Labor Day Weekend Clearance
156 Members and 12691 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Is it possible for a female dog to have a yeast infection?

Started 1308259836.827 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1308335527.08 by Sammycat1
replies

My three year old lab-shep mix has been licking at herself and seems to be really frustrated that she can't satisfy this it_ch. She has always done this off and on, but today she is really getting on my nerves. When I tell her to stop, she does but then she sits here panting and just can't seem to get comfortable. I wonder if it's possible for her to have a yeast infection or something similar to it? She has been spayed since the age of 9 months, so I know it isn't like she is coming into heat.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom before I get on the phone to call my vet? I would like to have some kind of idea what I would be calling to explain.

Thanks, doggie lovers.

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God". ~ Bob Pierce ~ Founder of World Vision

Pray for the USA, Pray for Israel

Page 1 of 1
Sammycat11308260191.3379605 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

It's entirely possible for her to have one -- you need to get her into the vet. Dogs can get them in a number of places: v*ginally, an*lly, ears, skin, etc. Don't yell at her--it's a heck of a horrible feeling! We had a dog many years ago that acquired one and the sensation was horrendous for her--many of these are fungal and can drive the poor dog to distraction.

It's easily treatable however, but depending on the source, it requires either topical and/or oral meds--but you have to get her to the vet ASAP to get her on the way to treatment and recovery.

benzgirl1308260532.7475632 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY
On 6/16/2011 Sammycat1 said:

It's entirely possible for her to have one -- you need to get her into the vet. Dogs can get them in a number of places: v*ginally, an*lly, ears, skin, etc. Don't yell at her--it's a heck of a horrible feeling! We had a dog many years ago that acquired one and the sensation was horrendous for her--many of these are fungal and can drive the poor dog to distraction.

It's easily treatable however, but depending on the source, it requires either topical and/or oral meds--but you have to get her to the vet ASAP to get her on the way to treatment and recovery.

sammycat,

Her's is va ginal and I can tell its making her nuts. I will call my vet right now and see if I can get her in some time tomorrow. Do you know if they usually put them on an antibiotic?

Thanks so much for your reply.

Also, it doesn't bother her all the time, so I wonder if it just flairs up from time to time unless treated?

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Last edited on 6/16/2011

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God". ~ Bob Pierce ~ Founder of World Vision

Sammycat11308277856.3779605 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005
On 6/16/2011 benzgirl said:

sammycat,

Her's is va ginal and I can tell its making her nuts. I will call my vet right now and see if I can get her in some time tomorrow. Do you know if they usually put them on an antibiotic?

Also, it doesn't bother her all the time, so I wonder if it just flairs up from time to time unless treated?

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Hi Benzgirl, it's probably flaring because they can be very stubborn to get rid of, and they really don't go away until you stomp on them...so if you go through 1 course of meds and she's still itching, call your vet and get another course. They'll probably give her an anti-fungal med or anti-fungal antibiotic, depending on what they find. She will feel so much better once her treatment gets going!

Good luck and keep us posted!

benzgirl1308311319.6175632 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY
On 6/16/2011 benzgirl said:

sammycat,

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Hi Benzgirl, it's probably flaring because they can be very stubborn to get rid of, and they really don't go away until you stomp on them...so if you go through 1 course of meds and she's still itching, call your vet and get another course. They'll probably give her an anti-fungal med or anti-fungal antibiotic, depending on what they find. She will feel so much better once her treatment gets going!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks sammycat.

We girls are always there for each other and these threads can be a wonderful area of support. I appreciate your responses and will let you know what course of action her vet decides is appropriate.

With appreciation, Benzie

Reiss19801308313091.578218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.crying} Don't yell at her .... she cannot help it.. It is a very uncomfortable feeling, She is only trying to relieve her discomfort. Perhaps, a visit to the vet... before she gets infected.

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

benzgirl1308327929.1875632 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY
On 6/17/2011 goldengirl56 said:

{#emotions_dlg.crying} Don't yell at her .... she cannot help it.. It is a very uncomfortable feeling, She is only trying to relieve her discomfort. Perhaps, a visit to the vet... before she gets infected.

goldengirl,

I never yell at her. She is very smart, and if I simply direct my attention to her and tell in a normal speaking voice to stop, she will. I just want to make it clear that I treat her like one of my children. Smile

Sammycat11308335527.0579605 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

Benzie, I'm guessing Goldengirl means don't make her stop...it is intensely uncomfortable and if the scratching gives her a little relief, it will help her before her meds kick in. That's why she's panting so badly when you make her stop -- she's really not feeling well physically and it causes her anxiety.

Just FYI because I've been through this before and learned it all the hard way!! Thanks for your kind words too--the ladies of the pet forums especially have been so kind and helpful to me, too. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 1