Just-Reduced Clearance
122 Members and 10195 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

How do you cook 'moist' boneless skinless breasts?

Started 1280076748.71 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1280531091.28 by Baxjaxmom

I bought a bunch of boneless skinless breasts for a great price.

Thinking I'd use them in chicken and rice soup, or chicken salad, etc....

No matter how I cook them they come out tough.

I've baked them, boiled them in chicken stock, and grilled them.

Do you have a trick for getting them moist?

Page 1 of 2
csv3201280077280.236724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

I quit buying boneless chicken breasts they are so dry, the bone in keeps them so moist.

I do buy chicken tenders strips for fast sauting for fajitas, but those cook so quickly they don't dry out, especially if you marinate them overnight first.

saucyabc1280077359.994 PostsRegistered 7/25/2010

The trick is to not overcook them. If you're used to cooking dark meat or chicken with the skin on you may be overcooking them. Also, marinating them before cooking will help to infuse some moisture. I like to sear them first, to lock in the moisture, then add them to whatever I'm making.

Hope that helps!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Angie

Chuckr1280085414.7431162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area

You might want to try to "Brine" them for a while, Smile

if you're not worried about salt/sugar, etc:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/70/Brining

Rap21280085753.79713235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Bake in the oven in a casserole with a cover. This will keep the meat moist. Haven't made this in a while but I used to dip boneless, skinless chicken breasts in butter, then coat with equal parts parmesean cheese and bread crumbs. Bake in the oven at 350 but don't remember amount of time. I now cook my meat on stovetop or George Foreman.

Dachsie1280085932.462607 PostsRegistered 6/4/2006

There was just a recipe for KFC cloned grilled chicken and it involved brining the chicken first. From what I have see on the Food Network, soaking meat in a brine solution first very much helps the flavor and moisture of the meat. It kind of pulls out the natural moisure fromt he meant and replaces it with salt/sugar brine water.

Alaskan Mom1280086201.6231605 PostsRegistered 10/8/2007Alaska

Here try this recipe, they turn out moist and really tasty!! I had posted it awhile back and a few of the Ladies tried it and liked it alot...~

You can also use breasts, or just thighs---I've always skinned the chicken

Enjoy~!

Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chip Chicken:

1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper
1 package of sour cream and onion potato chips, crushed
1 chicken cut up into 8 pieces--or 8 breasts-thighs etc

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with a nonstick cooking spray.

In a shallow bowl, combine dressing, garlic powder and ground pepper; mix well.

Place crushed potato chips in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken pieces into the dressing mixture and then in the potato chips, coating completely.

Place on the baking sheet and bake 35-40 min or until chicken is no longer pink!

Let rest 5 minutes before serving~

~ Nothing shows a man’s character more than what he laughs at. ~

Harpa1280086457.837557 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I agree that the secret is not to overcook.

And also to the oven casserole method: I usually time 375 - 400 degrees for one hour. If I'm making a chicken spread, I like to bake 15 minutes more. Of course, mine are always deluged in one cup of sherry! Butter, EVOO, (seasonings) and that magic cup of sherry! Sometimes I put a rice or stuffing mix overtop, sometimes sprinkle baby carrots around the edge of the dish.

Often I'll make a chick breast in the George Foreman for lunch for salad. I like seasonings (spices = super foods), so I season in the a.m. w/ a spash of tarragon vinegar & EVOO; then my seasonings on both sides; let rest in refrig. By noon, I heat the GF - 2 minutes on one side; 2 minutes on the other and it's out o' there! Let rest before slicing.

stilltamn8r1280086524.6113953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

brine 'em

stilltamn8r1280086525.63713953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

brine 'em

fashionfav­es1280086741.663018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)

Probably not the healthiest thing to do but I wrap a slice of bacon around them and either bake, grill or fry them. My fav is maple bacon. YUM! It IS the easiest thing I do...{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

Nightowlz1280086994.3539569 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I made some boneless skinless chicken breasts on the grill. I used a tinfoil pan that looks like a cookie sheet that has holes all over the bottom of it. I also bought one that is a non-stick pan that looks the same. I brushed on olive oil & some Emeril chicken rub & placed on the tinfoil pan that I sprayed with Pam & cooked about 5 mins., turned it & cooked about another 5 mins. brushed with bbq sauce & turned & cooked for about 5 mins, brushed with bbq sauce & turned & cooked another 5 mins. & they were done, juicy tender yummy. If you don't want any bbq sauce you don't have to use it. This chicken crunch recipe turns out really good made in the oven. We really like it. Enjoy!!!

Chicken Crunch

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
1/2 cup milk
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast half (about 1 1/4 pounds)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir 1/3 cup soup and 1/4 cup milk in a shallow dish. Coat the chicken with the flour. Dip the chicken in the soup mixture. Coat the chicken with the stuffing. Place the chicken onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with the butter.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Heat the remaining soup and milk in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Serve the soup mixture with the chicken.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

chickenbutt1280087730.04323840 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I just bread them (flour, egg, bread crumbs/parmesan, in a 3 station deal) and pan saute them in a mixture of butter & olive oil. Works great and no dried out chicken.

As Angie already said, overcooking is a big no no.

I actually like to cut mine into strips and do the breading thing. That way I can get them cooked w/o having to cook them for more than a few minutes. Otherwise, I would do like Rapunzel mentioned, in the oven. That way you can cook them at a fairly low temp but be able to keep moisture in also.

When I see them on sale I get one club-pack and I usually just cut them all into strips, freeze them in piles of one chick breast per pile, and vacuum seal them that way. When they are cut into strips and breaded, one chick breast is enough to feed two people. Or, just me if that is all I'm eating.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

catlady61280088641.517203 PostsRegistered 4/6/2010

dip cutlets in either flour or corn starch then dip in egg mixture, i add lemon juice to my eggs, then bread crumbs and fry in canola oil. i find the corn starch works best, very juicy, moist chicken. i also do veggies that way. yummy

to grill, olive oil, seasoning and lemons, slice a lemon squeeze onto cutlets, then put into pan while grilling, squeeze lemon as you cook, chicken will be very moist.

you can also place cleaned cutlets into bowl with lemon juice before cooking, but not if you're making soup.

works everytime, good luck.......

granddi1280094885.33815 PostsRegistered 9/8/2009

For catlady6 cutlets, just put the chicken between some plastic wrap and pound them flat. i use the flat side of a hammer type meat tenderizer or you can use a heavy skillet, rolling pen. You can do lots with these cutlets and they stay moist bc of short cooking time. Love chicken fried chicken with cream gravy.

Poodlepet1280094975.7773459 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

My best friend for cooking chicken breasts any way-is a meat thermometer. Once it hits 175, I take them out (they do continue cooking for a little bit once removed from the heat source)-and that's it. I do chicken breasts all sorts of ways-even chicken tenders-but I've always got my meat thermometer. By the way, it's considered cooked at 180 degrees-and it depends on how you are making them, but ever since I've started using a meat thermometer, I am a much better cook.

Poodlepet

RedConvert­ibleGirl1280095585.10314103 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I have cooked them several ways, and the only way they come out moist is when my SO fries them in a cast iron pan. Regular old cast iron - not one of the enameled ones. I don't know how he does it, but they come out moist and juicy every time. I think he just uses a little bit of olive oil and that's it.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

catlady61280096716.283203 PostsRegistered 4/6/2010
On 7/25/2010 granddi said:

For catlady6 cutlets, just put the chicken between some plastic wrap and pound them flat. i use the flat side of a hammer type meat tenderizer or you can use a heavy skillet, rolling pen. You can do lots with these cutlets and they stay moist bc of short cooking time. Love chicken fried chicken with cream gravy.

my sister pounds cutlets for cordon bleu, very delicious. i butterfly them for chicken rollups, i really need a meat tenderizer, you would think someone would have bought me one after all these years of cooking LOL LOL. guess i'll have to do it.

mdgrammy1280105566.88678 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Marylands Eastern Shore

Thanks!

I have enough chicken to try ALL your suggestions!

Wish I could have you all over!!!

whispy1280105969.941531 PostsRegistered 8/2/2009

I cook a lot of my chicken in foil or parchment individual pouches with veggies. It rarely comes out dry because the veggies emit a lot of moisture as they flavor the meat.

TN halfback1280108591.4072691 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

This is one of my favorites: Chicken & Noodles

3 Boneless, Skinless chicken breast halves

2 Eggs, beaten

Flavored Breadcrumbs

1 can Golden Mushroom soup plus one can of water (not Cream of Mushroom soup)

Slice chicken horizontally so you end up with thinner chicken breasts. Salt & pepper chicken to taste. Dip in egg & breadcrumbs. In large skillet fry in small amount of oil until brown on both sides. Remove chicken from pan. Add soup & can of water. Whisk over medium heat until well blended. Add chicken back to pan. Cover & simmer on low for 15 minutes. Serve over buttered egg noodles.

I hope you try this. So easy to make & sooooooo good.

bobhurley1280155979.57784 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005

Chicken parmigiana: Pound the breasts to a uniform thickness so they cook evenly, as thin as you like. Dip in flour, egg and bread crumbs, shaking off the excess each time. Saute over medium heat just until light golden brown (They'll finish cooking in the oven). Put some mozzarella (and a pinch of parmesan) on top (no sauce yet or they'll get soggy). Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven just until the cheese melts. Sauce them when you take them out of the oven.

Last edited on 7/26/2010

Last edited on 7/26/2010

duke mom1280156906.4431442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009

When I make my Chicken Salad I always add some of the chicken broth that the chicken cooked in back into the mixture. It gives it the moisture that it needs and you only have to add a small amount of mayo.

I make baked chicken packets with thin slices of potatoes, onion, and carrots layered on top of the boneless, skinless, breast. I use a little olive oil and a couple of thin slices of butter and everything stays very moist.

Marsha20031280161139.4674488 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007
On 7/25/2010 Poodlepet said:

My best friend for cooking chicken breasts any way-is a meat thermometer. Once it hits 175, I take them out (they do continue cooking for a little bit once removed from the heat source)-and that's it. I do chicken breasts all sorts of ways-even chicken tenders-but I've always got my meat thermometer. By the way, it's considered cooked at 180 degrees-and it depends on how you are making them, but ever since I've started using a meat thermometer, I am a much better cook.

Poodlepet

Actually, boneless chicken breasts only need to reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees Farenheit according to the FDA. Consequently, I grill them in my stove top grill pan until the thermometer reaches 165 degrees F before letting them rest. They are always tender and juicy. It's easier to get consistent cooking if the breast is somewhat the same thickness throughout, so I usually butterfly them or buy the thin-sliced breasts.

crdlb1280161341.44713106 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

I steam mine on a bed of herbs with onions and citrus. They stay very moist as compared to other methods of cooking. I have an electric steamer which I love. It's a low fat way to produce tender fish or chicken quickly and effortlessly.

CaChica1280251495.1275895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

Would you please share the kind of steamer you have? I would like to purchase one since we are trying to eat more veg. and this sounds perfect. Thanks in advance. : )

Page 1 of 2