TSV(R) Preview
70 Members and 9804 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Size of dinner plates

Started 1331324314.217 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1331737344.443 by j marie

Are all dinner plates around 10 1/2". That seems so big, lunch plates 8 ". The plates I use now are 10 1/2" and when I load the dishwasher sometimes I can't bring out the top rack because it gets hung up on the plates on the bottom because they are too big. I was looking at dishes and seems all dinner plates are 10 1/2". Maybe why people eat to large a portion, just a thought!

Page 1 of 1
depglass1331332383.97324103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I am a retired antiques dealer specializing in Depression Glass and Fiesta, so I have a thought on this subject. The size of dinner plates has increased along with the average American's waistline. Many dinner plates in the 30's were 9 inches, now 10 and above is pretty much standard.

GrannyDea1331333902.383981 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

I found some 9" Fiesta plates at Macy's online. Ordered several and love them.

Pie19931331335236.151805 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007

First off I would like to say it is nice to see a thread regarding table china. I too agree the size of the dinner plates have increased. I have 4 sets of dinner plates on a regular daily rotation. Crazy ?! Yep.

The last set of plates purchased came from Walmart of all places and they are the square, clear glass set (2 sets actually). I really love them. I change my table cloth at least once a month and with the change of the table cloth came a change of the tablescape. I resolved the issue of what plates to use with the tablecloth by purchasing the clear plates with I love. In fact I love love love those clear plates.

Pie19931331335343.261805 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007

...... and the glass plates have not collided with the upper deck of the dishwasher.

Maggie Nol­ia1331335508.55714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Dinner forks are larger now, too. I was surprised when I was looking around that dinner forks are larger -- some up to 8" -- as opposed to my old set which the dinner forks are 7 1/4".

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

depglass1331335541.6224103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

That 9" plate from Macy's is their luncheon plate. The dinners are about 10 3/8" But we use the 9" most of the time, unless its steak from the grill, which needs more room.

Ref forks: DH hates those big forks, and he's not a small guy. We use the salad forks as dinner forks as they are exactly the same size as the previous set of stainless we had, which I purchased in the 70's. Paul Revere by Oneida. I'll dig that out again one of these days, I just felt like something new.

Last edited on 3/9/2012

Last edited on 3/9/2012

bunky1331336970.15336 PostsRegistered 6/11/2005North East Florida

I love dinnerware. I used to have a comtemporary all white home.....and I could change the look of what ever room - dining room or eating area.......but changing the placemats/table clothe and the dinnerware.

Love this thread.

LexPex1331337164.31731 PostsRegistered 10/17/2009GO PATS

I have several sets of dinnerware and we use the luncheon plates for most of our meals. DH and I are watching what we eat and I find the size of the plate helps our portions.

I am a collector of depression glass and depglass is right. Instead of my china, I use my depression as "my good service", Not only are the dinner plates small but the berry bowls, luncheon/sandwich plates, glassware etc are small also. We have really become a nation of big eaters.

My dh always grabs the salad/dessert forks. I am actually thinking of going to BB&B to buy single small forks.

formerly "elvis" with 2,000 + posts

bopper1331346061.67714105 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

I love all of your replies, thank you. I love dishes like the rest of you! Valeries tonight were also lovely. I didn't get them but I liked how she mixed and matched also. In agreement on larger plates, larger waists.......

Pie 1993 thanks for the info on the Walmart glass plates. Sounds like a good idea!

Looking at these on Walmarts site

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Square-12pc-Dinnerware-Set/16474410

Last edited on 3/9/2012

Last edited on 3/9/2012

Sooner1331351878.93715184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My Wild Strawberry plates have luncheon plates and they are 9". Time to get them out for spring!

shoekitty1331352729.2212896 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I collect china, don't ask me how I started..but it was an accident. Most of the sets I have are 50 years or older, one set is 85 years. The dinner plates are all 9 in. or smaller, including the ledge. The center of one dinner plate is maybe 5 inchesThe luncheon plate is like one of todays dessert plates. The old dessert plates are small, 5.5 inches. Bopper, what you said about the increase in waistline with the plates, true..true..true. I always tell the grandkids, get a starter and if you want more food, then come back.

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

Sooner1331353751.90715184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I like the older "sauce" or "fruit" bowls that are about 5" in diameter and not very deep. These are great for desserts, side salads, a scoop of ice cream or a strawberry shortcake. They are harder and harder to find now and can get expensive!

Sooner1331353865.10715184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/9/2012 depglass said:

That 9" plate from Macy's is their luncheon plate. The dinners are about 10 3/8" But we use the 9" most of the time, unless its steak from the grill, which needs more room.

Ref forks: DH hates those big forks, and he's not a small guy. We use the salad forks as dinner forks as they are exactly the same size as the previous set of stainless we had, which I purchased in the 70's. Paul Revere by Oneida. I'll dig that out again one of these days, I just felt like something new.

Last edited on 3/9/2012

We got Paul Revere when we got married almost 40 years ago! It really is a small pattern! We got rid of it about 6 years ago and bought a bigger set.

GrannyDea1331354122.897981 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006OK

We also have the Fransican Apple dishes and the luncheon plates with that set or smaller than the ones from Fiesta. That's the reason we got the 9" Fiesta. I love our apple dishes and have lot's of them since we were given extra pieces for gifts. We use them at holidays and other special occasions. But we use the 9" Fiesta for everyday use. And they are pretty. Got about 10 or 12 of them all in different colors. Got the large mugs to match and the larger cereal bowls. Dishes can be fun and so pretty to look at. We have my husband's mother's beautiful china in our glass door china cabinet. And they do look pretty but we don't use them. Probably should but just like using the apple for company. Plus they are easier to care for, I think.

bopper1331388807.1514105 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

I enjoy reading about everyones dishes/china. I don't own any china but I love the beautiful patterns. I shall check out fiesta dishes if I can find 9" plates and mix and match. Get this, I used a sharpie pen and made a mark on one of our bowls we currently use so DH could see he was putting way to much cereal in his bowl in the morning. I marked a 1 cup line so he could see how much to pour! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} He was surprised but agreed plates and bowls now a days are huge.

faeriemoon21331389020.046583 PostsRegistered 1/7/2009

Regarding silverware/flatware, I love the larger Continental size.Smile

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested." ~ Sheldon Cooper ~

shoekitty1331436202.7112896 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 3/10/2012 bopper said:

I enjoy reading about everyones dishes/china. I don't own any china but I love the beautiful patterns. I shall check out fiesta dishes if I can find 9" plates and mix and match. Get this, I used a sharpie pen and made a mark on one of our bowls we currently use so DH could see he was putting way to much cereal in his bowl in the morning. I marked a 1 cup line so he could see how much to pour! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} He was surprised but agreed plates and bowls now a days are huge.

Hey bopper, that is a good idea! Did the marker stay? I need to do that with my husbands rice bowl!! He eats for a family of four. He is thin, but the rice raises his triglycerides. This is off the subject, but my husband is always the target of my wrath when I get on a tangent! I was so miffed at him using all the plates, cups, dishes all the time and leaving them in the sink ..I removed all dishes, glasses etc from cupboard and left one plate, one bowl, one glass, and one set of silverware! He dealt with it for a few days then I noticed he was eating out of the Rubbermaid, Tupperware and the small pots and pans! Now for plan C?

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

Irshgrl312­011331436418.43314456 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 3/10/2012 faeriemoon2 said:

Regarding silverware/flatware, I love the larger Continental size.Smile

I do too. It is much more elegant and sophisticated.

depglass1331492882.08724103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

DD is so averse to doing dishes that she was eating her soup out of the pan. Until she set it on her glass coffee table, that is, and it broke. She just never inherited that love of glass and china that I have.

Sooner1331501959.5315184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/10/2012 shoekitty said:

Hey bopper, that is a good idea! Did the marker stay? I need to do that with my husbands rice bowl!! He eats for a family of four. He is thin, but the rice raises his triglycerides. This is off the subject, but my husband is always the target of my wrath when I get on a tangent! I was so miffed at him using all the plates, cups, dishes all the time and leaving them in the sink ..I removed all dishes, glasses etc from cupboard and left one plate, one bowl, one glass, and one set of silverware! He dealt with it for a few days then I noticed he was eating out of the Rubbermaid, Tupperware and the small pots and pans! Now for plan C?

Plan C: Leave ALL dishes in the sink.

katkitty1331567324.9434730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

I guess I'm the only one who likes large plates. lol!

I like dinner plates about 11" and for a formal dinner setting, 12".

No one has to cram the plate full of food. I just think the food looks much better arranged nicely on a larger plate.

How the food looks on a plate is a large part of it being appetizing. Restaurants know this and use it to their advantage!

Besides, for me, a small plate lends the feel of eating off a paper plate or a buffet where people pile their plate high so it's falling & dripping off the edges.

My current everyday dinner plates are 11".

I'm getting some 12" ones to match my new set !

I've got the 12" fiesta pasta bowls and love them! I don't care if I have to wash them by hand!

Last edited on 3/12/2012

Last edited on 3/12/2012

bopper1331653480.2314105 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007
On 3/11/2012 Sooner said:
On 3/10/2012 shoekitty said:

Plan C: Leave ALL dishes in the sink.

Yes it did stay. My dishwasher top rack rubs on the plates when I pull out the top rack because the plates stand up to high apparently. Your husband sounds like mine. The dishwasher is next to the sink, why can't the dishes make to the dishwasher???

j marie1331737344.4432945 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007

I love all kinds of china. I have more than anyone has a right to have, and if I had the storage space, I'd probably keep collecting. Since I've been in Japan, I've collected handmade pottery, and have come to really appreciate the mixing of many small differently shaped/colored dishes to a place setting. I've shipped a lot back to the States, and find that except for breakfast, I prefer using my Japanese dishes for all foods. Somehow, for breakfast, I like the porcelains. Makes a breakfast special. The Japanese dishes are much smaller, and they do help me control portion size without thinking. I tell myself I can always have seconds if I want to, but most of the time, I'm satisfied.

Page 1 of 1