TSV(R) Preview
13 Members and 11300 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

What are some signs that your dog may be passing on soon?

Started 1303071937.387 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1305044786.61 by chichimom

I have a German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound mix who is about 12 or 13. She's already outlived her life expectancy of around 10, according to what I've read. She's been uninterested in food, treats, and even people food for a few months. Some days are better than others. She has never been one to eat dry food without turning her nose up, so I usually mix in some wet. She doesn't really even want to eat that lately....she'll leave most of the dry food behind. She is pretty slow moving and not excited about much. She spends most of her time in her bed, or sleeping on the kitchen floor, and she's constantly drinking water. I don't feel like she's dehydrated...she isn't panting or anything like that. I'm thinking it's just her time...I would love to hear your thoughts, or experiences. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2
JeninPA1303072311.463590 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011

Hi PomeranianFluff...so sorry to hear your dog is having problems. It could be age related or health related. Have you taken her to the vet yet?

Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option. – Maya Angelou

Sammycat11303072353.769243 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

Our big collie (who had arthritis and also lived beyond his expectancy for his size and weight of 140 lbs.) drank water because 1) yes, he had kidney failure and became dehydrated and 2) he was in pain from the arthritis, which compelled him to drink nervously.

I strongly recommend you get your pup checked out for the kidney failure, because it could explain the other problems you are having and is highly treatable. It will slow them down to a crawl if untreated, and it also makes them nauseated and unwilling to eat.

It's worth the exam and blood test -- give him a chance, and good luck!

MalteseMom­ma1303073397.0637289 PostsRegistered 8/15/2006Formally Corgimom

My Barkley is the same.He is 15.He sleeps 23 hrs out of the 24 in a day.When he is up he is happy,he does eat and is interested in things around him although he cannot hear much anymore,he can see well.most of the time he sleeps the sunny day away and gets up at my bedtime..lol..

My vet says he is well,just old.I know the end may be near for him.Everyday I wake up and run to see if he is still alive.Although we can never prepare enough for the heartbreak,I am expecting it any time now..Should he show signs of distress,I will help him go over Rainbow Bridge but I pray that never happens and he crosses over on his own..

He is a lot of work when he is awake.Sometimes I get exausted caring for him but I love him.I never go out and leave him alone,even though he is sleeping most of the time.He cannot go down my outdoor stairs nor up them either but he will not do his business inside,so whatever the time or weather, I have to help him up/down all 50 lbs of him.I hand feed him and he is extreamly picky,wanting a different food everyday,so I have to constantly think up new ideas for him.I add cheese to lots of things..lol

He is comfortable and happy.Not in any discomfort ,except for arthritis which I sometimes give him 1/2 baby asprin for .

They drink more water when they eat dry food.

Your vet can tell you more, now most vets have special care for senior pets.

When you reach the end of your rope,you will find the hem of His garment

Pomeranian­Fluff1303074751.693937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Thanks guysSmile I hadn't thought of kidney failure, but those symptoms sound a lot like what she's been experiencing. I'll make a vet appt this week. She needs a bath, but would rather die than get wet{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Car rides aren't her favorite either, but she'll just have to s u c k it up. When we adopted her back in 2005, she had come from a farm, where she was an indoor dog for all of her life, up until they decided to leave her outside. I'm sure she was abused as well. They told us she didn't like men with facial hair (I have found that she likes everyone EXCEPT my father-in-law lol...he's very tall)

What kind of treatments are available for kidney failure? Would they put her on medication, or just prescribe a renal food?

Sammycat11303080260.4179243 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005
On 4/17/2011 PomeranianFluff said:

Thanks guysSmile I hadn't thought of kidney failure, but those symptoms sound a lot like what she's been experiencing. I'll make a vet appt this week. She needs a bath, but would rather die than get wet{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Car rides aren't her favorite either, but she'll just have to s u c k it up. When we adopted her back in 2005, she had come from a farm, where she was an indoor dog for all of her life, up until they decided to leave her outside. I'm sure she was abused as well. They told us she didn't like men with facial hair (I have found that she likes everyone EXCEPT my father-in-law lol...he's very tall)

What kind of treatments are available for kidney failure? Would they put her on medication, or just prescribe a renal food?

If it is kidney failure, there's usually different stages, and depending on the stages, the treatment will vary. Usually they have to go on renal food and some medications to help with nausea; additionally, she may need to have some fluids to help "flush" the kidneys...when they slow down in their working, toxins build up in the blood, so giving these fluids kick start the kidneys and help support them as much as possible. Sometimes with the fluids you just need an initial treatment; other times, they may need them more often, once or twice a week. Not to worry: they can teach you how to do it at home (we've done it for dogs and cats, and once you get used to it, it's a snap. In any case, it makes your pup feel 100% better.

But all that is jumping the gun. For a geriatric dog, it's a good idea to get the blood work/exam at least twice a year to keep ahead of these changes. A lot of people assume their dog is dying only to find out it's something very treatable -- so give it a go, and good luck!!!!!

Rooney11303080288.1835640 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

Drinking a lot of water in an older animal, dog or cat is a sure sign of kidney failure. The lack of activity could be from pain due to arthritis, etc. People also often to realize that animals can suffer from depression like symptoms that can cause a lack of interest and less vitality. I would recommend that you get your baby to the vet and see what they say. I would bet that your baby is reaching the end of days, but the vet can help you a lot in making her remaining time much more comfortable.

Good luck and (((((Hugs)))))... I know how hard it is...

Sea Turtle1303081532.818729 PostsRegistered 3/29/2009

(((((Pomeranian-Fluff & your sweet girl)))))

What is her name? I would definitely speak with the Vet about her. Good for her and you that she is a couple years past her life expectancy. My thoughts are with you. Smile

What lies behind us and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-RW Emerson

MotorCity ­Chick1303081687.9971812 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

Hi PomeranianFluff, I seen your post and just felt such sadness as we just said Goodbye to our Katie yesterday. I know how it feels to question "Will I know when the time comes" - this has crossed my mind probably 100 times in the last 3-4 months many people told me I would "just know" but I didn't believe it until I did just know so I am hoping its the same for you as well and you will just know when the time is right and to me if you are incredibly lucky you dont have to make the decision and nature will takes its course.

Katie starting drinking so much water I was very worried, we took her to the vet and he said she was going thru the first stages of kidney failure. She also had incontinence issues because of the water intake and the fact that her kidney's were failing he prescribed Proin and it was a godsent. She was on that for over 2 years and it really extended her quality of life. I hope its the same for your baby and the vet can help you out! Good luck to you.

Pomeranian­Fluff1303085297.33937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Thanks, Sea TurtleSmile Her name is Mistletoe (Missie).

Hi, originalln. I'm so sorry to hear about your Katie. It must have been so hard to let go{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Missie has been "depressed" for a few years, but never like this. I just attributed it to old age, and having nothing to do all day but sleep. Since we had to move here (military) she just doesn't want to do anything. She misses grass and trees...and having things to hunt. Luckily, we get out of here in January. Hopefully she makes it. Missie is not a desert kind of dog, and I'm not a desert kind of girl!

Everyone's comments have really calmed me down. I'm hoping now that this is a kidney issue that can be fixed!

Doxie1303086932.1978848 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

positive thoughts coming your way. Let us know how it goes at the vet.

doxie

Pomeranian­Fluff1303087954.7937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

For everybody sending good wishes, Missie says thank you...and rub my belly{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Photobucket

Sea Turtle1303088036.5438729 PostsRegistered 3/29/2009

Missie is a beautiful dog! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

What lies behind us and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-RW Emerson

luvmymutt1303089287.117652 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011

What a cutie-patootie....I love seeing photos of other "kids"....hope everything goes well for her.

Talisin1303099003.62272 PostsRegistered 2/5/2011

There are so many signs of end of life but this one does sound like a kidney issue. As dogs age their sense of smell can become non-existent and this can lead to not wanting to eat it could be a double problem but you will know when you visit your vet. You can always check for dehydration at home when the vets office is closed by finding an area of loose skin and pulling it up as far as you can - it should pop right back down as soon as you release it - if it takes a while to return or stays raised then it is dehyration and needs immediate attention. You can also look at the gums - pull the lips back and if the gums are nice and pink then she is probably ok on those issues related to bleeding if the gums are pale or gray she is anemic and needs attention right away, pale gums can mean all sorts of things including internal bleeding. You can check the eyes for any small hemorraging in them indicating a vascular problem. I hope the vet is able to give you some really good news!!!

Pomeranian­Fluff1303154703.22937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Thanks for all the responses! Missie's got an appt on Thursday, bright and early for blood work. We shall see...

Pomeranian­Fluff1303421402.69937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Missie has been at the vet since 8:30 this morning. There's nothing wrong with her kidneys or pancreas, her thyroid is on the lower end of normal, and they have tested everything else they could via blood. They still don't know what's wrong{#emotions_dlg.sad} but, she's apparently very anemic, and has an iv of fluids right now...they're sending her blood out to a lab for further examination, and doing x-rays tomorrow. Whatever is wrong with her, she's had it for a long time. I don't know if she'll be around much longer...

My Pomeranian doesn't know what to do with himself. He's been alone all day, wondering where she is{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

luvdobes1303422048.64665 PostsRegistered 6/1/2010

Pomeranian Fluff - You are taking all the right steps to try and diagnose any problem. Would it be possible for you to redirect your energy just a little? Please consider noticing and praising signs of life not so much signs of death. Laugh, cry, sing and dance but be sure to enjoy each moment with your furbabies, you will never have that moment again.

Cheryl A S­ophie1303423967.38936 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
Almost did not read here as I do not do these type threads well. You said thyroidd is low, thyroid levels as in lab works low, as she's HYPERthyroid, or thyroid function itself is low, as HYPOthroid? Both can be easily treated. Sending positive thoughts. The fact that her kidney functions good is a plus. Cheryl Edited to sneak in tummy rub with Missy that's my senior kitties nameLast edited on 4/21/2011

Last edited on 4/21/2011

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

Reiss19801303474414.6978218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.mellow} Every dog is different... I would take him to the vet.. they can tell you more about what is going on .... with the aging process .. God bless your pooch kid.{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

MotorCity ­Chick1303475099.51812 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

Pomeranian Fluff, thinking of you and Missie this morning, hope all is well! Keep us updated what you find out!

Pomeranian­Fluff1303482530.873937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

Just dropped Missie off at the vet again. Her x-rays had some fuzzy white orbs in them, that could be cancer. They sent the x-rays off to a lab so they can tell for sure. She was put on Prednisone for the time being, and prescribed some Hill's a/d. So, she's doing ok now...much more perky than usualSmile The cone she has to wear is a big obstacle for her. I don't think she's ever had one before...

Cheryl A S­ophie1303604807.58936 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
Hills yuck not a good quality food. See what findings are then see for different food options

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

angelsareo­ut1303629045.3036912 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

kidney failure can cause the water drinking or diabetes.

Pomeranian­Fluff1303656987.703937 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Vegas...

We found out it's cancer. She has nodules on her spleen and they have spread to other areas. Her spleen is enlarged, and could burst or bleed out at any time. I've gone back and forth, but I think that her age, it's not worth it to have the spleen removed. It wouldn't extend her life by much, and surgery would just be unnecessary trauma.

She also has hypothyroidism. They put her on 2 drugs for the rest of her life, which I'm beginning to think won't be very much longer. She doesn't want to eat. Even the chicken and rice I've been cooking for her gets no interest anymore. She's so depressed. I wonder if it would just be better to put her down, since she's obviously suffering? She really acts like she doesn't want to be alive.

Sammycat11303675306.819243 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005
On 4/24/2011 PomeranianFluff said:

We found out it's cancer. She has nodules on her spleen and they have spread to other areas. Her spleen is enlarged, and could burst or bleed out at any time. I've gone back and forth, but I think that her age, it's not worth it to have the spleen removed. It wouldn't extend her life by much, and surgery would just be unnecessary trauma.

She also has hypothyroidism. They put her on 2 drugs for the rest of her life, which I'm beginning to think won't be very much longer. She doesn't want to eat. Even the chicken and rice I've been cooking for her gets no interest anymore. She's so depressed. I wonder if it would just be better to put her down, since she's obviously suffering? She really acts like she doesn't want to be alive.

I'm so sorry to hear this news -- she's such a beautiful girl. You will know if/when the time is right, because she will tell you. Hang in there -- we are praying for her and your entire family.

Page 1 of 2