Maxi Dresses
139 Members and 9988 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Debbie Meyer Green Boxes - Instructions?

Started 1277928346.95 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1278287174.607 by wagirl

I just got the 19-piece set I ordered from HSN; it was wrapped in bubble wrap and dumped in a raggedy cardboard shipping box - no instructions included. Does anyone have these and if so can you please give me an idea of how to use them? Do you have to wash and dry the foods before you put them in the box?

We have been eating a lot of fresh fruits/veggies (Weight Watchers "0 points" stuff Smile) and I am getting tired of mushy carrots, green beans, etc. It seems like they only keep a day or two in the fridge in their original plastic bags since the condensation builds up so fast in the bag, but when I try to rinse and dry them them before putting away they dry out. Not much better luck with the fruits either. I'm hoping these boxes work as well as the demos on TV claimed!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
wagirl1277929281.424133 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

First off-don't wash your veggies/fruit until you plan to serve/cook them. Fresh leafy greens like spinach do have alot of mud in them so I do rinse that but use the spinach within a few days. Now for the green boxes--I have a bunch of them and LOVE them!!! I have the bags as well and love them too. What I do is fold up a paper towel and put it on the bottom of each box then put the item on that and then another paper towel over top and put the lid on. That way the moisture goes into the towel and not on your produce. I do that with the bags to. I put all my veg/fruit in the boxes. I can keep a head of iceburg lettuce in a green bag for 2 weeks and just have to trim off the brown edges. I know there has been other bad comments about these items like the smell from the boxes when they arrived, but I didn't experience that at all. They do take up more room in the refer but I think they are great!

froid1277931462.517421 PostsRegistered 11/18/2004

Thank you so much, your explanation is a big help. I'm so glad to hear that they work for you and I can't wait to try them out! I have been so frustrated trying to keep up with the fruit/veggie supply - I hesitate to buy larger quantities since they don't keep well but there are 3 adults eating a ton of rabbit food for lunch and dinner so it seems like I am always at the grocery!

wagirl1277945808.244133 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

froid--you are welcome. I buy alot of produce this time of year,too, and these boxes helps keep things fresh so I don't end up throwing them away.

HoosierGirl1277947365.967564 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

if you use the paper towel idea above, they are great ;)

I am the HoosierGirl, and I approve this message!!

RebeccaJ1277947889.31728 PostsRegistered 2/28/2008Northeast Georgia

A friend gave me these for my birthday. I use them often and like them! In spring, I kept a container of fresh strawberries in the fridge for 3 weeks!!! Unheard of as they usually go bad in a day or two. I used a paper towel only on the top of the berries and changed it out a couple of times.

They are also dishwasher safe on the top rack. I never use the "dry" option on my dishwasher but I wouldn't recommend that for any plastic.

HTH!

froid1278019259.52421 PostsRegistered 11/18/2004

HoosierGirl - thanks! I'm a translpanted Hooiser - born in Indianapolis and lived there till I was in 6th grade, also went to college in Indy!

Rebecca - thank you! I forgot to ask about putting them in the dishwasher so that's good to know. Three weeks for strawberries is awesome - I am looking forward to saving $ by buying larger packages and cutting down on grocery stops (I rarely walk out with just the couple items I went there for!)

Beebee21278185313.2473779 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

You may already know this from the TV demos, but they don't recommend putting more than one kind of fruit or vegetable, bread product, whatever in any one container. I have a couple of the large containers and I'm always tempted to add some broccoli, for example, to the celery when the celery starts thinning down.

kiddo1278209366.95310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Wipe the entire inside of each of those things dry -- every day. If not, then every other day.

This is because they cause the veggies to "weep." That makes the air inside wet. The wetness in that air condenses along the entire inside of those containers.

I sent mine back. They had actually caused the problem that they were supposed to solve.

It just got to be TOO MUCH WORK for me to maintain the insides of those containers every day.. every other day.

I wish you well. Hope they work for you, anyhow!

Remember. Wipe the insides of those containers at LEAST every OTHER DAY.

{#emotions_dlg.huh}

p.s. I tried that sandwiching the veggies between double-sheets of paper towels. That didn't work well, at all. Got damp paper towels.. that stuck to the veggies.

NOTE -- I did NOT wash the veggies before putting them into Meyer's boxes. Still.. the "best" thing that happened was that I wasted gobs of paper towels!!

NOTE #2 -- They're too big to fit on my dishwasher's top rack.

Last edited on 7/3/2010

Last edited on 7/3/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

wagirl1278255039.354133 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
On 7/3/2010 scribo said:

Wipe the entire inside of each of those things dry -- every day. If not, then every other day.

This is because they cause the veggies to "weep." That makes the air inside wet. The wetness in that air condenses along the entire inside of those containers.

I sent mine back. They had actually caused the problem that they were supposed to solve.

It just got to be TOO MUCH WORK for me to maintain the insides of those containers every day.. every other day.

I wish you well. Hope they work for you, anyhow!

Remember. Wipe the insides of those containers at LEAST every OTHER DAY.

{#emotions_dlg.huh}

p.s. I tried that sandwiching the veggies between double-sheets of paper towels. That didn't work well, at all. Got damp paper towels.. that stuck to the veggies.

NOTE -- I did NOT wash the veggies before putting them into Meyer's boxes. Still.. the "best" thing that happened was that I wasted gobs of paper towels!!

NOTE #2 -- They're too big to fit on my dishwasher's top rack.

Last edited on 7/3/2010

That is alot of work--I've had these boxes for over a year and have never had to wipe out the boxes. When I use the produce in the boxes I do replace the paper towel but never as often as everyday or two. Maybe your refer is off somehow. I put the controls in my refer to low humidity and I also use my produce up in a timely fashion, so there isn't time to let the moisture collect.

SuziQ21278258284.6432457 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

Good to know.....I just got mine a few days ago also. Lot's of fresh fruit and veggies this time of year here in Oregon and they go bad so quickly, I had to do something. I hope they do work well for us too.

Thanks for the tips with using the paper towels. Now getting the fridge all straightened out.....that may be the worst job. Hope they leave me with enough room for everything.

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

purrmom1278285386.6133399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

Got bad reviews in Consumer Reports & also her green bags. They said the only thing that didn't spoil was bananas. I bought her green bags when they first came out & they didn't keep my salad any better than any other plastic bag. They're stuck in the back of the cabinet now, probably never to be used again.

wagirl1278287174.6034133 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004
On 7/4/2010 purrmom said:

Got bad reviews in Consumer Reports & also her green bags. They said the only thing that didn't spoil was bananas. I bought her green bags when they first came out & they didn't keep my salad any better than any other plastic bag. They're stuck in the back of the cabinet now, probably never to be used again.

I have had really good luck with mine, as I stated above. Can't explain why but I do and use them all the time; the bags too.

Page 1 of 1