Shoes & Handbags Offers
117 Members and 11929 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Best toys for cats

Started 1343837639.87 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1345380124.93 by violann

What toys do your fur babies go crazy for? My cats LOVE ping pong balls but would like to get them something different. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 1
Keli131343840451.4977516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006

My cats mostly like household items used as toys like spare or old shoelaces, soda bottle-caps, plastic milk gallon twisties, pen caps and crushed cigarette packs tossed across the room as a ball. My boy Arnie will fetch them and bring them right back, dropping them into my lap so I'll throw them again for him. He loves the crinkly noise. He's a plastic/cellophane freak! He loves to chew QVC bags too.

Another different "toy" I give my male cat Arnie is I let a few flies in the house once in a while for him to catch and eat. The flies never last long and it's good exercise for him. Bugs never last long in this house!

Of the store bought toys, both my kitties love most any toy on a wand, especially the "Cat Dancer". The Cat Dancer keeps them entertained for hours. The only other store bought toy they really love would be those small realistic mice with the fur on them. They love to carry those around and cry out like they've caught real prey.

I also grow catnip outside for them.

It seems every cat who's owned me has had it's own personal toy preference. My kitty Molly who passed last year, used to love those fake mice and sparkly balls.

Wand toys and toys like the Cat Dancer are the most interactive but many times cats will drag them around the house to play alone too.

FelineFan1343869116.936 PostsRegistered 7/31/2012

ITA re: the "Cat Dancer", but would like to add "Da Bird" (another interactive toy) to the list of stuff that makes cats wacky.

Also, anything stuffed with catnip.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Pinkroses1343869972.971285 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN

My new kitten loves SRUNCHIES. I got a set of 5 hair accessories for her, after I found out she likes to play with them. She plays for a long time.

From iPad Air

Rooney11343870034.0975817 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

Small balls (golf), those little plastic cups that are on the top of cold type medicine bottles, small stuffed animals, (any jewelery I forget to put away... {#emotions_dlg.lol} - or any small object I forget to put away...), crinkled copy/Xerox paper, hair ties (with out the metel), scrunchies, etc......

Any thing I have ever purchases as a specific cat toy goes unplayed with...

Last edited on 8/1/2012

Last edited on 8/1/2012

Rooney11343870107.215817 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona
oops - double post!

Last edited on 8/1/2012

Last edited on 8/1/2012

Smurfette1343870943.2132195 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight

All my cats have their favorites...it very individualized! One of my cats loves "Skitter Critters." They are small catnip-filled mice purchased from the store. She hides them all over the house. I find them in odd places. My cat hold the 'skitter' between her paws and licks it and rubs it on her face...I think it is the cutest thing ever!

My other cat loves (and I mean seriously LOVES) coffee stirers and straws. He bats them around the house and stashes them under rugs.

To give them additional exercise, I play with them each night with toys on sticks/strings (to simulate prey) or a laser.

Have fun exploring toys...you mentioned the ping pong balls...I put mine in the tub. The cats go wild in there as it is a closed unit and the balls do not get lost as easily.

Maggie Nol­ia1343871400.65314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

a paper bag -- lay it on its side on the floor

a box

the cardboard roll that toilet paper comes on

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

KailaS1343877159.647631 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My male cat (and several females before him) loves the cat dancer. He drags it to me.

He also is fond of the little laser light toy. (It looks like a tiny flashlight. I can set in my chair and flash it all over the rug and up the walls. I choose NOT to exercise with him. LOL)

aubnwa011343891744.576823 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

My kitty loves the feather on a fishing pole toy I have & she also has 5 of these spikyballs that I got for her. Whenever I go anywhere, when I come home, I find them in my bedroom or closet! She picks them up & brings them into my room to play!

Smile

ETA: Another favorite toy is the plastic ring off of mayonnaise jars! She hauls them to me & drops it so I can throw it for her! I think she's part dog & likes to play fetch!

Last edited on 8/2/2012

Last edited on 8/2/2012

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

ID21343903408.2732159 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012

I buy the ping pong looking balls that have holes in them. I guess they are for golf practice? My kitties bat these things all over the house! When I clean I find them all under the chairs and couches! {#emotions_dlg.scared} They carry them in their mouth meowing! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I don't know what it is about these balls but they always walk around meowing with one in their mouth! So cute! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Love my "Pure Michigan"

Rooney11343959350.0435817 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona
On 8/1/2012 Smurfette said:

All my cats have their favorites...it very individualized! One of my cats loves "Skitter Critters." They are small catnip-filled mice purchased from the store. She hides them all over the house. I find them in odd places. My cat hold the 'skitter' between her paws and licks it and rubs it on her face...I think it is the cutest thing ever!

My other cat loves (and I mean seriously LOVES) coffee stirers and straws. He bats them around the house and stashes them under rugs.

To give them additional exercise, I play with them each night with toys on sticks/strings (to simulate prey) or a laser.

Have fun exploring toys...you mentioned the ping pong balls...I put mine in the tub. The cats go wild in there as it is a closed unit and the balls do not get lost as easily.

I forgot about the straws... And, the hiding everything under the rugs - or hiding them in my bed... I often find little treasures under the covers when I go to bed - including grasshoppers and crickets... {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Rooney11343959511.0775817 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona
On 8/2/2012 ID2 said:

I buy the ping pong looking balls that have holes in them. I guess they are for golf practice? My kitties bat these things all over the house! When I clean I find them all under the chairs and couches! {#emotions_dlg.scared} They carry them in their mouth meowing! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I don't know what it is about these balls but they always walk around meowing with one in their mouth! So cute! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

My Cora use to do that with the golf balls. To this day I do not know how she was able to get it in her mouth... {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

goldenretr­iever1344182811.115739 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...

You'll need to participate, but "Da Bird" makes cats go crazy!

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

puglet1344388532.0832153 PostsRegistered 9/3/2011

Tinfoil balls.

Also, my cat likes to watch things disappear under other things. For example, if you have a small towel on the bed and pass a shoelace or straw underneath very slowly until the end of it is just peeking out from the towel. My cat loves to pounce on the ends. You can also do this under a newspaper on the floor.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~ Anatole France

violann1344389433.24312382 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Our routine- I get up in the morning and make DH a cup of Lipton tea. The tea bag comes in a little crackly paper packet. I take the packet and wad it into a tiny ball Buddie is watching me intently at all times. i then say "Wrappie? Want this wrappie, Bud?" The tension is at fever pitch. Finally, I throw the wrappie into one of the corners in the kitchen, with Buddie in hot pursuit. Upon seizing the wrappie, Buddie takes it to one of his toy corners and hides it with the rest of his toys. If no one in your house drinks tea, just buy a box of Lipton Wrappies and throw the tea bags away. Buddie also LOVES gift bags and paper grocery bags, little toy mice, yarn dolls, plastic seals off sealed jars and frozen items and other cat stuff. HINT- fancy tea bags do not necessarily yield the best wrappies. Lipton really is the best.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

dklcat51345250527.17744 PostsRegistered 8/11/2012Central IL

Son's cat, milk jug rings, she loves to fetch. i find them under every closet door in the house.

My 5 kittens, an item by the Da Bird group, Go cat, a stick with tiny cable attached and a mouse on the end of the wire. i tire sooner than them. only drawback, they run about $10 and the wire is wrapped tightly but comes undone after a while. the mouse has held up great. they stalk it and when they catch it try to carry it off to eat it :) such fun. I found on amazon and at petco. also they love the turbo scratch pad chaser with light up ball.

I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite....Buddy the Elf

GinaV241345251367.0974447 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

Mine love da bird and as you say various household items. I don't like them to chew on plastic bags but man if there's one around, they want it.

I also have bought the fake mice - many of them, they keep hiding them somewhere that I can't seem to find. I keep thinking I'll find them all when I clean, but they are gone!

I agree that bugs that have gotten in are entertainment galore for them.

luvmyteddy1345256721.968396 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

Milk gallon rings, boxes, bags and my hair bands. He loves rubber bands but he will eat those. I moved my sofa, stove and frig once and found about 50 hair bands. I wondered where they all went.

amartinezf­an1345342301.9639627 PostsRegistered 12/1/2006Sunny San Diego

The Feline Fisher:

The amazing FelineFisher is a cat “tease” toy based on the original Galkie Kitty Tease, the award-winning cat “tease” toy that made cat toy history! The original Galkie Kitty Tease was voted by readers of Cat Fancy magazine as “The Best Cat Toy in the Last 30-Years.” Also winner of the Cat Fancy “Hall of Fame” award, the Kitty Tease was a cat toy like no other. With the Kitty Tease out of production for the past several years, I am honored to be the exclusive manufacturer of the FelineFisher?the next generation of the original kitty “tease” toy. The FelineFisher is a near duplicate of the original Kitty Tease with each one personally handmade by me in my little shop in the beautiful Pacific Northwest to the exact specifications and quality standards of the original Kitty Tease.

violann1345380124.9312382 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Buddie also loves the iPad cat games, especially the fishing game.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Page 1 of 1