it is OK and not worth the $6.95 to return. I'm VERY careful about what I buy anywhere....thus the few returns.

I do remember a few years ago when returns cost nothing and the postman or UPS would pick them up at our door-no longer. Does that mean I'm paying for other people's many returns? I know on the Dooney Forum people say "try the bag for a month and see if you like it." Mine have never even gone outdoors, if I think I might return one. Makeup I buy only if it's a brand I've bought elsewhere. TV lightling is too deceptive to buy makeup IMHO. Clothes I like to try on,and I have my favorite shops anyway....with even lower prices. One Fab re-sale shop even sells Armani for $90. For Dooney, I usually use the trade-in policy, and electronics I ALWAYS check at Best Buy or elsewhere and look at prices and ask before buying from the Q.....I even check eBay! In fact I hardly watch QVC. I DVR a few shows and FF to see what I might like or need...if it's gone then it's gone.Wink No hard sell for me! There is nothing I need or want that badly!!!

I'm sorry for those who are getting letters, it does seem unlike Q policy of "satisfaction guaranteed." Were it me I'd call Corporate and ask why! Especially if I bought clothes or makeup....how can you tell until you get it home? I'd like to know myself. Now I'm nervous about making a return and/or a purchase myself. Can't someone get to the bottom of this? I've considered buying a few clothing items...but now I think I won't...I'm too hard too fit, as I've been told by customer service. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}-Karen

ETA: OP You may be a victim of such a person to whom I am referring-who uses, then returns items; and then the Q sends many of them back out, not marked as "As Is". I think you should call the Corporate office and make your case that you have followed all of Mr.McDermott's suggestions-and still the products you're buying are unsatisfactory...you're not alone! Something has gone awry with quality control from many,many posts I read....and also reviews. Speak up, as it may NOT be your fault at all!!! Don't let it fester-take some action!

Last edited on 4/7/2011

Last edited on 4/7/2011

NHkvs

NHkvs1302180957.754428 PostsRegistered 5/4/2010New England Coast
On 4/5/2011 ennui said:

ennui-You've got me wanting to call Corporate and see just what my return ratio is! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I hope in my long, long post I wasn't defending the Q. I think if I were the OP I'd call Corporate and give them a piece of my mind! I've just started hearing about these "letters" and I'm sure I'll get one in due time! I have 2 items right now to return, one broken and the other misrepresented on air! Boy was it ever! JaneT said it had a long list of instructions and all I got was a 2 page list hooked together by an O ring-No instructions at all! It makes me VERY angry at the Q! VERY! Combust-Karen (and $6.95 to return)

NHkvs

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next