Better Than Black Friday
106 Members and 14723 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Great OTO - Kitchen Aid Immersion Blender

Started 1344565856.423 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1345089933.74 by ibb38

I have a very similar unit by Kitchen Aid- probably paid the same amount and I have so few pieces!!! I use this all the time- more than I've used any kitchen gadge. I recommend it highly. I'm considering getting it- just because of all the extra pieces!

Page 1 of 1
millieshops1344566358.6615316 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Off and on all day I considered ordering a pair of earrings. Then I saw this immersion blender and ordered it within 2 minutes! It will replace an old hand mixer I bought in 1980 at a yard sale. It probably started its life years before that and I bet when I put it in my yard sale next month, it will give me my money back!

ibb381344567222.5812517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I kept refreshing the screen since it was sold out - and I was able to grab a unit!! When I priced my current unit a few years back, any KA immersion blender with this many pieces went for the $150 range. Did they mention how many watts it has??

millieshops1344568200.71315316 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

ibb- I didn't hear the watts mentioned and I didn't check. I just thought it's got to be better than that old one I've been using. I didn't check elsewhere for price, but I know I've seen them for more than we're paying tonight!

millieshops1344568530.5615316 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I just went to read the reviews and the Q&A about this blender. Someone mentioned it has 720 watts and several reviewers called it powerful. Should be fine for me.

ibb381344568727.1212517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

720 watts? Whoah! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} That's very significant for a smaller kitchen gadget. I'm psyched!!!

ibb381344609517.84712517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/9/2012 millieshops said:

Off and on all day I considered ordering a pair of earrings. Then I saw this immersion blender and ordered it within 2 minutes! It will replace an old hand mixer I bought in 1980 at a yard sale. It probably started its life years before that and I bet when I put it in my yard sale next month, it will give me my money back!

Which color did you get? The stainless version is available again - the matte finish seems great, no fingerprints on the unit! I'm considering editing my order from last night.

Sooner1344611663.3515432 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What's the number and how much was it OTO??? Call me curious! And missing out! LOL!!!

ibb381344611930.15312517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

K35129. It's still a great price today! The oto yesterday was around $68, now it's $75. I priced KA immersion blenders a few years back and a unit like this with so many attachments was easily twice the price!

Blondelle1344619425.6034268 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

It looks like a great deal but the reviews are mixed on it on Amazon. There are some people who said it quickly broke after using it with ice which the instructions say you can use. One said the gears stripped after a few uses. Another said it broke after a few uses when using frozen fruit too I think. One person said the collar cracked after a few uses. You can see the photo of the cracked collar and the read the reviews with the link below.

KA 5 speed immersion blender

ibb381344624792.54312517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Actually the reviews on Amazon seem very good- 4 out of 5 stars with 24 reviews. And I don't know if some of those reviews are even applicable- one person said the unit 'was so much plastic' and had plastic blending arms. The video by the amazon listing specifically says it's stainless steel! As with Q reviews, sometimes I read between the lines... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Dan Hughes said you could chop ice- but the KA rep specifically didn't use ice when she made the smoothie. That made me think twice about whether or not I'd try it with ice. I'll jsut use the frothing blade for making smoothies! The end result is similar .

I'll test mine a lot in 30 days!!

ibb381344629519.68312517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Being the total nudnick that I am sometimes {#emotions_dlg.lol} - I went on live chat with Kitchen Aid just now! THey said the unit has 200 watts- and the only plastic parts are the 2 cups (obviously) and the covers for the blades. I'm not too thrilled with it being only 200 watts, though - I think my current unit is more. But I'll give it a test run....

4uthebest1344629769.3033527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 8/10/2012 ibb38 said:

K35129. It's still a great price today! The oto yesterday was around $68, now it's $75. I priced KA immersion blenders a few years back and a unit like this with so many attachments was easily twice the price!

Frankly it is way overpriced for what it is and by watching it struggle during the demos compared to other units I have used, there is ZERO chance that it is over 300 watts in power.

Also the Q description says that the blades are stainless.. nothing about the rest of the construction. If you want to get a good immersion blender, Wolfgang Puck had one years ago that was 550 watts and all metal shaft.. Today there is an Italian unit that sells for about $60 on Amazon that is very similar to the WP one and if I was spending my money, that is the one I would get.

ibb381344630649.38712517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The WP units had really bad reviews on hsn- I won't go there!! That's when I first started researching immersion blenders- when he had a 500 watt ts several years ago. I waitlisted, read the reviews & cancelled the order! The housing unit literally fell apart while some were using it! High wattage doesn't mean a thing if the construction of the product can't handle it.

You'd think an item with a name Wolfgang Puck would stand for something - but all he does is lend (sell?) his name. Like the dozens of celebrity endorsed product lines here.

In addition, hsn doesn't stand behind their products. If it's over 30 days you're out of luck. And with electronics- you're taking a chance with a limited return policy.

Kitchen Aid told me this unit is all steel- except for the cups and covers for the blades (see my post above).

Last edited on 8/10/2012

Last edited on 8/10/2012

4uthebest1344639606.523527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 8/10/2012 ibb38 said:

The WP units had really bad reviews on hsn- I won't go there!! That's when I first started researching immersion blenders- when he had a 500 watt ts several years ago. I waitlisted, read the reviews & cancelled the order! The housing unit literally fell apart while some were using it! High wattage doesn't mean a thing if the construction of the product can't handle it.

Well that is interesting as I have 2 functional WP units... one is from 2005 and the other 2007 and they both will work. Admittedly Chinese manufacturing will always have flaws because of their lack of QC yet I had Braun units that were not as good as the WP one I have now. There are few immersion blenders that can make a batch of toll house cookies, let alone oatmeal raisin ones, but I have had no problem with my WP one from 2007.

Remember the KA Pro 600 units until recently changed had plastic gearing so I would not be surprised to see that used in the motor of it.

As a general rule I agree that wattage does not equal power HOWEVER I believe the wattage of the 2007 WP. as a matter of fact this is a single review from the italian one that is very similar to the WP one and reading it now, I could have written it myself as it echoes so much of what I could say..

"I've gone through maybe 5 hand blenders. They have lasted me 2 years at the most. I burn the motors up with heavy blending, mostly crushing ice cubes to make smoothies. The last one, a 350 watt Oster didn't even make it through a year.

I've had this one for about a month, and it shows every sign of going the distance. I haven't been gentle with mine.

Its two best features are the 550 watt motor which hardly even gets warm during the heaviest lengthiest chores, and the highly convenient speed control. The changable four bladed cutter is also very nice. Even the mini food processor which I initially took to be a throw-away, has turned out to be well-designed and useful.

I recommend that when you first try it out, that you run it on the speed control at a setting of 2. In the highest setting of 5 or Turbo mode, it will tug on your hand so strongly while blending that it may be hard to resist. It is not excessively noisy. Timid people may even find it a little scary at its highest setting due to its ability to tug on its handle during heavy blending.

Due to its ability to blend thick mixtures at maximum speed, you may find that it blends familiar items so that they are smoother than you have ever experienced. It can definately make quick work of just about any blending task.

Like most other small home appliances this one is made in China. It's a little odd to me that it is marketed by a company that seems to be headquartered in Venezuela. It appears from some other comments that they stand behind their products and do have a viable US presence. 15 months is a pretty warranty for a product like this. The portion of the instructions that are in English are a lot skinnier than the ones in Spanish, but what does it take to run a blender and food processor?

Just an update to say that its getting to be a year later, and my blender is still working great. I just did a small job with the food processor acessory and it worked like a charm. It is still crushing big ice cubes and blending thick smoothies without complaints or smells. "

nascar fan1344647436.671038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005

DAG!! i had to work last nite and missed this!! i broke my immersion blender a few weeks ago, dropped it one time too many!! i received a new CHEFS catty today and this same setup is in there for 99.95!! but free shipping. i just might invest in this anyway, cause i like all the parts. regular ole immersion blender with no extras was almost 40.00 yesterday at bb& b!! nascar fan

Sooner1344649141.90715432 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks to all who let us know about this. Looks like a nice item to me and something I'd use a lot in our kitchen--after I thought long and hard about it. I love KA products!

Blondelle1344661805.3174268 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

Kitchen Aid told me this unit is all steel- except for the cups and covers for the blades (see my post above).

Steel doesn't crack and split. I don't think they use a metal coupling on this. Someone said they stripped theirs with light use.

Cracked KA

ibb381344664570.17712517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We'll see in 7-10 days! I tend to believe KA, if that happened with more reviews- between here and amazon- I'd think twice.

ibb381345089933.7412517 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Got the blender today - fast shipping!! There's definitely much more plastic than the KA rep stated. The blades are steel, but the part that connect the blades to the unit (is that the coupling?) is plastic. The 'Cracked KA' picture in the link above shows it well. I'm really surprised at the poor information provide to me by KA!! I'll give the unit a good test run the next 30 days and see if it's a keeper.

Page 1 of 1