TSV(R) Preview
163 Members and 15619 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Can you freeze corned beef--in the package?

Started 1268367832.26 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1268755534.03 by Daysdee

I'm thinking about buying and extra one and popping it in the freezer.  Have any of you done this?  Can you just put the vac pack it comes in and let it freeze?

Seems to me like it would work, but then again I'm not keen on finding out if it doesn't (maybe exploded corned beef packages frozen to the inside walls?).

I think I'll cook one in the crock pot again this year.  But maybe I'll get out the Le Creuset and do that!

Page 1 of 1
WSfan1268368665.3272122 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sorry I can't help, because I have never done this, but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to. You might want to place the corned beef in another plastic freezer bag though, just for extra protection.

cherry1268369332.32316348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005

I do it all the time..It is fine

flowerlady­too1268373515.377504 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009MN

I've done it for many years and it keeps great in it's original packaging in the freezer. We have an old chest type deep freeze and a few years ago I had one that slipped down to the bottom and was overlooked. It was at least a year old, maybe two when we finally found it. I figured it would be no good after being years. It was not freezer burned, and when I cooked it, it tasted great, just like I had bought at the store that day.  I usually buy 3-4 each year and freeze all but one, so we can have them year round.  Enjoy :-)

duke mom1268400981.8831442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009

I buy several this time of year when they are on sale for St.Patrick's Day. I just leave them in their original packaging and freeze them. I've never have any problems doing it this way. I have a foodsaver but the brisket that I buy at the grocery store is always sealed just as good in the original package, so I leave it alone.

loveangel11268404022.6362 PostsRegistered 2/22/2010

its really fine ..

Sooner1268539062.4115170 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

A HUGE thanks to all of you!  What a good thing to know! 

crdlb1268539741.56713162 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Cooked mine for tonight's dinner. I chop carrots and onions for the pan, put in the corned beef fat side up, pour in a cup each of malt vinegar and stout. Add water to just cover, then throw in some coriander seed, bay leaves, mustard seeds, dill seeds, allspice, & peppercorns. Let it simmer for 2.5 hours, then add your veggies. Simmer until cooked. Yummy!!

Scruffysmom1268595210.6731440 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007

Thanks, I bought one this AM, cooking it now.   DH claims he doesn't like it so it's all mine.  I had to go back to the store for the cabbage I'd forgotten and bought another.   It's now hiding out in the freezer until I get the yen for corned beef again.   

Filly671268595302.3871881 PostsRegistered 12/26/2008

Good to know for the future.  Of course I cooked both of ours yesterday.  Couldn't wait and one was very small so I just threw it in the PC with the larger one.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

sharpie1268601367.02617 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Not a problem at all.  I also buy a few when they are now on sale and then cook them through out the year.  Works great!

kiddo1268604231.61310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I've been wondering the same thing!!  Thanks, everybody, for your reassurances that freezing the corned beef in its original package.. just as it is.. is fine!

I've never cooked a corned beef.  And by the time I decided that I wanted to try cooking one... I found out by surprise that that corned beef isn't sold unless it's the first couple of weeks of March.

So, I decided that the next time March came around, that this year is the year that I'd cook my very first one.

The local Safeway had many in the open freezer casket in the Meat aisle, so I asked the meat guy who had just emerged from the back butchering area how long they'd be for sale.  He said that Safeway ALWAYS has corned beef available.  And pointed to the Meat aisle's wall that has all their meat that's not in the Meat aisle's open freezer casket.

He did say that the price per pound on the stickers was less than their normal price per pound.  But that price was temporary.  It would likely go back up to "normal."  And most likely would get lower per pound closer to St. Patrick's Day.

Therefore.. I asked him if I should get one with more fat on it... or less fat?  He said that he prefers the ones with less fat... that more fat did not mean "better" or "tastier."  It just meant "more fat."  

So, I selected one that was 1.5 pounds -- on sale for $1.99 a pound -- to try cooking before St. Patrick's Day sales hit. 

I notice that according to the grocery store ads today, that Safeway has corned beef on sale from March 10 to March 16 -- for $1.49 a pound.  While supplies last.

Safeway Corned Beef
1.49 lb
Points. While Supplies Last. Don't Forget Irish Soda Bread
Club Price SAVE up to $1.00 lb.

So, now that I'm reassured that freezing corned beef in the bag that they come in will work just fine, tonight I'm just going to go to Safeway and pick up a few more to put directly up in my fridge's freezer. 

Again, thanks!

Smile

Last edited on 3/14/2010

Last edited on 3/14/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

kiddo1268604500.55710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 3/14/2010 scribo said:

I've been wondering the same thing!!  Thanks, everybody, for your reassurances that freezing the corned beef in its original package.. just as it is.. is fine!

I've never cooked a corned beef.  Can't even remember the last time I've ever had it!  I do remember that I like it very muc.

And by the time I decided that I wanted to try cooking one... I found out by surprise that that corned beef isn't sold unless it's the first couple of weeks of March.

So, I decided that the next time March came around, that this year is the year that I'd cook my very first one.

The local Safeway had many in the open freezer casket in the Meat aisle, so I asked the meat guy who had just emerged from the back butchering area how long they'd be for sale.  He said that Safeway ALWAYS has corned beef available.  And pointed to the Meat aisle's wall that has all their meat that's not in the Meat aisle's open freezer casket.

He did say that the price per pound on the stickers was less than their normal price per pound.  But that price was temporary.  It would likely go back up to "normal."  And most likely would get lower per pound closer to St. Patrick's Day.

Therefore.. I asked him if I should get one with more fat on it... or less fat?  He said that he prefers the ones with less fat... that more fat did not mean "better" or "tastier."  It just meant "more fat."  

So, I selected one that was 1.5 pounds -- on sale for $1.99 a pound -- to try cooking before St. Patrick's Day sales hit. 

I notice that according to the grocery store ads today, that Safeway has corned beef on sale from March 10 to March 16 -- for $1.49 a pound.  While supplies last.

Safeway Corned Beef
1.49 lb
Points. While Supplies Last. Don't Forget Irish Soda Bread
Club Price SAVE up to $1.00 lb.

So, now that I'm reassured that freezing corned beef in the bag that they come in will work just fine, tonight I'm just going to go to Safeway and pick up a few more to put directly up in my fridge's freezer. 

Again, thanks!

Smile

http://www.twitter.com/frdave

Last edited on 3/14/2010

Last edited on 3/14/2010

Last edited on 3/14/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

crdlb1268604521.8213162 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Scribo:  FYI most people prefer "Flat Cut" as is it better than "points" which is what your ad is for. See if they have any flat cut. I think you'll be happier.

flowerlady­too1268720720.613504 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009MN

>So, I selected one that was 1.5 pounds -- on sale for $1.99 a pound -- to try cooking >before St. Patrick's Day sales hit.

That is so small, and they shrink while cooking! I hope you have enough once it's done cooking :-)  I prefer to buy the flat cut ones, though I will take a point cut in a pinch. And I like a little fat on mine, not a lot, but a thin layer on top is good. It adds flavor to the meat and mostly boils away. Bought five really nice ones at Econo foods last week, about 4-5 lbs each. Four went in the freezer and we cooked the other one for dinner tonight. Lots left for a couple more meals for hubby and I and at least a couple reuben sandwiches too!

Last edited on 3/16/2010

Last edited on 3/16/2010

Daysdee1268755534.0319021 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 3/11/2010 cherry said:

I do it all the time..It is fine

I do it also.  Works out fine.

Page 1 of 1