Better Than Black Friday
69 Members and 16549 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Can I cook a partially frozen turkey breast in my pressure cooker?

Started 1348408275.157 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1348417603.843 by Foodie 7
replies

I want to make Sunday dinner today and my turkey breast has not totally thawed out. Can I still cook it in my Cuisinart pressure cooker? Does anyone have a actual recipe that advises how much water to use, etc.?

~SEA~

Page 1 of 1
Zhills1348409814.9731450 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

I posted this on another thread yesterday....

When I googled the subject, I found this info....from a former QVC forum

Joy, if you must use frozen meat the following information is from Miss Vickie http://missvickie.com/howto/meat/frozenmeats.htm

(If you check out her entire site (www.missvickie.com) you will find more information about pressure cooking than you thought could possibly exist.) I don't think I would do beans at the same time, I would cook one then the other combining at the end. (Answering a question?)

If using separate, individual cuts of frozen meats that are up to 1 inch thick, the cooking time does not need to be altered. Pressure will not be achieved until the internal temperature in the pot is 40 degrees higher than the boiling point of water. So if the recipe states the meat be cooked for 10 minutes after pressure has been achieved, it will still be the same, but it will take longer to come to pressure.

I don't recommend cooking larger cuts of frozen meats such as a roast or whole chicken. Larger`cuts will require increased cooking times of up to one third more than usual, and the results may not be the same when compared to meats that were thawed (or at least partially thawed) and browned before cooking.

If you must cook meat roasts that are frozen"

§For frozen Beef or Pork - add 5 minutes to the cooking time for each inch of thickness.

§For a frozen chicken, add 1 minute per pound for a whole bird. For frozen Turkey breast, legs or thighs, add 4 minutes per inch of thickness.

Always use a meat thermometer to check for doneness when cooking thick cuts of meat.

Posting by: Marp01/06/2011 at 12:10 PM12793 Posts Registered 10/6/2004Western NC

From another PC site:

It is not recommended to pressure-cook large pieces of frozen meat and poultry.To pressure-cook thick pieces of frozen meat like beef or pork roasts, it will take up to one-third more than the normal cooking time, and the results will not taste very good.Browning thawed or partially thawed meat before pressure-cooking significantly increases the flavour of the meat.

The best way, since it costs the least amount of money (in energy consumption) and tastes the best, is to plan ahead and thaw the frozen meat or frozen chicken in a refrigerator.Another way is to use the thawing function of a microwave oven.You can also use the cold-water thawing method before pressure-cooking large cuts of meat. Hope this helps.

Roni1348410732.917640 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007Fort Lauderdale

Bob Warden's cookbook says: Turkey Breast 3-5 lbs. 2C. liquid for 40 min on

high pressure. natural release. IF FROZEN ADD 15min.

Hope this helps!

Foodie 71348417603.843749 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

Or seaswirl, you could complete the thawing in your microwave - assuming you have one and that it has a defrost cycle. If it's already partially thawed, I'd set the microwave timer to less than it would take if the turkey breast were fully frozen - after all you only want to thaw it, not begin to cook it.

Page 1 of 1