Christmas in July(R) Sale
141 Members and 14113 Guests Online

Pet Lovers

What do I do about a stray cat hanging around my house?

Started 1291266058.99 in Pet Lovers | Last reply 1291534259.327 by Spunkyspouts

Two days ago the most adorable and what could be Cookies twin has started to hang around our house.I see there is no collar and it won't let me get near him.I put out food and water and poor thing ate like it hasn't had food in a week.I put the food outside my front screen door and he comes right up to the door and meows.problem is my 2.Cookie who never talks is growling like a crazed lunatic.The poor cat jumped and lurched at my screen door.I can't bring it in not that I could catch it.I will feed him as long as he comes around.If I call the ASPCA they will put it down.I can't do that.If I had a gagage I would let him stay in there.Beautiful tuxedo who looks so like Cookie.Do you think there is anyway to keep it as an outside pet and feed it daily? I could try and set up a food and water area in the car port.Hearing him meow breaks my heart.Thanks for any help.

beauty junkie

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

Page 1 of 2
colson1291266413.6577436 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

Looks like you have been adopted.

You can keep feeding it -- eventually the cat will warm up to you as it is being cautious.

And, you don't want to introduce him right away to your other pet for health reasons. Can you get a photo to post in the area? kitty might be lost and an owner looking for him/her.

My tuxedo passed away last spring, so guess I am partial -- go ahead and set up a feeding and water station near your car port and play it by ear....

makeup add­ict1291266565.737825 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

My grandmother's best friend did that. There were six cats that were wild and she fed them everyday. When she was in the hospital, she made sure the neighbor took care of the cats.

I don't know how cold it is where you live, but you can always set up a cardboard box with a towel in it and put the food and water next to it or inside it and it may stay there.

Wish you can send it to me; I'm dealing with a mouse issue!

hth

colson1291266646.4637436 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
On 12/1/2010 makeup addict said:

My grandmother's best friend did that. There were six cats that were wild and she fed them everyday. When she was in the hospital, she made sure the neighbor took care of the cats.

I don't know how cold it is where you live, but you can always set up a cardboard box with a towel in it and put the food and water next to it or inside it and it may stay there.

Wish you can send it to me; I'm dealing with a mouse issue!

hth

Good idea with the box and towel near the food area.....

beauty jun­kie1291266965.4938244 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

Thank you for your suggestions.I live in Ft Lauderdale so the weather is usually warm.We are getting a cold front here in the 50's in the evening. I will try and set up a box with a towel.Great idea about the picture. I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow.He or she basically comes around when its dark.This cat is such a beautiful tuxedo and and so looks like my Cookie girl.I wish I could give a home to all in need but if I can feed him and give him water and a bed. I have spare cat beds and will put one under the car port tomorrow.

Susan Loui­se1291268423.0833812 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007from Connecticut/live in Nebraska

DH and I love cats and dogs...

I don't know much about the one that is visiting you...if it's a stray of a previous owner or a feral cat. Both are prone to not being "fixed".

A quick story...

Our neighbors across the street have large evergreen bushes which sheltered just one ferel cat in March of 2008. Within a couple of weeks, our neighbor next door to us (they have 3 indoor cats) saw the feral cat and started to feed it. Well, by mid April there were 2 feral cats living in the evergreen bushes across the street. The neighbors next door were thrilled to now have 2 adorable kitties visiting them.

Meanwhile, guess who's backyard and gardens became the litter box for those 2 feral cats? Yep...Grrrrrrrrr.

Well, those 2 adorable kitties had 2 litters and one of their babies had a litter. By November there were 13 cats/kittens traveling from the evergreen bushes across the street to our neighbors next door to get fed. Then DH and I had to keep shooing the cats away to keep them from doing their business in our backyard...AGH!

Oh, we tried to talk rationally with the neighbors next door. They just thought we were awful for shooing them away and not appreciating the fertilizer for our gardens...

#$%& nutballs! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

We even tried to explain that by the following Spring all of those cats (all of which weren't "fixed") will multiply to 50+ by the end of Summer. They actually thought it would be wonderful...OMG!

So, DH and I had to take matters into our own hands. DH bought traps and I bought cans of tuna in oil. It took 3 weeks to trap all 13 cats/kittens and the local Animal Control picked up every one...and a huge possum too! People that feed cats outside also attract unwanted critters...even skunks!

So, we now have neighbors that think we are just evil...well, whatever. Good Grief! We love cats and dogs but we can't tollerate irresponsible and/or inconsiderate people.

We also had to bring other neighbors to court due to their believing that they have every right to leave their dog outside to bark for hours and hours...no matter what because it's their dog. We had to take care of that too since trying to talk to them rationally was impossible. Conclusion: After going to court, the dog now has to wear a bark-free collar when it's outside or they lose their dog. Thankfully, there is justice!

What happened to having neighbors who were considerate of each other???

If we ever have money to move to another place before we die, we want to buy an acreage...large enough so we can't see a neighbor in view from any direction.

To Beauty Junkie...Please enjoy the new visitor...and consider getting the cat "fixed" if it's not already. Also, I suggest that after you feed the cat, bring the dish/container/plate back inside each time to prevent unwanted critters...Smile

Nuff said...off the soapbox...{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 12/2/2010

Last edited on 12/2/2010

kitkom1291293532.8035646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

NOT a good idea feeding a stray. Your indoor kitty just may begin spraying. He will try to mark his territory in your home because he feels so threatened by this stray. And now he sees how you are paying attention to it, this doesn't have a good outcome.

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

ok4ablonde21291295414.6638837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

As much as I hate to agree, Kitkom may be right about the spraying, BJ. Cookie used to be feral as Stinky is. Even though Stinky is female and spayed, she would see cats outdoors and she is so territorial now that she is indoors and tamed, she started spraying indoors. Before this, I never knew a female cat could spray, I thought it was only Toms. It may have also had to do with Snowbell, as Stinky hated her the last few years.

That's when I bought the Feliway plug-ins, I had to use them for around 2 years, finally I broke her of the habit, or it may have been due to Snowbell going to the Bridge. Still, whenever she sees one of my neighbor's cats she gets all riled up. I did catch her spraying the cat tree near the front door where she saw the cat last month, so I may have to buy some more plug-ins.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

darlight1291295784.382322 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NY

Can you set the food in a trap and neuter it?

And then release and feed outside if you cant take hi in?

neuter is the first thing to stop the one stray from becoming two three etc,,,,

bamberkat131291301563.521112 PostsRegistered 3/5/2007Southwest

He sounds lost or abandoned. A true feral would not be sitting at your door meowing - at least not from what I have seen around here. They hide, eat and run. I think taking a picture or at least printing some flyers describing him is a good idea. See if your local Petsmart has a bulletin type board where you can post one. Call some of the local cat rescues to see if they can help. Check your local lost and found or wherever someone might post a lost pet. Here, the humane society has a hotline.

I wouldn't stop feeding him, but put it in the carport or away from your front door. If you have an ant problem, put the food in a bowl and then in a larger pan or bowl of water so the ants can't get to it.

The bed is a good idea. If you can socialize him, you might be able to trap him - a rescue might loan or rent you a trap. And, also tell you where to take him once trapped.

Or, you can just ignore him and eventually he will go away or starve. No, I couldn't do that either.....

bamber

Any household with at least one feline member has no need for an alarm clock :)

Susan Loui­se1291302495.9173812 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007from Connecticut/live in Nebraska
On 12/1/2010 Susan Louise said:

DH and I love cats and dogs...

I don't know much about the one that is visiting you...if it's a stray of a previous owner or a feral cat. Both are prone to not being "fixed".

A quick story...

Our neighbors across the street have large evergreen bushes which sheltered just one ferel cat in March of 2008. Within a couple of weeks, our neighbor next door to us (they have 3 indoor cats) saw the feral cat and started to feed it. Well, by mid April there were 2 feral cats living in the evergreen bushes across the street. The neighbors next door were thrilled to now have 2 adorable kitties visiting them.

Meanwhile, guess who's backyard and gardens became the litter box for those 2 feral cats? Yep...Grrrrrrrrr.

Well, those 2 adorable kitties had 2 litters and one of their babies had a litter. By November there were 13 cats/kittens traveling from the evergreen bushes across the street to our neighbors next door to get fed. Then DH and I had to keep shooing the cats away to keep them from doing their business in our backyard...AGH!

Oh, we tried to talk rationally with the neighbors next door. They just thought we were awful for shooing them away and not appreciating the fertilizer for our gardens...

#$%& nutballs! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

We even tried to explain that by the following Spring all of those cats (all of which weren't "fixed") will multiply to 50+ by the end of Summer. They actually thought it would be wonderful...OMG!

So, DH and I had to take matters into our own hands. DH bought traps and I bought cans of tuna in oil. It took 3 weeks to trap all 13 cats/kittens and the local Animal Control picked up every one...and a huge possum too! People that feed cats outside also attract unwanted critters...even skunks!

So, we now have neighbors that think we are just evil...well, whatever. Good Grief! We love cats and dogs but we can't tollerate irresponsible and/or inconsiderate people.

We also had to bring other neighbors to court due to their believing that they have every right to leave their dog outside to bark for hours and hours...no matter what because it's their dog. We had to take care of that too since trying to talk to them rationally was impossible. Conclusion: After going to court, the dog now has to wear a bark-free collar when it's outside or they lose their dog. Thankfully, there is justice!

What happened to having neighbors who were considerate of each other???

If we ever have money to move to another place before we die, we want to buy an acreage...large enough so we can't see a neighbor in view from any direction.

To Beauty Junkie...Please enjoy the new visitor...and consider getting the cat "fixed" if it's not already. Also, I suggest that after you feed the cat, bring the dish/container/plate back inside each time to prevent unwanted critters...Smile

Nuff said...off the soapbox...{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 12/2/2010

ok4ablonde21291303063.4378837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

I should have added to my other post - I wouldn't quit feeding him. I would just not let Cookie see him. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

bamberkat131291307258.921112 PostsRegistered 3/5/2007Southwest
On 12/2/2010 ok4ablonde2 said:

I should have added to my other post - I wouldn't quit feeding him. I would just not let Cookie see him. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

In your case, Stinky would be spraying the front door and Tiggi would be growling and throwing herself against it :)

Last night mommacat came close to the patio glass door knowing it was time for her dinner and Dinkie ran the length of the dining room and hit that door so it almost rattled. Whatever happened to everything I've read that Maine Coons are docile, sweet natured, lovable cats? Yeah, unless it comes to sharing their home with a strange cat :)

beauty jun­kie1291310475.7878244 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

Thank you all for your input.If there is anyway possible to get a picture and flyers made we will do so.He or she seems to only come by at night.I can't not feed him.I couldn't live with myself knowing he's hungry.I am going to go to my petsmart and see what they suggest.Maybe their nokill sheltercan put a trap by my home.I wll however put the food and water at the back of the carport where Cookie and Buddy can't see at all.

Ok,

I sure don't want spraying around the house.So far all Cookie has done is growl.For a mute cat she sure was talking.It was a steady low growllllllll.Buddy was just wagging his tail.He is just a lover.Would probably like a playmate since Cookie won't play with him

bamber,

I get the feeling he is not a feral.Maybe I am wrong but he seems to sweet and will come up to me by the door.I hope we can find out if he has a home and is missing.We will put up notes at our supermarket and petsmart and see if maybe someone calls.He is so cute and it breaks my heart that I can't do more.We can't really physically do much as DH and I are both disabled.

RedTop1291311439.634236 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

Eight people in a nearby community are currently being treated for rabies, from a cat that hung around in their neighborhood, that they tried to befriend. A stray cat also infected several of my cousins outside cats with a virus; the stray died, two of her cats died, and two of her cats nearly died. Therefore, a stray cat would not be welcome at my house.

MalteseMom­ma1291313864.827481 PostsRegistered 8/15/2006Formally Corgimom

What to do??.....................heartbreaking isn't it? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

edited to add:

BTW: I have had a stray in my neighborhood for yrs.Lives outside, I think, and has survived many yrs.I do not know where he sleeps.A very pretty tuxedo kitty, that may be the father of the 2 kitties I found over a yr ago.I cannot get near him at all.I have tried.

I just got a quick glimspe of him a week ago .I know my friend around the corner feeds him,so I don't worry about that.He is very illusive.A few days ago he tore up a few of my little birds feeding at my feeder.Millions of feathers and tiny bones scattered everywhere. {#emotions_dlg.sad} For yrs he has stalked my feeders.Usually when noone is feeding ,I know he has been here stalking the feeders.

Last edited on 12/2/2010

Last edited on 12/2/2010

When you reach the end of your rope,you will find the hem of His garment

TheyCallMe­Amy1291317243.693111 PostsRegistered 3/23/2009MA

This happens in my yard way too much. I'm a bit of a drama queen, so I just assume they all need feeding and rescuing. If you get to the point where you can handle the cat, you could bring him to the vet to see if he has a microchip. He could just be a lost kitty. If he's not chipped, I'd suggest a no-kill shelter if you have one in your area. Of course, keeping him yourself would be my first choice. =)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

ok4ablonde21291319095.9578837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 12/2/2010 RedTop said:

Eight people in a nearby community are currently being treated for rabies, from a cat that hung around in their neighborhood, that they tried to befriend. A stray cat also infected several of my cousins outside cats with a virus; the stray died, two of her cats died, and two of her cats nearly died. Therefore, a stray cat would not be welcome at my house.

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} That's why you are supposed to isolate a new cat from the others for the best case scenario of 90 days, then having them tested at the vet. (Although most don't wait the 90 days, but I do). The cat must have had feline leukemia. My Bruiser had FIV but as long as he didn't bite the others and break the skin, they don't catch that.

ok4ablonde21291319284.5478837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest
On 12/2/2010 bamberkat13 said:
{#emotions_dlg.wub}

In your case, Stinky would be spraying the front door and Tiggi would be growling and throwing herself against it :)

Last night mommacat came close to the patio glass door knowing it was time for her dinner and Dinkie ran the length of the dining room and hit that door so it almost rattled. Whatever happened to everything I've read that Maine Coons are docile, sweet natured, lovable cats? Yeah, unless it comes to sharing their home with a strange cat :)

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Tiggi is docile, sweet natured, and lovable to dbf, not me. :)

bamberkat131291319627.0031112 PostsRegistered 3/5/2007Southwest
On 12/2/2010 ok4ablonde2 said:
On 12/2/2010 bamberkat13 said:
{#emotions_dlg.wub}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Tiggi is docile, sweet natured, and lovable to dbf, not me. :)

And, Dinkie rubs on me, loves on me, talks to me...when she wants a treat or to be brushed......and I am her slave!!! She lifts a paw towards me and I am talking baby-talk and forgetting whatever else I might be doing..all for her....lol! The rest of the time I am on ignore.

beauty jun­kie1291335682.2678244 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

All day we could not find this cat.Its cool out so our front door is open and have just the screen door closed.Well we just had a tap and meow at the door to let us know he is here.I put out food and water and tomorrow we are going to find if a shelter will help.We have put up notes saying found cat.he is an awfully smart cat. I am telling you he tapped at the door as if to say I am here.BTW Cookie is on the patio,heard the tap and didn't even care.I so want to find this baby a home if possible or at least get it spayed or neutered if need be.Hopefully one of the shelters we are going to will try and help.

AnikaBrodie1291341577.65314786 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The state of mountains and valleys

I have two feral cats that I feed every day. Both go throughout the neighborhood and get all the food they need or want. It sounds like the cat has adopted you. Perhaps he was dropped off by someone who could no longer care for him. Unfortunately, that happens sometimes. I would continue to feed him and let him come and go at will.

I can pet the one feral cat; the other one will not let me get too close. I have fed them for seven months. So, in time he may begin to trust you knowing you're the one who provides his food.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

Susan Loui­se1291342036.1233812 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007from Connecticut/live in Nebraska
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

All day we could not find this cat.Its cool out so our front door is open and have just the screen door closed.Well we just had a tap and meow at the door to let us know he is here.I put out food and water and tomorrow we are going to find if a shelter will help.We have put up notes saying found cat.he is an awfully smart cat. I am telling you he tapped at the door as if to say I am here.BTW Cookie is on the patio,heard the tap and didn't even care.I so want to find this baby a home if possible or at least get it spayed or neutered if need be.Hopefully one of the shelters we are going to will try and help.

You are doing all the right things! I wish more people who cared for stray/feral cats would do as much as you both...Blessings Smile

shelinmi1291342913.34398 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Lovely West Michigan

I see a lot of lost and found ads in the local newspaper and on craiglist.

Suzzeee1291345440.4732378 PostsRegistered 6/15/2007West Coast

I'm a total softie when it comes to animals and this is exactly how we came to have our adorable cat, Shadow. He just showed up at our back door one day and came on in - he was a little stand offish at first but was obvoiusly not feral and had a flea collar on as well. At first I thought it was a neighbor's kitty that had just moved but it wasn't. We put up flyers in the neighborhood (after I dashed to the store for a bowl, food and litter box), checked the pet stores/websites for notices and when no one replied after 10 days we deemed him our cat and named him! Off to the vet we went to get him checked out (I'd kept him inside while we were searching for his owner but he was clearly an inside/outside cat -- we also did not have any other animals to worry about). He was a little undernourished but otherwise healthy - we got all his shots and then got him neutered a few weeks later and he's been our little buddy ever since!

goldensadie1291345709.78397 PostsRegistered 10/25/2010

About 15 years ago we had a stray cat/kitten in our yard. I felt that it was probably hungry so I opened a can of tuna and fed him. The poor kitty was so hungry and of course we now had an outdoor cat. Evenually the raccoons and possums found the food and came every night to eat his food. Once you feed the cat, he/she is yours.

Page 1 of 2