Meant for Mom(SM)
96 Members and 9060 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Scoopable Kitty Litter that doesn't create a lot of dust....

Started 1333448709.84 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1333803137.5 by pelleld

I'm looking for a scoopable kitty litter that doesn't create a cloud of dust when the cats use it or when I'm scooping out their "treasures". It seems every one I try, no matter how carefully I scoop, creates a cloud of dust. Does anyone have a brand they use that doesn't do this? TIA!

Page 1 of 1
gardenman1333453860.0315929 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I find that it varies from box to box. I'll occasionally get a box that's super dusty for some reason and then the next box of the same brand will be nearly dustfree. My best guess is that it has something to do with how much the litter has been jostled during transport. The granules rub against one another in the container creating fine dust and the more the box is moved/agitated during transport the more the granules will have rubbed against one another creating more dust. I'm guessing that some boxes spend more time in transit or get handled more roughly creating the differences we see.

I don't think there can be a dust-free version of scoopable litter simply because of how the litter is made. If you want to minimize the dustiness then pour the kitty litter from the shipping container into another container outside on a windy day (letting the dust blow off as you pour it) and then handle it gently. That should eliminate the dust created in the shipping process and minimze the dust allowed into the house. If you don't have a windy day, then set up a fan outside and pour the litter from one container to another in front of the fan blowing off the dust as you pour. If you repeat that a few times you might end up with a relatively dust-free product. I can't guarantee how well it will clump, but it should be relatively dust-free.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

ok4ablonde21333456213.8878837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Dr. Elsey Precious Cat Ultra - it comes in a blue bag either 40 lbs. or 18 lbs. It's hypoallergenic and 99.9% dust-free. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but they did offer a full rebate on your first bag. www.preciouscat.com

ETA: Just checked, the rebate is still good (down at the bottom of the page).

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

57babe1333462400.6338638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

So far I haven't found a litter that is completely dust-free. I haven't tried Dr. Elsey Precious Cat Ultra yet. I may try this -- I'm always open to finding better cat care products. :)

I use World's Best Cat Litter. It seems to have less dust than any other litter I have used. It is made from corn, has an organic smell, clumps excellent and doesn't leave muck in the corners of the cat litter pan. All kitty paws stay clean too. I really like it.

I think the best choice is the one is in the green and black bag. I don't care for the scented one in the purple and black bag -- it is much too potent of a fragrance. And the one in the red and black bag has too strong an organic smell.

Anyway try World's Best in the green and black bag. Add a little at a time to your current brand litter so cat's can get used to it gradually.

Hope this helps. :)

57babe1333462570.5778638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010
On 4/3/2012 gardenman said:

I find that it varies from box to box. I'll occasionally get a box that's super dusty for some reason and then the next box of the same brand will be nearly dustfree. My best guess is that it has something to do with how much the litter has been jostled during transport. The granules rub against one another in the container creating fine dust and the more the box is moved/agitated during transport the more the granules will have rubbed against one another creating more dust. I'm guessing that some boxes spend more time in transit or get handled more roughly creating the differences we see.

I don't think there can be a dust-free version of scoopable litter simply because of how the litter is made. If you want to minimize the dustiness then pour the kitty litter from the shipping container into another container outside on a windy day (letting the dust blow off as you pour it) and then handle it gently. That should eliminate the dust created in the shipping process and minimze the dust allowed into the house. If you don't have a windy day, then set up a fan outside and pour the litter from one container to another in front of the fan blowing off the dust as you pour. If you repeat that a few times you might end up with a relatively dust-free product. I can't guarantee how well it will clump, but it should be relatively dust-free.

This is an excellent suggestion to minimize the amount of dust in the litter. Thanks! :)

lynne6was71333464307.77361 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006

World's Best Cat Litter (green & black bag) - paws down! It's made from corn. I adopted a cat with asthma and inquired on this board and World's Best was recommended by many. I love it! Wish I had found it years ago. It clumps very well too.

pelleld1333495698.11724 PostsRegistered 11/15/2004

Thanks! I will be checking out these choices at Petsmart this week. Also may try shaking the dust loose outside.....good idea!

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1333619410.7031588 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
World's Best Cat Litter in the green and black bag. It is not only extremely low in dust, it is also healthier for your cat. My cat has bad allergies, and because of the dust from her litter, she would constantly get stuffed up. Once I changed to World's Best, her allergy symptoms decreased dramatically. In addition, it is healthier for the kitty's urinary tract. When cats groom and ingest the clumping sand cat litter, it can cause major issues in some kitties. Do not get the Multi-cat red and black bag by World's Best. It is not the same as the green and black bag at all. I hated it.

Lovelyflor­inda1333718214.3873 PostsRegistered 5/16/2011

I have used Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter for several years. It is recommended by Tufts University "Catnip" magazine. It scoops like concrete so I recommend a metal scoop. It is less expensive than World's Best Litter. Also have tried Nature's Miracle..lighter than De. Elsey's but more dust. Blue Buffalo has just come out with crushed walnut scoopable litter. I work at a major pet retailer so tried it. I liked it..but it is very expensive and since I have six cats I can't afford to use it on a regular basis . Hoping price comes down at some point because I do like it

But overall I am sticking with Precious Cat Litter. Less dust, great clumping and averages around $16 for a 40 pound bag which is not much more than the supermarket brands and the plastic bag is easier for me to carry up the stairs than a hard cardboard box.

meezercats1333720267.82725 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Hudson Valley, NY

I use Arm & Hammer Essentials (ORANGE BAG) for my three cats. It's also corn-based and dust free. It clumps well and is lightweight to carry. A 10.5 lb. bag is equal to a 20 lb. bag of clay litterl One of my cats has a chronic sinus problem and cannot tolerate the clay litter at all. He doesn't have a problem with this litter.

pelleld1333803137.5724 PostsRegistered 11/15/2004

I am happy to report that both World's Best and Precious are virtually dust free! I started with the World's Best, which has a different texture than what my cats are used to. I have one who is a little fuss pot and doesn't like change, so I mixed it with the Precious, which is more like traditional scoopable litter. All 3 are now using the box with the new litters and Mom is happy that there is no dust. Thanks so much for the great advice!

Page 1 of 1