Fall Fashion Clearance
158 Members and 12766 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

How can I remove dog hair in washer/dryer?

Started 1275128281.283 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1275275975.773 by kachina624

please forgive me if this has been asked before.

i have a mini doxie(not much hair) and a german shepherd dog that sheds like crazy even though i take him to the groomers.

i mean he sheds soooooooo bad. i am finding that keeping up with his hair around the house is a part time job!

here is my question---does anyone have any tips on how to remove pet hair while i am doing laundry? are there any special dryer sheets, etc?

i get alot of pet hair from clothes in just the normal washing and drying but some of it is stubborn! i clean the lint trap after every drying cycle. maybe if i washed that lint trap? i have heard that the bounce dryer sheets put a coating on the lint trap?

THANK YOU!!!

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Page 1 of 1
kiddo1275128580.00310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Yes. Dryer sheets -- Bounce brand or any other brand -- DO coat the wire mesh of the lint trap.

However, just to remove the hair from your wet, freshly washed clothes you CAN put a dryer sheet in with your laundry in the dryer.

Just don't swipe the lint trap with a dryer cloth.

Last edited on 5/29/2010

Last edited on 5/29/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

kiddo1275129023.0710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Resolved Question

Dog bed-dog hair-washing machine- tips please!!?

I have washed the dog bed and there is dog hair in washing machine- i will try to wipe of much of it out as i can with kitchen roll, then run a cycle. In future is there any tricks for collecting the hair in the machine with something that it will stick to whilst in the washing machine? Surely some one has some ideas...or has something been invented for this problem!
  • 2 years ago</abbr>

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

you can buy balls made of a type of velcro to put in with whatever you are washing and the fur/fluff sticks to the balls. They are usually available from $2 cheap shops and are advertised in books sent through the mail for gimickly things around the house.
  • 2 years ago</abbr>

----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

kiddo1275129849.12710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I've never washed a lint trap, but I hear tell that we really SHOULD be washing our dryer's lint traps.

To wash them, if you have a hose that you can use outdoors, I'd take the lint trap outdoors and hose the heck out of it.

If you don't have a hose or otherwise are unable to hose the trap outdoors... I've been told that you can wash it in your tub ....

or your shower-tub

or shower.

I'm not so sure, myself, if I'd be comfortable washing the lint trap in the shower or the tub. Simply because I know that I'd be gucking up the drain from all that lint.

Your mileage may vary. I just would NOT wash a lint trap in the shower or the tub.

================

I know a maintenance man who says he washes HIS dryer's lint trap by putting it on the top rack of his dishwasher.

Last edited on 5/29/2010

Last edited on 5/29/2010

----

rebel1275129870.0835440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

thanks so much!

never heard of the velcro balls but i will be looking for them.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

kiddo1275129961.5110263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 5/29/2010 rebel said:

thanks so much!

never heard of the velcro balls but i will be looking for them.

Yeah. Though... I was trying to picture how those'd work.

After all... wouldn't the velcro hitting the material pretty much ruin the clothing!???

----

kiddo1275130488.8510263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Try looking at the bottom half of this page.

It talks about cat hair... but I suppose dog hair could be a similar thing??

----

kiddo1275130596.10310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Removing Cat and Dog Hair from Bed Sheets and Blankets

----

kiddo1275130901.52710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Found it!!

Magic Fur Ball Pet Hair...

It's called

Mind you.. I have never owned a dog or a cat. I was just Googling around for ya.

Hope this helps!

Um... According to the descriptive text at this product's page at Kaboodle...

I see that it's supposedly sold at QVC!??

Description:
De-fuzz. Pop the Magic Fur Ball in the dryer and let it work wonders in removing pet hair, lint, and other surface fuzz from your clothes.
At the end of the cycle, the debris is collected in the dryer's filter.
Sized and shaped like a softball, it's made from fleece and microfiber materials and is suitable on wet or dry clothes.
Measures approximately 5" Diameter.
Red/Black. Made in China.
Highlights:
* QVC Price: * $13.93 * Shipping & Handling: $3.97

Last edited on 5/29/2010

Last edited on 5/29/2010

----

kiddo1275131281.2210263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

There's another site to buy this same product -- here --

Magic Fur Ball Removes Pet Hair From Clothes

Magic Fur Ball Removes...
The Magic Fur Ball? removes allergens such as pet fur and hair, as well as lint, by creating a static charge that lifts these materials into the air and separates them from the fabric during the drying process.
This patented process makes the Magic Fur Ball? truly unique from other dryer products. In addition to removing particles such as fur and lint, the Magic Fur Ball? also softens fabrics naturally.
During the drying cycle the Magic Fur Ball? lifts and separates clothing allowing air to circulate more efficiently and properly throughout the dryer.
This reduces the drying time, allowing your clothes to dry faster.
That's a lot of electricity and money you will save in one years time!
=============
( me, scribo, again. There's someone who's posted their comments.. the same comments.. twice on that site )

I've got 3 long-haired cats. I bought a Magic Fur Ball last year on QVC and it works great. You just put it in your dryer. It loosens the hair and the lets it flow into the lint trap. The ball is reusable. I've used it for hundreds of loads. You can buy them online now. http://www.magicfurball.com

----

rebel1275131710.0875440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

scribo,

you are amazing! thank you! at first i thought the balls might ruin your clothes but it doesn't look like they will.

this may be just the ticket!

kiddo1275132175.09310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I don't know about doxies... that have only hair?

But don't German Shepherds have FUR under their hair??

I've heard tell that dogs with fur have to be brushed twice a year... since they shed their entire coat of fur only twice a year.

And they continue shedding somewhat all the time the rest of the year.

QVC sells a really great pet grooming brush. I know, because I bought someone one of those once for him to brush his dog. I wound up sitting his dog for a couple of weeks, during which time I used that brush on his dog.

I recommend that you brush the dog OUTDOORS... with an open, brown paper grocery sack within reach because you'll be pulling that hair from the brush and dumping it into that sack for HOURS once you start brushing the dog.

Since you'll be getting rid of most of that fur BEFORE you do your laundry, then you won't have so much fur and/or hair IN your washer and dryer?

M15553 -- FURminator Professional 3" deShedding Pet Grooming Tool

And your dogs will, I'm sure, just lay there and take it. They'll want you to keep brushing them for for-ever!!

Pet Groomer With A Dog And Cat

----

rebel1275132519.5535440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i actually have the furminater and use it on him about every other day.

i use the furminater first and then something called a zoom groom whichis kind of rubbery an gets more hair.

he loves to be brushed. we have built in benches on our deck which is the perfect height. he jumps up there hoping to be brushed!

the fur flies! i have a friend who says hers shed like crazy too. i have never had a german shepherd in doors before. as a kid, we kept them outside.

i call him my part time job!

kiddo1275134261.710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Ah, well. Then that's it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

All I can do is find what I *think* you're calling a "velcro ball."

I "think" that one that I posted a couple of postings ago might be what you're thinking about for "velcro ball?"

----

rebel1275137271.835440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i am going to get the magic ball. i haven't ordered it yet but it's worth a try along with cleaning my lint trap. and i mean scrubbing it with soap or vinegar to cut any dryer sheet build up on it.

i will definately let you all know how those magic balls work.

kiddo1275137985.15710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 5/29/2010 rebel said:

i am going to get the magic ball. i haven't ordered it yet but it's worth a try along with cleaning my lint trap. and i mean scrubbing it with soap or vinegar to cut any dryer sheet build up on it.

i will definately let you all know how those magic balls work.

I hope those magic balls work for ya!

Oh... before I forget --

about washing your dryer's lint trap ---

do NOT use soap. That's because soap, itself, leaves a film. No matter how diligently you try to rinse the soap off completely.

Best to use just some white vinegar. The acid in the white vinegar will clean the screen just fine.

I found a page giving instructions on cleaning a dryer's lint filter. At that page it says only to give it a quick scrub and rinse in warm, soapy water.

(um.. "rinse" in "soapy" water?!?)

----

kiddo1275138074.91710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Okay. Now I'm on a roll...

From Appliance Aid --

We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes....or so we thought we did. The appliance tech told us that he wanted to show us something. He took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. Now, this thing is like a mesh-I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like - WELL......the hot water just lay on top of the mesh!!! It didn't go through it at all!!! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh and that's what can burn out the heating unit or cause longer than normal drying times. You can't SEE the film, but it's there.

He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time ( and to keep your electric bill lower ) is to take that filter out and wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush ( or other brush ) at least every six months.

He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that???!!!! Learn something new everyday!

Note:

We went to dryer and tested my screen by running water on it.

Sure enough, the water collected in a puddle, nothing went through screen!

And this was after I used the vacuum cleaner hose on it!

So I turned on the hot water and took a little detergent and a nylon brush and gave it a little scrub I had it done in 30 seconds.

I then ran the water over the screen and what a difference the water just gushed through it with no puddle at all and this time!

----

kiddo1275138187.17710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Washing Lint Filter Extends Clothes Dryer Lifespan

Sources ranging from manufacturers to consumer agencies agree with the recommendation to wash clothes dryer lint filters occasionally with warm, soapy water and a soft brush to remove chemical residues left by fabric softener sheets. A clogged lint filter not only hampers dryer efficiency, experts say, but can cause overheating, which increases wear and tear on the appliance as well as the risk of fire.

<!-- End of Headline -->

----

kiddo1275138551.27710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Rebel, thanks for asking your original question.

I'd been told NOT to use a used dryer sheet to clean my dryer's lint trap.

Since then, I've been using the tips of my fingers... and fingernails when some lint had amassed under my fingers... to remove filter lint.

Now.. I'm going to have to gird up my loins and manually wash the filter, myself.

Dryer

----

rebel1275148853.7635440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

scribo you are cracking me up!!!! i really am laughing out loud!

ok, so i am going to put cleaning that lint trap on my list of things to do!

oh yeah, how stupid--rinse in soapy water!! DUH!

kachina6241275275975.77314641 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I recently read this hint somewhere, probably in a newspaper column. They said to buy a yard of tulle fabric and throw it in the washer with your clothes. Apparently it grabs the hair. I have the same problem but haven't tried the tulle fabric yet.

Page 1 of 1