Shoes & Handbags Offers
169 Members and 12723 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Anyone have any familiarity with mast cell tumors?

Started 1298666809.557 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1299640452.563 by JMINNY

I have a 9 year old toy poodle who is having her second mast cell tumor removed on Wednesday. She had one removed near her shoulders a few years ago. It was a stage/grade I. This one is down on her right side on her ribs. Poodles don't commonly get these kinds of tumors so I don't have much familiarity with them. Is it a bad thing that she has another one? Does this indicate a greater likelihood of the cancer spreading? If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.

Page 1 of 1
C and C Fo­rever1298668422.2071572 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

My poodle had one on her right side in the rib area. The vet removed it (with wide margins) and she didn't have any more problems. (No recurrence) She lived for several more years, and went to the Bridge from something toally unrelated.

I guess since yours already had one that you will have to have her checked more often by the vet and of course, always "feel" for yourself when petting her. I hope the surgery goes smoothly and the tumor is small and low grade.

Poodles are THE BEST!! You and your baby will be in my prayers. Please post and let us know how everything goes.

Cathy

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.

newlawgirl1298673724.222999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010

Thanks C and C. Yes, I am diligent about checking her, which is how I found this one. I've had a few other masses checked out since the first surgery and they've just been cysts. My doctor was sure this one was a cyst when I brought her in today but since that's what he said about the first tumor, I never get too comfortable. So I wasn't entirely surprised when he called and told me there were mast cells. Thanks for the prayers. I will definitely keep you posted.

shoprgurl1298726685.03360 PostsRegistered 1/31/2006

Our basset, Abby, had a mast cell tumor near her back end. She had surgery to remove it but due to the location they were unable to get it all so some cells were left behind. We started chemo but it just made her too sick and not knowing how much time she had left we wanted her life to be quality, not quantity. I was always wary of any bump she developed after that - she did get a fatty cyst or two. However it was a different form of cancer in a completely dfferent location which was inoperable that took her from us.

I don't think I've been of much help in answering your questions, but wanted to post our experience.

I'll be thinking good thoughts and keeping you and your furbaby in my prayers. Keep us updated!!

NChgOfMyAt­titude1298752292.375109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut

We adopted Hero in August and he had 4 mast cells removed at the time. Doctor said check him frequently, boxers are prone to cancer anyway. He hasn't had anything since. Vet said he removed a lot of surrounding tissue, that's how they try to avoid it spreading. He's been good since then. My second boxer had a large growth removed from her underside and lived a few years after that. I'm not sure what type of tumor that was. I just make sure when petting him I run my hands around to check for little bumps. If I find one, I bring him immediately.

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

drkcharger1298756767.21773 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

Brutus my pit bull had three mast cell tumors removed at the age of seven. One on the neck area, one on the shoulder and one on his thigh which was very muscular and without much fat back there was hard to close up but the vet did an outstanding job!

Anyway all went well they did take big margins so the poor guy looked like frakenstein but none returned and he lived a happy healthy life till he passed at age 14 Dec. of last year.

I wish you luck with your baby and try to stay positive.

mother of ­three girls1298758656.78314 PostsRegistered 2/21/2011

We have a Golden Retriever who is the sweetest dog we have ever had. She had her regular check up and shots and a mass was discovered. She has had a biopsy and now we are waiting for results. She is seven years old and my grandchildren and daughters all love her. This is my first experience with a pet having this issue and I too worry about her. I am sorry I cannot be of more help to you. Keep us posted!

mother of ­three girls1298758657.1114 PostsRegistered 2/21/2011

We have a Golden Retriever who is the sweetest dog we have ever had. She had her regular check up and shots and a mass was discovered. She has had a biopsy and now we are waiting for results. She is seven years old and my grandchildren and daughters all love her. This is my first experience with a pet having this issue and I too worry about her. I am sorry I cannot be of more help to you. Keep us posted!

newlawgirl1298774047.1232999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010
Will do all. Thanks for the help and support!

Scooby Doo1298776147.331120 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Western U.S.

I lost my little girl shih tzu to a mast cell tumor two years ago. It was in her armpit so surgery wasn't an option. We tried two different types of chemo on her, but it just spread too rapidly. She only survived 4 months. It can be a tough one to beat. I hope you have better luck than my little one did. I found info about it on google.

newlawgirl1298783807.072999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010

Thanks Scooby. It's helpful to hear from someone who has been through this. From what I've read--both this time and the last time--the prognosis varies depending on what stage the tumor is. The last one was stage I and this one is pretty small so I'm hopeful that we'll have a similar result. Of course, the problem with these tumors is that they are often deceptive. They look small on the outside but anything can be going on inside. So we'll just have to see.

newlawgirl1299117688.3032999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010
My little girl had her surgery today. They took wide margins so her incision looks enormous. We will get biopsy results back in about 10 days so I'll keep you posted. Mother of three, did you ever hear back about your golden? I hope you got good news.

JLLH3581299130738.9075028 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Newlawgirl, I don't have any experience with mast cell tumors, but did run across this information when looking for something else:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/cancer.html

The information looks promising. You will find that many here have a firm conviction that holistic veterinary care and/or integrative care can add years to the lifespans of our precious furbabies. Many have done copious amounts of research (reading books by canine or animal nutritionists as well as holistic vets and going to their sites) on nutrition, holistic care, etc... I have recently begun feeding my own dogs a homecooked diet (after reading a great deal on how to do it safely!) and even though it's only been about a month I am truly amazed at the small but significant changes for the better that I have seen in my dogs. They were on a premium kibble and I had done a great deal of research on what they were eating. Even so, this diet is clearly better for them. I encourage you to investigate that option if at all possible. There are some great books written by qualified people in the field who can lead the way on how to do it and how to provide the necessary vitamins, minerals and calcium. Best Wishes with your baby. I hope this helps!

Last edited on 3/2/2011

Last edited on 3/2/2011

katiescarl­ett1299166156.891283 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007South Carolina

I lost my first Black Lab to mast cell cancer. She was 13, and is was on the back of her thigh. Biopsy was stage 4 - we did some chemo and it shrunk the tumor but she died two months after her diagnosis. They wanted to amputate her leg, but she was a surgical risk at her age and it would have to have been done at a vet school in another state. And she already had ligament issues on her other rear leg and would have had real problems walking on just that one rear leg.

I wish you luck with your pup!

"Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of
man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it
surely will change the world for that one dog." - Richard C. Call

Vivian1299166739.2533272 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My 11 year old beagle Penny had two mast cell tumors removed last year. After the first, we began checking her diligently and that's how we found the second growth. Before doing the surgery on the second tumor, our vet did an abdominal ultrasound to be sure the cancer hadn't spread. Thankfully, Penny's abdomen was clear. The surgery was tough going, since the vet took out large margins, but it saved her life. From that time onward, we began bringing Penny to the vet every three months for skin checks (ironically, I had melanoma in 2001 and I get my skin checked only twice a year). This year Penny had another ultrasound, due to some slightly abnormal blood test results, and thank goodness she tested fine once again. Vigilance is key, as it is with all cancers, canine or human.

newlawgirl1299216754.282999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010

Thank you all. She's up and moving around like normal now. I'm always amazed at how she doesn't let anything slow her down. I agree Vivian, vigilance is key. That's how I found this mass to begin with. So sorry for your loss, katiescarlett and thanks for sharing your story. Mast cells tumors are so insidious that if the margins aren't clean you pretty much are just counting down time. It's what makes this cancer even scarier than cancer is normally. I'll let you know what I find out in about two weeks.

katiescarl­ett1299537010.7171283 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007South Carolina

Thanks, newlawgirl. Glad your pup is doing better. In 2008, I lost a black Lab and a golden retriever mix, both to bone cancer, and I lost my favorite little girl to intestinal lymphoma. Not to mention the one I lost to old age, and my 30 year old horse to a ruptured ligament, all within 6 months. It was a rough year. I think you have to really know your dog, and check them for bumps and lumps, anything out of the ordinary. I knew something was up with Dolly when she was "ADR" or "ain't doin' right." I took her to the vet immediately and she died within 3 weeks from the diagnosis lymphoma. Prior to that she had been fine, no outward signs of anything wrong. I still miss her. I picked her up off the side of the road as a 4 pound puppy with mange and she became my best buddy.

"Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of
man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it
surely will change the world for that one dog." - Richard C. Call

newlawgirl1299548073.682999 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010

I just heard from the vet. Although the tumor is a stage 2, which means it's malignant and could spread, the pathologist thinks the surgeon got all the cancer out so that is good news. Her prognosis is pretty good--I just have to keep an eye out for any other lumps, which I was doing anyway. It's always possible that there could be more cancer out there--mast cell tumors are very sneaky that way--so I just have to be vigilant. But for now, looks like good news so I'm very happy! Thank you all for the support and good thoughts!

Last edited on 3/7/2011

Last edited on 3/7/2011

JMINNY1299640452.5532233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.

I have had ALOT of experience with this, unfortunately...My oldest pug, who is now 13, has had a long history with them...I adopted her at 9 years old (she was a former puppy mill momma)....and they started almost immediately...Each one has been removed, and all stage 1...I check her constantly and bring her in for anything suspicious, no matter how small-the tricky thing with these growths, is sometimes they appear and disappear quite rapidly...It worries me, the older she gets though...I started my girl on NUPRO supplement and her growths have been few and far apart since she started getting that...

Glad to hear your poodle did well with the surgery and is now home...GOOD LUCK!!!

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

Page 1 of 1