Maxi Dresses
154 Members and 10962 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

looking for a tried and true lasagna pressure cooker recipe please

Started 1332993270.39 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1333766265.25 by Elbelle

if anyone has a good no fail great for company pressure cooker lasagna recipe, i would appreciate it.

i have 2 pressure cookers by cooks essentials ....both are digital electric pc's which are

4 qt and 6 quart, and both are round.

thanks!

Page 1 of 1
suzyQ31333038259.19322965 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I have several very good PC cookbooks and don't recall seeing a recipe for lasagna or many other casserole-type dishes. And when I googled "pressure cooker lasagna," I didn't come up with much at all.

JMO, but I think that lasagna is a dish that particularly lends itself to pressure cooking. I wuuld just cook it conventionally.

chickenbutt1333039907.35322690 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Hi Redman and Suzy!

Redman - are you truly married to the idea of making the lasagne in the pressure cooker? I know there are plenty of great lasagne recipes but I would agree with SuzyQ that this particular dish is better made in the conventional way. I have a recipe I made up, but it's extensive so I don't think it would be what you are looking for (i.e. the fact that mine is pretty labor and ingredient intensive and you might be looking for something more convenient). I hope you find what you're looking for but, truly, you might want to consider baking the lasagne in the ovenfor the best result.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

lacey11333040120.6432048 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Redman, I know what you're asking and I'm sorry I don't have the recipe. I'm sure that I heard that there was a PC lasagna recipe in one of Bob Warden's books. I hope someone posts it as I would like to see it, too.

redman111333173066.743460 PostsRegistered 3/30/2005

reason for asking if anyone knows of a pc lasagna recipe is because it does not have to be watched so closely when made in a pressure cooker, and raw uncooked noodles can be placed in the pc as opposed to the very time consuming oven method we always used. our pc's also brown, steam, bake and slow cook so they are really multi cookers.

now that my wife has painful advanced carpal tunnel syndrome i do the cooking, and for me i prefer pc to oven cooking any day. it is easier and faster, and i don't have to worry if the darn oven temp is correct or inaccurate, and dealing with various oven thermometers are really a pain. also the smoke alarm goes berserk whenever we use the oven, and that really is frustrating.

i clean the oven thoroughly once monthly and yet the darn smoke alarm still sounds off. we went through 5 different smoke alarms and they all sounded off, so this is another reason why i really detest using the oven.

if it were up to me i'de just as soon bbq outside and make everything, but can't really call that a healthy diet now, can i.

thanks so very much for replying ladies. i did an internet search before posting but could not find a pc lasagna recipe, but if there is a recipe for pressure cooked lasagna in that cookbook lacie1 mentioned, i hope perhaps someone can post it.

(we have 5 pc cook books, but not one of them have a pressure cooker asagna recipe, and we really do not need to buy anymore cook books, since my wife has over 300 cook books now). when she was able to cook she was a gourmet cook, but i was not gifted with that talent, so i just read the recipes from thecook books we have, and put the meal together in the pc.

cooking is necessary but using the pressure cooker frees me for helping my wife do other things she requires but can no longer do, and i rather care for her needs than babysit an oven and erratic smoke alarm situation when making an oven meal.

again we thank everyone for their kind replies.

suzyQ31333211238.8422965 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

OP, you can bake a lasagna very easily without cooking the noodles first. They make no-boil lasagna noodles, but even the regular ones will work find -- just be sure add more sauce or liquid. A quick google will probably give you more exact instructions, but it's a breeze.

There really is no watching or worry once you put the dish in the oven to bake. You don't need to use a thermometer, just set your timer and you're fine. I would think that it's as easy if not easier than trying to pressure cook it. I'd be surprised if the temperature used to bake a lasagna would set your smoke alarm off since you shouldn't be baking it any higher than, at the most, 375 degrees. But it sounds as if something's up with that since you've gone through so many alarms.

The fact that neither you nor I could find any recipes online for pressure cooking lasagna or in our cookbooks is, I would think, an indication that the pressure cooker is much more geared towards other types of foods and recipes -- reducing the time for foods that otherwise require lengthy cooking times, primarily. BTW, it's also wonderful for making a perfect risotto without the need to stand there and continually add liquid and stir.

If you are determined to find such recipes, I wish you well in your search. And I do empathize with your situation. As for grilling outside, we love that, too. But even though we live in an area with a year-round climate that allows for it, we just don't tend to think of it during the winter. You can absolutely rely on healthful foods, though, if you stick to grilling small amounts of lean meats and/or lots of grilled veggies. Cooking a whole chicken or turkey is also a good option, and you'd have lots for leftovers.

Good luck.

redman111333220848.03460 PostsRegistered 3/30/2005

thank you so very much suzyq3, for taking the time and posting your very thorough, thoughtful, and very helpful reply.

i greatly appreciated your advisements.

happy holidays!

Brabls1333223967.0214740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

And there is the option of a skillet lasagna.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Kitchen-and-Food-Talk/topic/258619/single-skillet-recipes-from-the-today-show-that-chris-kimball-cooked.aspx

I agree with suzyQ3. I think you may be overcomplicating the cooking. Just put it in the over uncovered for an hour.

beba511333248036.83306 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011
The recipes is in the great food fast cook book by bob warden. You use no boil noodles, I would look it up for you, but I am to lazy. It was posted a few weeks back,on this forum.

DayDreamer1333289279.4231388 PostsRegistered 8/8/2006Texas
On 3/31/2012 beba51 said: The recipes is in the great food fast cook book by bob warden. You use no boil noodles, I would look it up for you, but I am to lazy. It was posted a few weeks back,on this forum.

As beba51 stated, the recipe is in Bob's "Great Food Fast" recipe book and can be found on page 43. However, you do not need "no boil noodles" as the recipe reads 8 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles.

I apologize for not posting the recipe, but I do not wish to encounter any copyright problem.

Fran

Last edited on 4/1/2012

Last edited on 4/1/2012

Fran

Pelham1333291645.03833 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

Since your pc functions as a slow cooker, search for crock pot lasagna recipes. These are plentiful.

depglass1333303883.222716 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Is it OK to copy a recipe if you credit the author? If so, I will look for my cookbook and post it. I never thought about a copyright problem.

lacey11333305057.912048 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Someone please post the recipe. We will all sign a pledge that Bob Warden is the author!

depglass1333305668.3222716 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

OK, I'm going to start typing now. Anyone care to race?

depglass1333306342.2822716 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Pressure Cooker Lasagna by Bob Warden

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 yellow onion diced

1 pound lean ground beef

salt and pepper

1 24 oz jar chunky spaghetti sauce

1/4 cup water

2 pounds whole milk ricotta cheese

2 large eggs

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

8 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan on the stove top over high heat. Add onions, ground beef and a pinch of salt and pepper, sauteing until browned.

2. Stir spaghetti sauce and water into the ground beef mixture and remove from heat.

3. In a large mixing bowl use a fork to whisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.

4. Fill the bottom of the pressure cooker with water, just until 1/4 inch deep. Ladle 1/5 of the beef and sauce mixture into the water and then cover with a layer of lasagna noodles, breaking them to fit.

5. Cover the noodles with a layer of 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Cover the cheese mixture with another layer of 1/5 of the sauce, then another layer of noodles. Repeat for two more layers, ending with noodles topped with the final layer of sauce.

6. Securely lock the cooker's lid and set for six minutes on high. Quick release the cooker's pressure, remove cover, and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Re-cover and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.

Don't copy this until I proof read it! Looks OK on measurements, found two spelling typos.

Bob said he tested this in 4 qt round pressure cooker.

Last edited on 4/1/2012

Last edited on 4/1/2012

Last edited on 4/1/2012

lacey11333311166.832048 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

depglass: I appreciate your hard work. I hope the FBI doesn't come to your door! Thank You.

GoodStuff1333311564.0913611 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Glad someone came up with a recipe for you, OP, and I hope it works out. Like other posters, I just can't imagine lasagna being as good without that slightly browned-on-top goodness that you get in the oven.......... As others have said, you can buy the no-cook noodles, which just leaves you to brown meat and layer ingredients in a baking dish, pretty much like you'd do in a pressure cooker, crock pot, or other method. I'd go the conventional oven route with this one.

When I'm baking things that might boil over, I always put the container on a cookie sheet or other tray lined with foil to catch any spills, which avoids a lot of oven mess.

okaywithea­sypay1333316000.84328 PostsRegistered 3/27/2011

Thanks redman and depglas, I have been looking for a pc recipe for lasagna also . We like lasagna and I like the browning that happens to it in the oven but am willing to forgo it for not heating up my kitchen in the summer or our unseasonably warm spring .

If Bob Warden or QVC comes after you for printing it I will go your bail!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I copied it also. I plan to buy his cookbook when I can as it gets so many good reviews. I bought Montel Williams PC and really like it but would like an extra cookbook.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

redman111333764302.927460 PostsRegistered 3/30/2005

oh wow.....

thanks so much for posting the Pressure Cooker Lasagna by Bob Warden depglass, that was so nice of you, and we really appreciate it very much!

my wife is doing a happy dance, and so am i.

to those who also needed the recipe, i am glad i posted to ask, and now everyone can try it, thanks to depglass.

again we thank everyone who posted their nice replies:).

happy holidays to everyone, and this is one dish that will also grace our easter table.

Last edited on 4/6/2012

Last edited on 4/6/2012

Elbelle1333766265.25234 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007NJ

depglass,

thanks for posting the recipe. Another reason I like having the option for preparing this in the PC is that sometimes I am entertaining and do not have enough room in my oven!

Page 1 of 1