Shoes & Handbags Offers
123 Members and 11847 Guests Online

Q Did What?

What happens to items, like handbags, when the hosts throw them off the set?

Started 1290473506.687 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1291226008.22 by jcshopper

Several hosts do this with certain items, as we've all seen. Beautiful, expensive handbags or clothing are tossed to the sides of the set. I always wondered what the company does with these items? Are they sold as "seconds" ? Or do customers (TV viewers), paying full price, receive these products? Does the company clean them up and mail them out? Leather handbags can show visible scrapes/scratches from the floor.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
bettynewbie1290473935.931397 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

The same thing as the ones that aren't thrown.

I would guess they are used again if that color becomes available again or they are sold online as "as i". What difference does it make??

stevieb1290474427.80328260 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

They go into orbit and are never heard from again...

Running ou­t of return$1290474616.123922 PostsRegistered 4/24/2009
On 11/22/2010 stevieb said:

They go into orbit and are never heard from again...

"HOUSTON...WE HAVE A PROBLEM.... a handbag just came flying toward us...yes, an expensive leather bag came right toward us."

blueskies1290474929.3677043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

lol. sounds like certain host supporters or webbies zoomed in on this post real quick!

suzyQ31290475075.72324518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 11/22/2010 blueskies said:

lol. sounds like certain host supporters or webbies zoomed in on this post real quick!

What do you mean? Are posts missing or something?

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

azqfan1290475152.933511 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004

Someone catches the handbag and it is treated the same way any on-air product is treated. They go to the As Is section most likely.

suzyQ31290475840.7124518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 11/22/2010 azqfan said:

Someone catches the handbag and it is treated the same way any on-air product is treated. They go to the As Is section most likely.

Yup, on-air displays are included in the definition of As-Is products.

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

blueskies1290476844.5477043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Okay everyone, let's say if you walked into a department store, and you saw employees literally throwing goods for sale, along/onto the floor, laughing and calling it a "handbag bowling" game or something... wouldn't you wonder?? And if you remained in the store, would you want to be sure , that you didn't pay full price for those items? I bet you would check what you chose to buy, very carefully.

And Thank You, azqfan, for your polite answer. Too bad civility is still a rare thing on these boards.

Last edited on 11/22/2010

suzyQ31290477410.86324518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Okay everyone, let's say if you walked into a department store, and you saw employees literally throwing goods for sale, along/onto the floor, laughing and calling it a "handbag bowling" game or something... wouldn't you wonder?? Would you want to be sure , that you didn't pay full price for those items? I bet you would check what you chose to buy, very carefully.

And Thank You, azqfan, for your polite answer. Too bad civility is still a rare thing on these boards.

But you're not in a department store watching employees bowl with merchandise. You're watching demos on TV. Do you seriously think they would allow hosts to damage their merchandise. I mean, seriously, I am floored that so many posters are so upset about this.

millieshops1290477606.95714618 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

nothing more than happens to the $800.00 bags on the sale tables at Saks.

It's just not as big a deal as som,e would have it be - to me it's just one more bashing of particular hosts

blueskies1290478032.5677043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/22/2010 suzyQ3 said:

Okay everyone, let's say if you walked into a department store, and you saw employees literally throwing goods for sale, along/onto the floor, laughing and calling it a "handbag bowling" game or something... wouldn't you wonder?? Would you want to be sure , that you didn't pay full price for those items? I bet you would check what you chose to buy, very carefully.

But you're not in a department store watching employees bowl with merchandise. You're watching demos on TV. Do you seriously think they would allow hosts to damage their merchandise. I mean, seriously, I am floored that so many posters are so upset about this.

I believe it's a rational comparison. It's "merchandise for sale" versus "merchandise for sale". Can you give one reason why TV sales should be held to a lower standard? The cash people pay is the same .

blueskies1290478292.2177043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/22/2010 millieshops said:

It's just not as big a deal as som,e would have it be - to me it's just one more bashing of particular hosts

Good point , Millieshops, but when bags fall off the "Sale table" at SAKS, it's an accident. It's not a deliberate action. And no, my post is not a host bash; I named no one. I truly have better things to do . I had a valid question.

suzyQ31290479949.42724518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Good point , Millieshops, but when bags fall off the "Sale table" at SAKS, it's an accident. It's not a deliberate action. And no, my post is not a host bash; I named no one. I truly have better things to do . I had a valid question.

You had a question, but you didn't apparently like the answer. Demo products are sold "as is."

These handbags are not being put through a thresher, for goodness' sake. Again, why would QVC allow its merchandise to be ruined? Answer is, they wouldn't. It doesn't make any sense whatsover that they would stand for hosts ruining handbags and then that they would go ahead and knowingly send out damaged goods.

Blondilocks1290483748.663856 PostsRegistered 3/13/2007Home

I think the whole point to this post is some hosts treat the merchandise (bags) with little regard to them. It may seem silly to some but seems to me certain hosts are bored with their jobs and prefer playtime to sell time. No matter how much or how little an item costs it should not be tossed like a piece of garbage in a trash can.

Skylands1290483865.076087 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

Several hosts do this with certain items, as we've all seen. Beautiful, expensive handbags or clothing are tossed to the sides of the set. I always wondered what the company does with these items? Are they sold as "seconds" ? Or do customers (TV viewers), paying full price, receive these products? Does the company clean them up and mail them out? Leather handbags can show visible scrapes/scratches from the floor.

blueskies, they save them especially for you! Move on, get a life and don't worry about tiriva!

blueskies1290485728.537043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You had a question, but you didn't apparently like the answer. Demo products are sold "as is."

These handbags are not being put through a thresher, for goodness' sake. Again, why would QVC allow its merchandise to be ruined? Answer is, they wouldn't. It doesn't make any sense whatsover that they would stand for hosts ruining handbags and then that they would go ahead and knowingly send out damaged goods.

You're correct, Millie, that I didn't like the barrage of flippant, rude, "non-answers" to the non-emotional question I had posted . It was just a valid question, and people jumped all over it like attack dogs! lol. Except for one person who answered with real information. I do like answers like that one , which include facts.

blueskies1290487001.117043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/22/2010 skylands said:

blueskies, they save them especially for you! Move on, get a life and don't worry about tiriva!

Yes, skylands, I do believe that "they" will save them for me from now on. How funny. And how clairvoyant you are, because we are planning to move (on) , as you suggested. We are re-locating. Lastly, since I've posted less than 291 times in 6 years, I'd suggest you & others who have posted thousands of times, in just 1 to 3 years, are the ones who might need to "get a life" ! Well, this was an enlightening experience! I feel as if I've been back to junior high school today! Good luck, kids.

Shawnie1290487699.4872409 PostsRegistered 10/12/2007

They are "throwing" the bags to production assistants, the same people who set up the merchandise. No damage. Even if they did land on the floor I can't imagine that a bag is going to scratch. And clothes that might fall on the floor, yep again, no damage. Not to worry. They are moving pretty fast and they need to get the sold pieces off of the set!

kivah1290488657.473487 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

Maybe the people behind the scenes - like the customer service people - get these bags.

blueskies1290488863.317043 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sandy Rose & Shawnie, thanks for your comments.

Sooner1290488970.3214658 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I believe it's a rational comparison. It's "merchandise for sale" versus "merchandise for sale". Can you give one reason why TV sales should be held to a lower standard? The cash people pay is the same .

I simply cannot believe anyone cares about t his issue. They are sample bags. They are demonstrator bags, and like the food they cook it is throw away items that are used to sell and show, they are even tax deductions. It is a few bag out of thousands. It isn't a big deal. And I feel quite sure nobody in QVC management really cares what happens to a few bags when they are selling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth. And see, made you look didn't it?

kiddo1290489379.85710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

They enter the Next Life... and show up as graphics flying on a screen saver.

Like those toasters on the After Dark screensaver when Apple first released the MacIntosh personal computer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cm7tv5cM8g&feature=related

Oh, gee. I'm aging myself here, aren't I?

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

haddon91290491152.3136029 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On

I simply cannot believe anyone cares about t his issue. They are sample bags. They are demonstrator bags, and like the food they cook it is throw away items that are used to sell and show, they are even tax deductions. It is a few bag out of thousands. It isn't a big deal. And I feel quite sure nobody in QVC management really cares what happens to a few bags when they are selling hundreds of thousands of dollars worth. And see, made you look didn't it?

I agree with you and this is exactly how they look at their demo merchandise!

This topic has come up often. Why would anyone think that bags are just tossed off the set without anyone on the other end catching them anyway? There are people working behind the scenes on the sets constanly bringing in new merchandise and removing the stuff that was just presented.

What do you think they do with cookware that's been used on the set? How is that any different?

suzyQ31290529636.624518 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

You're correct, Millie, that I didn't like the barrage of flippant, rude, "non-answers" to the non-emotional question I had posted . It was just a valid question, and people jumped all over it like attack dogs! lol. Except for one person who answered with real information. I do like answers like that one , which include facts.

I'm not millie.

Maybe you've never seen any of the posts and threads about this?

But they are undoubtedly the reason that you received some flippant replies here. Many posters here have seen this issue come up -- whether it's a question, a complaint, or a complaint couched as a question -- over and over and over.

stevieb1290546922.3828260 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
On 11/22/2010 scribo said:

They enter the Next Life... and show up as graphics flying on a screen saver.

Like those toasters on the After Dark screensaver when Apple first released the MacIntosh personal computer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cm7tv5cM8g&feature=related

Oh, gee. I'm aging myself here, aren't I?

Careful now, regardless of whether or not you age yourself, you wouldn't want to be flippant...

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}Wink

Just as I wouldn't want to make any leaping assumptions about a host's boredom level with their job, need for attention or overall personality structure... based on them tossing a demo bag off the set to someone when it sells out...

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Last edited on 11/23/2010

Last edited on 11/23/2010

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next