Give Gorgeous
127 Members and 11607 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

50 % Of Imported Olive Oil Claimed EVOO Is Not; Brands Listed.

Started 1330776660.233 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1332956669.51 by Missey1

"As much as 50 percent of the olive oil sold in the U.S. is not actually pure olive oil, as some brands claiming to be "extra-virgin" or "100 percent Italian," for instance, have actually been adulterated with toxic rapeseed oil, more popularly known as canola oil, soybean oil, and other low-grade oils.

For olive oil to truly be considered "extra-virgin," it has to come from fresh, crushed olives, and not be refined in any way or contain any chemical solvents. It also has to pass certain tests of integrity in order to be considered legitimate, for which many of the brands popularly sold today would fail.

"The legal definition simply says it has to pass certain chemical tests, and in a sensory way it has to taste and smell vaguely of fresh olives, because it's a fruit, and have no faults," said Mueller. "But many of the extra-virgin olive oils on our shelves today in America don't clear [the legal definition]."

Real extra-virgin olive oil should have a vibrant, almost peppery flavor, for instance, and not taste bland or watered down. It is also typically stored in dark, glass bottles so that its array of health-promoting antioxidants, its taste, and its forceful green color -- yes, olive oil should be green, not yellowish in color -- are not harmed by light or damaging UV rays from the sun. For this reason, avoiding olive oil in clear, plastic bottles is recommended.

"What [real olive oil] gets you from a health perspective is a cocktail of 200-plus highly beneficial ingredients that explain why olive oil has been the heart of the Mediterranean diet," added Mueller during his interview with NPR. "Bad olives have free radicals and impurities, and then you've lost that wonderful cocktail ... that you get from fresh fruit, from real extra-virgin olive oil."
http://www.naturalnews.com/035124_olive_oil_adulterated_canola.html

Interesting pdf study at the bottom

Most imported extra-virgin olive oil appears questionable in authenticity
The University of California, Davis published a report on olive oil back in 2010 entitled Tests indicate that imported 'extra virgin' olive oil often fails international and USDA standards. In this report, researchers found that 69 percent of imported and ten percent of California-based oils labeled as olive oil did not pass International Olive Council (IOC) and US Department of Agriculture sensory standards for extra virgin olive oil.

Of those brands tested, the following failed to meet extra-virgin olive oil standards:

• Bertolli
• Carapelli
• Filippo Berio
• Mazzola
• Mezzetta
• Newman's Own
• Pompeian
• Rachel Ray
• Safeway
• Star
• Whole Foods

The following brands were found to meet extra-virgin olive oil standards as part of the study:

• Corto Olive
• California Olive Ranch
• Kirkland Organic
• Lucero (Ascolano)
• McEvoy Ranch Organic

You can read the entire UC Davis Study here:
http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
katkitty1330782837.2734730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

It may not matter to anyone else, but what ticks me off is that I am paying the higher price for quality EVOO and may be getting cheap oil mixed in instead. Here I am thinking we're eating healthy and instead, getting cr*p oil I would never, ever purchase. Grrr.

The Whole Foods one listed surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't. I think the study is referring to their 365 brand, which up until now, I purchased. They used to sell it in dark bottles and switched to cans. Here I thought that the cans were to preserve the quality. That's until I opened a can and it poured yellow not greenish as evoo should be.

Maggie Nol­ia1330783025.8614669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

So the additional components are not listed in the ingredients list?

Can you say false advertising?

Last edited on 3/3/2012

Last edited on 3/3/2012

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

OneHotNana1330783188.4032084 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007Sweet Home Alabama

Ran to my kitchen to see what I purchased last. I have the Flippo Berio. Grrrrr!

Pelham1330786291.217833 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

According to the Mayo Clinic, Canola Oil is not toxic. It is not produced from the rapeseed plant - it is produced from the canola plant which is a hybrid and has very low levels of the offending acid that rapeseed oil is known for. It is considered a healthy oil.

endoqueen1330786705.9471275 PostsRegistered 7/6/2008parallel universe

Thank you, katkitty, for posting this!

It is so sad that good quality producers and farmers are getting swallowed by greedy corrupt ones.

I try hard to find quality farmers and producers and support them. They are the ones making the good stuff with all the health benefits. The others are scam artists. Where is the FDA when we need them? Oh right, busy lying about the safety of Aspartamine.....

endoqueen

katkitty1330787164.144730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 3/3/2012 Pelham said:

According to the Mayo Clinic, Canola Oil is not toxic. It is not produced from the rapeseed plant - it is produced from the canola plant which is a hybrid and has very low levels of the offending acid that rapeseed oil is known for. It is considered a healthy oil.

If you also check, most of the canola grown for consumption is GMO.

I don't want to consume that either!

Why should I pay evoo pricing for canola oil (which I would never use or knowingly buy)? Which is also a cheaper oil as is soybean oil. That's why you see those oils in most packaged foods. It's cheap, whereas evoo has more major health benefits.

If they lie about evoo labelling, why should I trust them that it is not rapeseed oil but "hybrid" (gmo) oil when profit is the name of the game? How would you know? They can label the canola organic & certified but it won't mean a thing. The phoney "100% evoo" has been labelled 'pure' too.

Fool me once......

gonnab1330787455.423035 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

This is alarming to me since I am a big user of EVOO. It is an essential part of my heart-healthy diet. First frequently purchased brands are Bertolli and Carapelli - both of which are on this list! I never heard of those listed as safe!

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

Cindy Shop­per1330787661.26710677 PostsRegistered 11/14/2007

I think this true on many items. It is so sad. Oil is actually health except for the fact that most of what floods the market is processed and oxidized! Sad!

betteb1330787953.7816515 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

Thanks so much for posting.Smile

I have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol{#emotions_dlg.blush} and am trying to modify my diet along with the medication. This is very helpful and I will be taking this list with me to the grocery later today.

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

Pelham1330788211.26833 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

Buy and eat what you're comfortable with. Personally, I've never cared for olive oil but find avocado oil (especially the flavor infused ones) to be tasty. Nutritionally, it's a good alternative to olive oil and does not taste like avocados. I buy the unrefined which has a comparable smoke point as olive oil. The refined type can go up to 500 degrees before smoking.

misspammie1330789003.1812475 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

get this!! last night started slopping Olive Oil on my face!! after trying Dr. Denese/s TSV, I'm in h e l l,,,tore part of my upper lip off last night along eith a hunk of my chin. just did not work for me....packed the system up to return today. I was so hoping for a lovely result. I really think, I'm done with the high end stuff. taken me a while, but live and learn.

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

chandeliers1330789495.2174357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

Although I always use organic coconut oil for cooking, I drizzle organic olive oil on my salads daily. Of course I thought I was buying true evoo, but thanks Paul Newman, I'm not. Wonder if Trader Joe's is true evoo? Couldn't find an extended list on link.

coldlake1330791003.421325 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008

The Kirkland Organic (Costco brand) is very good. They don't always have it in stock, it's not their olive oil in the huge jug but a smaller glass bottle.

depglass1330794752.25324149 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I use Da Vinci extra virgin. Its gold color and in a clear bottle. I started years ago because it was recommended by Cooks Illustrated. It has a mild, not peppery, flavor. I don't care for most olive oils. Wonder why they weren't in the study? Its a pretty big brand in the upper midwest.

CocoaMolly1330802065.3819 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007Midwest

Thanks Kat for posting this info. I just purchased the 365 brand at Whole Foods. The one I purchased is 100% organic in a dark green bottle. There are several 365 brands of EVOO at WF. I'm hoping the one I purchased isn't part of the list.

I also use canola oil that I purchase from amazon.com. It is pure expeller-pressed and gmo free plus has more omega 6 and 3 than olive oil and high in vitamin E. I try and buy gmo free products as much as possible.

I'm sick and tired of these companies basically poisoning us with all the unnecessary ingredients and extremely poor quality ingredients. We live in a new age where the almighty dollar means the most and greed is no longer the norm but EXCESSIVE greed being the norm now. It use to be that companies rewarded those who helped get them to the top. Now, it's more like let me kick you off the ladder otherwise I'll have to share my profits with you. It really sickens me that our society has become what it is today.

qvc150491330828651.577273 PostsRegistered 12/7/2010

I don't know what to say. The business about evoo is totaly confusing. The complaints about canola oil is even more bizarre and not convincing.

katkitty1330862960.5534730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

For those that were interested in the information, I hope we all become wiser shoppers!

QVC15049, here is further information that may interest you:

"GMOs and why you should never use Canola oil."

I'll link the source and also copy it all here in case someone won't hit the link for whatever reason:

" Olive oil comes from olives. Sesame seed oil comes from sesame seeds.But what is a canola? Canola is actually a made-up word for a genetically modified product.

Canola stands for “Canadian oil low acid.” It’s (sadly) a Canadian invention and subsidized by the government. The subsidies make it very cheap to use, so almost all processed or packaged foods contain canola oil. Be sure to read the ingredients.

Canola oil is developed from the rapeseed plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. These oils have long been used for industrial purposes (in candles, lipsticks, soaps, inks, lubricants, and biofuels). It’s an industrial oil, not a food.

Rapeseed oil is the source behind mustard gas, and on its own it causes emphysema, respiratory distress, anemia, constipation, irritability, and blindness. But through the beauty of genetic modification, we now sell it as an edible oil.

The claim is that canola is safe to use because through modification it is no longer rapeseed but “canola.” Except… canola is just genetically modified rapeseed. It has been marketed as a wonder oil that is low in saturated fats with a beneficial omega-3 fatty acid profile. It is recognized by the American Dietetic Association and the American Heart Association based on the belief that the absence of saturated fats alone makes it healthy.

It is now believed that rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest. One possible effect of long-term use is the destruction of the protective coating surrounding nerves called the myelin sheath. This is like having raw, open wires in the body. Some symptoms include:

* tremors and shaking
* uncoordination when walking or writing
* slurred speech
* deterioration of memory and thinking processes
* fuzzy or low audio levels
* difficulty u*r*i*n*a*t*i*n*g/incontinence
[a no- no word couldn't post as is]

* breathing problems/short of breath

* nervous breakdown
* numbness and tingling in extremities
* heart problems/arrhythmia

From a nutritional perspective, canola oil has been found to deplete Vitamin E. It has a tendency to inhibit proper metabolism of foods and normal enzyme function. It also depresses the immune system.

Today, 72% of all products from the United States are genetically modified. The top 3 genetically modified foods are:

1. canola
2. corn
3. soy

Not too far behind them are potatoes, tomatoes, sweet peppers, peanuts, and sunflower.

Companies that commonly use genetic modification are:

* Kellogg’s
* Kraft
* Miss Vickie’s
* Hershey’s
* Coke
* Gatorade
* General Mills
* Labatt beer
* McCain
* No Name
* President’s Choice
* Quaker Oats
* Ragu

When an attempt was made for new legislation to force the labeling of genetically modified products in grocery stores, the three companies of Kellogg’s, Monsanto, and DuPont spent $55 millions to fight it and eventually won. It is not mandatory for companies to let the consumers know when they have used genetic modification. Which is why today I refuse to use a Kellogg’s product (very corn-based). Produce that is genetically modified is sometimes identified by a 5-digit number on its sticker that starts with an 8. But not always.

NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF GMOs ON HUMANS

1. Toxicity

Apparently they have GMO Christmas trees that glow in the dark. Slightly cool, but kind of disturbing. They can also make pigs glow in the dark by injecting them with jellyfish.

2. Allergic reactions

Our bodies were not built to recognize and consume GMOs. They are foreign substances in our digestive system and in our bloodstream.

3. Antibiotic resistance

Many plants are engineered to become resistant. We consume those same toxins and may in turn develop resistances.

4. Cancer

GMOs are an offense to our cells. They depress our immune system and may allow for the onset of cancer.

5. Immuno-suppresion

Our immune system doesn’t recognize GMOs. It works to expel them from our bodies as soon as possible, and has less time to work towards our general well being.

Besides the above, GMOs have a negative effect on nature. It upsets the balance of the earth, harms wild plants, and disturbs the life cycle of wild animals.
WHAT CAN WE DO?

Since learning the above, I’ve made some changes. They’re small, but I feel good about them.

1. I don’t buy or use anything that contains canola.
2. I don’t buy or use any Kellogg’s products.
3. I look at the produce stickers on my fruits and vegetables. Just in case.
4. I stay away from processed foods, as they are most likely GMO.

GMOs are a big scary topic. But even without labeling, most of us can incorporate small changes to eat more naturally."

http://vanessaruns.com/2011/02/08/gmos-and-why-you-should-never-use-canola-oil/

Another:

Poisonous Foods!! What the major Health Food Stores are not telling you about the safety of their health foods.

snip:

"Canola oil from the rape seed, referred to as the Canadian oil because Canada is mainly responsible for it being marketed in the USA. Studies with lab animals were disastrous. Rats developed fatty degeneration of heart, kidney, adrenals, and thyroid gland. When canola oil was withdrawn from their diets, the deposits dissolved but scar tissue remained on all vital organs. No studies on humans were made before money was spent to promote Canola oil in the USA. Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) is a rare fatal degenerative disease caused by a build up long-chain fatty acids (c22 to c28) which destroys the myelin (protective sheath) of the nerves. Canola oil is a very long chain fatty acid oil (c22). Those who will defend canola oil say that the Chinese and Indians have used it for centuries with no effect, however it was in an unrefined form. (* taken from FATS THAT HEAL AND FATS THAT KILL by Udo Erasmus.)"

the rest:

http://www.bhawkindustries.com/blank?pageid=41&catstart=0&prodstart=0

In addition, a recent report from the EPA (1998) states that they have classified canola oil as a biopesticide which ..."has low chronic toxicities". Further, they say that no [ USA] studies have been done regarding toxic effects on Humans. The fact that they state that it is a pesticide and that there have been no studies, plus the fact it is a GM food, says to us it is something to stay away from! It is like so many other things "they" say are good for us like fluoride, canola oil and fluoride both accumulate and build up in the Human systems.

http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm

Last edited on 3/4/2012

Last edited on 3/4/2012

debc1330863942.932765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

I've had good, bad, and inbetween and personally I don't like any of them. How much would one have to ingest to make a difference?

Cheese with that whine?

carrob1330864739.1531816 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

Thanks for posting this!

Judaline1330867118.5615880 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

katkitty the other day I was in a pinch (no pun intended) and had to run up to the corner grocery for a spice instead of getting the organic elsewhere. Anyway, it was McCormick brand and after I made my dish, I emailed the McCormick company to see if their spices were GMOd and they are. They gave me a list of reasons why they were 'perfectly safe'. Uh-huh. Looks like Monsanto has them in their pocket. One of millions.

Mustangshar1330867566.0977918 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Chicago Burbs

WOW! Thank you for posting up...

Sharon :)
WNYgal said The Shame Sisters, otherwise known as Linea Anonymous.

beachbird1330868085.647315 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007By the River

The UC Davis study quoted here was published in 2010. I wonder how accurately the results describe the olive oil we are using now.

katkitty1330868808.0234730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 3/4/2012 Judaline said:

katkitty the other day I was in a pinch (no pun intended) and had to run up to the corner grocery for a spice instead of getting the organic elsewhere. Anyway, it was McCormick brand and after I made my dish, I emailed the McCormick company to see if their spices were GMOd and they are. They gave me a list of reasons why they were 'perfectly safe'. Uh-huh. Looks like Monsanto has them in their pocket. One of millions.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! Just one more product to stay away from! I think Monsanto wants to 'own' all the seed in the world thru patented gmo's. The thing is, the gmo seed is sterile so farmers can't use their 'seeding seed' (best seed) to replant but continually buy from Monsanto every year.

Many independent studies are now saying how toxic the gmo food is to humans & animals. And, the non gmo crops are becoming cross contaminated by the gmo crops; the 'superweeds that they are attempting to control by altering the plants to be resistant, has now made the weeds resistant to industrial grade weed killers.

The solution by the EPA? To use a dioxin, (banned and known to be seriously harmful), an 'agent orange' type 'weed killer' in aerial crop spraying. Sheer stupidity gone to seed.

Many countries are saying no! way! to gmo crops. One country just burned every gmo crop in their fields.

katkitty1330869684.3374730 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 3/4/2012 beachbird said:

The UC Davis study quoted here was published in 2010. I wonder how accurately the results describe the olive oil we are using now.

I look at it this way: since there is no pressure ( by anyone FDA etc) for any of the offenders to clean up their party, do you think any of them did on their own? Most people don't know about it so it doesn't effect the money stream thru loss of sales or fines.The product was being adulterated & mis labelled on purpose to begin with for a reason. Profit.

There are regulations in place as to what criteria constitutes pure evoo, but no checking compliance or much testing or enforcement. Buyer beware.

If you think this is awful, you should look into maple syrup and honey. Same trick! I now get my unfiltered, unpasturized honey from the bee keeper so I know it's good & really raw. The bee pollen is actually one of the ingredients that is good for you. It helps your body create an immunity to allergies. I'm still looking for an excellent source for really good, fresh & real maple syrup.

Judaline1330870722.09715880 PostsRegistered 8/26/2006street of dreams

Well said about the GMO crops and Monsanto owning all the seeds, katkitty. I had read that. There's no way out I don't think. The Mad Men of the seed.

Please post if you find a pure maple syrup. I'm sure I could find some online but it's so costly and then add shipping-not gonna do it.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next