Meant for Mom(SM)
16 Members and 9275 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Need Help with my Doxie

Started 1277138663.79 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1277209356.69 by france54
replies

I have 3 dogs ... all rescues ... A chocolate lab, mixed breed (pit bull/greyhound) and a long haired Daschund.

The Doxie was ALWAYS a picky eater. A few weeks ago we had her fixed and micro chipped. She had no appetite for days after the surgery and I was getting worried. The vet thought there was nothing wrong with indulging her for a few days.

So we fed her more human food than normal ... healthy chicken, turkey, fresh vegetables, cooked eggs etc.

Fast forward several weeks. She will not even look at dog food or dog food treats.

She has not eaten in 24 hours.

It has become sort of like a competition. How long can she wait us out?

Will she eventually eat? We have tried dozens of dog food brands (both dry and wet). Thank goodness my other 2 will eat anything.

Page 1 of 1
alyeska1277139412.41774 PostsRegistered 5/12/2005South Jersey

My chihuahua mix is also very fussy. He got used to people food when I was in the hospital. I am slowly mixing his wet dog food in with people food. I am up to a 50/50 split. He's not happy, LOL! They can be very stubborn, good luck!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

MalteseMom­ma1277139638.1137296 PostsRegistered 8/15/2006Formally Corgimom

My {{{{chihuahua}}}} ate nothing but "hand fed steak" by me only.......lol.....for all of his 18 yrs of life, or he wouldn't eat a thing.{#emotions_dlg.wub} thats love for ya......lol

When you reach the end of your rope,you will find the hem of His garment

PaintLover1277140189.4934 PostsRegistered 8/9/2005

I have had 3 doxies. While I have not had any who were picky eaters, they all MUCH prefer people food. As they tend to put on weight easily which is bad for their backs, this isn't good for them. A vet once told me that one french fry (my Belle's favorite) is like a whole order for a little doxie. I would suggest mixing her dog food with people food. Then each time use a little more dog food and a little less people food until she is back on the dog food. Good luck! (They are smart little things and very manipulative but the most wonderful pets I've ever had!)

Doxie1277144452.048855 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Are you saying that since she had surgery three or more weeks ago that she has not eaten her regular diet of dog food? You have fed her people food for that long. Doxies do love people food and she may be liking that. Part of me would want to check with the vet if she is not eating , drinking and pooping for 24 hours. Maybe you could just call them and ask them since you already talked to them about this a few weeks ago. She is an unusual dachshund to be a picky eater. I do agree with mixing some people food with dog food. Make sure you use foods with no seasoning. Thank you for rescuing your babies and let us know how it goes.

doxie

CherN1277153407.073511 PostsRegistered 2/13/2008

Good luck cause you're going to need it. I have one doxie that eats the raw diet and the other who eats a mixed bowl of some rice or pasta, some type of veggie, and some type of meat (ground turkey, beef, chicken), but then at other times she'll eat the raw diet too. They are tough to feed and I have cried many times cause they weren't eating. Try some rice and chicken. I put the chicken in the crock pot.

Sunshine Fairy - I've hand fed mine too, but when they don't eat - you get desperate and do what will get them to eat!

Bonnieshor­es1277153549.307634 PostsRegistered 11/4/2008

I have a Welsh Corgi...very spoiled (my fault, not hers). We've been down this road too.

She eventually eats...she's just really, really good at holding out! We do hand feed her though...hence the "spoiled" label. But we consider it bonding...so there you go.

Good luck!

free-spirit1277155811.7272069 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007New Jersey

Doxie ...

She has been to the vet twice since her surgery and he believes she is just fine.

She acts fine, runinng, jumping, playing, drinking water and going to the bathroom. She just will no longer eat dog food or treats.

She was always a picky eater. Even before her surgery she turned up her nose at many meals.

During her recovery she was not eating so I resorted to human food. I offered dog food but she repeatedly turned up her nose. So for about 10 days it was all human food.

Since then I have tried to force her back on dog food and she just turns up her nose and walks away. After 2 meals I give in ... and typically give her some human food. She just picks out the human food and leaves the dog food.

newindysun1277159442.4365 PostsRegistered 3/13/2010Northern New England

Hi - I have a long hair doxie , Sophie, as well. I travel a couple of times a month for work and when I do, my former MIL takes care of her (the dog is her favorite grandchild!). She spoils her rotten, including giving her treats as well as human food. I've gently requested that she not do this but she just can't seem to resist those big brown, soulful eyes that seemingly say, "I'm starving!". Anyway, when Sophie comes back home after a visit with Gram, she turns her nose up at her dog food. She refuses to eat it, sometimes going 2 or more days without eating. She's a very stubborn girl! Finally her hunger gets the best of her and she eats and there is no problem until I travel again. We go through the same cycle every time. I would only start to worry if she goes more than 3 days without eating (assuming she is still drinking water). Good luck!

france541277209356.693239 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Good Morning, try putting all that deli sh food ... in with the dry dog food. If that does not work, try taking a small teaspoon of the gravy drippings from the meat and chicken [a very small amount] and mix with the dry dog food. I hope that helps... good luck with that!WinkSmile

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!

Page 1 of 1