New Holiday Decor
155 Members and 17860 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Chris Kimball (ATK) is a VERY rude person!

Started 1332603658.937 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1332734818.94 by PixieMouse

This morning at the start of his show on Sacher Torte someone wrote in complaining that he wasn't nice about boxed cake mixes. The person said something to the effect that some eggs and a boxed mix is about all they could do. His answer was "We like to cook. Eat an apple. I'd rather eat an apple than a boxed cake mix."

To me that is just really rude and consescending for no reason. Just tacky to say that. Why demean viewers? I am not a huge fan of that show in the first place, but there's no call for that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 2
SweetieBee1332603923.063241 PostsRegistered 2/21/2012
Doesn't sound rude to me. When people don't agree with other people the "R" word gets pulled out. Everyone has a right to an opinion but some people make it personal because it is all about them.

Sooner1332604953.85315150 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/24/2012 SweetieBee said: Doesn't sound rude to me. When people don't agree with other people the "R" word gets pulled out. Everyone has a right to an opinion but some people make it personal because it is all about them.

To me it is putting someone down by implying that something they like is not good enough for you. Implying that they are "less than" because they eat boxed cake mix. I really hate that sort of thing. I find looking down on others very distasteful and well, just plain mean. Why dismiss someone like that? I always feel sorry for people that get treated like that.

I'll add isn't that the definition of bullies? People who make others feel bad about themselves?

Last edited on 3/24/2012

Last edited on 3/24/2012

Beebee21332605139.983929 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009
On 3/24/2012 SweetieBee said: Doesn't sound rude to me. When people don't agree with other people the "R" word gets pulled out. Everyone has a right to an opinion but some people make it personal because it is all about them.

I agree with you. Freedom of speech, and ultimately thought as well, is the result of PC run amok, in my opinion. Are we really such a bunch of frail minds that we can't handle the truth? A direct personal attack is one thing; an expression of one's own likes and dislikes is another. The distinction should be clear.

SweetieBee1332608648.79241 PostsRegistered 2/21/2012
BeeBee you said it much better than I could have. Now people are bullies because they bake their cakes from scratch ? I personally hate boxed cake mix and if that makes you feel bad about yourself, Sooner, your issues are much greater than Duncan Hines. The only one who should make you feel bad about yourself is you and that feeling should be reserved for very extreme situations.

little mis­s sunshine1332609845.732448 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

Nobody can put you down but yourself. Don't blame others for your feeling "put down". I didn't see the presentation of the product you're talking about, but who cares what this guy or gal thinks. If they don't want a boxed cake mix, so what. Many people like to know what goes in their food so they stay away from prepared mixes. Many read the ingredients on the package and decide that, if they can't pronounce it and it sounds "chemically", they won't buy it. There's always a choice to be made.

Lynneuk1332610414.928254 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

I've always perceived him as extremely condescending. I like to read the magazine but can't bear to watch him.

NewNail1332624333.732164 PostsRegistered 10/31/2011Los Angeles, CA

I have never seen Chris Kimball but love, love, love the magazines.

They are so into perfecting a recipe that I can see that as his response to the caller. I do not think it is out of line. His taste buds are probably more refined to be able to taste the difference.

rondell1332625360.98313373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

Well let's face it, an apple is healthier whether from a box or scratch. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

jasbel1332626903.3632423 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008

Honestly, I have seen way 'ruder' comments on these boards regarding the hosts on QVC and other topics. The Food Forum is the best and most positive. I understand where Chris Kimball is coming from because I have a sister that feels the same way, and we were raised by a baking purist.

4uthebest1332628232.4233527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 3/24/2012 jasbel said:

Honestly, I have seen way 'ruder' comments on these boards regarding the hosts on QVC and other topics. The Food Forum is the best and most positive. I understand where Chris Kimball is coming from because I have a sister that feels the same way, and we were raised by a baking purist.

ditto

Beebee21332628547.333929 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009

Just this thread for example. A person has been attacked and called rude! And why? Because that person expressed his opinion about a thing! Now really, which is actually rude?

Think about it!

humphrey1332642795.2931101 PostsRegistered 12/27/2007MA

I have always thought Christopher Kimball is rude and condescending towards everyone, even the chefs who work for him. He has a reputation as being very exacting, which is fine in his company, but comes across on TV as well. I cannot stand to watch his show or read anything he writes. Everyone has a right to their own opinion of course.

jaburg1332643581.7871005 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I guess it's all perception, I've never found CK to be rude. I feel the same way about cake mix, and I don't think that makes me rude at all. After all, it's just what I prefer when it comes to cake (and food in general).

proudlyfro­mNJ1332643779.58959 PostsRegistered 5/1/2010

I have read that he is rude, but I have never met him, so I can't say. But I would say I have heard he is more rude than not.

KYToby1332655341.9871380 PostsRegistered 2/19/2012

At the risk of being called rude, I must say, "Seriously?".

Complaining about a cooking show (which you admit you do not really like) because it fesocus on cooking? Complaining because someone does not like boxed cake mixes (I detest them as well)?

This is Christopher Kimball of "Cook's Illustrated," "America's Test Kitchen," and "Cook's Counry." His company spcializes in producing good, quality dishes -- from scratch!

If you do not like it (which you admit you do not), perhaps Sandra Lee would be more to your liking.

Sooner1332665691.4815150 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/24/2012 Beebee2 said:

Just this thread for example. A person has been attacked and called rude! And why? Because that person expressed his opinion about a thing! Now really, which is actually rude?

Think about it!

No because he was dismissive of the person and their opinion. He could have disagreed in a polite way, and laughed about it or said everyone to his own choice, but he acted like his opinion was the only one that counted. Don't you think it is rude to just say "Have an apple?" I do! My way or the highway isn't very nice is it? About someone eating boxed cake mix cake??????? That's his attitude.

NJ Gnome1332703581.18740 PostsRegistered 5/1/2010

Anyone who says "I'd rather eat an apple than a boxed cake mix" is only saying that most box mixes are not for human consumption. The ingredient list of most box cake mixes is a science project gone terribly wrong. Have you forgotten the basic ingredient rule? IF YOU CAN'T PRONOUNCE IT YOU SHOULDN'T EAT IT.

PixieMouse1332703887.217432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007
On 3/24/2012 Sooner said:

To me it is putting someone down by implying that something they like is not good enough for you. Implying that they are "less than" because they eat boxed cake mix. I really hate that sort of thing. I find looking down on others very distasteful and well, just plain mean. Why dismiss someone like that? I always feel sorry for people that get treated like that.

I'll add isn't that the definition of bullies? People who make others feel bad about themselves?

Last edited on 3/24/2012

Aren't YOU looking down on Chris Kimball here? LOL what hypocrisy.

America's Test Kitchen is about making it easier/more understandable for home cooks to COOK FROM SCRATCH. It's not about using boxed mixes or prepared foods. Do you also think it's "mean" when they taste-test various name-brand products and then say how truly awful some of them are?

::eyeroll::

PixieMouse1332704135.357432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007
On 3/24/2012 Sooner said:

This morning at the start of his show on Sacher Torte someone wrote in complaining that he wasn't nice about boxed cake mixes. The person said something to the effect that some eggs and a boxed mix is about all they could do. His answer was "We like to cook. Eat an apple. I'd rather eat an apple than a boxed cake mix."

To me that is just really rude and consescending for no reason. Just tacky to say that. Why demean viewers? I am not a huge fan of that show in the first place, but there's no call for that sort of thing.

America's Test Kitchen is about making it easier/more understandable for home cooks to COOK FROM SCRATCH. It's not about using boxed mixes or prepared foods. Do you also think it's "rude" when they blind taste-test various name-brand products, reveal them all and then say how truly awful some of them are?

It's clear you don't grasp the concept behind this particular program, so why dump on it due to your own lack of understanding?

Last edited on 3/25/2012

Last edited on 3/25/2012

Clover291332704878.3310626 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I love box cake mixes, and I'm not offended if someone else doesn't. I don't like celery, peanut butter or frosting made with Crisco. There's room in the world for all tastes and preferences, as long as they don't harm consenting adults.

di-mc1332705280.5177502 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

Holy cow! Anyone ever seen/heard Chef Ramsey? Chefs by the nature of their work must be very discerning when it comes to food. I think it would be obvious that a true chef wouldn't have any use for boxed cake mixes.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Sooner1332710438.5615150 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think there are a lot of food snobs and food police that think they are smarter and better than the rest of the country and are snobs. Shame on them for looking down on someone for what they eat! Lots of fine good people eat boxed cake mix. Smart and well educated people too. Just because someone doesn't share your eating habits how silly people can be. It's just about what you eat. It's not about who you are. Doesn't make you better or smarter or live longer 'cause you don't eat boxed cake mix. My dad lived to 96 and ate a lot of them. A healthy old sharp mind 96 I might add.

Jingles1332710936.1818 PostsRegistered 12/28/2005

I thought the whole purpose of watching a cooking show was to learn how to cook from scratch. When they sarted opening boxes on the Food Network shows, is when they lost me.

bigkat1332716114.6773931 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan

If this works... http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=36495

He basically read an e-mail from the "angry e-mail" bag. The way he was talking was not in a condescending way. He said laughingly (not at the person) we actually like to cook here. I'd rather eat an apple than have a boxed cake mix(he didn't tell them to eat apples). That was it, not much more about it.

We understand you don't care for the man, I wonder why you continue to watch the program?

Most people are not out to get someone or put them down, it's a matter of perception. If you are looking for something wrong, you will always find it.Smile

Beebee21332717580.963929 PostsRegistered 5/31/2009
On 3/25/2012 bigkat said:

If this works... http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=36495

He basically read an e-mail from the "angry e-mail" bag. The way he was talking was not in a condescending way. He said laughingly (not at the person) we actually like to cook here. I'd rather eat an apple than have a boxed cake mix(he didn't tell them to eat apples). That was it, not much more about it.

We understand you don't care for the man, I wonder why you continue to watch the program?

Most people are not out to get someone or put them down, it's a matter of perception. If you are looking for something wrong, you will always find it.Smile

Thank you for this. Suspicions confirmed. There wasn't anything rude at all!

I like the new format on their site; I hadn't visited in awhile.

Page 1 of 2