Guaranteed Delivery
131 Members and 18064 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Just got my Technique Pressure Cooker

Started 1348258699.847 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1348447872.733 by Cheryl in Ohio

The UPS guy says "there must have been a good deal on these things, I delivered 7 of them so far today".

But besides that, I ordered the blue and it's going to look perfect next to my Vitamix and Kitchenaid mixer. Won't be able to cook in it until either tomorrow or Sunday (have left overs in the fridge). Hopefully it works like it did on TV. No mention in the manual on being PFOA free though, so I don't know what the true story is on that as they never mentioned it in any of the presentations. (I would think that if it was they would've been shouting it from the roof tops as to sell more of them though). It's my very first pressure cooker so I hope all goes well with it, I don't really like returning things. Time will tell I guess.

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Page 1 of 2
lacey11348259447.2972364 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Well, I'm dying to hear,(read) how it works. I thought that someone called and asked Meredith about that PFOA and she said it was free of that. You're right, though, you think they would be promoting it more. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Lottina1348259696.9871370 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007Georgia

I ordered one and then cancelled it. I wanted it but since I have one smaller, I decided to forgo it for now. Let us know how you like it. I love the pressure cooker food.

Lottina

Lottina1348259778.9871370 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007Georgia
On 9/21/2012 Lottina said:

I ordered one and then cancelled it. I wanted it but since I have one smaller, I decided to forego it for now. Let us know how you like it. I love the pressure cooker food.

Lottina

lacey11348260762.5872364 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009
  • "Better still, this nonstick is PFOA-free AND metal utensil safe. I mention both of those qualities together because recently there’s been a surge of PFOA-free nonstick products on the market. Trouble is that these nonstick items are NOT metal utensil safe, which means they’ll deteriorate rapidly and no longer perform. Technique's nonstick is PFOA-free AND durable enough to handle metal utensils. In fact, when we compared our cookware with our competitors in an abrasion scratch test, our non-stick survived more than 1.2 MILLION cycles of the abrasion test, while other pans failed at 100,000 cycles. Some other non-sticks are even less than that. Make sure your cookware can back up their claims. With Technique, we always have the best nonstick surfaces available, will never lower our standards, and will always back up our claims with extensive testing.
  • More color! We added colored silicone to the handles so that you’ll have a firm grip on the pan, whether the pan is hot or not, and no matter whether your hands are wet or oily. Plus, they look fabulous!"
  • This is from Meredith's blog- it's all good!!!

cybercilla1348281324.13312 PostsRegistered 5/7/2010

I got my copper today and I'm reading the booklets now. In the white Technique Instruction booklet (not the little recipe booklet) it says

"Do not use metal utensils or knives on the cooking pot." pg 6 under Using the pressure setting.

So which is it? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I hope to try it out this weekend. I hope you will post what you cooked and how it turned out and your comments.

Rocker1348281805.1371805 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007Nashville, TN
On 9/21/2012 lacey1 said:
  • "Better still, this nonstick is PFOA-free AND metal utensil safe. I mention both of those qualities together because recently there’s been a surge of PFOA-free nonstick products on the market. Trouble is that these nonstick items are NOT metal utensil safe, which means they’ll deteriorate rapidly and no longer perform. Technique's nonstick is PFOA-free AND durable enough to handle metal utensils. In fact, when we compared our cookware with our competitors in an abrasion scratch test, our non-stick survived more than 1.2 MILLION cycles of the abrasion test, while other pans failed at 100,000 cycles. Some other non-sticks are even less than that. Make sure your cookware can back up their claims. With Technique, we always have the best nonstick surfaces available, will never lower our standards, and will always back up our claims with extensive testing.
  • More color! We added colored silicone to the handles so that you’ll have a firm grip on the pan, whether the pan is hot or not, and no matter whether your hands are wet or oily. Plus, they look fabulous!"
  • This is from Meredith's blog- it's all good!!!

Maybe it's just me but the print is hard to read.

I love my pc, vitamix, ka mixer & f.processor and on & on & on. I have been so pleased with so many things (and have shared them!)

4uthebest1348307073.1533527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 9/21/2012 cybercilla said:

I got my copper today and I'm reading the booklets now. In the white Technique Instruction booklet (not the little recipe booklet) it says

"Do not use metal utensils or knives on the cooking pot." pg 6 under Using the pressure setting.

So which is it? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I hope to try it out this weekend. I hope you will post what you cooked and how it turned out and your comments.

The coating is the same color smart as the other cookware that Bob Warden demonstrated with the first TSV many months ago and no matter what we were told I used only wood or silicone utensils and even so there are areas where the coating is coming off. Even the written instructions mentioned that this may happen but the nonstick performance will not be affected.

Cybercilla mentioned above, and I read the same thing online regarding the SS Colorsmart and even the instructions for use and care on the back under the section "COOKING UTENSILS" says ....Please note that minor surface marring or scratches may occur......Although metal utensils may be used, plastic or wood utensils will help keep your pan's interior looking new....

Enough said here for me NEVER to use any metal utensils in the pans as I pride myself in keeping my things looking new as long as possible.

Frankly this is the same to me as Todd English Green pans promoted as able to withstand 800 degrees and yet the instructions say to use on low or medium heat. There is no non stick today apart from some of the titanium compositions that I would feel ok using a metal utensil in. My Opinion.

Last edited on 9/22/2012

Last edited on 9/22/2012

mima1348319320.7714795 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I got mine. Even though it was packed really good, there are some scratches and scuffs on the lid. Oh well, not bad enough to send back.

I made chili in it last night. The voice is very annoying and hard to understand. I shut it off.

It works great. I already had a 4 quart, but my chili recipe wouldn't fit in it. Thankfully my chili recipe fit perfect in this one. Good thing I didn't need to put one more thing in it though! It was clear up to the top fill line.

It was pretty easy to run.

Mima

mima1348319772.33314795 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

One thing I didn't like was that you can't put the pot in the dishwasher.

Mima

sylvan1348320154.5460 PostsRegistered 11/27/2005central NY

I got mine too!! I love pressure cooking and do have the 4qt CE. Wanting something bigger, I got one for me and one for my son & dil, who also have the 4qt and use it abt 4 times a week, they love it, however, it was pretty small for them also. It will be an EARLY Christmas present, as I can't wait to give it to them!

ITA that the "voice" is extremely annoying and hard to understand, they need to improve on or omit that feature. I also find it's hard for me to lift out the insert pot, not too much to grab onto. I made a bean soup in mine yesterday with dry beans and it came out wonderfully. It is easy to use and so nice to have a larger size. Mine, too, came w/a couple nicks in the color despite great packing, but not enough to worry about. I ordered the red and is a great color.

4uthebest1348322198.9273527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 9/22/2012 mima said:

I got mine. Even though it was packed really good, there are some scratches and scuffs on the lid. Oh well, not bad enough to send back.

I made chili in it last night. The voice is very annoying and hard to understand. I shut it off.

It works great. I already had a 4 quart, but my chili recipe wouldn't fit in it. Thankfully my chili recipe fit perfect in this one. Good thing I didn't need to put one more thing in it though! It was clear up to the top fill line.

It was pretty easy to run.

Based on how bad the voice sounded on TV when they demonstrated it so many times, I had planned on not using it other than as a curiousity satisfier as I am familiar with many different stovetop and electric pcs operation and this one is only slightly different.

As far as putting in the dishwasher, I am sure that would be contraindicated as the nonstick is discussed to be as it is in the use and care instructions and personally based on my first colorsmart set, it really is easy to clean and I am a coward about damaging the surfaces in a dishwasher cycle. Since the surface is non reflective, I will disinfect with my UV wand.

SiameezeLo­ver!1348323882.921848 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

I ordered this one too - because I like the oval shape. One thing that I always do when getting a new pressure cooker is to do a run through without food only water in the pressure cooker - put in 3 cups of water and set it for 10 or 15 minutes.

What this does is if there are any fumes is burned off from manufacturing. I don't want my roast to have manufacturing fumes in it.

It also lets me see how it works, if it comes up to pressure properly and any idiocracies so I can become familiar with how it comes to pressure and depressures.

I tend to always heat up any new electric appliance with non-stick to burn off the excess - I might do that a few times.

I am not a big fan of non-stick - most of your electric appliances has that on it..

God bless, be well ^..^ Meezer

Marlea Lee1348324154.8471024 PostsRegistered 3/10/2010

My beautiful copper colored pressure cooker came on Friday too. Unfortunately, it was dead on arrival. When plugged into a working electric socket (I tried a few different working sockets), the display wouldn't light and none of the buttons produced any indication that the unit was powered on.

The good news is that the customer service at Keystone (Deni?) and QVC customer service were very helpful. The QVC rep scheduled USPS to pick up the defunct pressure cooker for today, Saturday 9-22-12. USPS came at 9:50am today and picked it up.

I decided to not opt for another of these pressure cookers at this time. Luckily, my old electric pc still works so I will be cooking the pork butt that I had started thawing as soon as the pc arrived yesterday.

For those who received theirs, please check that they work before the 30 days is up. And for those who received their pc in good working order, enjoy those wonderful pressure cooked meals!

sylvan1348326970.23460 PostsRegistered 11/27/2005central NY

Yes, I ran mine w/just water just like Meezer did. The manual suggested doing that to check the seals, etc. Going to do a pork roast in my tomorrow using cider as the liquid. Am sure it'll be great. Marlea, how disappointing, but glad to hear CS was on the ball. Happy weekend everyone.

BooBoo21348329112.933799 PostsRegistered 4/20/2008

Opened my pretty purple PC today. Read the instructions and saw it stated "no noodles and pasta.." due to foaming, frothing and sputtering which may block valve. Well, Meredith has at least one recipe with macaroni.

Anyway, went to run it as directed only to discover...NO REGULATOR KNOB!!! I am not a happy camper.

Last week I received a fleece jacket that was missing the zipper pull. Really QVC??

pupwhipped1348330447.81214 PostsRegistered 8/27/2005
On 9/22/2012 BooBoo2 said:

Opened my pretty purple PC today. Read the instructions and saw it stated "no noodles and pasta.." due to foaming, frothing and sputtering which may block valve. Well, Meredith has at least one recipe with macaroni.

Anyway, went to run it as directed only to discover...NO REGULATOR KNOB!!! I am not a happy camper.

Last week I received a fleece jacket that was missing the zipper pull. Really QVC??

NO NOODLES AND PASTA....Huh??? That is not just not right. How many times did Meredith show her mac and cheese cooked in this thing?!! I'm getting perturbed with my pressure cooker and I haven't even received it yet. I better have a regulator knob. HA! And I can tell you this, if mine has any scratches of scuffs, it's going back. I am no longer going to accept those kind of problems.

lacey11348333354.7772364 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I make noodles, rice, pasta, etc. in my electric PC. I just add about a tablespoon of oil to knock the foaming down. I hate it when they say one thing and the instructions say something else. Don't they have continuity people to watch that?

4uthebest1348338469.173527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Just started the pressure cooker with just water and it is constantly shooting out steam from the pressure indicator which I never saw before with any of my pressure cookers. I thought perhaps that this machine is a hybrid that also will steam clean your cabinets as the steam was so voluminous.

The steam being emitted was 211+ degrees F yet the unit never got to pressure,

Does anyone else see this behavior as I am now testing both of my other electric pc and if they do not steam like a steam cleaner this unit is being returned. I should have my results in about 30 min And will report back.

only shops­ online1348339089.5675665 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

I ended up ordering one last week too, at the 11th hour, lol. I just opened it up, but haven't used it yet. I got the copper and it is really attractive, and I'm very happy with the inside dimensions of the oval shape.

I was also happy to see that the pressure valve control knob is different from the Cook's Essential model. That is what broke on my first pressure cooker, and there are still complaints about the newer models. There was a little plastic piece on the inside of the lid that would just crack off after a time.

I'm not concerned about not being able to put the cookpot in the dishwasher, as I have never put them in the dishwasher. All of my previous pc pots have cleaned very easily.

I also know there have been some complaints about the small little side handles on the cookpot. This is the first pc I have had that even had those little handles. I think they are more to align the cookpot in its proper position, because it is oval shaped. I have always just lifted my pots out by the top rim, and this seems to be exactly the same.

I guess I'm lucky also in that mine arrived in "perfect" looking condition. Let's hope it works well too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I do have to say that this is the heaviest pressure cooker I have ever owned. The lid was surprisingly hefty. Even the cookpot is the heaviest I have ever had, which I guess is a good thing. However, I am a bit concerned about the overall weight of the pressure cooker. I don't have room to keep this on my kitchen counters, and have always just put my pressure cooker on top of my fridge. In the past, I have always used my pc's at least 3-4 times a week. I have arthritis in my hands, and I have a tall refrigerator. I'm not sure I am going to be able to get this thing down by myself.

But, if it works properly, I guess I'll deal with it.

I'll post an update as soon as I use it.

only shops­ online1348339314.765665 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
On 9/22/2012 4uthebest said:

Just started the pressure cooker with just water and it is constantly shooting out steam from the pressure indicator which I never saw before with any of my pressure cookers. I thought perhaps that this machine is a hybrid that also will steam clean your cabinets as the steam was so voluminous.

The steam being emitted was 211+ degrees F yet the unit never got to pressure,

Does anyone else see this behavior as I am now testing both of my other electric pc and if they do not steam like a steam cleaner this unit is being returned. I should have my results in about 30 min And will report back.

I have had that problem occasionally with other pressure cookers I have had in the past. Sometimes, especially when new, the seal doesn't seat itself properly. Try to just give a little press down on the top and see if it stops. That usually has worked for me.

Also, remember that you are just using water, and much more than you would normally use. That takes a long time to come up to pressure, and doesn't work the same way as if you were just making a meat dish that had about 8 ounces of liquid. That's why I never make soup in my pressure cooker. It's easier to simmer it on the stove, because of all of the liquid.

I'm going to try mine later this afternoon. I'll post back.

only shops­ online1348343495.845665 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

Ok, I ran my pressure cooker through its first paces. It was FLAWLESS! I am totally AMAZED, given my history with bad pressure cookers. I started with warm water, and it came up to pressure in less than twenty minutes, which is really a good time for a pot full of liquid.

When it came up to pressure, I could hear a very definitive locking noise from the lid. There was a little steam emitted, at all times, from the valve. But, the amount I had was normal. That is the way the pressure in the pot stays regulated to the desired psi.

It counted down nicely, the voice made some sort of incoherent statements, and then it switched over to the "warm" setting.

I've owned four pressure cookers over the years, and I have to say this is the sturdiest, most precise I have ever used. It's solid, and works like a dream. Knock on wood that it continues to do so.

I was also impressed with the thick non-stick lining on the bottom of the lid. Everything on this model is just so heavy weight.

The one thing I don't like is the stupid voice. It's irritating and useless. I wish I could turn it off permanently. For the cost of adding the feature, I would have rather had a nice cooking rack for the bottom of the cookpot.

4uthebest1348355475.373527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

My second try running the water test worked without a hitch. I am curous as how rice would cook ad ten release.

4uthebest1348355476.5573527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I really love the copper color and for its size it is the heaviest pc I have seen.

Last edited on 9/22/2012

Last edited on 9/22/2012

only shops­ online1348358010.4775665 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
On 9/22/2012 4uthebest said:

I really love the copper color and for its size it is the heaviest pc I have seen.

Last edited on 9/22/2012

Isn't the copper lovely. I'm ready to change out all of my small appliances, lol.

I used the PC to make dinner this evening. I made a variation of the Beef and Macaroni recipe in the book, and it came out great. However, the weight of this pc may be it's downfall.

I physically can't get it on and off of the top of my refrigerator, which is the only place in my kitchen that I have to put it. My husband is really strong and even he had a problem, because there is a compartment that sits on top of my refrigerator, in the front, that houses the water line and some wiring...I think. Anyway, I have to try to get it over that compartment and it was just too heavy for me.

I have absolutely no place to put it except downstairs in my basement laundry room. If I put it down there, I will never use it because I'll have to lug it up and down the steps.

I would sure hate to return this because of the size and weight. I hope I can come up with an option. I really don't even have any closet space to hold it.

lacey11348358199.8572364 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Is it possible to store it in your oven? Just remember to move it before you preheat!

Page 1 of 2