TSV(R) Preview
53 Members and 11080 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

My cat's one eye keeps tearing -- please help

Started 1337116948.553 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1337660419.657 by 57babe
replies

There is no colored discharge. It's clear and I was able to corner her in the bathroom to use a pet wipe to wipe around her eyes and face. Have any of you ever encountered this before? She is mad at me right now for wiping her eye and runs away.

Page 1 of 1
Sammycat11337117425.5839659 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

It's a good idea to see a vet. Our cat has had this problem, and it can be due to allergies/sinus issues, a scratch, something getting in the eye, a tooth or mouth problem, etc. -- the causes are varied. It's good that it's a clear discharge, but all the same, it should be looked at to be sure what you're dealing with and get the appropriate treatment.

One one occasion, he had a tooth problem, and that was the only signal that something had gone wrong. Other times (particularly in the spring when our windows are open, occasionally), pollen bothers him. For that, the vet gave us eye drops that clears up the problem quickly.

ETA: Often people will try OTC drops, but without knowing the problem, you may only make something worse. Best to know what's afoot in particular. Good luck!

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Last edited on 5/15/2012

KatCat11337118567.6716941 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011
On 5/15/2012 Sammycat1 said:

It's a good idea to see a vet. Our cat has had this problem, and it can be due to allergies/sinus issues, a scratch, something getting in the eye, a tooth or mouth problem, etc. -- the causes are varied. It's good that it's a clear discharge, but all the same, it should be looked at to be sure what you're dealing with and get the appropriate treatment.

One one occasion, he had a tooth problem, and that was the only signal that something had gone wrong. Other times (particularly in the spring when our windows are open, occasionally), pollen bothers him. For that, the vet gave us eye drops that clears up the problem quickly.

ETA: Often people will try OTC drops, but without knowing the problem, you may only make something worse. Best to know what's afoot in particular. Good luck!

Last edited on 5/15/2012

I'll take Ava to the vet tomorrow. She hates eye drops. It's a real challenge for me. Thank you.

57babe1337121162.4738638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

It could be conjuntivitis from a viral infection. It's a good thing you are taking her to the vet.

My vet showed me how to put the medication in my cats eyes. He just pulled the outside corner of her eye down a bit and put a tiny amount of the salve in it. I went home and put my cat in the corner of my room where she couldn't back up and put the medicine in here eye exactly how he showed me to do and that worked perfectly.

It was much easier for me to put the medicine in the outside corner of her eye rather than in the inside corner of the eye or middle of the eye.

Well, if you have to put medicine in her eye, try doing it like this and it might help.

Take care. :)

KatCat11337200920.65316941 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Ava is back from the vet. Her eye was stained to be see if she had a scratch. No scratches. Her eye was actually better today so she may have had something in it but the vet told me to watch it for any signs of tearing. It could be a clogged tear duct. She had her exam and shots and she never made a sound in the car or at the vet. Then Ava went to Walgreens with me. When she got home, she started cleaning herself and then started eating. Back to normal.

Sammycat11337214196.279659 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

Glad to hear that Ava didn't seem to have serious problems. A friend's cat had a blocked tear duct once; if I recall correctly, they had to flush it out but she was fine in no time.

57babe1337217351.358638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010
On 5/16/2012 KatCat1 said:

Ava is back from the vet. Her eye was stained to be see if she had a scratch. No scratches. Her eye was actually better today so she may have had something in it but the vet told me to watch it for any signs of tearing. It could be a clogged tear duct. She had her exam and shots and she never made a sound in the car or at the vet. Then Ava went to Walgreens with me. When she got home, she started cleaning herself and then started eating. Back to normal.

Good to hear that your Ava is doing fine!

Thanks for the update, we always want to know how things turn out, especially when it's good news!

Take good care. :)

KatCat11337654874.63316941 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011
On 5/16/2012 Sammycat1 said:

Glad to hear that Ava didn't seem to have serious problems. A friend's cat had a blocked tear duct once; if I recall correctly, they had to flush it out but she was fine in no time.

Well, it's not over. The eye is not tearing like it was but she still squints. I pray that she doesn't need surgery. I started giving her Newton's eye care which is given orally. It's homepathic medicine that is approved by the FDA. I want to see if this gives any results. It's easier to give her this orally than placing something in her eye. She actually will hide from me. She hates anything in her eyes. I will give this Newton's at least 5 to 7 days. If I don't see results, she will have to go back to the vet. I worry about her. She is eating, drinking her water and playing.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.

57babe1337660419.6578638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010
On 5/21/2012 KatCat1 said:
On 5/16/2012 Sammycat1 said:

Well, it's not over. The eye is not tearing like it was but she still squints. I pray that she doesn't need surgery. I started giving her Newton's eye care which is given orally. It's homepathic medicine that is approved by the FDA. I want to see if this gives any results. It's easier to give her this orally than placing something in her eye. She actually will hide from me. She hates anything in her eyes. I will give this Newton's at least 5 to 7 days. If I don't see results, she will have to go back to the vet. I worry about her. She is eating, drinking her water and playing.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.

Did your vet treat her for conjunctivitis?

Has her teeth been checked recently? Sometimes conjuntivitis infections can be caused by tooth decay.

Is she a Persian by any chance? Persians have issues with tear ducts and tearing.

Also, have you introduced something new into your household that she might be allergic to? I know some cats have a reaction to the flea preventatives too because they lick it off themselves. My sister's cat had a terrible allergic reaction to Frontline Flea preventative.

Well, those are some of the things that come to mind. Just thought I'd mention some of this stuff to you. I hope you find out what the problem is and that kitty's eye gets better soon.

Take care. :)

Page 1 of 1