Share the Love
16 Members and 14020 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Would you leave cat alone in house for 4 day trip?

Started 1300817040.067 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1300918951.733 by mineralgirl1

Would you feel awful leaving your cat for 4 days in the house alone with someone only dropping by a few times a day to check his food, water, etc.? My cat is a Ragdoll and totally loves human companionship but I don't know of anyone that can keep him at their house while I'm gone. I feel like he's going to be so lonesome. Do any of you ever leave a single cat alone for that long? He'll be fed, etc. but none of my friends are "cat" people so he's not going to get the TLC he's use to getting everyday, they would just come in quickly to feed him and leave. It breaks my heart : ( Plus, he'd be home alone each night.

Also, there is no way I would kennel him.

Page 1 of 2
TXGigi1300817362.53674 PostsRegistered 10/25/2004

I would never leave my 2 cats home alone for 4 days. They are like my kids. When I go out for just a few hours they are sitting by the door when I come home waiting for me.

silkgeisha1300817439.02413 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

As long as someone will feed and check on the cat a few times day - no, I will not feel awful leaving him for 4 days. At least he will be in a similar surround instead of a kennel with other cats. Near his bed - leave an unwashed clothing of yours so he could smell you.

orange1300817457.212987 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

If you are having someone come in a few times a day the cat should be fine. If they spend some time and play with him he should be fine. A kennel would most likely be more stressful and he'd probably receive a lot less attention. You are not being a bad 'mom' at all! I have two so I understand your heartache but he'll adapt and be so happy to see you when you come home.

MSA20041300817658.024646 PostsRegistered 8/3/2010Midwest, USA

No. I wouldn't leave her alone for 4 days. Take her to the boarders.

Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!!!!

caligrl1300817758.549049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

I agree with the other posters. At least your cat will be in his own home, he should be fine. What about leaving the TV on? I have 17 cats so they are never alone, but if I am gone for the day, I leave the TV on a music station. They like classic Vinyl. Makes people think someone is home too.

rosie031300817977.93716 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

I leave my cat alone up to 5 days. He was not happy at the vet's, my mother's or the neighbors, refused to eat and hid. I put in clean litter, a bowl of food and water in every room, in case something gets knocked over, put toys in all rooms, leave on several lamps, and the radio for company. Never have a problem when I return.

chickenbutt1300817994.83322638 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 3/22/2011 silkgeisha said:

As long as someone will feed and check on the cat a few times day - no, I will not feel awful leaving him for 4 days. At least he will be in a similar surround instead of a kennel with other cats. Near his bed - leave an unwashed clothing of yours so he could smell you.

ITA - since you have somebody to stop by a few times a day, that is perfectly good. Of course, one must hope that the person actually DOES come that frequently, as agreed upon. I've had people say they would stop in x-number of times per day and they didn't end up actually doing that.

From the thread title, I got the impression it was about just leaving the cat completely alone for 4 days with big bowls of food and water. Glad I was wrong! hehe

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Smurfette1300818074.3572067 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight

I think it would be more stressful for the cat to be moved from the house. Even in a kennel, no one is going to be playing with him like you do, and it will be noisy!

Cardamom1300818182.4076253 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
He'll be fine, he probably won't like it and will complain at you when you get home but I think he will be much more comfortable at home than in a kennel with perhaps barking dogs. If he knew that alternative he would be quite satisfied with staying at home alone. Is ther no way you could convince or pay a friend? Perhaps after 4 days they maybe become a cat person. Last edited on 3/22/2011

Last edited on 3/22/2011

ok4ablonde21300818273.9138837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Cats would rather be at home than a kennel. I used to go to Las Vegas for 5 days/4 nights - but stopped going in 2007 when my oldest cat Snowbell needed meds. She has since gone to the Bridge along with Bruiser (due to cancer).

I have 2 cats now and wouldn't hesitate to leave them with plenty of food, water and clean litter boxes and go to Vegas if only I could afford the trip now.

And this is coming from a person who thinks of her cats as her kids. Yes, I would worry about something happening (like my home catching fire, etc). But life goes on.

I would never hire a pet sitter to come in to check on them as I fear they may escape and he/she would never catch them. They are safer with no one coming in to check.

And years ago when Snowbell was young (in the 1990's) she was the only cat and I left her alone while in Vegas, she did fine. She slept a lot anyway and I'm sure that's what she did.

Last edited on 3/22/2011

Last edited on 3/22/2011

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

emboston1300818368.74344 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006

I would for 4 days. Any more than that I typically have my cat sitter come in.

k9pia1300818401.8571389 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007

He'll probably be more comfortable in his own home. If someone is coming in to feed him, and check on him, would they be willing to just sit and watch TV for an hour or so? At least then it would seem somewhat normal for him, having a person in the house and sounds. My TV/remote has a "Sleep" setting, that will run the TV for up to 2 hours, then shut it off. Or, have someone turn a radio off/on - maybe set a radio up on a timer to go on in the late afternoon and run until bedtime. I'm just not crazy about leaving my three alone. Now, my mom, who lives across the street will come in, feed and stay for a bit. If not her, I have a retired vet-tech who will feed, stay - she'll even bring in mail, water plants. I'm not a boarding fan, most cats hate the change and it's stressful for them. It's hard to decide what will work best for your kitty. It's not like it will be a week or more.

Pets are blessings in fur.

ok4ablonde21300818596.9038837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Also forgot to add in my other post, I had timers set on several lamps to make it look like I was home, and I put out several food and water bowls in case they got knocked over.

Only downfall was the stench from the litterboxes that needed cleaned the minute I walked in the door from my trip - and I even put out extra litter boxes!

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

mishka1300831142.0131070 PostsRegistered 12/1/2008ct.

I would do it, they don't like going to the boarders. I have 2, and left them for 6 days, but someone came in 2 times a day and did litter, food, water and played with them. It was a very good neighbor that they saw almost everday anyway.

Back in 97 I left my one cat for 3 days, (unexpected funeral, out of state) alone, but left lots of food and water and the litter box. He was fine, did miss me, but I think they just sleep alot. He didn't like people much, so he never would have done well at the borders.

I think he was happier in his own space.

mishka1300831169.511070 PostsRegistered 12/1/2008ct.

I would do it, they don't like going to the boarders. I have 2, and left them for 6 days, but someone came in 2 times a day and did litter, food, water and played with them. It was a very good neighbor that they saw almost everday anyway.

Back in 97 I left my one cat for 3 days, (unexpected funeral, out of state) alone, but left lots of food and water and the litter box. He was fine, did miss me, but I think they just sleep alot. He didn't like people much, so he never would have done well at the borders.

mishka1300831258.4271070 PostsRegistered 12/1/2008ct.

sandy531300831399.53826 PostsRegistered 1/10/2008

He's a cat. He'll be fine. I take care of a friend's two cats when she travels and they do fine. I go to her home once a day to check on them and play a little. You will probably miss him more than he misses you.

panz1300831616.6573310 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Maui, HI

I would and have! Just like ok4ablonde2, I used to leave my cat home alone when I went on vacation (I think the longest was 5 nights/6 days). I also had lamps on timers and sat out a zillion bowls of water and food along with an extra litter box. He was always very happy to see me - and there was always plenty of food and water left over! Definately better than being stuck in a cage!

Alsee1300832320.9632250 PostsRegistered 11/21/2006

I have left my kitties for a week - have a wonderfu pet sitter that comes twice a day for an hour or so each visit. I have read that while it is ok to board dogs, cats seem to do better staying in their own home with a sitter. Just be sure it is someone that knows the cats and can check them out when he or she comes - knows eating habits, etc.

Katmary1300832670.0931543 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006

What I usually do (for my SIL and brother's cat) is go around dinner and feed him, then lay on the floor all ready for some great cuddling time once he's ready. He usually wants some cuddling first, then will go eat and come back to hang out. I make sure his water's filled and if it's warm, put some ice cubes in and water the plants while he eats. If they're gone for more than 4 days, I'll clean the litter box (gross). I'm not sure how to turn on the TV, so I usually bring a book and stick around for a couple hours. If it's warm, then the ceiling fans are turned on high and the two of us lay under one and I give him some good scratching and baby talk! He usually meows before I even get the key in the door so he must hear me struggling with the screen. He's a great cat, my Mom and I are allergic so it's the first cat in the family, my SIL definitely brought one special kitty into the family with her! I came real close to getting my own tuxedo cat since I do pretty well with allergies around him, but they stayed here for a few days in between moving and I think it's more that my SIL and brother must vacuum prior to my coming over, I was an allergic mess when he was here. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I think if someone's willing to at least watch TV for a bit so the cats aren't alone, that would be great. The one I watch is more like a dog when it comes to wanting attention and loving to be in the middle of things.

streetangel1300832817.566348 PostsRegistered 12/19/2007Near Harrisburg, PA

I'm with OK4aBlonde. I don't LIKE doing it, but I have done it and will be doing it again more than likely later in April to go to Pgh. for my granddaughter's 1st birthday. Last year when I went to Pgh. for 5 days when she was born, I had a housesitter, but that housesitter is also going to Pgh. for Birdie's birthday, sooooo......since I have 3 cats, boarding them is out of the question, and they would be so skitzoid and paranoid that they would not do well being boarded, even though it would be at their beloved Dr. Bowers' practice.

I also set timers for lights, make sure all the small trash cans are empty, litterboxes are clean when I leave, plenty of food and water available. Like I said, I hate doing it, but I think 4 days will be OK. Another thing I do is spread out a few of my t-shirts on my bed so they can lay on my scent and 'be comforted'. LOL!!!

Mary

~~Cats are God's furry angels on earth, without wings~~
~~I bleed Black and Gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers!~~
~~Praying for my 18-year old granddaughter who just entered Army Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, on 3/25/14.

Keli131300835806.2637516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006

I have left my cats for longer than 4 days and did not feel bad about it. They had everything they needed but me. I did hire a pet sitter which is actually really inexpensive for cats versus dogs, to check in on them, brush and play with them besides the usual things like making sure they had food and water and scoopingthe litter box.

If you already have arranged to have someone you know stop in to check on them I would not feel bad at all. Cats would rather stay in their own enviroment than be removed from the home and boarded.

I feel it's much more humane to keep them at home where they feel safe.

mineralgir­l11300835968.3131445 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006New York

We have three cats and we do this all the time. Our wonderful neighbor comes in daily to check on them and visit with them. They are always fine when we get back.

"There are no limits to growth and human progess when men and woman are free to follow their dreams." R.Reagan

Brinklii1300836622.31710277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

No! My furbabies would be sitting in the window for four days waiting for me to come home. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself wherever I was.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

BREEZYBEAR1300836677.53106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

NO I WOULDNT.

Page 1 of 2