Just-Reduced Clearance
154 Members and 12752 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Quarts vs Cups vs Liters vs Ounces - UGH!

Started 1281986778.083 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1282044131.533 by Txblond
replies

I get so frustrated when I'm trying to compare sizes of containers and bowls, etc.

Even within the SAME product line (such as Lock&Lock) the capacities of some items are listed in liters, some in cups and some in quarts!! Do they do this just to confuse us?

Why couldn't a standard measurement be used for everything, even if it meant listing fractions of the measurement?

I find this in grocery stores, too. When you're trying to compare the value per unit, some of the same products will be listed as $.xx per ounce, and others will be listed as $.xx per pound, or even $.xx per piece! That makes it so difficult to easily compare unit pricing!

Page 1 of 1
Txblond1281988340.2071715 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007

ITA - Can someone explain how 4 Liters compares with 4 Qts?? I think 4 qts. would be larger, but by how much?

WSfan1281988565.0732117 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

A liter is a little larger than a quart.

Brabls1281988674.71314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

The mental exercise will help keep your brain agile & help ward off Alzheimers.

Lynne0071281991989.863255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...

One Liter is 33.8 fluid ounces. Think of all those 1-liter water bottles everyone totes around. I realized if I just memorized that one relationship, figuring other metric to US standard liquid conversions would be easier.

One ounce is a hair over 28 grams (not talking gold, just dry measure food stuff).

And if you have an Android phone, get the "ConvertPad - Unit Converter" app. It's free and a super awesome resource. More conversions there than you could ever need. I am definitely going to use it alot, especially at work (lots of technical conversions in there, any engineer/chemist/physicists/scientists dream).

HTH!

Lynne

My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand --- Unknown
Fairly Medium foundation, Dark Brown eyes, Dark Espresso/Red highlighted hair....
BE since 1998; pekes & pugs, genealogy nut, cooking whiz, crochet, cross stitch

madzonie1282010722.3134957 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 8/16/2010 Brabls said:

The mental exercise will help keep your brain agile & help ward off Alzheimers.

LOL - I do a lot of other more interesting things to keep my brain in shape. I guess this hits a sore spot because I was never a fan of math! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

madzonie1282010885.8774957 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 8/16/2010 Lynne007 said:

One Liter is 33.8 fluid ounces. Think of all those 1-liter water bottles everyone totes around. I realized if I just memorized that one relationship, figuring other metric to US standard liquid conversions would be easier.

One ounce is a hair over 28 grams (not talking gold, just dry measure food stuff).

And if you have an Android phone, get the "ConvertPad - Unit Converter" app. It's free and a super awesome resource. More conversions there than you could ever need. I am definitely going to use it alot, especially at work (lots of technical conversions in there, any engineer/chemist/physicists/scientists dream).

HTH!

Lynne

I'm afraid I don't do the fancy multifunction phones. I have a simple little pay as you go model that I use just for - making phone calls! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I appreciate the conversion info.

But I just think it would be so decent for retailers of all kinds to make it easier for shoppers/consumers to comparison shop by using the same units of measure across the board. I don't think that's asking for a lot.

Lynne0071282017459.3473255 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010Land of Dorothy and Toto...

Yeah, I'm a math nerd, so I am always looking at numbers. Would be nice if all the products had both US Standard (as primary) and then the metric ref. Easier for everyone. ITA that it's a reasonable request for the consumer to make.

lynne

My idea of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand --- Unknown
Fairly Medium foundation, Dark Brown eyes, Dark Espresso/Red highlighted hair....
BE since 1998; pekes & pugs, genealogy nut, cooking whiz, crochet, cross stitch

TSDTS1282036830.607748 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006Sonoma County, CA

I usually look them up in the back of the Dictionary - Weights and Measures table.

Txblond1282044131.5331715 PostsRegistered 3/3/2007
On 8/16/2010 neeliec said:
On 8/16/2010 Lynne007 said:

HTH!

Lynne

I'm afraid I don't do the fancy multifunction phones. I have a simple little pay as you go model that I use just for - making phone calls! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I appreciate the conversion info.

But I just think it would be so decent for retailers of all kinds to make it easier for shoppers/consumers to comparison shop by using the same units of measure across the board. I don't think that's asking for a lot.

ITA again neeliec - I don't know anything about the fancy phones & have the pay as you go model also. Thanks for the info ladies. I guess I had it backwards, so a Liter is more than a Quart? The reason I am asking - I have two Multi Cookers in mind. One is a 4 Liter & the other is 4.2 qts, so trying to figure out the size comparison. Thanks WS fan for your info.

Last edited on 8/17/2010

Last edited on 8/17/2010

Last edited on 8/17/2010

Page 1 of 1