Better Than Black Friday
14 Members and 13446 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Can you Refreeze Breakfast Sausage

Started 1345651995.69 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1345820689.233 by RedTop

The school gets sausage twice per year & sells it to make money. I want to buy some but they freeze it when they get it. The rolls are 2 1/2 lbs. I need to be able to thaw it out enough to cut it & refreeze it. There is no way we would eat a 2 1/2 lb roll in 21 days which is how long it lasts opened in the refrigerator. TIA

Smile

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Page 1 of 1
BurbankKate1345653679.046188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

The rule of thumb with all meats is: IF it has been frozen and DEFROSTED, you may NOT re-freeze it. Fish is the absoloute rule with this...Never, ever with fish. With Red Meat fibers, they break down and bacteria forms each time you defrost a meat...to re-freeze it introduces a whole host of new bacteria, and cuts the shelf life to nil. You are best off buying it if you want to contribute to the cause, and donating it to your nearest food kitchen (most cook fresh each day)...salvation army, churches, etc...and keep what you want to eat fresh. HTH.

Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

Nightowlz1345654233.1039857 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Well that stinks. I figured it would be ok. DH wanted to get several rolls to freeze & use as we wanted to eat some. He loves sausage & eggs or sausage casseroles. I found a number online to the place where they buy it from & just called them & they said they deliver it fresh so whoever is selling must have froze it. They also said it's ok to thaw & refreeze???

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Zhills1345655142.871445 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

Check out this USDA site before you nix the idea.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/

sunshine451345655474.83742607 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

i have done it with no problem.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

depglass1345658304.8124300 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I have a friend who buys Amish chicken, freezes it, thaws it to make soup, and then freezes it again. And this woman is a clinical pharmacist who is an absolute germophobe. It just blows my mind.

luvmypupz1345658608.254991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

Is it safe to refreeze food that has thawed completely?
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. And if previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

Most of the grocery stores that has prepackaged chicken, sausage etc it has been frozen prior to being put out for sale. I refreeze that all the time with no problem.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

polar1345658659.3472707 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I re-freeze everything. No problem.

KYToby1345659217.4231496 PostsRegistered 2/19/2012

As long s you thaw in the refrigerator, thre should be a minimal of bacterial growth, and you should be fine to refreee it.

I frequenlty buy my favorite breakfast sausage while visiting my family in the Carolinas, freeze it, bring it back to Kentucky, thaw and then refreeze in smaller portions. I have never had a problem.

BurbankKate1345659468.2576188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 8/22/2012 BurbankKate said:

The rule of thumb with all meats is: IF it has been frozen and DEFROSTED, you may NOT re-freeze it. Fish is the absoloute rule with this...Never, ever with fish. With Red Meat fibers, they break down and bacteria forms each time you defrost a meat...to re-freeze it introduces a whole host of new bacteria, and cuts the shelf life to nil. You are best off buying it if you want to contribute to the cause, and donating it to your nearest food kitchen (most cook fresh each day)...salvation army, churches, etc...and keep what you want to eat fresh. HTH.

Last edited on 8/22/2012
Ok...so I look like a nut here. Here's my background FYI.so you can determine... After working in tv for 13 years, I went into business with my mom who owned a restaurant. We developed and sold products to trader joes markets. We took and learned food safety, I worked in a USDA certif. kitchen , IMy mom built a n industrial food kitchen from the ground up. I taught food safety to all our employees, we also catered for tv shows that taped in hollywood, shows that you all would know if I mentioned them. We also catered the oscars, the AMA awards, cma awards...you get the idea. For my church, we participate in family promise, which has the highest success rate in the USA of placing homeless people into homes and jobs (97% success rate)...I also cook for family promise events at our church, including training in disaster feeding from the red cross of which I am also certified. So, it's your call..if you think the sausage is going to be fine, then just be sure to use a good freezing wrap like the ziplock freezer bags, and get all the air out of the bag to prevent burn. If you own a sealer system, even better..I hope it works out for you.Last edited on 8/22/2012 Last edited on 8/22/2012

Last edited on 8/22/2012

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

Baxjaxmom1345668987.7672508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Last edited on 8/22/2012
Ok...so I look like a nut here. Here's my background FYI.so you can determine... After working in tv for 13 years, I went into business with my mom who owned a restaurant. We developed and sold products to trader joes markets. We took and learned food safety, I worked in a USDA certif. kitchen , IMy mom built a n industrial food kitchen from the ground up. I taught food safety to all our employees, we also catered for tv shows that taped in hollywood, shows that you all would know if I mentioned them. We also catered the oscars, the AMA awards, cma awards...you get the idea. For my church, we participate in family promise, which has the highest success rate in the USA of placing homeless people into homes and jobs (97% success rate)...I also cook for family promise events at our church, including training in disaster feeding from the red cross of which I am also certified. So, it's your call..if you think the sausage is going to be fine, then just be sure to use a good freezing wrap like the ziplock freezer bags, and get all the air out of the bag to prevent burn. If you own a sealer system, even better..I hope it works out for you.Last edited on 8/22/2012 Last edited on 8/22/2012

You DO NOT "look like a nut"!!! I would certainly go along with what you have said. I have heard from the time freezers were introduced for home use that one should never refreeze thawed meat. I honestly never questioned the "why" of it. It was somehow made clear to me early on and pounded into my brain enough that it's just always been my rule of thumb and I never questioned it. I can say this: if there is ANY remote chance of it causing botulism or salmonella poisoning, that's reason enough for me. I've had that from eating a chicken dish on a flight once and I thought I was going to have to die to get better. Worst illness I've ever had. So, I will continue my practice of what I consider safe and avoid refreezing raw meat once it is thawed. JMO.

olewoman1345669535.9832120 PostsRegistered 10/19/2008only my friends
Me to,and I'm 62 years old never been sick on any of it

danni rose1345682789.9732552 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

let's see if i understand your post. you are:

*buying meat that was raw, but sold as frozen.

*you want to thaw it, use a portion as needed, then refreeze

*then later on use the frozen to thaw to eat.

i would say under this situation ... a big "no!" {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Nightowlz1345742967.1239857 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Well I called my dad & asked him & he said NO. Father knows best. LOL!!! I have had food poisoning before so I'm leary about it. DH found out it does come fresh so I will be able to cut it up & make patties & bulk packages to do other things with. I'm pretty sure when I bought some at the grocery store earlier this year they had probably already froze it before they put it out for sale. I tried calling to ask them but nobody would ever answer the phone. I called 4-5 times. This sausage is really good. After we ate it & ran out & I bought a roll of some other sausage at the grocery store it had no flavor compared to this other sausage. The grocery store sells it to help the school out. That's the only way they get the sausage since it's made for fundraisers. The only safe thing to do if it does get back to me frozen would be to cook all of it before refreezing any of it. It better come fresh because DH wants me to buy enough to last until they sell it again in the spring. I told him the site that sells the sausage says it's good in the freezer 6 months.

Desertdi1345763834.37316194 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

Cook the whole batch, and freeze the cooked sausage in serving size packages. You can reheat in the micro

RedTop1345820689.2334751 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

I would go ahead and buy the sausage and either:

1. Cook the sausage, freeze and reheat, OR

2. I let the roll of sausage sit at room temperature for no more than 30 minutes, which is just enough time for me to slice off what I need and then refreeze. I usually go ahead and slice the entire roll, put the remaining slices in a plastic freezer bag and put in the freezer for the next time. I have never had a problem, and have been doing it this way for over 30 years. If you are afraid to thaw at room temperature, thaw in the refrigerator until the roll is sliceable. You do not have to thaw the sausage completely, as a sharp knife will cut thru the frozen sausage easily when it is still very firm and cold.

Page 1 of 1