Just-Reduced Clearance
19 Members and 13745 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Vitamix - making ice cream

Started 1332715268.173 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1332805588.257 by di-mc

I have a new Vitamix. I've tried making ice cream and sorbet, but just can't seem to get it to form into a frozen mix like it's demonstrated on TV. It never hardens - just stays in it's liquid form. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Page 1 of 1
dooneymom1332716074.563346 PostsRegistered 4/12/2007

I hope somebody gives you a tip because I'd like to get one of these in the future. If the ice cream isn't coming out right, I'll have to re-think it. I'm sure somebody who owns one of these will come along and help you out Smile

4uthebest1332716138.6973526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

There may be a couple of things affecting your results..

Your Ice may not be cold enough would be something to look at.. I made sure my freezer was turned lower so it would work, but also what I did many times, particulary when I was making vanilla was to freeze the milk/cream/sugar vanilla mixture in icecube trays and then when I was ready for ice-cream to take them out and process them.

Also you want to be fast when you are doing the ice-cream process for if you take too long or are too gentle and consequently slow to process, you will find the ice starts to turn to water. You really want to smash the daylights out of the stuff when you are processing it. Do not be afraid of breaking the machine as it will take that and much more. Just MAKE sure you NEVER use the tamper without the top on.

These things should help but if not let us know..

lacey11332718784.6072293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Try a ratio of 1/3 liquid to 2/3 ice. I have had success using milk( any kind), a frozen banana, flavoring, ( vanilla, chocolate mix, etc.) and ice. Don't run it too long or it will get warm, stop and add more ice.

ALTECHNET1332728205.54725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

Pour in some 100% apple juice or grape juice the kosher one works the best about 1/4 to 1 cup. You can then add your frozen strawberries to your vitamix. This is what I do. Can also add ice cubes but not that much. Again this has to be done quick and use the stick to push down on the frozen fruits if you need too. Do this on low var speed. If done right it will freeze up and your done. Enjoy!

Windows Client / Server OS and Android OS Expert

pupcakes1332730595.1520954 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I lucked out and picked up one of these last summer for $25 at a senior park neighborhood sale. The lady said it was too hard to use. I love this machine, tho haven't used it often and only for smoothies so far. To be honest I prefer my Ninja which I love more.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

ALTECHNET1332733424.58725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA
On 3/25/2012 PinkSugar said:

I lucked out and picked up one of these last summer for $25 at a senior park neighborhood sale. The lady said it was too hard to use. I love this machine, tho haven't used it often and only for smoothies so far. To be honest I prefer my Ninja which I love more.

The Ninja has a place too, I just have too many of these stuff here the Vitamix cost me a lot but I use it to make my green and orange color drinks to keep me fit. I don't like making soup in the Vitamix but everything else works for it. But $25 bucks for one is a steal though. Your lucky.. I've seem them for $599 to $699 in B&M, and those have smoothie, soup ice cream mode along with the 1 to 10 Dali.

Last edited on 3/25/2012

Last edited on 3/25/2012

santorini1332733777.7036909 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007

I haven't made it in a while, but I'm pretty sure I remember the rule being 2 parts frozen fruit to one part liquid -- i.e, 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 cup low fat milk (or cream), and then whatever sweetener you want (I used brown sugar). Mine has always turned out frozen and not too liquidy.

4uthebest1332735623.523526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/25/2012 ALTECHNET said:

Pour in some 100% apple juice or grape juice the kosher one works the best about 1/4 to 1 cup. You can then add your frozen strawberries to your vitamix. This is what I do. Can also add ice cubes but not that much. Again this has to be done quick and use the stick to push down on the frozen fruits if you need too. Do this on low var speed. If done right it will freeze up and your done. Enjoy!

If you are making vanilla or chocolate or other ice-creams that are not fruit, you sure do NOT want to use apple or grape juice. You really should follow the recipes in the book and you simply just START on low and in a couple-three seconds after you begin get the speed to high and use the tamper to process.

This is directly from Vitamix site notice what is said about getting ice-cream to freeze...

Vitamix Vanilla Ice Cream

1 cup (240 ml) half and half or whole milk

1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar

1/4 cup (20 g) nonfat dry milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups (960 ml) ice cubes

1. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.

2. Select Variable 1.

3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.

4. Use the tamper to press ingredients into the blades.

5. In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form.

6. Stop machine. Do not overmix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.

Note: If mixture has the consistency of a milkshake, firm it up quickly by adding another cup of frozen ice cubes. Process until smooth.

ALTECHNET1332746649.69725 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010USA

But it is good to make your own stuff and my smooties come out just fine or frozen less fatty ice cream best to eat healthy without the extra sugar. I also use my own mixure of premiun oranges, organic lemons, limes, carrots, pineapples, strawberries, pears, premiun red huge apples, grandy smith apples, banana, rasberries, blueberries, tangre, etc.

I can use my own juice which is better to use on my frozen organic strawberries taste better to do that.

Nightowlz1332797409.369203 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have never made any ice cream or sorbet. Check out these recipes. There are a lot online.

http://coolbreeze.hubpages.com/hub/ice-cream-recipes

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

4uthebest1332801867.8673526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I find it harder than ever on these boards to try to present facts when things are being said that you need to take with a grain or more properly a box of salt.

Because of the diversity of responses to your post, I strongly recommend that you take advantage of the excellent customer service and call Vitamix and ask your questions to them as I really think you would be far better off in so doing. You might even have other questions that they can answer for you as well and perhaps you can even post on this board what they told you instead of listening to very conflicting statements here.

In this way you will be going to the subject matter experts who in my experience have been easy to understand and solve most any problem you might pose to them.

di-mc1332802636.87109 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

For my taste, using ice cubes to make ice cream just doesn't end up with a real ice cream consistency. You end up with some kind of frozen concoction, but it's not ice cream.

Someone stated that the possible problem regarding op's question was that the ice wasn't cold enough. How is that possible? Isn't ice, well, ice? How can ice be not cold enough?

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

4uthebest1332805235.933526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/26/2012 di-mc said:

For my taste, using ice cubes to make ice cream just doesn't end up with a real ice cream consistency. You end up with some kind of frozen concoction, but it's not ice cream.

Someone stated that the possible problem regarding op's question was that the ice wasn't cold enough. How is that possible? Isn't ice, well, ice? How can ice be not cold enough?

that is very easy to answer.,, Ice that is just frozen is about 31.5 degrees and it is still ice BUT Ice that is frozen and kept at 5 degrees is 5 degrees ok ?

di-mc1332805588.2577109 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world
On 3/26/2012 4uthebest said:
On 3/26/2012 di-mc said:

that is very easy to answer.,, Ice that is just frozen is about 31.5 degrees and it is still ice BUT Ice that is frozen and kept at 5 degrees is 5 degrees ok ?

Thank you for the answer! I always thought once water was frozen solid, that was it. I had no idea it could become even colder. I learned something new, and I thank you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 1 of 1