TSV(R) Preview
91 Members and 9765 Guests Online

Q Did What?

"Guaranteed Christmas Delivery" is a Farce

Started 1291998482.193 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1293151937.767 by kittysexton

Protocol is that when a company says "Guaranteed Delivery" by a certain date, if that delivery does not materialize, the business will stand by the "guarantee" and pick up the tab for the item, thus, the customer is compensated for the letdown of not having an item in time for Christmas.

QVC should change the word "guaranteed" to "tentative." It's wrong to tell the public that an item is "guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas when QVC will not pick up the tab for that item.

Page 1 of 5
BurbankKate1291998823.416188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

Who picks up the tab when an item does not arrive it by christmas? I don't know of a company that will do that.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

Yuban31292000042.3938870 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006

That is why wise and smart shoppers shop early, to make sure that the item arrives in plenty of time before x-mas, instead of waiting until the last possible moment to buy something.

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone." -Reba McEntire

"Housework can't kill you, but why take the chance?" - Phyllis Diller

casperinar­izona1292000060.04357 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

If a company says "guaranteed," it's a promise. If a promise is broken, the company has to make amends to the customer by picking up the tab. Customer satisfaction must be maintained at all costs.

Pearlbaby1292000134.156340 PostsRegistered 12/2/2009

Agree if its guaranteed and I need it. I will cancel if late. Thats their problem.

Yuban31292000307.658870 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006
On 12/10/2010 BurbankKate said:

Who picks up the tab when an item does not arrive it by christmas? I don't know of a company that will do that.

I don't know of any companies that will "pick up the tab" if an item(s) doesn't arrive by x-mas, either. I'd like names of companies that do do that.

It seems to me that it would be oh so easy to scam any company that did have that policy. You wait until the last possible moment to place your order, when you know that there won't be enough time for it to arrive, then demand that the company pays when the item doesn't show. Enough people do that, the company would loose a lot of $$$$. Which is why I am skeptical that any company would have that policy to begin with.

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone." -Reba McEntire

casperinar­izona1292000586.93357 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

BurbankKate, I will specifically name one company for you that stands by the word, "Guarantee." The company is Home Express Services. There is a commercial right now on TV that states if your flooring or carpeting is not done by Christmas, you don't pay for it.

Now, that's what "Guarantee" means!

Pearlbaby1292002997.356340 PostsRegistered 12/2/2009
On 12/10/2010 Yuban3 said:
On 12/10/2010 BurbankKate said:

I don't know of any companies that will "pick up the tab" if an item(s) doesn't arrive by x-mas, either. I'd like names of companies that do do that.

It seems to me that it would be oh so easy to scam any company that did have that policy. You wait until the last possible moment to place your order, when you know that there won't be enough time for it to arrive, then demand that the company pays when the item doesn't show. Enough people do that, the company would loose a lot of $$$$. Which is why I am skeptical that any company would have that policy to begin with.

I think people have gotten use to not expecting much. I remember and do see companies that do this. If they dont do what they say I make sure I still want it. Otherwise they lose business.

Lucky Lind­ee1292003241.117446 PostsRegistered 1/7/2009

You are right and their expedited delivery is a joke too. Even if you ship it second day or overnight, it still takes forever for them to ship it out regardless of whether you pay the fee or not.

Jetsmom1292003836.4131173 PostsRegistered 4/21/2009S.E. GA.

I ordered a stuffed chicken item last year that was guaranteed to arrive by Christmas Eve from the Q seven days prior. The item arrived 3 days after Christmas completely thawed and smelly. I called the Q, reported this and my charge was deleted.

Kzeks1292003908.074834 PostsRegistered 5/25/2006Michigan/Europe

That is why wise and smart shoppers shop early, to make sure that the item arrives in plenty of time before x-mas, instead of waiting until the last possible moment to buy something.

So true... In September when some people are grumbling

that the Christmas stuff is already out & that they are

rushing the Holiday Seasons...The Smart people are shopping

many have completed their shopping and only need to purchase

a few things here & there ...

Merchants are NOT restocking....and if you are shopping last

minute, be prepared for delays...Many weather related...

Yesterday there was a delivery truck on its side with all the

contents on the Freeway....All those people who had items

on that truck may have to reorder or told sorry "Out of Stock"

If that delivery truck did not overturn the customers would

have their purchases "Guaranteed by Christmas"

QVC should now say ..."Hopefully By Christmas"...

In-house make them change the word "Guaranteed".....

Pearlbaby1292004067.66340 PostsRegistered 12/2/2009
On 12/10/2010 Kzeks said:

So true... In September when some people are grumbling

that the Christmas stuff is already out & that they are

rushing the Holiday Seasons...The Smart people are shopping

many have completed their shopping and only need to purchase

a few things here & there ...

Merchants are NOT restocking....and if you are shopping last

minute, be prepared for delays...Many weather related...

Yesterday there was a delivery truck on its side with all the

contents on the Freeway....All those people who had items

on that truck may have to reorder or told sorry "Out of Stock"

If that delivery truck did not overturn the customers would

have their purchases "Guaranteed by Christmas"

QVC should now say ..."Hopefully By Christmas"...

In-house make them change the word "Guaranteed".....

Yeah youll get it when you get!.

They should look up "guaranteed". dont use it if you cant

Rubyanne1292004149.753398 PostsRegistered 11/28/2010

A company that does flooring is totally different than a company that is shipping items all over North America and is at the mercy of the carriers delivering those items.

This is Winter and there are areas of the country that have terrible weather at this time of the year; even areas that have relatively good weather can still have delivery affected by bad weather, delaying items getting to them.

In 2008 my city had one of the snowiest Winter's in history. It would have been frankly idiotic not to expect some delays. I don't expect any delivery person to risk their life for my delivery.

No, I don't expect any retailer to pick up the tab for a guaranteed delivery that doesn't make it, and I don't know of any that do. If I pay for expedited shipping, I expect that to be refunded, I expect to be able to return the item, if I choose to, but, pay for the item, no.

So many sites offer this guarantee and I guess the vast majority of it makes it, but, common sense tells me to shop early or take my chances, guarantee or no.

Kzeks1292004407.0474834 PostsRegistered 5/25/2006Michigan/Europe
On 12/10/2010 Jetsmom said:

I ordered a stuffed chicken item last year that was guaranteed to arrive by Christmas Eve from the Q seven days prior. The item arrived 3 days after Christmas completely thawed and smelly. I called the Q, reported this and my charge was deleted.

I ordered a Balboa Cake for Thanksgiving....On the Friday after

Thanksgiving I called QVC & told them that I ordered the cake at

the beginning of November with one of the dates picked by the Q.

The Customer Service person told me that it will be delivered on

December 3.....I had to point out that was way past Thanksgiving.

The invoice showed that the cake was traveling since the 15th Nov

casperinar­izona1292005372.32357 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

Rubyanne, true! A flooring company is different , however, the principle remains the same. If a company "guarantees" a product or service to be in your hands by Christmas, it's a promise that should be rendered. A consumer should not have to pay for being inconvenienced after a guarantee was issued.

Inclement weather can cause deliveries to not arrive on time, however, QVC states "guaranteed delivery" and does not issue any disclaimers, thus, the consumer is being told that he or she will have the product in their hands before Christmas. This is wrong and it is false advertising.

Wise decis­ion1292005750.3031216 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008

That happened to me 2 years straight with the Valerie wreaths. Hadn't even shipped the week it was supposed to arrive. Took hours and hours of fighting and they said I had to wait X number of days before they would refund.....even though the product was NO WHERE is the UPS lineup when it was supposed to have arrived.

Had problems UNTIL I wrote the Federal Trade Commision about the on-air "guarantee" of arriving on time and their keeping my money without shipping it or refunding me. Also cc'd the BBB and other "officials". Then low and behold.....my money was refunded with a $25 credit for my inconvenience.

chrystaltr­ee1292006216.81712643 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

Several years ago, my mom bought a Xmas tree that guaranteed to arrive by Christmas. As I recall, she ordered it about 3 weeks before Xmas...yes, from our own QVC. The tree arrived on New Years Eve day, a tad late for Christmas. I once ordered a Christmas cake that was supposed to arrive before Christmas, it arrived in mid January.

casperinar­izona1292008704.157 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

To show how damaging it can be to advertise "guaranteed delivery by Christmas" when it may not materialize, suppose there is a toy advertised on December 21st and the host is saying up and down and smiling, "Oh, you have no worries about last minute shopping with QVC because if you order before midnight on December 21st and use expedited shipping, this item is guaranteed to be at your door before Christmas?"

Well, the UPS truck passes by your house on Christmas Eve without that toy at your door. You have already told your son or daughter that the toy they really wanted for Christmas would be delivered by Santa. On Christmas Eve night, you have to think of some white lie to tell about Santa not delivering that toy he or she wanted. When Christmas morning arrives and that toy is nowhere in sight, you just know what to expect. Your child will be crying and QVC could care less because they just wanted to make a sale.

Rubyanne1292009840.817398 PostsRegistered 11/28/2010

QVC is far from the only company that makes this guarantee, pretty much every site does, and I know that QVC isn't the only company that can't always keep the promise.

Last year my SO ordered some outdoor equipment from a company he always deals with. It was promised to come in and be delivered for Christmas, but, arrived not until the 2nd week of January. By then it was way too late for his purpose, he'd had to make do with items he found locally. They refunded the expedited shipping, but, that's it.

If you buy your child's toy 4 days before Christmas, knowing that things can and do go wrong, especially with all the Holiday deliveries, and the weather, I think you're taking an enormous risk and better be prepared for it.

Sites should issue a disclaimer in my opinion, but common sense also had to factor in.

stevieb1292029921.56329900 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I generally have had pretty good luck with late purchases arriving on time from QVC. I know they make the effort. It does seem, though, that every year, after Christmas, there are a number of folks disappointed that the 'guaranteed' delivery didn't work out... I guess the lesson there is to realize that guaranteed or not, it isn't truly a done deal, and to order as early as possible...

Im not Lisa1292120024.22316 PostsRegistered 5/7/2006Florida

I agree they should not say "guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas. I fell for that line last year, my last minute gift that was "Guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas arrived on Dec. 28. Lesson learned. They should not push the fact that it is guaranteed. That is false advertising.

I did call customer service and all they said was it was out of their control. They did not seem concerned at all. So much for guarantees.

Last edited on 12/11/2010

Last edited on 12/11/2010

Jawnkennedy1292120319.913414 PostsRegistered 10/17/2005
On 12/10/2010 chrystaltree said:

Several years ago, my mom bought a Xmas tree that guaranteed to arrive by Christmas. As I recall, she ordered it about 3 weeks before Xmas...yes, from our own QVC. The tree arrived on New Years Eve day, a tad late for Christmas. I once ordered a Christmas cake that was supposed to arrive before Christmas, it arrived in mid January.

Why not put up that Christmas tree in Jan so you can be prepared for Christmas in July?{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Yuban31292120333.9178870 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006
On 12/11/2010 Im not Lisa said:

I agree they should not say "guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas. I fell for that line last year, my last minute gift that was "Guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas arrived on Dec. 27. Lesson learned.

I did call customer service and all they said was it was out of their control. They did not seem concerned at all. So much for guarantees.

That is exactly why smart and wise shoppers order EARLY. Novel concept, huh? That way, one doesn't have to sit and worry about whether or not a package will arrive on time. And once a package leaves their wearhouse, it's up to the carrier to get to you in time. It's not like QVC can wave a magic wand or anything.

Im not Lisa1292120803.616 PostsRegistered 5/7/2006Florida
On 12/11/2010 Yuban3 said:
On 12/11/2010 Im not Lisa said:

I agree they should not say "guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas. I fell for that line last year, my last minute gift that was "Guaranteed" to arrive by Christmas arrived on Dec. 27. Lesson learned.

That is exactly why smart and wise shoppers order EARLY. Novel concept, huh? That way, one doesn't have to sit and worry about whether or not a package will arrive on time. And once a package leaves their wearhouse, it's up to the carrier to get to you in time. It's not like QVC can wave a magic wand or anything.

It's the fact that they excitedly say "guaranteed", repeatedly. There was no worrying about the arrival, that's not the point, the point is they pushed the fact it was guaranteed to arrive by Dec. 25 and it was not and they did not care. They should not push the guarantee part so much.

sharonp1292138362.98116 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005

OP you are totally right. What exactly is the guarantee? They promise and promise and promise but if it doesn't happen then what?

Last year I ordered a jewelry TSV a while before Christmas. All day promises of Christmas delivery. I received it several days after Christmas. Sent it back, because had to replace with another gift.

Called customer service and wouldn't even refund my postage. So what exactly was the guarantee?

I would love to have a caller ask one of the hosts on air exactly what will happen if they don't keep their promise.

sharonp1292138363.633116 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005

OP you are totally right. What exactly is the guarantee? They promise and promise and promise but if it doesn't happen then what?

Last year I ordered a jewelry TSV a while before Christmas. All day promises of Christmas delivery. I received it several days after Christmas. Sent it back, because had to replace with another gift.

Called customer service and wouldn't even refund my postage. So what exactly was the guarantee?

I would love to have a caller ask one of the hosts on air exactly what will happen if they don't keep their promise.

Page 1 of 5