TSV(R) Preview
119 Members and 11542 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Is Tilapia Fish Bad For You?

Started 1337177516.65 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1337278071.203 by arrabella

I love this fish but I have heard it isn't that good for you. Does anyone know why?

Page 1 of 2
only shops­ online1337178278.645565 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

Most of the Tilapia found in stores is farm raised, as is catfish. Because of their environment, and the way they are fed, they are high in Omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 6's are believed to be inflammatory, as opposed to Omega 3's which are anti-inflammatory.

I was so sorry when I read this about a year ago. I'm not a fish lover, and Tilapia was one of the few fish I would eat. I had stopped eating salmon, because most of it was farm raised, and I don't like the wild salmon.

di-mc1337178547.6577506 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

The farms the tilapia are raised in are mainly in Indonesia. The ponds are horribly over-stocked so they have to dump large quantities of anti-biotics into the water to keep the fish healthy. I don't want to consume fish that are satuated in anti-biotics.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Missey11337178802.7533174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA
On 5/16/2012 di-mc said:

The farms the tilapia are raised in are mainly in Indonesia. The ponds are horribly over-stocked so they have to dump large quantities of anti-biotics into the water to keep the fish healthy. I don't want to consume fish that are satuated in anti-biotics.

Yes you are right and that is why I don't buy tilapia. The same thing applies to farmed salmon too even though I believe the salmon comes from the US.

summersage1337178831.6072324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010

Hi Butterfly12!

Well, it depends who you ask. I ordered Tilapia from QVC a few weeks ago and asked people on the boards about it because I had never had it.

I got tons of responses. There was everything from, They are bottom feeders, Very dirty, Unhealthy, Don't have the healthy nutrients that other fish do, Saw a documentary of what they eat and I'll never eat them again, to Well, lobsters, shrimp, etc are considered bottom feeders and they're fine, We eat Tilapia all the time and love it because it isn't "fishy" tasting, It's delicious, still contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids.

Well, I cancelled my order, but the next day went ahead and reordered it. It was the gourmet Southwest Breaded Talapia.

It's absolutely delicious!! I don't find it dirty or disgusting and personally, I don't think it's bad for you. We'll be buying it again.

That's my own personal opinion. I'm sure you'll get LOTS of others on here.

You have to read up on the fish and decide for yourself. There is much debate over this fish by Doctors and Scientists themselves.

This is a great link (not a long read at all) by the Mayo Clinic and their take on it

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tilapia/MY00167

Summer

"most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine" Ralph Walso Emerson

Greenner1337180435.377303 PostsRegistered 11/17/2008

I have a "good fish, bad fish" article I have kept about types of fish to eat. U.S. farm raised tilapia get's a green light, so eat up. The way the article breaks it down is in 3 columns, green, yellow and red.

Darlene in­ Georgia1337180452.8671006 PostsRegistered 8/25/2009

Summer, I'm with you, I think we all have to decide for ourself if something is good/bad. If we listened to all the reports and tried to follow their suggestions we would be in a constant state of confusion, whereas, one day something is good for you and the next day it is not. Personally I love tilapia, not the fishy taste that other fish has. I laughed when I saw this post because my dinner tonight is going to be tilapia. I've not tried the Stuffin Gourmet's tilapia but I have had the chicken breast several times, very good products.

MsViking1337181481.08385 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012Las Vegas

I agree that each of us needs to decide what is good/bad etc but I'm going to give my opinion on this just the same.

I would never allow my family to eat Tiliapia. It's only in the last few years that you have seen it being sold as "food". How many of you remember this being served when you were a kid? Not me. This fish, aside from other issues with it is farm raised in horrible conditions. In fact, I won't buy any farm raised fish, only wild caught. Almost all Tilapia is a genetic mish mash that has been fed hormones to keep the populations male. This is being done in large scale to almost all farmed fish. The fact that Tiliapia is so popular is because of succesfful ad campaigns and the cheap price they can offer it at. You get what you pay for, it's cheap for a reason.

This is why I don't eat it or serve it to my family.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

di-mc1337181513.0137506 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

Oh, tilapia is very tasty, however, I don't want to eat something that comes out of a polluted pond. I've seen videos of the ponds these fish are raised in, there's hardly room for them to move! That's why the high levels of anti-biotics are necessary.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

MalteseMom­ma1337183348.4137710 PostsRegistered 8/15/2006

They feed from the garbage on the bottom of the sea.I just found this out recently.

Last yr I was eating the Q's SW talipa at least 3 or 4 x a week.I loved it.couldn't get enough...Then I developed such a bad rash I had to go to the dr for it.I don't know what it came from but I really believed it had to be from too much fish.To this day I just cannot eat fish of any kind anymore,even though I'd love to my mind rejects it .{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

When you reach the end of your rope,you will find the hem of His garment

chickenbutt1337183652.0824232 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Tilapia is something to eat in moderation only. IIRC, there was an article a while back about it not being a good choice for preg women or children unless only eaten in severe moderation.

Personally, I like it but haven't had it for a while. Where I shop they were getting it from better sources back then, but I don't know what the deal is on that now.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Kathleen1337183798.4513148 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

You might want to read what some reputable sources say:

Mayo Clinic

tiamaria1337184136.5832583 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006
On 5/16/2012 Kathleen said:

You might want to read what some reputable sources say:

Mayo Clinic

Thanks! Interesting!

boby1337185504.8373096 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

It is not my purpose to convince anyone that they should eat anything they don't want to, but a couple of misconceptions need to be cleared up.

First of all, I don't know what anyone else was eating as a kid, but tilapia as a food fish didn't come along yesterday. They used to be called St. Peter's fish because they are said to be the fish that were "involved" in the multiplication of the loaves and fishes in the Bible, so they have been consumed for at least 2,000 years.

Secondly, they aren't exclusively bottom feeders. They do eat a lot of stuff that other fish don't touch, including all kinds of surface plants. In the process they consume mosquito larvae which helps control mosquito populations. In the wild they actually improve the quality of the water they inhabit, since they help control the oxygen and detritus levels in those waters. Several cities deliberately stock their water supplies with tilapia for these reasons.

Thirdly, they don't eat anything off the bottom of the sea because in the wild they are a freshwater fish. That's kind of a moot point because just about all tilapia consumed is farmed.

I will readily agree that the poopbeds of Asia are a source of fish to be avoided. Fortunately I live in a state that requires labeling of the source of seafood.

In short, if you like it, eat it. If not, don't. Needless to say moderation is the key here, like just about everything else.

HappyVal1337185668.077644 PostsRegistered 6/9/2011

Thanks OP for raising the question, and thanks to all who have educated me on this subject, and given reviews for the PG's Southwestern Tilapia. I just placed my order!

pink dogwo­od1337186563.993173 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

oh my goodness - you ladies are making me crazy over this one! Hubby & I LOVE both tilapia & catfish and eat both pretty often. I've never heard any of this about either fish.

We also eat salmon, grouper, shrimp, sea bass. In fact just had grouper cutters for dinner last eve. and they were GREAT!

I did just read the Mayo Clinic report as well.

This will not stop us from eating any of these fishes and if we die from eating tilapia and/or catfish oh well - at least we went down happy! Moderation I guess is the key here.

What would Dr Oz have to say about this I wonder.....I may just have to email him.

MsViking1337186652.00385 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012Las Vegas

Of course Tiliapia didn't come along yesterday but in this county, it's a recent addition. It was brought here originally to control plant population in various ponds and lakes with often disasterous results.

Also, the number one producer (by a huge margin) is China. No thank you.

Last edited on 5/16/2012

Last edited on 5/16/2012

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Alsee1337197377.0632563 PostsRegistered 11/21/2006

I've also was told that it is a"fatty" fish and one to avoid - not good fats.

Last edited on 5/16/2012

Last edited on 5/16/2012

googleme1337197932.0072830 PostsRegistered 3/20/2012

I ate this fish until I started reading these threads.

A friend said it is the "bottom feeder" and eats all the bad stuff from other fish, et al.

I guess I'll have to do a google search and find out...restaurants serve it here all the time{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Lynneuk1337207225.598256 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

I have never liked the taste, it always tastes like dirt to me.

I prefer haddock or cod but it is expensive for the good stuff.

Pelham1337208015.743833 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

Tilapia tastes mild to me and is one of the few seafoods the other half will eat so we have it every once in a while. Would much rather have wild salmon, tuna, cod, halibut, trout or shellfish.

catprincess1337210316.152365 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007Rocky Mountains

Most of the tilapia consumed in the US is farm raised in the US or Canada. It is raised in clean freshwater ponds & not fed garbage! Personally it is not my favorite-but it is really being pushed in my local area because it is a sustainable source fish.

catprincess1337210346.2272365 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007Rocky Mountains

Most of the tilapia consumed in the US is farm raised in the US or Canada. It is raised in clean freshwater ponds & not fed garbage! Personally it is not my favorite-but it is really being pushed in my local area because it is a sustainable source fish.

depglass1337211574.73324103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

We now have a USA only seafood rule in this house. I personally would rather eat possibly contaminated shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico over definitely contaminated shrimp from overseas.

Missey11337212580.0473174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA
On 5/16/2012 depglass said:

We now have a USA only seafood rule in this house. I personally would rather eat possibly contaminated shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico over definitely contaminated shrimp from overseas.

I agree.

Missey11337212717.913174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA
On 5/16/2012 catprincess said:

I have to disagree with you. I have searched for US Tilapia. None to be had. It is all imported. I found it one time from a small grocery store that labeled it from US but I didn't believe it. I check all the time it is mostly from Indonesia.

If you have found it from the US, I would like to know what store.

Page 1 of 2