Give Gorgeous
36 Members and 11986 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Top Ten Reasons NOT to Declaw a Cat

Started 1326261264.39 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1326764690.64 by Issiestorm

To me there is only one reason. It's cruel and inhumane to amputate a cat's toes (because that's what happens - it's not just the claw that is removed). But thought I would share this article.

http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/tp/reasonsnot.htm

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

Page 1 of 2
k9pia1326301589.2071391 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007

thanks for the article - all very valid points, and something to thing about if you are considering declawing.

I've been a huge promoter of NOT declawing since I got my first "on my own" cat 30 years ago. As a teenager, my family had a feral live in our garage that had kittens. We brought the kittens in, and kept a couple and the others were adopted out. My family had our cats declawed - that's what they thought was right, and I think it was pretty popular then (70's). My first cat after I was married, an abyssinian male named Rameses, I left his claws intact. People thought I was nuts! It was at that point, that I began to become interested in animals, behavior, breeds, etc, and started reading all sorts of books on animal health. I learned that a declaw is NOT just cutting the nail all the way back, or even removing JUST the nail - it's amputation of the joints of the toe. Incredibly horrible and painful to even think of. I've had 5 cats since Rameses, and NONE have been declawed. I've very faithful about every other week, taking them one at a time into the bathroom, and having a toe-clipping session. Just takes a few minutes. It works well, if you start them as kittens, but I won't lie - no one really cares for it, lol. I get LOTS of moaning and groaning from each cat, but it gets done. I also have numerous cat trees and scratching posts thru-out the house to use. Declawing is just something I would never do.

Pets are blessings in fur.

fbm2lsm1326301934.4172599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

I had no idea that part of heir toes were cut off{#emotions_dlg.mad}. Thanks for the article.

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

Clover291326302338.42710678 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I don't see why declawing would even be considered useful if everyone clipped their cats' claws. I absolutely would not declaw, but I didn't clip either until recently. I was amazed at the difference it made, I no longer get scratches when I play with my kitten (who gets a bit over-enthusiastic when pouncing).

She squirms a great deal, and complains, but she's getting used to it and it's totally worth the effort.

chickenbutt1326302723.7924318 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Sadly, it seems that a lot of people who value their furniture over the health of their cats somehow find a way to rationalize doing this anyway. I cannot tell you how many people I've explained this to and all I got was an empty stare like 'so what. I don't want my furniture clawed'. Sad how some humans consider animals to just be 'things' or 'belongings' without feelings.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

violann1326312829.2712758 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
We live in a house that has a perfect set-up for cats, and although I sometimes think about moving, I have yet to find a house where my cats would be as happy, so we will stay here! I hope if DH decides to move he'll drop in and visit once in a while.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

cinebee1326322513.8676539 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

I have trimmed my two cats' claws since they were babies. It's not their favorite activity but they tolerate it very well. It absolutely horrifies me to think about how many vets still declaw cats for the profit.

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

violann1326325116.0712758 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Polly has a total of 28 toes, and she's a genuine misery to manicure. I guess she always will be. Needless to say, her whole foot would have been mutilated if we'd ever considered declawing her.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

ChynaGirl1326326128.1133895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

It's such a barbaric practice, and I don't understand why it's not illegal in the U.S. In this day and age, I'm surprised that people would voluntarily pay someone to torture their animal that they call 'pet' or 'family member'. If a person intends to dismember a cat before they bring that animal into their home, they shouldn't have one.

Clover291326326371.6510678 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008
On 1/11/2012 violann said: Polly has a total of 28 toes, and she's a genuine misery to manicure. I guess she always will be. Needless to say, her whole foot would have been mutilated if we'd ever considered declawing her.

I think you're a hero for taking on that special challenge, and I think Polly is a totally awesome name for your cat Smile

QsZoo1326328417.022248 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I couldn't open the link because I know how horrific this is. My vet will not do this either.

Thank you for posting this for people that might EVER consider this. Hopefully this will change some opinions.

cinebee1326330076.86539 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

<h3 class="dsc" style="font-family: inherit; font-size: 12px; font-style: inherit; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 12px; text-decoration: inherit; color: inherit; background-image: url('http://0.tqn.com/f/bl/dsc.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 0.25em; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; margin: 0px;"> Declawing is Painful Surgery</h3> Think of it as 10 amputations (if only the front feet are declawed). Pain meds may help initially, but phantom pain may last for weeks or months, as nerve endings heal. Dr. Nicholas Dodman describes the pain following surgery: "Unlike routine recoveries, including recovery from neutering surgeries, which are fairly peaceful, declawing surgery results in cats bouncing off the walls of the recovery cage because of excruciating pain."

-Alfred A. Montapert

BlueCollar­Babe1326386095.10310911 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

I think you'd have a difficult time finding a vet to do it nowadays. They try to work with you to avoid it. Our vet will trim your cat's claws for $10 if you're not able to do it yourself. We trim our cats' claws but it's a two person job, for sure!

Another big help is teaching them to use a scratching post from the time they're kittens. We did and never have they scratched or torn anything. Good kitties! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326472164.2532740 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

This is one of those topics people are VERY strongly for one way or another (like LOTS of topics in general)!!! Same to me as docking tails or ears which breeders do for certain dogs. I don't agree with that personally, but if it's done in a sterile environment by a professional and there are pain meds used, it's their perrogative.

I've always declawed my cats (front claws only) and get it done usually when I have them spayed/neutered. This is done by my vet. Is that a 'horrible' thing as well because I have their private parts altered/removed because I don't want to populate the already overpopulated pet population in this country? I think NOT! They come home w/meds and I use paper shredded litter boxes for 3 weeks after. Not ONE cat has ever had 'issues' after this procedure so far that I've owned.

You can call me all kinds of names and to be completely honest I DO NOT CARE nor will it change what I do. ANYONE who knows me knows I am an animal OBSESSED person and love my animals and treat them better than anything else I own (besides myself). ALL of my cats (I have 4) are also from abused/neglected/living on the streets environments, and I've given them a MOST pampered (indoor only) life!! {#emotions_dlg.wub} So in MY mind (and for that fact EVERYONE who knows me and my cats), they're not living any type of 'tortured' life! Quite the contrary...they have a better life than a lot of human beings do!! And I don't regret spending one single penny on their lavish life or getting them declawed and spayed/neutered!

k9pia1326472900.0071391 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007
On 1/13/2012 sometimesQVCjunkie said:

This is one of those topics people are VERY strongly for one way or another (like LOTS of topics in general)!!! Same to me as docking tails or ears which breeders do for certain dogs. I don't agree with that personally, but if it's done in a sterile environment by a professional and there are pain meds used, it's their perrogative.

I've always declawed my cats (front claws only) and get it done usually when I have them spayed/neutered. This is done by my vet. Is that a 'horrible' thing as well because I have their private parts altered/removed because I don't want to populate the already overpopulated pet population in this country? I think NOT! They come home w/meds and I use paper shredded litter boxes for 3 weeks after. Not ONE cat has ever had 'issues' after this procedure so far that I've owned.

You can call me all kinds of names and to be completely honest I DO NOT CARE nor will it change what I do. ANYONE who knows me knows I am an animal OBSESSED person and love my animals and treat them better than anything else I own (besides myself). ALL of my cats (I have 4) are also from abused/neglected/living on the streets environments, and I've given them a MOST pampered (indoor only) life!! {#emotions_dlg.wub} So in MY mind (and for that fact EVERYONE who knows me and my cats), they're not living any type of 'tortured' life! Quite the contrary...they have a better life than a lot of human beings do!! And I don't regret spending one single penny on their lavish life or getting them declawed and spayed/neutered!

SometimesQVCJunkie,

Like I mentioned before, when I was growing up, my family always had our cats front paws declawed. They all handled it ok. (One took a bit longer, she had been an outdoor feral prior to us taking her indoors, maybe that had something to do with it - her using her claws more). Don't worry, I won't judge you, lol. Everyone has to make their own decisions. Just knowing what is actually done, amputating the last couple of joints, made me choose to NOT declaw. (I look at my fingers as I type this, and I suppose I'd do just fine if you took off the ends of my fingers - I'd get by ok). There's just so much more knowledge available today with the internet, people can learn more, and then make decisions. I, for one, would never think you loved your cats less - you just made a different choice.

Pets are blessings in fur.

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326474716.5332740 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 1/13/2012 k9pia said:

SometimesQVCJunkie,

Like I mentioned before, when I was growing up, my family always had our cats front paws declawed. They all handled it ok. (One took a bit longer, she had been an outdoor feral prior to us taking her indoors, maybe that had something to do with it - her using her claws more). Don't worry, I won't judge you, lol. Everyone has to make their own decisions. Just knowing what is actually done, amputating the last couple of joints, made me choose to NOT declaw. (I look at my fingers as I type this, and I suppose I'd do just fine if you took off the ends of my fingers - I'd get by ok). There's just so much more knowledge available today with the internet, people can learn more, and then make decisions. I, for one, would never think you loved your cats less - you just made a different choice.

Thanks. I have read what's online and consider myself 'pretty informed'. This is still my decision for personal reasons. And I have that perrogative!

I just do not appreciate when people say that anyone who has this done must not love their cats or are being 'inhumane' when that is the FARTHEST thing from the truth in my case personally!!! Trust-if they even sneeze, I'm on the phone w/the vet scheduling a visit to bring them in! lol

ChynaGirl1326481125.773895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
On 1/13/2012 k9pia said:

SometimesQVCJunkie,

Thanks. I have read what's online and consider myself 'pretty informed'. This is still my decision for personal reasons. And I have that perrogative!

I just do not appreciate when people say that anyone who has this done must not love their cats or are being 'inhumane' when that is the FARTHEST thing from the truth in my case personally!!! Trust-if they even sneeze, I'm on the phone w/the vet scheduling a visit to bring them in! lol

'Love' is not torturing an animal, regardless of any personal reason. Anyone who intentionally maims a cat by inhumanely declawing should receive a very stiff fine and never be able to have another cat again.

ChynaGirl1326481229.9673895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

Animal abuser. You should not be allowed to have them.

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326482431.0772740 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 1/13/2012 ChynaGirl said:

Go ahead and report me to the animal control! I triple dog dare ya'! {#emotions_dlg.lol} Let people make their OWN PERSONAL HUMANE decisions in regards to their OWN animals. Go ahead and report me for getting my animals fixed too, because I'm altering what god gave my pets to control animal population. And while you're at it, you can report my vet and all their employees too because they did the surgery in a sterile controlled pain free environment.

While we're at it, I'll just let my animals go back to the ABUSED environments they came from, because that's obviously MUCH better than getting treats 5+ times a day, having 10 beds to rest in, having complete run of my home, getting the BEST food I can give them, having TONS of toys and activities to entertain them, and TONS of attention...yeah, I'm really 'abusing' my cats. Please.

Get over yourself and take it down a notch! Invest some of your 'anger issues' where it really matters.

ChynaGirl1326483928.763895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

Go ahead and report me to the animal control! I triple dog dare ya'! {#emotions_dlg.lol} Let people make their OWN PERSONAL HUMANE decisions in regards to their OWN animals. Go ahead and report me for getting my animals fixed too, because I'm altering what god gave my pets to control animal population. And while you're at it, you can report my vet and all their employees too because they did the surgery in a sterile controlled pain free environment.

While we're at it, I'll just let my animals go back to the ABUSED environments they came from, because that's obviously MUCH better than getting treats 5+ times a day, having 10 beds to rest in, having complete run of my home, getting the BEST food I can give them, having TONS of toys and activities to entertain them, and TONS of attention...yeah, I'm really 'abusing' my cats. Please.

Get over yourself and take it down a notch! Invest some of your 'anger issues' where it really matters.

Not even going to bother reading your post, because I just know it's going to another diatribe of excuses.

The fact remains, you tortured an animal. Anything after that is just blah blah blah.

You are an animal abuser. And until someone removes YOUR fingers, you can't say what a lovely life you've given to the abused animal unfortunate enough to live with you.

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1326487211.4132740 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

Not even going to bother reading your post, because I just know it's going to another diatribe of excuses.

The fact remains, you tortured an animal. Anything after that is just blah blah blah.

You are an animal abuser. And until someone removes YOUR fingers, you can't say what a lovely life you've given to the abused animal unfortunate enough to live with you.

If I'm an 'abuser' and 'tortured' my animals, than why am I not in jail? Hmmm....guess because I did NOT do anything illegal! Again, you need to THINK before you write nonsense statements. I'm making NO excuse for what I did, never did, and see NO reason to. It's MY perrogative to do what I (and millions of others) do that is COMPLETELY SAFE for my animals. And I'll stand UP for my opinions till the cows come home!

And again, irregardless of what you (or anyone else who feels like you do) say, I'll continue to do what I do. You can't stop me NOR can you stop me from owning pets. Again, as stated before, just get over yourself!

You can agree or not agree with my statements. That's your perrogative. And I can state MY own opinions as well. It's a PERSONAL DECISION for each pet owner.

Obviously you feel passionate about your beliefs, and I feel passionate about MY beliefs. Let's leave it at that and call it a day. Enough said. I see no point to further respond to crazy.

Moonlady1326487377.81314586 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY

If I were a vet, I'd refuse to declaw a cat for any reason other than a medical one, and you can be sure there'd be a sign in the window to that effect. Also, the thought of a declawed cat getting outside (and they do--just read the lost and found section) and being unable to escape a predator by climbing a tree, or hunting for food (not to mention being unable to scratch itself) is a sad one.

We've had cats, and there isn't one that wasn't able to be trained NOT to scratch the furniture. Unfortunately, some pet owners are lazy and don't want to take the time to train them. As usual, it's the animal that suffers.

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

JLLH3581326492288.885032 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Cinebee, people find all kinds of ways to rationalize and excuse what they want to do - including the gem "It may not be right for you, but it's right for me" - a mantra which is so popular these days. There is no excuse - and trying the old equivalency argument with spaying and neutering does not work either because one is clearly for the health of the animal and that case cannot be made for declawing, ear docking or any of the other deplorable things people do to animals in the name of "personal prerogative". It's virtually impossible to imagine one thinking that this kind of voluntary maiming of one's animal for pure convenience and without any benefit to the animal can be justified once one knows what is involved. One TRULY has to be in a state of denial over the process!! One day it WILL be illegal here -- as it already is in many parts of Europe. Just because the law here hasn't caught up with science and what is now known about the procedure (and the fact that it alters a cat's gait in a deplorable and unnatural fashion) doesn't mean it's right OR Humane -- and anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty will have to admit that.

Last edited on 1/13/2012

Last edited on 1/13/2012

ChynaGirl1326495803.413895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

If I'm an 'abuser' and 'tortured' my animals, than why am I not in jail? Hmmm....guess because I did NOT do anything illegal! Again, you need to THINK before you write nonsense statements. I'm making NO excuse for what I did, never did, and see NO reason to. It's MY perrogative to do what I (and millions of others) do that is COMPLETELY SAFE for my animals. And I'll stand UP for my opinions till the cows come home!

And again, irregardless of what you (or anyone else who feels like you do) say, I'll continue to do what I do. You can't stop me NOR can you stop me from owning pets. Again, as stated before, just get over yourself!

You can agree or not agree with my statements. That's your perrogative. And I can state MY own opinions as well. It's a PERSONAL DECISION for each pet owner.

Obviously you feel passionate about your beliefs, and I feel passionate about MY beliefs. Let's leave it at that and call it a day. Enough said. I see no point to further respond to crazy.

I won't bother reading this post, either. Nothing you say, no excuse you make, will ever make what you did right. Abuse is abuse, and you are an animal abuser.

Again, until you allow someone to amputate your fingers, then we'll talk about how you feel, and what you did, to an innocent animal that trusted you to make the right decisions. Which you didn't. Then we'll see how pain free your environment is. Then we'll see how you live the rest of your life with altered fingers. Then we'll see how unaffected your life is with your forced amputations.

What you feel towards animals is not love. You are a selfish, cruel human being. Every day I sign petitions and donate money because of people like you.

Love is not altering an animal to suit your selfish needs. People like you seriously are disgusting.

~TigerLily~1326510009.723185 PostsRegistered 1/7/2012~between this world and the next~

I think it is horrible to declaw a cat. They lose sensitivity in their paws and if you don't want to put up with a kitty being a kitty, then you shouldn't have one.

Clover291326517574.89710678 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I'd like to ask sometimesQVCjunkie why she can't clip her cats' claws rather than opting for surgery. Is it too much trouble? Is declawing always about the furniture, or is there ever another reason? I've never declawed a cat and never had a cat damage furniture if they are trained to use scratching posts instead (and absolutely not if their claws are trimmed with clippers once a week or so).

Page 1 of 2