TSV(R) Preview
162 Members and 12260 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

What do you store in your corner cabinet lazy susan?

Started 1343064758.94 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1343390779.713 by PamelaSue72

I put two of these in my kitchen when we built five years ago. Well, they are about the most useless things invented by man. Actually one corner has the lazy susan, which turns really hard, and the other corner just has a narrow access to this deep useless two shelved cavern. Any bright ideas how I can make good use of these spaces?

Page 1 of 1
Racer Girl1343065882.693038 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

Hi depglass,

When we built our house, I didn't add any lazy susan's because I had issues with the one in our previous home. Pinterest might give you some good ideas though. That's to best place ever to find creative ideas for everyday things.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.” Mark Frost

In-x-s1343066198.332553 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location

I only have them in the bottom cupboards but on one side I keep rarely used appliances such as waffle maker, toaster, stick blender, pressure cooker. On the other side I keep a bin of potatoes, onions, large containers of tea, over flow of Lock & Locks, etc. I will add that mine are sturdy, wooden, custom built ones so they hold quite a bit of weight. Not sure if the cupboards you buy with them in are quite as heavy-duty.

misspammie1343067120.212237 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

just reading here, soo anxious to get my corner susans in new kitchen,,,then read of pinterest. I'm not a member, but it reminded me, just the other week saw a lady at the checkout at the liquor store with allllll the tiny little bottles... 25 or so. asked what she was going to do with them,,,,,,said pinterest had a wreath (or something) to make out of them. iI'd heard of Pinterest, but didn't know of for sure. this was for a woman turning 21. could be a great gift (i was thinking). anyone ever see this??? so sorry for getting off track, but made me think of this.

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

Buck-i-Nana1343068525.977643 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio

I must have lucked out with a great lazy susan. It's easily accessed and is large enough and sturdy enough to hold my canned goods as well as cereal I keep in lock-n-lock containers and my extra dog treats. I had to put a little latch on mine though because my big dog figured out how to open it and get his own treats out!

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

curlywhite­dog1343068951.1536379 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

My corner cabinet lazy susan turned out to be a big disappointment. Sure the platforms turned but I was too short to reach any but for the bottom one (there were 3) so it was pointless to even try to store things on the top two, it's not like I want grab a chair every time I need something. Fortunately hubby is very handy so he took the susan down and cut off the top two. Then we ordered and installed permanent shelving where the top two susans were and then hubby connected up the bottom susan to the shelf above and now it perfect for me. The bottom susan contains most of the spices and things I use for everyday cooking and the top two permanent shelves now give me storage for those things I only need occasionally like the matching serving pieces to my everyday dinnerware.

Maria

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

smokymtngal1343069431.7032879 PostsRegistered 12/8/2007

I hated the revolving corner cupboards in my previous home. The top amd bottom tiers moved together and it was always hard to get something out of the bottom tier. But they were better than the big black hole I had in an apartment that I once rented.

I love the revolving corner cupboards in my current home (I have then on each side of the kitchen). The top and bottom tiers move independently and all products are easy to access. I use them for lighter things because I don't think they're quite as sturdy as the stationary cupboards on top.

They're great for all my food storage containers (mainly rubbermaid) and keurig k cups and various boxes of teas and oatmeal.

Keerose1343070085.5411 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Hated them so much that I omitted them from my new kitchen. When I did have them, I stored pet food and bird seed in lock and locks there.

itsmagic1343070626.361205 PostsRegistered 8/8/2011

I have one lazy susan in a bottom cupboard. I store my Vita-Mix, a rarely used Cool Daddy fryer (that's on the bottom of the lazy susan), electric hand mixer, electric mini-chopper and several sizes of measuring cups.

AnikaBrodie1343071207.514993 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

Depglass, I have two corner cupboards with lazy susans in my remodeled kitchen and really like them. Both of them have adjustable full circle lazy susans.

There are two adjustable and one stationary shelves in the top cupboard. I store items I don't use routinely on the top shelf including molasses, sugar, salt and pepper (for mill), and bulk spices. Spices (placed alphabetically from A to Z) are stored on the first shelf making them easily accessible. Baking items, food coloring, baking powder and soda and items used daily are stored on the stationary shelf.

The lazy susan in my bottom cupboard has two shelves. One is adjustable and is where I store my Lock n Lock and Tupperware storage containers and two quart beverage containers. The bottom shelf contains pie plates, baking and casserole dishes and oversized plastic and stainless steel bowls.

I have the following suggestions for your lazy susan that you say turns hard. First, take everything out of the cabinet, and check the center pole that holds the LS in place. You should be able to loosen the screws (a little at a time) at the bottom and top of the pole. If it is still tight spray lightly with WD-40. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

college to­wn1343071499.2736 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

I store my seasonal paper supplies, napkins, plates, etc.

AnikaBrodie1343226787.3214993 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

Depglass, your OP gave me the incentive to reorganize my corner cupboards. I did just that yesterday. Thanks. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

debc1343231343.4632436 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

I ripped mine out and put in bins in one and shelves in the other. I've only seen one person with lazy susan's that were good. Most wobble after a few years.

Cheese with that whine?

saversmom1343268041.135416 PostsRegistered 5/10/2009

I love my revolving corner cabinet.

I keep all of my pots and pans in it for easy access.

It sounds like some of the cabinets work out better than others. I might have just been lucky.

LadyLacie1343268544.58384 PostsRegistered 3/16/2012Ohio

My grandma used to have one of those and she kept canned food on it The other thought was cleaning supplies.

beachbird1343273460.24310 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007By the River

All pf my pots, pans and many pieces of Polish stoneware. My corner lazy susan is quite large.

AnikaBrodie1343303497.9214993 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys
On 7/25/2012 debc said:

I ripped mine out and put in bins in one and shelves in the other. I've only seen one person with lazy susan's that were good. Most wobble after a few years.

My lazy susan's are excellent. They are as sturdy today as the day they were installed many years ago. Maybe it is because my kitchen cupboards are custom-made, and not big store items. Wobble ... no way. You get what you pay for in the end. Smile

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~

debc1343304610.5872436 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 7/26/2012 AnikaBrodie said:
On 7/25/2012 debc said:

My lazy susan's are excellent. They are as sturdy today as the day they were installed many years ago. Maybe it is because my kitchen cupboards are custom-made, and not big store items. Wobble ... no way. You get what you pay for in the end. Smile

I'm sure. Mine came with the house and already shot. My parent's was custom made and good for over 25 years and then I'm not sure what happened to it. Still way better than mine ever was.

Cheese with that whine?

luckymom1343306967.557178 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004SW FL

I had 3- 2 upper, one lower. Lower holds the pots & pans. Got rid of the lazy susan in the 42" upper- like you I couldn't reach anything- had them put in shelves. Now the normal lazy susan I kept- after 15 years I figured out that the shelves on the lazy susan were adjustable! Moved the low shelf up higher to the top one. Put tall stuff on the top (lowered a bit so I could reach it- things like spices from Costco, bread crumbs, etc, lite weight items so if they fell on my head, it didn't hurt), put some spices on the next one that are rarely used.

Now the entire bottom holds my flavorings & extracts, spices I use all the time, oil, vinegar,- tons of things. I've got about 10" between the bottom of the cabinet and the 1st shelf of the lazy susan.

PamelaSue721343390779.713470 PostsRegistered 9/22/2011

We have two lazy Susans in our bottom corner cabinets and they're both fine....have been for almost 30 years. One has my spice storage (what I don't keep in my spice cabinets), baking supplies (other than flour and sugar and such) and my portable mixers. The other one has DH's and my lunch containers for work, coffee pot, hot air popcorn popper, and other very small appliances. And two large glass jars of dry kitty kibble.

Page 1 of 1