Guaranteed Delivery
61 Members and 17215 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Cat afraid of his food???

Started 1298646408.943 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1298822140.607 by yasushi

OK folks I'm really sort of joking with that title, but my Purrcy has suddenly decided he doesn't want to eat and will back off from the food bowl like he's afraid of it. I've also seen him shaking his head. I'm taking him to the vet in a couple of hours. I'm wondering if he has developed a dental issue. Otherwise he is fine. Making me sad because when I go in the kitchen he walks to his bowl and meows but he won't eat!!! My other cat Jaspurr has no problem with eating, other than eating too much that is. I haven't changed their food at all. Please pray that he doesn't need uber expensive dental work!!! If he does DH and I will just have to eat bread and water for a month because my baby will get what he needs!!

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

Page 1 of 1
mima1298646758.94714795 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Have you changed his food BOWL to a different one? My dog will only eat out of one bowl which is small, shallow and clear. I have 4 of the same one so I can put them in the dishwasher. It is really weird. She refuses to eat if I feed her in a different bowl. She acts frightened.

My dog has many cat qualities. In fact I think she acts just like a cat. She lounges on top of the back of the recliner. She bats at toys. She is very finicky and won't eat until the bowl is empty.

Just a thought.

Edit: I left out the word "bowl". Sorry.

Last edited on 2/25/2011

Last edited on 2/25/2011

Mima

kitkom1298646818.5775646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Aww poor kitty. You are a smart mommy and taking him to the vet! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Wadzlla1298647784.371993 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

Lsten toi your cat! Remember all of those pet food recalls, and animals dying from the tainted food? If your cat is refusing to eat it, I would suspect first that there is something wrong with the food, and get something else.

Better safe than sorry!

ChynaGirl1298650055.6973895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

My kitty does the same thing. She's a CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) kitty, sometimes anorexic, and is EXTREMELY picky about her food. What she loves today, she could be afraid of tomorrow. She also has some major dental issues, so sometimes it's easier to eat dry (swallowed whole), than it is to eat wet food (which seems to get stuck in her teeth and causes pain).

Perhaps your kitty has similar issues. In any case, when a cat doesn't eat it means there's something wrong, and it's time to go to the vet.

autumnfaire1298650415.7075020 PostsRegistered 8/1/2005

We took in kittens a couple of years ago--they ate their food (pate) like they were famished. One day, all four refused to eat. We switched to 'meaty bits' and they all resumed eating, so it may not be anything serious. I'm glad that he is getting checked, though.

lynne6was71298655940.18394 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006

If he is backing away from his dish and shaking his head, it could be a pain issue. If the vet doesn't think it is dental related, please ask about palate, sinus and stomach problems. I certainly hope it's none of these and just a finicky kitty issue. Hope all goes well for Purrcy! Cute kitty names!

cinebee1298658818.5776550 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

Well folks, just got back from the vet. She found nothing wrong anywhere. Nothing with the mouth. If he doesn't eat by tomorrow at noon he goes back for blood work. He's not happy with me right now so he went off to his hiding place on my closet shelf and is taking a nap.

And yes, I have thought of all the "could be" scenarios. I am a long-time kitty mom and had a cat with renal failure (lived to 22) that I nursed through years of coaxing to eat and giving fluids, etc. This boy is not quite four years old and is still mischievous and was even carrying a toy mouse around by the tail and chasing after his brother this morning. Sooooooo I'm thinking that maybe he's just decided he doesn't like the food and treats! He's always been sort of quirky and finicky but it's weird that he was eating like crazy two days ago and suddenly yesterday he started this. I am going to get some different food and treats just to see. You know cats usually love something new and different, at least at first! If that doesn't work we'll go back to the vet tomorrow.

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

QsZoo1298820198.3032258 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

When one of my litle girls did this there an internal medical issue discovered by x-rays. Hoping the vet will be able to pinpoint the problem and he will be back to his old self soon:)

Scruffysmom1298821159.9671443 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007

I once had a cat that refused to eat for days. I finally changed her long term food to a different brand and she wouldn't stop eating. My Scruffy has to inspect the food first. I put the bag in a big Lock n Lock container and he's right there checking what I'm pouring in the container.

Have you washed the bowl in a different brand of dish soap? Just a thought. I don't really know if it would make a difference, but with cats you never know.

yasushi1298822140.607121 PostsRegistered 3/10/2010

This is a common symptom of stomatitis. My cat has this.

Are you able to look in her mouth? If so, look as far back as you can and see if there is any redness. Please have your vet check for this also.

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2121&aid=368

Page 1 of 1