Guaranteed Delivery
13 Members and 16525 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Does Anyone Have A Doggy Door?

Started 1268838252.357 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1269661921.57 by TexasMom1

Looking to replace our back door which leads to our patio from our den. Our golden doodle goes in and out constantly and we are considering a "doggy door". Any advice? Are there security and weather issues, such as letting in hot and cold air, much less a burglar? We do not have a glass screen door over the current door. Thanks for any help or thoughts!

Page 1 of 1
Grammy751268839398.34909 PostsRegistered 8/30/2007

We do. It opens out into a storage house that is attached to the house. We then have another doggy door that opens on to the patio. We have not had any problems with the weather or any of the other concerns you posted. I love having their door. We leave our dogs daily and for the weekend. They carry on like we are home. I would recommend doggy doors to anyone.

doxiex21268839774.36170 PostsRegistered 4/9/2009

We do have a doggy door that we cut into an outside wall and love it.  Our 2 dogs now go in and out as they please.  It has really freed us up and we don't worry about them having accidents in the house.  Don't worry about security because the doggy door is so small plus it does come with a cover that you can use to close it up. 

TexasMom11268846757.7173433 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Did you install the door yourself or did you have a contractor do the job? Thanks for your responses! 

Kachina6241268880400.4716990 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I have four dogs and a dog door inserted into the space with my sliding patio door.  I could never accomodate letting them in and out as many times as they need every day so it's a godsend.  The door is drafty.

If you have a door cut into a wall, you can use a type of door that has 2 flaps and lets in much less cold air.

I must mention that years ago when I lived in Texas, I had burglars enter my house through a dog door built into my wood back door.  It was only 8 X 10" so I don't know how they got through it but they did.  My current door is about 9 X 15" and my son crawled through it once when he was locked out of the house.

There is a flimsy insert that can be used for "security" purposes but it could easily be kicked out.  It does keep out things liike mice and possums.  Heaven forbid a skunk should ever go through it.

Grammy751268890035.853909 PostsRegistered 8/30/2007

My DH installed himself. He is very handy though! We have never had any problems with security. We have an alarm system and they didn't ask if we had a doggy door!

loveangel11268944143.81362 PostsRegistered 2/22/2010

i installed it my self

CamilleP1268955581.0833404 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

Given how prone to bladder cancer my dogs are (Scotties), we've always had doggie doors.  The easiest to install are the inserts that fit into sliding glass patio doors, just a few sheet metal screws to affix the insert into the frame and you're done.  Cutting holes into exterior walls is a huge pain, but we've done a couple of those, too.  If you have a solid core door, it's pretty easy to cut a hole in that and install the framework for the doggy door. 

For security concerns, since I'll bet your Doodle is a real love-bug and gives kisses to everyone he meets, you might consider the electronic version of a doggie door.  You put a "key" on your dog's collar, and if he tries to go through the door, it opens, but if anyone else tries, it's locked shut. 

I've never worried about it, since our doggie doors are so small it would take a young kid to get through them, but I pity the "artful dodger" who tries it, Scotties have way bigger teeth than most people realize.  Same reason I never worry about wildlife intrusion, no critter is going to live long enough to make it to the doggie door, let alone inside the house!

Kachina6241268965668.1316990 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Same reason I never worry about wildlife intrusion, no critter is going to live long enough to make it to the doggie door, let alone inside the house!

That's what I thought too until they killed a skunk in the yard.  They could have easily brought it inside to "show" me as they did with a dead bird recently.

Kachina6241268965670.35316990 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Same reason I never worry about wildlife intrusion, no critter is going to live long enough to make it to the doggie door, let alone inside the house!

That's what I thought too until they killed a skunk in the yard.  They could have easily brought it inside to "show" me as they did with a dead bird recently.

CamilleP1268967699.083404 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

Well, Kachina, you have to admit, the skunk and the bird didn't make it through your doggie door under their own power!  Wink  My boy I lost to cancer a year and a half ago was a big snake-killer, and he brought a few of them inside, but by golly, no snake, skunk, mouse or other critter has come in through the doggie door of their own volition!  Laughing

I love my ­Lola1268971534.1571 PostsRegistered 3/18/2010

Hi, This is my very 1st post so bare with me.  I have a 3 yr old Standard Poodle named Lola.  My trainer told me not having a dog door is like not having a micro-wave oven. 

I have the kind that can only be opened when Lola is in front of it when wearing a device around her neck.  That way my kitty's can not go outside and other critters can not come in.

I did have a small doggie door years ago where i used to live and had a Maltese and a Shitsu. Maybe a 5 by 7 size.  A 6ft tall, skinny man crawled thru it. I could not believe it so i tried it.  It was tough but i got through.  So.... If they want in nothing is going to stop em!  I do feel safe with my alarm.  Good Luck!

garnet081269014784.2374587 PostsRegistered 10/11/2008Kentucky

Good Morning , and welcome !

I have a doggy door and have for several years .We love it ! ..But  we don't live out where we have to worry about anyone coming in .So we've never had a problem ..Our Maltese run in and out so much In the Spring ,It would be hard for us to be without one ..But I can  understand , if anyone feels unsafe about having one ..

But so far it works great for us ..Good Luck !!

poregirl1269208876.3277463 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north
On 3/18/2010 I love my Lola said:

My trainer told me not having a dog door is like not having a micro-wave oven. 

I have the kind that can only be opened when Lola is in front of it when wearing a device around her neck.  That way my kitty's can not go outside and other critters can not come in.

We love our 2 dog doors .we have a 12" beagle so its fairly small. Our "baby " happily goes down the stairs to the basement out the dogdoor to to garage & out another in the garage to the outside. It makes it cold in our basement but I'd rather have it there than on the main floor.

Saw some really neat dog doors at Home depot but the cost was outrageous. We got ours at a farm supply type place.

So far only a cat has gotten in inside when it was about 1 degree out. I couldnt blame the poor thing but our beagle went nuts!

I fear the day beagle wants to show us the trophy dead squirrel-yuck

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you BATH&BODYWORKS, L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena, Avon

Kachina6241269241936.87316990 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I just remembered a friend who had a possum come in her dog door.  It got in the works to their soft bed and they had a devil of a time getting it out.

saluki1269364750.407168 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007Clyde, MI

I don't have a dog door, but as I have dogs I have considered it.  I know people who have dog doors.  One person with multiple dogs reports that she has one dog who sits by the dog door opening and waits for the other dogs to come through so it can "attack" them as they come in.  Another woman told me her dog goes out through the dog door and then sits outside it and bats it back and forth with his paw so the other dog cannot go through.  Then you have security issues and bringing in dead animals and such.  Also I like to be in charge of when the dogs are going out.  Sometimes there are things outside you don't want them getting into.  So if you have a dog door it would definitely have to go out to small space and not let them wander everywhere.  It is good to know all the possiblities. Good luck!

sdcowboy1269365105.2815 PostsRegistered 2/9/2009Palm Springs, Ca.

I not be too keen on seeing a skunk come through the door or a rattler...and after a squirrell got into my friends' home and tore it to shredsI want  someone on sentry duty at all times...my dogs weigh in at 110 & 115 and then need a people door...they get stuck with any critter door.

Last edited on 3/23/2010

Last edited on 3/23/2010

mm12061269405769.343416 PostsRegistered 11/16/2009

We had a doggy door for about 3 months, until we found 2 possums and a few rats in our house.  We could not find any other way that they got in.  After we removed the door we did not have any problems. 

NeNe10101269618301.71615 PostsRegistered 4/15/2008Central Indiana

WE have used dog doors for about 30 yrs now. We had Westies previously and now a Havanese. We live in a small rural town but have never had anything but our dogs come thru it. You have to teach the dog to use it as to them is looks like a solid surface and maybe that is why no other creature have come in. I would not be without one. It would take a brave burgler to come thru a dog door not knowing what was on the other side.           

Be who you are. Say what you feel. Those who mind dont matter. Those who matter dont mind. Dr. Seuss

TexasMom11269661921.573433 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Thank you everybody! We are still pondering the decision. I really appreciate your responses and taking the time to reply. 

Page 1 of 1