Weekend Preview
18 Members and 8983 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

My 14 year old cat is throwing up...

Started 1303601184.853 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1305303925.213 by madeinamerica

My Sera was a rescue baby (I adopted her from the Humane Society when she was 6 months old, 14 years ago), and she has always been a nervous Nellie. Everything stresses her out. When she gets super stressed, she'll throw up. It's not hair balls...but seems to be more intact food. We've always tried to keep her environment calm, but trips to the vet's, vacation trips my DH and I go on, are enough to have her vomiting.We even use the pet pheromones diffusers around the house to try and help keep her calm doing this more stressful times.

We moved from MO to OR a year ago, and she traveled via 2 plane trips (no direct flights) in the cabin with us, under the seat in front of me. We had to have her tranqulized for the entire trip. For the most part, for being an old girl, she has done remarkable well in settling in her new home, so there have been a lot more reasons for the stress vomiting, if that's what this is. She'd seen the vet in the past for this, and since her health (other than this) is great, it was no big concern in the past.

Lately, she has been throwing up on a daily basis. We took her to the vet and her xrays show that her kidneys are small and misshapen (apparently normal for her age) and her bronchial tubes are getting thick, so the beginnings of asthma (again, apparently normal for her age), but they could see nothing on the xray like a "mass" and her blood work was all normal and really very good. She's not lost or gained any weight, and in all other ways seems really healthy.

The vet recommended going with a bland diet (baby food) for a couple of days. She never vomited once while on the baby food. Today was the first day we put her back on her dry food and she within an hour threw it up. This afternoon, I tried can food, and she threw that up. Both the dry and the can were Innova brand which the vet recommended. She is now back on the baby food, and the next time I try her cat food, I am to mix just a little bit in with the baby food. If this doesn't work, we're looking at her getting steroid shots to help with the apparent inflamation she must have.

I've come to realize that hopefully part of the problem is she's wolfing down her food, so instead of being putting all day's ration in a bowl...I'm divvying it up in smaller servings on a plate...but that idea didn't help today.

I don't want to make her go through any invasive, heroic testing and treatment, because the stress would be horrendous on her. Have any of your furbabies gone through anything like this, that wasn't related to Inflammatory Bowel Disease or something serious? I'm looking for some helpful, positive stories...as this whole thing is tearing me apart. My husband was wanting us to get away for a few days the end of May, but just the idea of leaving her is too much to think about. With no family up here, and a bad experience with a neighbor who watched her while we went home for our DD's wedding, I just don't feel good about leaving her now.

If I don't respond immediately to any replies, it's because I'm doing a few things around the house and have a couple of errands to run. But I will be checking in periodically for any suggestions or ideas. I really appreciate anything anyone can share that might help.

Edited to add she's an indoor cat...and has never gone outside. This is a single cat household...and I don't see her ever accepting a new "friend".

TIA.

Page 1 of 5
luvmymutt1303601575.847652 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011

Maybe she just has a sensitive tummy. They have cat food for sensitive stomachs that I used to feed to my cats. Maybe that would help.

Sammycat11303601783.0279799 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

Well the last thing you want to do with a senior cat is introduce a new pet--disaster! People always think it will "perk" up the older pet but it usually just stresses them out and they simply don't have the physical capability or stamina to play like a kitten or younger cat.

It could very well be inflammatory bowel disease. We have a cat with the version of it that leads to constipation often (colitis).

Usually cats with IBD don't get injections; they go on a low-dose steroid instead. Make sure the vet gives her prednisolone, not prednisone, as cats metabolize the former very well. It also could be pancreatitis. Both of these diseases are tough to definitively diagnose w/o getting a sample of intestinal tissue--and most vets don't like to do that with a senior cat when they can try either medication, diet or probiotics to help the problem first w/o being invasive.

Probiotics regulate the bacteria in her gut to keep things humming more smoothly. We use Purina Fortiflora for felines -- you can order it w/o a prescription, entirelypets.com has the best prices, but so does amazon.com. You sprinkle it in their food. This stuff was the ONLY thing that worked for us!

In terms of diet, we learned that the best things to feed a cat with this are NOT fish or beef....both are difficult to digest, the beef in particular, because it takes the system longer to break down. Turkey and chicken are best -- and sometimes purchasing food that is grain free is good for sensitive-tummy kitties.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get more helpful responses from the posters here.

madeinamer­ica1303602422.22893 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

Mrs. T, I know that what I'm going to say is controversial, but I guess since my goal is trying to help, I'll say it anyway,

First of all, is your Sera regurgitating or vomiting? There is a difference. Regurgitating is when the food isn't even digested and comes back up almost as soon as it is eaten. Vomiting is digested food.

I just read a book, 'Your Cat, Simple Secrets to a Stronger, Healthier life " by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins. The most important point of the book, to me, is that kibble is very detrimental to the health of cats. It has been literally shoved down their throats by the media and the veterianrians who sell it, making it SEEM as though it is the best choice. In order for dry food to be extruded, it must contain a high percentage of starch, which converts to sugar. Cats digestive systems can not process carbs, and this results in a whole host of problems, including IBD, diabetes, etc. Although Dr. Hodgkins is an advocate of a raw diet (I am not), she said that is not the ONLY way to feed our cats healthy food. She recommends NO dry food, only canned wet (or raw), and I supplement with Cooking Good chicken tenderloins cooked lightly and minced, and sprinkled over their wet food and fed as a treat.

I can only tell you what I have seen with my own two eyes. Our younger cat , who is 12, (Cookie) was regurgitating EVERY day while on Hill's Science diet. Cookie was getting very thin, losing muscle mass, and regurgitating about three or four times per week, even when I took her off of the Hills and put her a on very high quality dry food combined with wet at different feeding times.

Since I have weaned her and Lita (who is 18) off of ALL dry food, the difference is nothing short of remarkable. She is holding down all of her food, no more regurgitating, and her coat looks shiny again. She is gaining muscle mass (probably from the high quality protein in the chicken) and is more alert and playful. I am not saying that this is the answer for Sera, but it surely worked for Cookie.

Like you, we just had a very expensive battery of labs done, along with an abdominal /thoracic x-ray and a fecal culture. All was within normal range, but Cookie was still not doing well.. After reading Dr. Hodgkins book (she devotes her veterinary practice solely to felines) I was convinced that it made sense. I have been doing this regimen for the past three weeks, and the improvement is truly remarkable. I love her and would do anything to help her, and I feel that my having read this book was the answer to our prayers. Good luck.

PS. Cookie and Lita get Petguard, a made in the usa product with no ingredients sourced from China. I feed them the turkey, as it is the most easily digested, other than rabbit or chicken. And yes, I agree with the person who said that fish or beef are not good choices, for any cat, and particularly one with IBD.

Last edited on 4/23/2011

Last edited on 4/23/2011

MrsT1303602762.5832042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

Thank you luvmymutt and Sammycat1 for responding!

The vet recommended the Innova because it's a premium cat food with all of the good stuff and none of the bad, that so many companies use as filler. And in regard to the steroid, initially the vet talked about having the meds put into a paste form, since Sera isn't a good one for "pilling". The shot was a suggestion to get things calmed down quickly. Oh, and all of her food is always chicken...even the baby food she's eating...pure chicken and chicken broth...no veggies or rice.

I like the idea of the probiotics. I'll look into that and discuss with her vet...who unfortunately isn't in the office until Tuesday. And thanks for clearing up the kind of steriod she should be taking, if that's what we end up doing.

I really appreciate you both for responding!!!

MrsT1303603389.1072042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

Thanks madeinamerica. I like your ideas, and I have discussed the raw diet with our vet. She's one who thinks we're not there yet...as salmonella and nutrition are concerns that haven't really been addressed totally. She does believe in the future this will be a viable product line, once more companies come on board...and standards are set.

She wanted Sera on the Innova dry because it's 36% protein...and she hoped the protein would help Sera get the sense of fullness that only protein can give. This is was in regard to Sera possibly wolfing down her food. I noticed that the Innova can food has only 11% min of protein...but every other brand I saw would only claim "up to 10%".

Innova's canned ingredient list is Turkey and Turkey broth, Chicken and Chicken broth as their first 4 ingredients. Up until all this happened, Sera was always on Wellness Adult cat dry food, which was chicken (up to 32% protein, I think). She's never had beef in any of her food.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm learning this is going to take a lot of research on my end and lots of communication with the vet.

madeinamer­ica1303604211.773893 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

Mrs. T, I have loaned the book to ladies at the health food store where I purchased their wet food. (they are all cat Moms) Our vet wants to read it after they are done with it. I surely hope you will have an answer.

The steroids , I hope , will be a short term thing since they compromise the immune system. Dr. Hodgkins does recommend them in cases of needing to get things under control quickly, as you said, but only for short term use and only in the lowest dose that will elicit a positive response. Good luck to you and Sera.

BackktoBru­nette1303604375.5732224 PostsRegistered 10/7/2010a Jersey Girl in PA

What about a daily probiotic complex supplement? They really help our GI and immune systems. Perhaps you could discuss this supplement - in powder form, or a capsule that can be opened - with your vet? Hope to hear a positive update soon.:)

Last edited on 4/23/2011

Last edited on 4/23/2011

MrsT1303604900.772042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

Okay, I just ordered Dr. Hodgkins' book from Amazon. Also, did a quick research on the probiotics, and that seems to be more for pets that suffer from diarrhea..or at least that was what was mentioned it the info. But I'll keep looking into it.

I did also order the L Lysene syringe, as that was previously recommended by her old vet. I had been told that it's a supplement that will help her fight off Herpes symptoms she gets when she's stressed out. I'm figuring with all these new health issues...her system has to be stressed to the max and that it can't hurt.

Apparently like me, my old girl can't take good health for granted now that she's considered "old". I'm 55 and now running into my own little issues, things I never gave a thought to when I was younger. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Thanks, everyone for all your help!!!

Cheryl A S­ophie1303605667.76952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
I second probiotics with another add in -aloe Vera juice. You want plain unflavored juice not the gel. I had a rescue that was very nervous like your kitty, threw up all the time, was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel and on steroids periodically. He was also not a good pilling candidate. An online friend recommended the aloe Vera juice, I was iffy at best, discussed with vet who said had not heard of it with cats hhis exact words 'try it, it couldn't hurt' He stopped throwing up at all in days of starting and thrived, when we ran out guess what restarted? We promptly got more and again no problem. We lost him years later to kidney failure unrelated. He was 13, and did not respond to iv fluids at the vets. Our 17year old kitty's on it now, (the juice) and thriving, we are up to about 6-7cc a day, sometimes twice a day. Her labs showed liver failure/IBD after secondary exposure to tea tree oil, they are now in normal limits just doing trial of cutting her already low prednisone dose down.

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

Cheryl A S­ophie1303605752.28952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
Oh and now wised up, and just mix the juice in with her canned food. Dividing portions also a good idea, keep us posted.Last edited on 4/23/2011

Last edited on 4/23/2011

Spay and Neuter your pet

Keli131303609940.977516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006

I third trying the FortiFlora probiotic powder. You just sprinkle it on her food. It shoud help settle her tummy.

I am also a big advocate of Dr Hodgkins book, "Your Cat, Simple Secrets to a Stronger, Healthier life.

lynne6was71303610880.233375 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006

Since Sera is so easily stressed, I would try the simplest thing first and change her food. My Itsy Bitsy went through a period of vomiting. When one of her check-ups showed kidney levels in the high normal range, the vet suggested a change to a low protein food to help her as she aged. She started eating Royal Canin Modified (canned and dry), and the vomiting cleared up immediately. She lived well for 19 1/2 years. Good luck!

MrsT1303611747.5732042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008
Thank you everyone for the great ideas on things to try. Purrson where do you get your aloe Vera juice? I'll have to look into that. Will continue to research the probiotics, as so many recommend it. Gave Sera her chicken (stage 1) baby food...she was really hungry, after not being able to keep down either the dry or canned cat food from earlier today. The baby food is so bland, it doesn't cause her any trouble...but it's just a temporary measure. I'm really looking forward to getting Dr Hodgkins' book. I would love to be able to get Sera's tummy to settle down in as natural way as possible. Again, thanks to all who responded.

Sammycat11303614354.1879799 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

As I mentioned, we give our cat probiotics and he has constipation - so it's not just for diarrhea...it's to calm the entire digestive system (despite what you read online). Our vet has used it for years for all IBD symptoms with great success.

MarieIG1303614745.7833522 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

My little girl was vomiting so much I though we were going to loose her. After a very expensive trip to the vet, she too had abnormally small kidneys but they really didn't find anything majorly wrong, she started to eat again. We took her home and switched to all canned foods for her. On the few occasions she had dry food (we keep it for the ferals) she started vomiting again. Just sayin . . .

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military/ one law enforcement); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Spunkyspou­ts1303628882.0577198 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

You know we have a cat about 11 years old doing the same exact thing now. I am finding thrown up intact cat food all over. She looks fine though and isnt really acting differently. I di get her some fancy canned cat foods and she wolved em down and they havent been found on the carpet later. I figured at least I knowsome of it sticking, I am just playing it by ear for now, Good Luck...what flavor BB food?

MrsT1303669118.792042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008
Hi angelsareout, if BB is code for baby food, she's eating chicken made with chicken broth, Stage 1 meat, which the vet recommended. Her next feeding, since she's keeping the baby food down, is to mix a little of the canned food in with the baby food, as per Vet's instruction. If she keeps that down, then I'll gradually increase the amount of canned food in with the baby food, until hopefully she'll get to the point where she can keep the canned food down. I'm looking forward to getting Dr Hodgkins' book to see all that she has to say. Happy Easter and Hanukkah, everyone!

Cheryl A S­ophie1303672097.623952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
I find Whole Foods has the smallest option for Aloe Vera Juice, one liter, as it is that lasts for years with giving it 5cc at a time. For Freckles I was learning and corralled him and did it by dropper direct in his mouth, that's what I meant by my second post. Mixing it into Missy's food is stress free for both of us. Happily she regained all her weight, now monitoring to ensure she doesn't gain too much! I was amazed how she likes the dehydrated raw food (chicken) I have been adding to fancy feast. For your kitty I would start adding a cc or 2 to her present baby food, then maybe a tiny bit of cat food added, each step over several days before going to next step, but have found aloe juice works magic for us. Missys again jumping and playing no problem and interested in looking outside. Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Spay and Neuter your pet

Rooney11303673854.5575840 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

My parents have a cat, a rescue of approx 16 with similar symptoms. However, Petuna is a very relaxed cat.

They took her to the vet and after test didn't really find anything. The vet suggested human baby food for a few days, while eventually mixing a bit of wet cat food, chicken or turkey to the baby food for the nutritional value. So far, so good.

If my dad mixed a bit of dry in the mix, Petuna just eats around it. Too funny!!!

madeinamer­ica1303677422.95893 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
On 4/23/2011 MarieIG said:

My little girl was vomiting so much I though we were going to loose her. After a very expensive trip to the vet, she too had abnormally small kidneys but they really didn't find anything majorly wrong, she started to eat again. We took her home and switched to all canned foods for her. On the few occasions she had dry food (we keep it for the ferals) she started vomiting again. Just sayin . . .

Happy Easter to all, human and furry !! (well, humans can be furry, too, I am , before I shave my legs :) Seriously, this is the longest stretch in her entire life that Cookie has not regurgitated or vomited. (since eliminating all kibble). Lita , our 18 yr. old was getting a few pieces of the dry food just as a treat . (when Cookie was in another room). Comically, yesterday, I put a few pieces down in her bowl, Lita walked over to it, sniffed it and walked away.

Mariel, I agree wholeheartedly regarding the benefits of a wet food only diet. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I'd have never believed it. Dr. Hodgkins equates dry kibble for cats to junk food for people. I so wish that I had known about her book YEARS ago, as I do believe that the constant barrage of the dry food has caused inflammation in Cookie's GI system. All that I can do is to pray that the change in her diet and the more than positive outcome that I have seen is not too late to undo some of the damage that was done for the last eleven years of feeding her a mostly dry diet.

If you do use the probiotics simultaneously with changing Sera's diet to wet food only, it's my opinion (and only an opinion, based on common sense) that if she has a positive response, you won't know which change is responsible. I would do either one or the other, but not both at the same time. Just my opinion, again, but you have to do what YOU and your vet thinks is right. Good luck, Mrs. T, and give Sera an extra hug from me.

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

MrsT1303681602.9932042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

madeinamerica posted: If you do use the probiotics simultaneously with changing Sera's diet to wet food only, it's my opinion (and only an opinion, based on common sense) that if she has a positive response, you won't know which change is responsible. I would do either one or the other, but not both at the same time. Just my opinion, again, but you have to do what YOU and your vet thinks is right. Good luck, Mrs. T, and give Sera an extra hug from me.

Hi, madeinamerica. I agree totally about introducing one thing at a time. In my zeal to "heal" her, I don't want to rush into too many things, as #1 she doesn't handle change well, and #2, I want to know how each thing ultimately works on it's own...because the flip side of not knowing what worked...I won't know which thing aggravated her situation, if something doesn't agree with her. So much to learn...

I tried introducing a little of the canned food into the baby food...and she's not seeming too fond of it. She did eat a little, and did keep it down...so baby steps. I just wish we could fast forward to what works for her...all the time. I have to say that if it turns out that we never go back to dry food (and we have never done cheap food with her), it might be the hardest thing for her to adjust to. Where before I'd set out her bowl with about a 1/2 cup of her food and she would graze all day. When she was hungry it was there and when she wasn't, she'd ignore it. Now, because I'm concerned with how little she's eating and how little nutrition she has to be getting, I've been trying to get her to eat a little bit every couple of hours or so. She doesn't seem to be as taken with the baby food (and especially the mixture of baby food and canned food) as she was initially. So even though I think she needs to eat a little something...she's not hungry or ready. So how long can the canned food be set out before danger of it spoiling? 15 mins? 30 mins? More? Less?

I'm going to call the Vet's office tomorrow morning and see if I can get Sera in first thing on Tuesday morning (the Vet is off tomorrow). I want to talk to her about the things I'm finding out from everyone here, as well as things I'm finding out on other sites. I'd really like to find an easy, natural, way of helping Sera without it being too hard on her. I want to discuss the advantages of doing a wet/canned food diet only...and to find out more about using the steroid in the short term...the pros and cons in using it. I feel like I'm more prepared to have an actual discussion now, since I was initially caught offguard with the call I got a week ago regarding what was found on the xrays.

I hope everyone is having a nice day with your families, if that's what your plans are/were. And thanks so much for taking the time to post with ideas or thoughts about this.

madeinamer­ica1303684201.01893 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

Hi, Mrs. T,

If Sera likes the canned food better than the baby food, I'd just stick with the canned food. From what Dr. Hodgkins said, especially with an older cat, it's better to feed smaller amounts more frequently. I know that you feel, at first, that your baby is going to starve. But believe me, once we weaned Cookie off of the dry food, she's doing so much better. It's hard to believe she's the same cat. The problem with grazing is that , number one, the food is not properly utilized (starches) and the stomach never really has a chance to digest, as the cat is constantly eating.

I feed Cookie and Lita about every four or five hours. (if you work outside the home, they will be hungry when you get home, and will eat)

Remember, a cat's stomach is about the size of a walnut, so if you get a tablespoon of food every few hours, that's good. Also, please try adding a bit of warm water to the wet food, as it releases the odor and makes it more enticing to the cat. I take a Corelle (made in America) cup and put a small amount of water in the microwave on high for 10 or 15 seconds. (you can feel it to see how hot it is) I mix this in with their wet food until it is pretty soft and well absorbed.

As far as leaving the canned food out...sometimes, I will put the bowl down and then walk away, and if they haven't eaten, I'll take them over to the bowl and start petting them and praising them (mostly Lita, as Cookie laps it up like crazy) and telling them how good they are to eat for Mommy....it usually works !

Maybe cooking some boneless chicken tenderloins and mincing them up, and using them as "garnish", as I do, would entice her. Our girls LOVE that chicken. I buy a big frozen bag of "Cooking Good" tenderloins, and cook about three per day, by boiling, cooling, then mincing. Those serve as both their treats and their garnish on top of their wet food. I know that every cat is an individual, just as people are. I pray that this will work with Sera as well as it has with Cookie. Best wishes to you both, Mrs. T. (PS. I love your frozen pierogies :)

On 4/24/2011 MrsT said:

madeinamerica posted: If you do use the probiotics simultaneously with changing Sera's diet to wet food only, it's my opinion (and only an opinion, based on common sense) that if she has a positive response, you won't know which change is responsible. I would do either one or the other, but not both at the same time. Just my opinion, again, but you have to do what YOU and your vet thinks is right. Good luck, Mrs. T, and give Sera an extra hug from me.

Hi, madeinamerica. I agree totally about introducing one thing at a time. In my zeal to "heal" her, I don't want to rush into too many things, as #1 she doesn't handle change well, and #2, I want to know how each thing ultimately works on it's own...because the flip side of not knowing what worked...I won't know which thing aggravated her situation, if something doesn't agree with her. So much to learn...

I tried introducing a little of the canned food into the baby food...and she's not seeming too fond of it. She did eat a little, and did keep it down...so baby steps. I just wish we could fast forward to what works for her...all the time. I have to say that if it turns out that we never go back to dry food (and we have never done cheap food with her), it might be the hardest thing for her to adjust to. Where before I'd set out her bowl with about a 1/2 cup of her food and she would graze all day. When she was hungry it was there and when she wasn't, she'd ignore it. Now, because I'm concerned with how little she's eating and how little nutrition she has to be getting, I've been trying to get her to eat a little bit every couple of hours or so. She doesn't seem to be as taken with the baby food (and especially the mixture of baby food and canned food) as she was initially. So even though I think she needs to eat a little something...she's not hungry or ready. So how long can the canned food be set out before danger of it spoiling? 15 mins? 30 mins? More? Less?

I'm going to call the Vet's office tomorrow morning and see if I can get Sera in first thing on Tuesday morning (the Vet is off tomorrow). I want to talk to her about the things I'm finding out from everyone here, as well as things I'm finding out on other sites. I'd really like to find an easy, natural, way of helping Sera without it being too hard on her. I want to discuss the advantages of doing a wet/canned food diet only...and to find out more about using the steroid in the short term...the pros and cons in using it. I feel like I'm more prepared to have an actual discussion now, since I was initially caught offguard with the call I got a week ago regarding what was found on the xrays.

I hope everyone is having a nice day with your families, if that's what your plans are/were. And thanks so much for taking the time to post with ideas or thoughts about this.

MrsT1303685800.4332042 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

Thanks for the tips, madeinamerica! I gave her canned cat food yesterday for the first time ever, and she threw it up. So the vet suggests mixing a little in with the baby food to get her slowly used to it. Like I've mentioned previously...she's been almost a full 14 years with nothing but premium dry cat food...it's taking her a little time to acclimate to "wet". And I already utilize the sweet talking to entice her to eat her new food.

I think the old adage about it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks...applies to cats doubly!

And the info you gave about how small their stomachs are, was good to know. She weighs 9.9 lbs, and the vet said she needs 3 small jars of baby food to maintain her weight. At this point, I'm lucky if she gets down 2 jars (70 calories each). Hopefully this will get easier for her as time goes on...because as of now, she is not happy about the change to wet...but her body doesn't seem able to handle dry anymore. The funny thing was I always thought we were doing good for her (what with gum disease and things), to have her on premium dry food. Now to find out that it's not only not beneficial, but may be harmful is so sad.

Frozen pierogies? I'll have to look in the freezer section for my name sake's food, as I'm still not used to the brands up here...but I don't recall seeing them back in MO, either. Now Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Paul I know, but no Mrs. T. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Cheryl A S­ophie1303690959.153952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
Mrs t. From what I have learned genecically speaking cats are desert animals, so need all the water we can get them to drink. Canned foods contain more water then dry. Can't recall if you said what brand you fed dry wise. See if you can get Stella and chewy's samples at your petshop, they are like dry food texture and easy to break up, but healthier then dry, and no special handling unless moistened, although they are made from raw, might be worth trying one sample, I started giving just a pinch in Missy's canned food buried, you could try that in baby food, but myself if she's tolerating the baby food, knowing what I would do, I would do just that with aloe juice as it would calm her stomach, after a week could add a pinch of home cooked chicken or dry, right now want to get calories staying in her. Last edited on 4/24/2011

Last edited on 4/24/2011

Spay and Neuter your pet

madeinamer­ica1303691314.083893 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

Hi Mrs. T,

Well, here I was bragging on Cookie and for the first time in I don't know how long...I fed her...her dinner...she regurgitated. I wrote it on the calendar so that I can keep track of it, and I pray it's just a fluke, and not that she's getting worse again. She did eat really fast, so I hope that's all that it was.

Sorry I misunderstood about adding the babyfood....I remember you mentioning it, but then I forgot...another Senior Moment :)

I haven't bought "your " perogies in so long, I was beginning to think I was having another senior moment...but they are, indeed, Mrs. Ts'. I don't know if any of the ingredients are sourced from China, though, so I probably won't buy then again. May call the company and find out or see if they will try to lie their way out of it.

http://www.pierogies.com/

Sure hope that Sera will accept the wet food in time. I know, don't beat yourself up. I thought that I was doing the right thing by feeding our girls high quality dry food, too. Will keep you updated on Cookie and you do the same with Sera. Just be patient....I bet she'll come around in time. Both of our girls did.

On 4/24/2011 MrsT said:

Thanks for the tips, madeinamerica! I gave her canned cat food yesterday for the first time ever, and she threw it up. So the vet suggests mixing a little in with the baby food to get her slowly used to it. Like I've mentioned previously...she's been almost a full 14 years with nothing but premium dry cat food...it's taking her a little time to acclimate to "wet". And I already utilize the sweet talking to entice her to eat her new food.

I think the old adage about it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks...applies to cats doubly!

And the info you gave about how small their stomachs are, was good to know. She weighs 9.9 lbs, and the vet said she needs 3 small jars of baby food to maintain her weight. At this point, I'm lucky if she gets down 2 jars (70 calories each). Hopefully this will get easier for her as time goes on...because as of now, she is not happy about the change to wet...but her body doesn't seem able to handle dry anymore. The funny thing was I always thought we were doing good for her (what with gum disease and things), to have her on premium dry food. Now to find out that it's not only not beneficial, but may be harmful is so sad.

Frozen pierogies? I'll have to look in the freezer section for my name sake's food, as I'm still not used to the brands up here...but I don't recall seeing them back in MO, either. Now Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Paul I know, but no Mrs. T. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Page 1 of 5