Holidays at Home
125 Members and 12152 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

Dangerous side effects of neutering your dog early

Started 1297974129.297 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1298266050.45 by readysk8

Early neutering is not beneficial and in fact dangerous, according to recent studies. Truly frightening health problems are discussed at Mercola's website.

Page 1 of 2
Tissyannie1297978333.896563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010

We had our cocker spaniel neutered at six months, and he did fine. He lived to be eighteen years old. I am not sure what is considered early.

My son has a male cat who he had neutered at five months and he did fine. He is now three years old.

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

chickenbutt1297978480.31323932 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Our puppy was done, at the recommendation of the doctor, at 4 months old since he is a pretty large puppy. I had always heard different 'rules' for males than females and that it was only the females that needed to wait until at least 6 months of age.

I hope this is not now wrong information as we have enough on our plates right now, dealing with this unknown situation.

As for that website, it was pretty hard to read anything as there was a big square in the middle of the page that precluded you from reading more than one line at a time unless you register with them. What I was able to read was oddly vague.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Clover291297978739.20310533 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

Isn't Mercola the guy who tells everyone not to get (human) vaccinations? I take his advice with a few grains of salt.

My Maine Coon was neutered at 12 weeks. He was fine.

I want to see whose "studies" these are before blindly believing them.

sharonp1297979609.647116 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005

I have 5 dogs of different small breeds. I had them all neutered or spayed at 3 to 4 months at vet recommend. They all did great. Much better than dogs I have had that I waited till they were older. I think sooner the better, they seem to recover much faster.

sharonp1297979612.833116 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005

I have 5 dogs of different small breeds. I had them all neutered or spayed at 3 to 4 months at vet recommend. They all did great. Much better than dogs I have had that I waited till they were older. I think sooner the better, they seem to recover much faster.

sharonp1297979752.56116 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005

sorry for double post my internet burbed {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Nightowlz1297980399.6239621 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We had our female cocker spaniel spayed at 6 mos. she lived 18 yrs. Did not have the male neutered until he was 3 or so he lived for 15 yrs.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

chickenbutt1297980570.64323932 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 2/17/2011 sharonp said:

That was the main sentiment of our doctor, for males anyway. He said as long as their little guys had dropped, were easily accesible, and he was at a certain weight, it was safe and recommended for the reasons you stated and for the well-being of the puppy.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

peace65761297980679.2971227 PostsRegistered 10/17/2009

It is my understanding that scientific research done by veterinarians and veterinary schools have shown time and again that early neutering/spaying does not endanger or put pets at any kind of future risk. What studies are cited and what are the credentials of the scientists who are doing the research? One cannot and should not believe everything they read based on the words "studies have shown".

cathy7261297986656.515 PostsRegistered 12/16/2004

Most of what I read recently on giant breeds says that they shouldn't be neutered until past their growth spurts- at least 18-24 months old. I started reading after losing my 7 yr old saint bernard to osteosarcoma, and before that my shep/borzoi mix who died at 7 from hemangiosarcoma. Some think that early neutering doubles or triples the risks of cancers that these giant breeds are prone to.

I am currently working with a rescue that has agreed to allow me to neuter at 18 months, but I have signed a contract stating that the dog will not be bred, and that I will pay the rescue $1000. for any pup that results from a planned or unplanned breeding.

purrmom1297986754.9173400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I would take the advice of my trusted veterinarian & I think we all need to take what we read on the internet with a grain of salt. Anybody can post anything on the internet. If you don't trust your vet's advice, find another vet you do trust.

violann1297987806.13712561 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

Polly (kitty) was done very early, a few months, and although I felt terrible when she was wobbling around waiting for the anesthetic to wear off, it didn't bother her a bit. She is now a feisty four.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

kachina6241297990575.09715873 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I have a big, beautiful collie that I got as a pup. I waited until he was 10 months old to have him neutered, and have regretted it ever since. He can hardly walk through a room without spraying a piece of furniture. He's thoroughly housebroken and knows he's doing something he's not supposed to do as I can never catch him in the act. I think earlier neutering might have prevented this behavior.

JLLH3581297992783.75032 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'd be interested in seeing a study that took into consideration the diet of the dogs and other factors which have been linked closely with cancer (such as vaccines) which could influence the results of the study.

Last edited on 2/17/2011

Last edited on 2/17/2011

BurbankKate1297993441.3236188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

People who neuter dogs or cats have been brainwashed by the leftists at PETA and your local gov. agencies.

In our town, a dog costs a fortune even at the shelter because the gov. has talked everyone into neutering their animals.

The only thing at the shelters: Pit bulls, german shepards and labs.

Guess what? No one in my town wants those dogs, they want: Lhaso Ahpsos, or maltese, or yorkies, or chiuahuas, or any type of small dog...

Well guess what agaiin??? THE only place to get a small dog...BUY IT FROM A BREEDER!!

These animal rights leftists have sold the citizens of the USA a great bill of goods...what a joke. I never and will never neuter my male cocker spaniel...why??? He's in the house all the time or on walks with a leash...what's the point in giving a vet my hard earned dollars????

Want to know the truth: ANIMALS THAT ARE NEUTERED LIVE AN AVERAGE OF 3 - 5 YEARS LESS THEN ANIMALS THAT ARE NOT NEUTERED...AND YOUR VET ISN'T GOING TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH EITHER...THEY'LL REFUTE THAT.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

LemonKitti1297998441.56383 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010
On 2/17/2011 BurbankKate said:

People who neuter dogs or cats have been brainwashed by the leftists at PETA and your local gov. agencies.

In our town, a dog costs a fortune even at the shelter because the gov. has talked everyone into neutering their animals.

Guess what? No one in my town wants those dogs, they want: Lhaso Ahpsos, or maltese, or yorkies, or chiuahuas, or any type of small dog...

Well guess what agaiin??? THE only place to get a small dog...BUY IT FROM A BREEDER!!

These animal rights leftists have sold the citizens of the USA a great bill of goods...what a joke. I never and will never neuter my male cocker spaniel...why??? He's in the house all the time or on walks with a leash...what's the point in giving a vet my hard earned dollars????

Want to know the truth: ANIMALS THAT ARE NEUTERED LIVE AN AVERAGE OF 3 - 5 YEARS LESS THEN ANIMALS THAT ARE NOT NEUTERED...AND YOUR VET ISN'T GOING TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH EITHER...THEY'LL REFUTE THAT.

That is, by far, the biggest load of bu!!s4!t I have ever heard. It is (people) like you who cause millions of dogs and puppes to be euthanized every single day. Jeezuz, get over yourself!

Who agrees?????

tiamaria1297999298.862578 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006

OMG hope your little cocker doesn't decide to rebel on you and jump the fence one day. Imagine if in your small town you got slapped with a paternity suit!!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Your post just totally cracked me up.

We rescued our puppy when she was 8 weeks old. She had just been fixed and her 2 brothers were fixed at the same time. I thought that pet rescue's make sure that the pets they find homes for are fixed to avoid the ridiculous reproducing dog cycle but perhaps I am wrong.

chickenbutt1298001472.5423932 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

good grief! Is there a subject on this board that doesn't go to nutsville?

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

colliemom31298002122.7516024 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 2/17/2011 kachina624 said:

I have a big, beautiful collie that I got as a pup. I waited until he was 10 months old to have him neutered, and have regretted it ever since. He can hardly walk through a room without spraying a piece of furniture. He's thoroughly housebroken and knows he's doing something he's not supposed to do as I can never catch him in the act. I think earlier neutering might have prevented this behavior.

Kachina, I've had collies for over 25 years. All males and were neutered within the first year and I have never had that problem. Maybe you can get someone that trains dogs advice. I'm really surprised this is happening because they are such easy dogs to train.

ok4ablonde21298002403.8178837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 2/17/2011 LemonKitti said:

That is, by far, the biggest load of bu!!s4!t I have ever heard. It is (people) like you who cause millions of dogs and puppes to be euthanized every single day. Jeezuz, get over yourself!

Who agrees?????

I agree - that post is one of the most ridiculous I've read here in a long time.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

JLLH3581298002701.6075032 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/17/2011 ok4ablonde2 said:

Who agrees?????

I agree - that post is one of the most ridiculous I've read here in a long time.

I'd be interested to know where the information regarding the lessened life span can be found. What study cites this information?

The statements about people being "brainwashed" by PETA if they neuter or spay their pets ...is ludicrous at best and has no basis in fact. There are well-documented benefits to spaying and neutering (lessened/eliminated chance of reproductive cancers being one). This article is discussing the wisdom of EARLY spay/neuter - not complete across the board elimination of neutering/spaying.

Buck-i-Nana1298006038.7737867 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio

Who agrees?????

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

Spammom3721298015148.6071063 PostsRegistered 6/11/2010Pittsburgh, PA

WE just had our German Shorhair Pointer neutered last week. He is 7 months old.....he did fine. I think its important to have faith in your vet, and do what they say. Everyone has an opinion, and you have to do what is right for you.

luvie1298016763.99783 PostsRegistered 7/9/2005

the AKC has done considerable research on early neutering. they found no adverse health issues and we are encouraged to neuter early to lessen the problem of unwanted puppies. however... the AKC did find that early neutering does affect the growth of dogs. they tend to become leggier... higher in leg... and sometimes develop less bone that if they were neutered after 24 months.

i work with many breeders and when i purchase a puppy for pleasure only... i let them have the papers until after i have neutered the dog. my eye is offended by a leggy dog and i want all the bone that dog would normally have developed. i have a 36 year track record so they work with me.

and another thing... my state requires a rabies shot at 6 weeks of age. it is a known medical fact that dogs retain the immunity they got from their dams at 6 weeks and this shot is useless and hard on their immune system. a dog should not receive rabies until they are 6 MONTHS old to be effective. this is a legal problem we need to address. the AKC did the research on this issue also.

Page 1 of 2