Give Gorgeous
137 Members and 13441 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

cuisinart keurig coffee maker vs. keurig....which is better?

Started 1338258540.463 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1339653518.403 by 4uthebest

i have had the keurig platinum b70 for several years and it finally broke down completely. i loved it but didn't want to buy another one exactly like it just to go through the same problems again. so, i was looking at the cuisinart model. has anyone purchased this one and liked it? since i'm the only coffee drinker in the house it just makes sense to get a single cup coffee maker. any feedback would be wonderful!

smile.....there are no coincidences

Page 1 of 1
Tribefan1338259435.75255 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
I would read reviews online first. I was considering the cuisinart but after reading the reviews I wouldn't get it. Keurig has a lot of problems too but they stand by their machines better than cuisinart. How about The Scoop from Hamilton Beach? That seemed to have good reviews. When my Keurig dies I'll probably try that.

Lynnj1338259917.7516467 PostsRegistered 12/26/2006

I bought the Cuisinart several months ago after my B70 Keurig broke down. My B70 lasted 3 years. I read reviews online to replace the Keurig, but it sounded like the newer models broke quickly.

I am a Costco member, and they sell the Cuisinart. Costco has a fabulous return policy, and I know if anything goes wrong I can take it right back with no questions asked. So I decided to try the Cuisinart.

I love it, compared to the Keurig. I have had no problems. It is very quiet. I love the clean feature too. I run that every few days once or twice. This seems to keep the holes from getting clogged up.

grams21338262170.153122 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006

I have had my Cuisinart for 1 1/2 years and have never had any problems with it. I bought it because it holds more water and it came with a 3 year warranty.

4uthebest1338268886.4673527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/28/2012 Tribefan said: I would read reviews online first. I was considering the cuisinart but after reading the reviews I wouldn't get it. Keurig has a lot of problems too but they stand by their machines better than cuisinart. How about The Scoop from Hamilton Beach? That seemed to have good reviews. When my Keurig dies I'll probably try that.

I don't know which reviews you are referring to, but I have had mine now for 3 years without a problem. It is also a known fact that the cup of coffee is hotter with it than the Keurig and I also have 2 Platinums so I can attest to that.

I got mine from BB&B and in addition to the 3yr warranty, larger water storage, and rinse feature, is the no time limit replacement/refund from them should I ever need it.

oceantown1338299199.7378731 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love our Cuisinart single serve. Got it at Costco. Makes a very hot cup of coffee or water. Love the rinse feature. Love the hot water button. If you use the hot water button you can have a 2nd cup of hot water within a short period of time without having to open & close the lid. Love the 3 year warranty.

Tribefan1338308040.163255 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
The reviews I were referring to are on macys.com. Select SMS-700 cuisinart brewer. A piece of junk, nice while it worked, don't buy, works for a year, stops working, not reliable, disappointed are just a few of the reviews. There are some good reviews as well but I figure their machine is still fairly new. If I'm spending $200-$300 on a coffeemaker I expect it to last more than a year. Oceantown says she doesn't want the same problems as she had with her Keurig & it sounds like Cuisinart has the same pump/motor issues.

nutmeg31338308947.6674996 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

I have a Breville machine for 3+ years. It makes great coffee,but is bit noisy. http://www.surlatable.com/search/searchContainer.jsp?q=Breville%20Coffee&s=true&affsrcid=AFF0005

onastreak581338312543.51343 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007

When my first Keurig bit the dust after about a year I bought the Cuisinart. It worked great for the first 6 months, then started acting up. First it would make random cup sizes, regardless of the cup size selected on the machine. Then, something went wrong with the heating element so the coffee was no longer piping hot. De-scaling would improve the cup size problem for a few days, then it would start up again. Machine finally died when it was about 8 months old. This time I went back to a Keurig.

My experience has been that none of these machines are built to last. I've already decided that my next coffee maker will be the HB Scoop (already have it in storage because I got a great deal on one). Shelling out more that $150 for a coffee maker every year is riduculous and I just don't want to do it anymore.

oceantown1338314056.6238731 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/29/2012 Tribefan said: The reviews I were referring to are on macys.com. Select SMS-700 cuisinart brewer. A piece of junk, nice while it worked, don't buy, works for a year, stops working, not reliable, disappointed are just a few of the reviews. There are some good reviews as well but I figure their machine is still fairly new. If I'm spending $200-$300 on a coffeemaker I expect it to last more than a year. Oceantown says she doesn't want the same problems as she had with her Keurig & it sounds like Cuisinart has the same pump/motor issues.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11601693&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|56625|87290&N=4047398&Mo=20&pos=2&No=11&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=87290&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10598-Cat56625&topnav=#BVRRWidgetID

The Costco price is 164.99, plus shipping. We bought ours in person at the store. This price includes 54 k-cups and 6 charcoal water filters.

The costco website I listed also has a demo video on the de-scaling process.

I noticed you mentioned my name... and that I had problems with keurig ??? I have the keurig mini brewer, but have not had problems with it. Maybe you have me confused with another poster?

I feel very confident buying this because it has a 3 year warranty, and I also know that costco stands behind their products.

It is hard to read through reviews and see the negative comments and then decide to purchase, I know exactly what you mean. I thought long and hard before buying this, but so glad we did. I love it. The reviews on the costco website average out to a tiny bit less than 4 stars. The Macy's website also has a close to 4 star review average. So, I think that is pretty good.

I am going to descale our brewer today, I want to keep it in great condition.

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Will B1338329344.1072034 PostsRegistered 5/10/2006North FL

I have had mine for well over a year. My Keurig was okay, just noisy so I gave that one to my neighbor (who doesn't mind the noise). I got mine at Kohl's, on sale and then 30% off so I got it for a little over $100. I have a book club, card group, etc. in my home and love having a variety of coffee for everyone to chose. I find the coffee so good and when I'm at someone's home and they have a regular coffee pot, the coffee always taste so bitter to me. Everyday when I have my 1 cup in the morning and 1 decaf in the evening, they are always a treat. I use distilled water in mine along with the filters and I think that makes a difference.

BetteQ1338329942.98744 PostsRegistered 4/17/2010

I have no first hand knowledge, just what my BFF experienced. Her sister had a Keurig and she was dying to get one but wouldn't spend the $ until her other machine died. Her sis's Keurig died after less than a year! When her "very old" machine did die, she bought a Cuisinart. She absolutely loves it. She loves a strong cup and her hubby likes it weaker. They can get 2 perfect cups out of one "k-cup". She's had her Cuisinart a little over a year.

4uthebest1338332334.213527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/29/2012 Tribefan said: The reviews I were referring to are on macys.com. Select SMS-700 cuisinart brewer. A piece of junk, nice while it worked, don't buy, works for a year, stops working, not reliable, disappointed are just a few of the reviews. There are some good reviews as well but I figure their machine is still fairly new. If I'm spending $200-$300 on a coffeemaker I expect it to last more than a year. Oceantown says she doesn't want the same problems as she had with her Keurig & it sounds like Cuisinart has the same pump/motor issues.

Like I said I have had mine for more than 3 years without a problem but I have ZERO idea what an SMS 700 model is unless it is something made just for Macy's as mine is the SS-700 and I love it. When I was having problems that seemingly were pump related, I remembered what the Keurig folks told me about cleaning out the needles with a toothpick and end of a paperclip and that has always resolved them when I thought there was not a solution other than packing it up and returning to BB&B and exchanging for another one, this process worked like a champ.

Now after my brews I will use the rinse feature and that has allowed me all this time to go without any needle cleaning..

All this being said, however, I realize these things are made in China and their QC is anything but commendable and so I am now switching most of my coffee preparation to the fabulous Aeropress as its flavor is top notch and I have gotten the entire process including heating the water to less than 2 minutes for a couple of Americano brews.

Loves2save1338409766.6971168 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007CA

Funny just saw consumer report reviews on the one cup coffee makers and Keurig was way down on the list for reliability, customer satisfaction and taste. This does not surprise me.

tmarie1339522306.58118 PostsRegistered 2/15/2007

thanks for all your input! i went ahead and bought one from BB&B. i figured i couldn't go wrong since their return policy is great. it's worked great so far-so we'll see how long it lasts.

smile.....there are no coincidences

4uthebest1339523632.9973527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 6/12/2012 tmarie said:

thanks for all your input! i went ahead and bought one from BB&B. i figured i couldn't go wrong since their return policy is great. it's worked great so far-so we'll see how long it lasts.

I think you will really like it and as you said,, BB&B is the place to go as their exchange/return policy is great. I have saved quite a bundle on extended warranties having bought my appliances at BB&B.

BecauseCats1339524477.75609 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

I worked at BB&B and used to get alot of returns on the Cuisinarts. I love my Keurig, never a problem.

4uthebest1339526269.0033527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 6/12/2012 MardiGras said:

I worked at BB&B and used to get alot of returns on the Cuisinarts. I love my Keurig, never a problem.

Welcome to Chinese manufacturing and their quality control. I have gone through 2 platinum Keurigs and yet the Cuisinart has been stellar for more than 2 years now...No matter what you buy now that is made in China is victim to this "disease".

cookin_guy1339623577.187178 PostsRegistered 4/2/2008

I got the cuisinart as refurbished at a BigLots store for under $100. Simple choice for me.

4uthebest1339653518.4033527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 6/13/2012 cookin_guy said:

I got the cuisinart as refurbished at a BigLots store for under $100. Simple choice for me.

I would think that choice is simple too except for the fact that the return/exchange time period at BB&B is virtually unlimited and since purchasing my appliances there I have saved quite a bit that I would have spent on extended warranties. If you are not concerned about the K Machine breaking down after 30 days, then BigLots deal is fine.

Page 1 of 1