Early Access
128 Members and 10704 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

RECYCLING K-cups

Started 1270930124.113 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1271112466.43 by Baxjaxmom

Does anyone recycle used k-cups?  I feel like a criminal putting so many (up to 8 a day) kcups in the garbage.  I have tried taking the foil lid off, and pulling out the filter with the tea or coffee . WHAT A MESS!  Has anyone figured out a way that is semi-mess free?  If a person uses even 5 cups a day, that is 35 cups a week, 140 cups A MONTH. That is 1680 a YEAR.  You'd think Keurig would figure something out.  I see the whole " disposable diaper" in the landfill scenerio building up.  LOL.  KCUPS IN LANDFILL

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

Page 1 of 1
kelseygirl1270930288.521220 PostsRegistered 6/2/2009

Don't use the k cups after you finish them why don't you use the little cup thar came with it and put your regular coffee in it.

Kelsey

shoekitty1270931508.8312557 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

kelseygirl, sadly I hate the "my Kcup".  It makes the most horrible cup of coffee.  I just can't get it right.  Spent a lot of time on that one.

Auntie Mame

Slainte1270931585.727195 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007

I wish the k-cups were recyclable, too. I take the foil off and scrape the coffee out in a LnL to go to compost then either rinse and reuse them with my k-cap or, when I get too many to keep and reuse, press them together one inside the other to take up the smallest possible space in the landfill. I like to use the my k-cap, but I also like the ease of throwing a GM Wild Mountain Blueberry or Island Coconut k-cup in the machine for the first cup in the morning. Later I'll do the my k-cap when I'm more awake. I have read GMCR is working on finding a recyclable k-cup, but it's hard to find something recyclable that will take the hot water of the Keurig.

The my k-cap is a plastic circle with a hole in the center that fits into the empty k-cup. Google "My K-Cap" for where to get them. I have, and use, three. I think the taste is comparable to the original k-cup taste.

Last edited on 4/10/2010

Last edited on 4/10/2010

4uthebest1270937078.913526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I hated the My KCup as well and that is why I modified it as I have as I hated the K Cap that I purchased too.  With the modification I used I can have coffee as strong or stronger than a regular K Cup and I sure am saving a lot of money on coffee when I grind my own and brew it with the modification to the My KCup.

On 4/10/2010 shoekitty said:

kelseygirl, sadly I hate the "my Kcup".  It makes the most horrible cup of coffee.  I just can't get it right.  Spent a lot of time on that one.

shoekitty1270937624.25712557 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Do you just put the old rinsed kcup into the "my Kcup"?  I heard you cut the lip off the used kcup.  Someone posted instructions here once, but they were so complicated and long, it just confused me so I never tried it.

Auntie Mame

Idacat1270939433.5734707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 4/10/2010 Slainte said:

when I get too many to keep and reuse, press them together one inside the other to take up the smallest possible space in the landfill. 

Do you know how ridiculous this is? Waste is super compacted before put in a land fill. Stacking them together is pointless and negates the ease of using a product like Keurig.

If you are that concerned about adding to landfills and being environmentally responsible, just use a small drip machine and make single cups.

Compared to disposable diapers, which no one gives a second thought anymore (and which are an environmental abomination) K-cups are an inconsequential triviality, so few used, so small an amount of refuse per unit.

Slainte1270940474.637195 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007

Maybe so, but it makes me feel a little bit more responsible. Using a regular coffee pot didn't work for me, lots of coffee and $$ thrown away.

straitgirl1270940636.37721381 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

Nope, just toss it.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Sooner1271019149.68714847 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't think a thing about it.  I'd be better off to NOT order stuff I don't need, thereby saving on packing to get it to me, fuel to use getting it to me, and such.  Or about a gillion other things than k-cups.

Oma1271027868.54364 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007Biloxi, MS

My Keurig never made the coffee hot enough for my taste. I had programmed it for the highest setting. I also did not like to have to throw so many K-cups in the landfill, so my Keurig is sitting out in the Garage and I am using my old Cuisinart Coffeemaker again.

I used  the "my Kcup" too, it was just not hot and strong enough.

Hope you all have a good day.

weiserwald

sheista1271027992.3272515 PostsRegistered 1/21/2006

I just toss mine.

My previous machine was a cuisinart grind and brew. That was a mess!  Not to mention all the water that was needed to clean that thing out daily. 

I appreciate the ease and great coffee and move on.

rosiemoto1271031618.117718 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Gulf Coast

We LOVE our Keurig, and wouldn't trade it for the world, so my husband has tried several ways to recycle the cups.  His latest (and best) is to use the little plastic cups as seed planters.  So far so good!

millieshops1271033477.09314709 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I hope Keurig finds a way to make recyclable K-cups, but in the meantime my other contributions to saving the environment - no kids, no SUV's, 100,000 miles before trading in my small cars  - will have to do.  One reason I love my Keurig is its ease, so 2 Kcups every day are heading to the landfill until further notice.. 

MakeUp Ma­iden1271094285.847228 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010

Hi. I use the same K-cup up to 4 times, these K-Cup coffees are soooo strong for me. I'm a veritable coffee wimp!  I just try to match up the initial puncture hole in the K-cup.

Also, when finished, I open up the K-cup and use the grounds as an exfoliator, being the Cosmetics Junkie I am. There are cosmetics that ADD caffeine to the creams, to envigorate the skin (such as 100% Pure brand Eye Cream) so why not just exfoliate face and body with the used coffee grinds. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Baxjaxmom1271112466.432508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Yes, I absolutely recycle my K-Cups by using both the "EZ Cup" and the matching filters and use my own coffee and I also have the "My Kaps" disks which fits in place of the foil. Once I realized I had this option, I started saving all my used K-cups, removing the foil, rinse, let dry and fill with my own favorite brand of coffee and now use them (I use each several times) exclusively with the My Kaps disks. I have found that the Tea K-cups WILL NOT fit with the My Kaps disk, but the coffee K-cups work great. I just buy my favorite brand of coffee, spoon it into the cups and brew away. Using the "used" K-Cup, you do not remove the filter already in it. Just rinse and allow to dry. I'm finding that I prefer using my favorite brands rather than paying for the original K-Cups. I could never find a brand of the coffee they sell that had the right strength. Mine always tasted really watered down and just did not provide that early morning "good cup of coffee". I bought both the EZ Cup  and filters designed for it as well as the My-Kaps through Amazon.com. I have saved a ton of money since I stopped ordering the K-Cups. Oh, one more thing. I  received the "My Cup" or whatever it's called that Keurig makes as a part of the purchase when I got my Keurig. I have tried that with the little mesh filter that came with it and even it does not work as well as using the EZ Cup and My Kaps. Yes, it's a tiny bit extra work, but is worth it to me in the savings, but especially, the taste of the cup of coffee I get. The EZ Cup is shaped exactly like a K-Cup. You place the tiny little filter inside and follow the directions for placing the lid on it and drop it right into the slot where a K-Cup would go and brew. Both EZ Cup and My Kaps work great!

Baxjaxmom

Page 1 of 1