Occasional Contributor

Cushing's disease - my daschund...

We've been carefully watching Pandy, my 11 year old daschund. A few months ago she needed work on her teeth and routine blood work came out with high liver enzymes - I forget the darn initials. The repeat test last night showed she has continued elevated enzymes and they suspect Cushings. I have noticed she is drinking a TON of water (she's 12 pounds) and can't wait to pee outside so I have pads everywhere. She is peeing copious amounts. No hair loss or other symptoms, tho her cognitive functioning seems off...

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this illness with dogs? I forget about this Pet Lovers Column, so this is a rare appearance here for me, but I don't know who else to ask. Internet surfing is freaking me out - I need someone to tell me what to expect and what meds to use and avoid. My wonderful vet (same one for over 20 years with my doggies) is searching around pharmacies in the area for selegiline as that (she claims) is the first step along with milk thistle, which we are already giving her. I'll be speaking with her later today.

Any suggestions? The only thing we're bothered by of course is the peeing in the house - even the pads are messy and stinky, and of course I have to work. We're keeping her in one room with a baby gate but the other dog (border collie) will have the run of the house still so not sure how this will work.

Help! I'm beside myself, but I'm willing to try anything. Sorry this is so long, I am just so upset and have no one to talk to about this right now.....