TSV(R) Preview
156 Members and 11922 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Why is Mary on so much?

Started 1340815388.343 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1348670777.85 by qualitygal

I watch In the Kitchen With David, and I would like to know what is Mary's specific job with QVC? I know she has a title, but why do we see her only on that one program?

In addition, what does QVC do with all the food they have on the cooking programs?

Page 1 of 2
boby1340817500.143092 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

You'd really have to ask QVC that one. The most plausible guess is that she provides a segue so David can move from one set or item to another.

I believe she is David's producer.

The question about what happens to the food is asked all the time. Probably the crew eats some of it, but most of it is usually inedible, because food that is styled to stand up under hot studio lighting is treated with lots of stuff like paint, varnish, etc that you wouldn't eat.

Last edited on 6/27/2012

Last edited on 6/27/2012

Cardamom1340819774.716770 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

She is David's producer. I think she is on a lot because QVC is big on the facebook chats. Mary chats with customers during his shows. There are a lot of people engaged in those chat sessions.

millieshops1340820310.20714705 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I try to tune in for a bit of David every Sunday, but no way could I have thought of Mary's name. I don't Facebook, so that part of the show holds no interest for me. Doesn't matter, does it? David has a huge following and it's pretty obvious lots of them use FB to communicate with the show, and it's easy to ignore when you watch only a bit as I tend to do- or watch while something else is going on here and pay attention only a bit.

Seems like lots of shows now have a FB component and lots of companies other than QVC use FB for all kinds of reasons I'm unlikely to ever want to know. No reason they have to change though- I just ignore because I've decided I'm truly a minority when it comes to FB.

Krimpette1340820934.479938 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

I'm not a fan of the Facebook interaction either. Hence, I seem to watch less and less - particularly less of ITKWD.

BonnieBelle1340833036.219314 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I wonder where they are going with her? I saw a commercial yesterday with her and David on a Mack truck. Ridiculous.

Last edited on 6/27/2012

Last edited on 6/27/2012

wdeerest1340833949.677981 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

wdeerest1340846714.35981 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I enjoy David. I think it would be so much fun to work with him. He'd have me laughing...that's for sure.

hopi1340847065.410862 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

Why is Mary on so much?

Mary is such a doll with a great sense of humor and it appears much of the Q audience agrees. David is just so nice to everyone but Mary helps him connect to the cyber audience when he is on air. David has always been a great guy but he has grown into a very endearing figure for many and when he speaks to people with kindness you feel a genuine person otherwise he is one heck of an actor.

colliegirls1340847987.156153 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

I am sure they enjoy working together, its a lovely picture of both of them.

SUGAR K1342661417.351 PostsRegistered 7/18/2012

I'M DONE. TOO MUCH MARY ON IN THE KITCHEN WITH DAVID.

champagnep­oodle1342661503.9135449 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

I agree, Mary has to go

RedConvert­ibleGirl1342661678.514077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW
On 7/18/2012 SUGAR K said:

I'M DONE. TOO MUCH MARY ON IN THE KITCHEN WITH DAVID.

Oh how I agree! She adds absolutely nothing to the show IMO. Even my SO asks what'sthe point of her being there, and he doesn't like her being on so much either.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

Hildegarde­ Withers1342666684.411690 PostsRegistered 11/9/2011

They're trying to "spice" things up.

VeeGee1342814412.29792 PostsRegistered 2/28/2010

It's called"In the Kitchen with David" .We watch these shows to see and be entertained by David. Since Mary came aboard I cannot watch a David show completely. David is my favorite host, but excessive Mary is making this show boring........bring back the old "In the Kitchen with David" as it was. Thank You

missyw11342820232.5332233 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I like Mary. She should co-host the show with David. (out of the control room)

gemini401342822859.99348 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007
On 7/20/2012 VeeGee said:

It's called"In the Kitchen with David" .We watch these shows to see and be entertained by David. Since Mary came aboard I cannot watch a David show completely. David is my favorite host, but excessive Mary is making this show boring........bring back the old "In the Kitchen with David" as it was. Thank You

OMG do you have any kind of life???? What a ridiculous coment...if you are under the age of 15 I'd excuse you...but somehow I don't think you are.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1342823030.88714077 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW
On 7/20/2012 gemini40 said:
On 7/20/2012 VeeGee said:

It's called"In the Kitchen with David" .We watch these shows to see and be entertained by David. Since Mary came aboard I cannot watch a David show completely. David is my favorite host, but excessive Mary is making this show boring........bring back the old "In the Kitchen with David" as it was. Thank You

OMG do you have any kind of life???? What a ridiculous coment...if you are under the age of 15 I'd excuse you...but somehow I don't think you are.

I don't see anything wrong with her comments, she's entitled to voice her opinion. No need to be rude. I happen to agree with her. In our house, we both love the show, but don't like the addition of Mary. It just doesn't add anything to the show, and is rather annoying. And yes, we ARE over 15.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

foodywudy1348105898.4531 PostsRegistered 9/19/2012

Mary is GREAT! Her great personality and humor add to ITKWD. They make a great team! :)

HeaSpy31348145066.8135 PostsRegistered 9/14/2012

It seems to me QVC has tried to do a different kind of presentation in all the shows. I don't think it's necessary at all to have a co-host sitting on the computer "chatting" on Facebook and give then update the tv audience on the discussions. If the viewers want to be involved, they have their own opportunity to be on Facebook if they wish. Leave those of us who don't Facebook out of it.

The only upside to giving Mary (or another facebookking host) airtime is the opportunity for the onliners to connect a face with the chat. But is it really Mary anyway???

I'm not really pleased at all with recent programming on any channel. It's all going downhill. For example, I don't watch the fat hillbillys dress the chubby daughter up for a pagent. I have my own fat hillbilly and make sure the kids are dressed for school everyday. At one point my husband and I cancelled cable for a while. We have it turned back on now, and it's all very disappointing. It may go again. It's not worth the monthly bill.

robomo1348145325.5239407 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

Wow - tough crowd again. I like Mary and think she's delightful and don't find her presence any different than anyone else they have on programs doing the social media thing which appears to be VERY popular even though I can't stand it.

Cardamom1348162087.4076770 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006

IMO David runs the show and he likes Mary, that's why. I actually find her quite helpful. If you have a question about something during a show you can just ask her through facebook and she answers you.

Foodie 71348164189.89740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 7/18/2012 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 7/18/2012 SUGAR K said:

I'M DONE. TOO MUCH MARY ON IN THE KITCHEN WITH DAVID.

Oh how I agree! She adds absolutely nothing to the show IMO. Even my SO asks what'sthe point of her being there, and he doesn't like her being on so much either.

You two may think that Mary adds nothing to the show, but she clearly does or she wouldn't be there. QVC is all about and only about selling products. If anything they do results in greater sales they continue doing it; if it doesn't, they stop. It doesn't matter what any of us think about this host or that host, Mary or anyone else. The sales numbers are all that matters.

always wro­ng never right1348164673.6132007 PostsRegistered 12/20/2006Chicago, Illinois
On 9/19/2012 foodywudy said:

Mary is GREAT! Her great personality and humor add to ITKWD. They make a great team! :)


Spoken by Mary's mother, perhaps???

If sharing an opinion makes you appear angry, then the receiver of the opinion should look in the mirror!

always wro­ng never right1348165108.672007 PostsRegistered 12/20/2006Chicago, Illinois
On 6/27/2012 hopi said:

Why is Mary on so much?

Mary is such a doll with a great sense of humor and it appears much of the Q audience agrees. David is just so nice to everyone but Mary helps him connect to the cyber audience when he is on air. David has always been a great guy but he has grown into a very endearing figure for many and when he speaks to people with kindness you feel a genuine person otherwise he is one heck of an actor.


An actor. With delusions of being three and talking with food in his mouth, and doing happy dances. And if bacon is the ingredient in one more thing............. . But my question remains, what will you do if your cookbook can't do a happy dance, whine the name Mary and make goofy faces?

If sharing an opinion makes you appear angry, then the receiver of the opinion should look in the mirror!

boby1348168288.1273092 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

AWNR: I admire your courage calling it as you see it. The villagers are probably marching your way even as we speak with torches and a rope.

Page 1 of 2